Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's more specific stuff in Fury than just the stuff about loving Hitler for a bar of chocolate, think of the scene where War Daddy teaches Machine how to gently caress, the gazes of the onlookers, etc. It's really, really explicit and uncomfortable.

Also, I think one of the most interesting things is that Joker cops her style. He's the famous one, the one with the rep, but is envious of her sexual availibility and confidence. He's annoyed with the day to day of being a trap lord and fantasizes about being Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, I think one of the most interesting things is that Joker cops her style. He's the famous one, the one with the rep, but is envious of her sexual availibility and confidence. He's annoyed with the day to day of being a trap lord and fantasizes about being Harley.

Who among us doesn't?

Really thought his scenes were great, as brief as they were. His fashion was the kind of sleaze I really dig. It's forced and gross and great.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Who among us doesn't?

Really thought his scenes were great, as brief as they were. His fashion was the kind of sleaze I really dig. It's forced and gross and great.

This is why i want more joker scenes. I was excited to see what sort of awful Leto could bring to the joker, which is kinda his whole point, and its a shame they didn't push it in the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saw this again last night because a friend of mine hadn't seen it and it was $5 movie day so I treated her to it.

It actually made a lot more sense and was generally even better the second time. I can only imagine how good Ayer's original cut must have been, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Saw this again last night because a friend of mine hadn't seen it and it was $5 movie day so I treated her to it.

It actually made a lot more sense and was generally even better the second time. I can only imagine how good Ayer's original cut must have been, though.

According to Ayer this was his original cut.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
That boggles me, this could be a really genuinely good movie if they gave it the BvS Ultimate treatment, nope, that was the ultimate cut.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The structure of the film, albeit strange, is very consistent. You get Waller getting the green light, Enchantress loving stuff up, and then the Squad gets activated.

What would improve the film is the addition of a second act, but that doesn't appear to have ever been filmed. It's just a subversion of the typical plot structure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
A woman pelvic thrusts a beam of light out of her into the sky and you don't think the film is a little bit queer? Like Joker is straight up super queer and that doesn't even get into the outlandish costumes he makes his henchmen wear, Batman regretfully having to give mouth to mouth to Harley Quinn etc.. etc.. All the guys looking lustfully at Deadshot as he outperforms them, etc..

I'd have to actually go and rewatch the whole thing, but it's definitely got some really queer themes going on. Oh Diablo accepting this group of people as his family suddenly?

Of course eye of beholder etc.. etc..

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I need to re-watch it, obviously. I remember all those things and liking them, I feel like this'll be a better "home theater" movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

A woman pelvic thrusts a beam of light out of her into the sky and you don't think the film is a little bit queer? Like Joker is straight up super queer and that doesn't even get into the outlandish costumes he makes his henchmen wear, Batman regretfully having to give mouth to mouth to Harley Quinn etc.. etc.. All the guys looking lustfully at Deadshot as he outperforms them, etc..

I'd have to actually go and rewatch the whole thing, but it's definitely got some really queer themes going on. Oh Diablo accepting this group of people as his family suddenly?

Of course eye of beholder etc.. etc..

Joker being gay is not a thing that ever occurred to me .Nor Batman's slowness to induce CPR, or that anyone was looking lustily at Deadshot - it seem more in awe or envy.

It feels like trying to interpret this as queer or gay or whatever is like pounding a square dick into a round butt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He isn't saying that Joker is gay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He isn't saying that Joker is gay.

Contextually it seemed like it. Is he saying Joker/Batman et al are queerly themed? Which is kinda pretty similar, no?

I don't think I'm understanding.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drifter posted:

Contextually it seemed like it. Is he saying Joker/Batman et al are queerly themed? Which is kinda pretty similar, no?

I don't think I'm understanding.

The Batman stuff you don't even need to get into, that's such well trod territory it's passe. Fetishman, with a teen boy sidekick, cultlike homofascist worshipping of the body and gratuitious action, etc etc. Whatever.

Leto has said in interviews that Bowie was specifically a reference for the Joker (as opposed to Ledger's influence, Tom Waits). This makes sense because Leto is also a pop star patterned after Bowie, but also, this is completely taken from the comics. The three biggest things about the Joker that have apparently endured from the comics are: no fixed backstory (established in Killing Joke), Harley Quinn, and a constantly shifting persona. The last is the most interesting, because when Grant Morrison returned after a decade and a half to do some more Batman stuff, he specifically cited Bowie and his various "periods" to give the Joker justification to be everything from Crime Clown to Force of Chaos. Who better? Androgynous, lurid, mysterious, etc. He changes as often as Batman does, implication being, since Batman is purely reactionary, that Batman changes in response to the Joker.

He's the "better class of criminal" Batman has always sought, a desire fulfilled. The Joker is a trendsetter, a flamboyant art criminal, and Batman is a groupie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 8, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

I think the problem is that Ayer doesn't really have a queer enough vision for camp. The closest he really comes is the duality between Joker and Harley as this "gender bending, but not really" cheesecake couple, which, while great, isn't really carrying the bigger picture.

