Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I never saw Batman v. Superman but everyone I know IRL who has seen it says the movie was completely joyless and lacked any sort of entertainment value, even ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

But they're only pretending to be overly verbose flowery text aspies, so it's ok?

this is not cool or good imo in my opinion

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't say his analyses make any sense at all, and what makes that scenario lovely is not so much SMG himself (at least that I've seen), it's the weird groupies that get really nasty when you disagree with him. I've had long conversations with him about Prometheus and Interstellar and he never struck me as a really unpleasant person, but the 8-10 hard core SMG fans that hang on his every word, gently caress them all :shrug:

he gets pissy when you call him on his poo poo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well I've only talked with him at length a few times and that was quite a while ago (Prometheus theatrical release), maybe he's taking himself more seriously these days :shrug: That's a bummer.

e: I guess having a dozen people read your gibberish posts and tell you they're actually really good and insightful for several years straight might gently caress you up some

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

I never saw Batman v. Superman but everyone I know IRL who has seen it says the movie was completely joyless and lacked any sort of entertainment value, even ironically.

Affleck was good, everything else, including the writing for Affleck, sucked immense amounts of poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It bugs me that people try to point to the Batman action scenes as the "oh but you can't deny that.... was good" moment.

I mean this is me being snobby and :goonsay:, granted. Even so I already had a way better visual experience with Batman playing the first two Arkham games that watching that scene made me go "ok what else is new?" Then there was his dream fight with the paradaemons where Syndyer "master of visuals" didn't have the foresight to block properly so you get overhead shots of the mooks circling Batman and attacking him one at a time despite having rifles and poo poo.

Even if you throw it on-balance and say those were the "best parts" they were still only on par with what, the underwhelming last action scenes in Captain America: The First Avenger?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mind the walrus posted:

It bugs me that people try to point to the Batman action scenes as the "oh but you can't deny that.... was good" moment.

I mean this is me being snobby and :goonsay:, granted. Even so I already had a way better visual experience with Batman playing the first two Arkham games that watching that scene made me go "ok what else is new?" Then there was his dream fight with the paradaemons where Syndyer "master of visuals" didn't have the foresight to block properly so you get overhead shots of the mooks circling Batman and attacking him one at a time despite having rifles and poo poo.

Even if you throw it on-balance and say those were the "best parts" they were still only on par with what, the underwhelming last action scenes in Captain America: The First Avenger?

I dunno if this is directed at my last post, but I meant Affleck delivered his lines as well as they could be and looked good in the bat suit as well as the Armani one. The action felt like an attempt to make a more brutal Arkham fight and Snyder then decided Batman needed to have a fuckin gat, man.

I look forward to a Batfleck solo flick, hopefully without any input from Snyder

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh it wasn't directed at your post as much as a general observation tangential to your point.

I agree Affleck was the best part, just that everything he was given to do--including the action sequences--were garbage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Booblord Zagats posted:

I dunno if this is directed at my last post, but I meant Affleck delivered his lines as well as they could be and looked good in the bat suit as well as the Armani one. The action felt like an attempt to make a more brutal Arkham fight and Snyder then decided Batman needed to have a fuckin gat, man.

I look forward to a Batfleck solo flick, hopefully without any input from Snyder

I'm pretty sure that Affleck had a fairly large amount of input into the version of Batman we got in BvS, it'd be interesting to know which parts of it were Snyder and which parts were Affleck

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't say his analyses make any sense at all, and what makes that scenario lovely is not so much SMG himself (at least that I've seen), it's the weird groupies that get really nasty when you disagree with him. I've had long conversations with him about Prometheus and Interstellar and he never struck me as a really unpleasant person, but the 8-10 hard core SMG fans that hang on his every word, gently caress them all :shrug:

This right here. His analyses are mostly harmless and sometimes actually clever and interesting, although he's got a tendency to shift the goalposts of his analysis without warning or reason, and then play the puppet master card when called out on it.

He's also got a tendency to derail threads towards his type of analytical discussion at the expense of all other conversations. Like yeah metatextual analysis can be fun and interesting, but there's other fun and interesting things to talk about with movies too, and it doesn't have to be either-or. It doesn't even have to be all "AW YEAH THAT MOVIE WAS BALLER", either.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 8, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In other words a classical high-functioning autist who lucked into a community that feeds his bullshit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like analysis but it better be supported by contextual evidence or it's just worthless speculating. Which can be fun too but if you take it too seriously you're a dork.

afaik it's a lot of the latter and almost none of the former except maybe as a hook to draw you in

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mind the walrus posted:

In other words a classical high-functioning autist who lucked into a community that feeds his bullshit.