"'Ey, what the hell you locked up for, Lil B?'
poo poo, y'know, tiny pants... Y'know, pink bandana... Normal poo poo. Y'know we squadded up in jail though, bruh. It ain't nothin'. Y'know we real connected, well respected. You feel me? Bitch Mob killers, hitters."
-Lil B, "Connected in Jail"

"'Ey bruh. Ey, you ever think we're about to get out of, uh... you know... where we at right now, this hell - this jail?
'Bitch, hellnaw we ain't gon' go nowhere. We trapped in BasedWorld.'
BITCH MOB THUGGIN', SKI MASK THUGGIN' [x8]"
-Lil B, "Ski Mask Thuggin"

"ASAP, I be down with the MAC
Like a lesbian, nigga, I be down with the strap
Fully extension'd, like the girls with the braids
Nigga, Westside - couldn't hold me in the cage."
-Lil B, "Green Card"

Suicide Squad is totally doing a similar play on MAC and, y'know, M·A·C. I wasn't joking about this being an adaptation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"'Ey, what the hell you locked up for, Lil B?'
poo poo, y'know, tiny pants... Y'know, pink bandana... Normal poo poo. Y'know we squadded up in jail though, bruh. It ain't nothin'. Y'know we real connected, well respected. You feel me? Bitch Mob killers, hitters."
-Lil B, "Connected in Jail"

"'Ey bruh. Ey, you ever think we're about to get out of, uh... you know... where we at right now, this hell - this jail?
'Bitch, hellnaw we ain't gon' go nowhere. We trapped in BasedWorld.'
BITCH MOB THUGGIN', SKI MASK THUGGIN' [x8]"
-Lil B, "Ski Mask Thuggin"

"ASAP, I be down with the MAC
Like a lesbian, nigga, I be down with the strap
Fully extension'd, like the girls with the braids
Nigga, Westside - couldn't hold me in the cage."
-Lil B, "Green Card"

Suicide Squad is totally doing a similar play on MAC and, y'know, M·A·C. I wasn't joking about this being an adaptation.

I've listened to way too little Lil B. I just looked him up a little now and found this, and it's basically perfection and also, you're right, fits the anti-cinematic tone of the movie perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5PVFjsQG8

You know what's a another good pairing with Suicide Squad? Ang Lee's Hulk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Drifter posted:

Joker being gay is not a thing that ever occurred to me .Nor Batman's slowness to induce CPR, or that anyone was looking lustily at Deadshot - it seem more in awe or envy.

It feels like trying to interpret this as queer or gay or whatever is like pounding a square dick into a round butt.

Your interpretation of what we are talking about is obviously coming from the perception that Queer = Gay. When we are talking about things being queer we are saying it's not hetero-normative. Meaning that it does not fit the viewpoint of promoting heterosexuality and all that is related to that over other lifestyles/ sexual orientations.

When I say " Joker is queer in Suicide Squad" I am not saying "Joker sucks dick". I am saying Joker has to be queer and not heteronormative because he is a reflection of Batman and Batman's super power is " heteronormativity" in this specific media.

It's actually what I really really liked about Leto's Joker.

edit:

Harley Quinn can be seen as the feminine part of Jokers psyche or a extension of his psyche and Joker uses her to entice men.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Your interpretation of what we are talking about is obviously coming from the perception that Queer = Gay. When we are talking about things being queer we are saying it's not hetero-normative. Meaning that it does not fit the viewpoint of promoting heterosexuality and all that is related to that over other lifestyles/ sexual orientations.

When I say " Joker is queer in Suicide Squad" I am not saying "Joker sucks dick". I am saying Joker has to be queer and not heteronormative because he is a reflection of Batman and Batman's super power is " heteronormativity" in this specific media.

It's actually what I really really liked about Leto's Joker.

edit:

Harley Quinn can be seen as the feminine part of Jokers psyche or a extension of his psyche and Joker uses her to entice men.

Joker probably sucks a whole lotta dick tho... :gay:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just Harley's good friend Ol' Strappy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That baseball bat isn't just for hittin' things. :heysexy:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Ouch!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't see how you could watch the look Joker gets on his face when he's offering Harley to that thug guy and not think "Well he's a queer bird".

I mean it's essentially a scene where he wants to gently caress a dude via the surrogate of his feminine half given flesh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The more I think about it the more I really like Leto's Joker.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Hollismason posted:

The more I think about it the more I really like Leto's Joker.

This is the same for me. In all the promotional stuff and all that leading up to Suicide Squad coming out i was mostly just like, "Oh boy, how 'edgy' and weird are they going to make the joker this time" in an extremely sarcastic tone while figuring it would just be bad and forgettable. But the more i read into the actual perfoemance given, the more i actually want to see more of Leto as the joker.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really liked Leto in the scene with Common. It was so uncomfortable and feverish.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

precision posted:

I don't see how you could watch the look Joker gets on his face when he's offering Harley to that thug guy and not think "Well he's a queer bird".

I mean it's essentially a scene where he wants to gently caress a dude via the surrogate of his feminine half given flesh.