Kevin Smith?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
SMG knows precisely what he's doing. I wish he'd use his powers for good, but instead he shits up an entire forum with his (admittedly the highest-effort I've ever seen) gimmick. What actually bothers me is when otherwise quality posters like HUNDU or Hollismason get infected by his disease.

To say they're "harmless" is objectively incorrect. SMG is absolutely harmful on an academic level. You have a beer-drinking plebian Idiocracy citizen like me who is genuinely trying to learn how to understand the "message" of film, but I CAN'T learn because 90% of the time the "teacher" is going, "heh heh, the Avengers is about the role of strapon dildos in the sexual revolution of the 60s, heh, I'm making all the nerds so mad" instead of trying to teach people in an intellectually honest manner.

Is Ann Coulter "harmless" to the American political discourse? Is Fred Phelps "harmless" to Christianity?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah it's absolutely harmful. I used to like going in there and talking about films and whatever a little more seriously (esp since it annoys some GBS posters) but it's hard when it is just a bunch of pseudo intellectuals jerking each other and then getting mad at dissenting opinions.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I like talking about film but it's no fun in Cinema Discusso. The most prominent posters are all super weirdos

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

You have a beer-drinking plebian Idiocracy citizen like me who is genuinely trying to learn how to understand the "message" of film, but I CAN'T learn because 90% of the time the "teacher" is going, "heh heh, the Avengers is about the role of strapon dildos in the sexual revolution of the 60s, heh, I'm making all the nerds so mad" instead of trying to teach people in an intellectually honest manner.

Is Ann Coulter "harmless" to the American political discourse? Is Fred Phelps "harmless" to Christianity?

Not that this makes it any better, but a lot of academia in "soft arts" like film and literature is purposefully couched in jargon and obtuse language as a sort-of gate to keep the plebians out.

Moridin920 posted:

then getting mad at dissenting opinions.

This was what broke me in the end. I don't care if there's a difference of opinions, but there was a lot of throwing stones from glass houses and reliance on shouting down common folk who have their own non-academic, non-industry, non-specialized perspectives on movies that are beyond "I LOVE THIS MOVIE" but lower than "You clearly haven't watched all of Trouffat and read Satre and therefore could not possibly understand that Nine Lives is actually about the Indian caste system as seen through Donald Trump's urethra."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 8, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SMG knows precisely what he's doing. I wish he'd use his powers for good, but instead he shits up an entire forum with his (admittedly the highest-effort I've ever seen) gimmick. What actually bothers me is when otherwise quality posters like HUNDU or Hollismason get infected by his disease.

To say they're "harmless" is objectively incorrect. SMG is absolutely harmful on an academic level. You have a beer-drinking plebian Idiocracy citizen like me who is genuinely trying to learn how to understand the "message" of film, but I CAN'T learn because 90% of the time the "teacher" is going, "heh heh, the Avengers is about the role of strapon dildos in the sexual revolution of the 60s, heh, I'm making all the nerds so mad" instead of trying to teach people in an intellectually honest manner.

This is a really good point and I honestly hadn't considered it because I keep SMG on ignore 99% of the time.

mind the walrus posted:

Not that this makes it any better, but a lot of academia in "soft arts" like film and literature is purposefully couched in jargon and obtuse language as a sort-of gate to keep the plebians out.
This is true in the social sciences, and was one of several reasons why I didn't finish my Masters in criminal justice. 99% of the academic journals were written in unnecessarily obtuse language, and it was especially grating when those articles were trying to convey otherwise really straightforward ideas.
It was pretty entertaining seeing classmates bend over backwards to use similar jargon in their papers, and then look like idiots when reading their own papers aloud in presentations.
I very deliberately wrote all of my papers using easy to understand layman's terms and miraculously I was never marked down for it. :shobon:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What's the venn diagram look like for SMG supporters and Snyder defenders?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

quality posters like ... Hollismason

???

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
My 'anything to do with cinema' browsing has been 100% improved since I put SMG on ignore. I just cannot recommend it enough.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

He's also got a tendency to derail threads towards his type of analytical discussion at the expense of all other conversations.

He didn't even have to post in a thread at all for this to happen.

BEHOLD!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah, guilty

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

99% of the academic journals were written in unnecessarily obtuse language, and it was especially grating when those articles were trying to convey otherwise really straightforward ideas.

I very deliberately wrote all of my papers using easy to understand layman's terms and miraculously I was never marked down for it. :shobon:

you fool how will you convince the layman to pay you premium dollars though???

but yeah a lot of things are like that. Law is hella like that.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And now people are angry because Joe Manganiello is gonna be Deathstroke because he's too young. This from the same people who were ok with Bane not being a roided Mexican wrestler but instead Jim Sterling with a jockstrap on his face doing a gay Sean Connery impersonation.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/08/joe-manganiello-will-play-deathstroke-in-ben-afflecks-batman-movie/

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

the moot/4chan Effect

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something that just struck me, given all the depictions of Superman is bright and joyous and Batman is dark and grim, with as serious as the Superman portrayal has been I sort of wonder if flipping the script a bit to have Batman/Bruce be actually the more inspiring and hopeful character is what the movie needed.