I took that scene to be something entirely different. He's offering Harley to the gangster, but that "offering" is as genuine and honest as TDK's Joker saying, "hey guys let's all dress up as clowns and rob a bank." What he's really doing is making the gangster an offering to Harley. She's not going to be impressed with flowers any more than Lili Von Shtupp would have been. You want to know what really gets Harley's motor going? Murder. Kill a human being in front of her for no reason at all, that's a REAL romantic gesture right there.

I think if Suicide Squad Joker wanted to gently caress a dude, he'd just gently caress a dude.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

I think if Suicide Squad Joker wanted to gently caress a dude, he'd just gently caress a dude.

Yeah, he's queer in the way Hannibal Lecter is in the Bryan Fuller show. It's beyond sexuality. Intimacy for him in any romantic or sexual sense is inextricably transgressive; it's an active challenge to what's normative, and the intimacy comes from the act of pushing boundaries rather than something mundane like forming a stable non-normative relationship.

On Hannibal, it's not that he wanted to gently caress Will Graham. He wanted to possess him, to make Will into him. Which is why the series finale, where Hannibal and Will co-murder the Red Dragon, serves as an ultimate consummation. If they'd flat-out hosed afterwards, it'd only have rendered the scene more "normal."

In this movie, I got the sense that that's how the Joker sees Harley. But *she* ultimately wants that stable relationship, hence the hyperbolic depiction of this 50's suburban cliche.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought that Harley's fantasy was really loving dumb and it makes the character less

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

I thought that Harley's fantasy was really loving dumb and it makes the character less

It sets up the silliest gag in the movie, where she's reading a Harlequin paperback.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I feel like Harley's fantasy was a really fitting parallel to Diablo's, now that I think about it. Both of these characters ostensibly fantasize about having "the perfect family," but ultimately they have to "own that poo poo" that when put in a ball and chain, they chew their arm off to get away. Thin line between love and hate, revolver, revolving door, etc., etc.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Honestly the only moment where Joker really read as queer was the kitchen scene where he sits in Barinholtz's lap, and even that is more of an extension of the predator/prey theme, this power tripping bully who dresses up in this ridiculous tiger shirt to make it clear that he's projecting an image of power and strength getting utterly emasculated by the real power player in the situation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Would you live for me" is really queer in the 'perverse' sense, like Harley's fantasy. Her fantasy is not living in an Eisenhower era suburb, her fantasy is being barefoot and in curlers when daddy brings home the bacon. It's a kink performance. The other part of her fantasy is a famous Alex Ross painting, who is best known for Norman Rockwell-ing up the superhero stuff, making it upright and conservative, but a huge part of his work is like, 70s kitsch and winking at his audience with realistic crotch bulges.

The specific Harley and Joker painting is like a "classy" Bonnie and Clyde '96.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
In return, Joker literally becomes "the bacon." True love conquers all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

In return, Joker literally becomes "the bacon." True love conquers all.

All the cops want to screw her so she just fantasizes her dead boyfriend as one of the cops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One thing that sticks with me for how bizarre it is is that Batman definitely makes out with Harley Quinn.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
And it makes him so mad. It's the Elmer Fudd falling for Bugs Bunny all over again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

And it makes him so mad. It's the Elmer Fudd falling for Bugs Bunny all over again.

I'm sorry to keep going on about this, but one of the reasons I like Ayer so much is that he does such a great job teasing out so much from so little. That's just a tiny little moment, but it's relevant, because it's also part of Col. Flagg's story. He's an elite soldier who's talked about like a piece of poo poo by his boss, not because she expected better of him, but because she knows that men are slaves to their passions. And he definitely feels like a piece of poo poo for falling hard for Dr. June Moone (what a name, btw) because in his simple mind, he can't decide whether he's been manipulated, seduced, whatever. It doesn't matter, though, because he knows what he feels. It's being judged that's intolerable, even moreso than being used because at least that's worth it for the sake of devotion.

Even when Bruce Wayne fucks women, it's like he's pretend loving them to uphold an image. So what's Batman doing when he just can't help himself? Is Batman loving up? (yes he is)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Cara Delevinge's gyrating is so hokey and great. It's another one of those things where you're forced to make the comparison to, like, Lee Meriwether in Batman.

It's another reason why the comparisons to Deadpool or Guardians fall so flat. Ayers' vision has far more in common with the classic '60s series and the Tim Burton movies.

It feels though like the movie itself is afraid of going all out with it. Most of her gyration is seen in the background of shots, or away from our main point of focus- like they're sort of ashamed of it or it tested badly so they cut out what shots of it they could. Similarly her halo of eyes only reads as such in a couple of shots.

Ayer may well be okay with the theatrical cut, but then Ridley Scott was happy to go along with the reedit of Legend, since he wanted to make a movie with mass appeal. It still feels like this is a film that's been through the cuisinart.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Batman punches a woman, arrests a black man like a weird good guy with a gun, and threatens a black woman.

Like his rescue of Harley Quinn is so ridiculous because he causes her to be put in danger so that he can save her.

Between BvS and this film they've basically made Batman a weird sovereign citizen manchild.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I still hold the Chapo reading where Batman is Peter Thiel and Superman is Erdogan.

• Locked thread