The arrival of the Superman doesn't send Bruce into a suddenly crazy must kill Superman mode, but it maybe 'relieves' him in a way. Bruce sudden inspiration has given him more faith in Superman than even Superman has in himself. For years he's put himself in the position of being the all-powerful protector of the innocent because there was no one else out there, but he doesn't feel that after 20 years he's actually accomplished much and maybe done more harm than good. Then Superman shows up and Bruce sees that this is a decent guy and begins to slip out of being Batman a bit because he wonders what good he is anymore in a world where gods walk among them.

The sad thing though, is that he's sort of happy with this change. Even he feels that he's put enough lives at risk as a mere mortal trying to play superhero, that maybe this guy can do it better and do it where no one has to get hurt. The film could be more about Batman/Bruce operating out of the shadows one last time in an attempt to keep Superman in the light. It's sort of a continuation of the theme of the Nolan films (NOTE: EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RELATED) of Bruce finally thinking there's a hero who is the one the world both needs and deserves. He's been considering that maybe he has 'permission' to give up being Batman because something 'better' is there to do what he has been doing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

This is a really good point and I honestly hadn't considered it because I keep SMG on ignore 99% of the time.

you're a loving benedict arnold, buddy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

I do keep SMG on ignore, it's a good and smart idea and everyone should do it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

benedict arnold did nothing wrong

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lodin posted:

And now people are angry because Joe Manganiello is gonna be Deathstroke because he's too young. This from the same people who were ok with Bane not being a roided Mexican wrestler but instead Jim Sterling with a jockstrap on his face doing a gay Sean Connery impersonation.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/08/joe-manganiello-will-play-deathstroke-in-ben-afflecks-batman-movie/

Idk, I thought they'd get someone more well known.

Supposedly, IO9 talked with Geoff Johns, since he's been brought in to fix the DCEU. The Justice League movie is reportedly being cut down from two separate films into just one movie. Also, Johns apparently did rewrites on Wonder Woman and is writing the Ben Affleck solo Batman movie.

Also, I never noticed that Justice League is being released in November 2017, I'd assume around Thanksgiving. That sounds like a good 3 weeks before Star Wars Episode 8 comes out and pushes its poo poo in. Who is even running this show?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

Who is even running this show?

Idk but it's probably some idiot who is paid way too loving much to make these idiot decisions.

They're prolly gonna try to catch the Thanksgiving people which I guess is a good weekend but yeah 3 weeks later it's gonna drop off entirely when SW comes out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Also, I never noticed that Justice League is being released in November 2017, I'd assume around Thanksgiving. That sounds like a good 3 weeks before Star Wars Episode 8 comes out and pushes its poo poo in. Who is even running this show?

I doubt that's by accident, if they want to make any money at all off that dog then they'd better get it out before anything good gets released anywhere near it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I doubt that's by accident, if they want to make any money at all off that dog then they'd better get it out before anything good gets released anywhere near it.

Yeah, it seems like that they've been programming these releases to get as much money as they can opening weekend, drat the legs. Suicide Squad encountering no box office resistance until recently has been a surprise.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
they need to make wonder woman not in world war 1 and not a mexican, and presumably thats what the reshoots are for

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I do keep SMG on ignore, it's a good and smart idea and everyone should do it.

There's no point in ignoring people most of the time since the worst posters are bad partly because they get endlessly quoted and discussed. I've tried ignoring people in the past but it really only works out if it's just some white noise poster who just happens to rub you the wrong way. My ignore list right now is just one guy that kept crashing my phone with giant image dumps.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

There's no point in ignoring people most of the time since the worst posters are bad partly because they get endlessly quoted and discussed. I've tried ignoring people in the past but it really only works out if it's just some white noise poster who just happens to rub you the wrong way. My ignore list right now is just one guy that kept crashing my phone with giant image dumps.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it seems like that they've been programming these releases to get as much money as they can opening weekend, drat the legs. Suicide Squad encountering no box office resistance until recently has been a surprise.

I'm sure whoever came up with the release plan for SuiSquad was given the Golden Coke Spoon, yeah

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

but yeah 3 weeks later it's gonna drop off entirely when SW comes out.

That's plenty more time than it usually takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but it's probably some idiot who is paid way too loving much to make these idiot decisions.

also subject of the greatest burn letter of all time

• Locked thread