Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I get it that 4K is a gimmick and all but any TV bought in the last year or two will likely have it. It's pretty much a new standard.
Sure but hardly anyone has bought a TV in a year or two because we all bought our TVs a few years ago to upgrade to HD and those TVs still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I get it that 4K is a gimmick and all but any TV bought in the last year or two will likely have it. It's pretty much a new standard. When I got my TV last year I went out of my way to find a non-4K TV just to save money but it was pretty much not possible and I ended up with a 4K TV anyway

Y'all making this a big deal (or are simply poors)

Look at this big spender, I've still got a rear projection TV like an honest man.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, same logic as the console itself- I'll buy a new TV when my current one craps out, and chances are it'll be 4K, at which point I'll be open to a 4K console upgrade when that also craps out. I'm not going to toss either one just for the sake of pixel counts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is one case where building a gaming PC might actually increase interest in a console refresh, if you got a 1440p or 4K monitor for that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Sure but hardly anyone has bought a TV in a year or two because we all bought our TVs a few years ago to upgrade to HD and those TVs still work.

I bought a $300 1080p set in 2014. $300 every decade or thereabouts is all the god damned money this lovely goon will spend on TVs.

loving television.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk I sold my old TV on Craigslist after a year at like a 20% loss :shrug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
lol just buy one and quit hmmning and hawing over 300$ like a bunch of proles

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

acksplode posted:

This. Current TV is perfectly fine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

acksplode posted:

I'm on my third HDTV, first bought in 2005 for the 360, but even I can't justify ditching my high end 65" 1080p Samsung for a 4k tv, especially since Soviet Canuckistan always lags behind in high resolution tv.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Everyone in this thread bitching is gonna get one anyways

Pretty much every PlayStation console ever owns but nobody has faith in the PS4 Pro because of a blu ray format nobody actually possesses or whatever the gently caress. Go buy a new Ps4 Pro it's gonna kick some rear end in a year or two

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bubba Smith posted:

Pretty much every PlayStation console ever owns but nobody has faith in the PS4 Pro because of a blu ray format nobody actually possesses or whatever the gently caress. Go buy a new Ps4 Pro it's gonna kick some rear end in a year or two

But why would the ps pro not have UHD Bluray when even the dumbass xbone mini has it

Seems like a big misstep from Sony. Though I think in general the ps Pro seems like a misstep because microsoft is just creating a new console generation instead of doing an intermediate step.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I think that it won't really hurt the PS4 Pro that it can't play 4K blu-rays but it's going to sure hurt 4K blu-ray sales when absolutely nobody has a player.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

In two years you'll be saying the same thing about the PS5, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I saw a bit of news that says in ME:A the playable character thing isn't like the previous trilogy where you're playing the same person, just male or female but instead the male Ryder and female Ryder are two separate characters who are brother and sister.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

So I saw a bit of news that says in ME:A the playable character thing isn't like the previous trilogy where you're playing the same person, just male or female but instead the male Ryder and female Ryder are two separate characters who are brother and sister.

Taking cues from the storytelling design of Dragon Age 2 is always a good sign

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

So whichever one you chose the other one is going to be the bad guy huh

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Athanatos posted:

So whichever one you chose the other one is going to be the bad guy huh

Nah, they're going to die in the prologue.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CottonWolf posted:

Nah, they're going to die in the prologue.
That's not mutually exclusive

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CrashCat posted:

That's not mutually exclusive

If the final boss is my zombie sibling, I'm in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuylZ59B60U

Also they now have a Persona-style S-Link system or some poo poo

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
My current ps4 is hosed and overheats, I literally have to play with ice packs on top of it.

So yea I'll probably drop cash on the ps4.5 when my current one dies

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reminder that there is a free weekend for overwatch on ps4 starting tomorrow, if you didn't try the beta you should do it now because it's a cool game

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am curious if the ps4pro is any quieter than its predecessor. Since that is one of the few areas I would appreciate improvement.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is magical.

That guy looks more like me than the retarded JFK guy I got from 2k16 face scan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynr_iq8PNc

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a Jet Engine PS4™ and I'm too paranoid to open it up to try and fix it (no I don't care how easy you say it is), is it worth it to "upgrade" to a slim or should I wait and hope for a good trade in deal on the Pro?

Otherwise I was thinking of maybe buying a vertical stand or something but I'm not sure how effective that is.

The Pro has an overclocked CPU and the GPU is over twice the speed despite the console being a similar size to the normal PS4 so it's probably going to be really noisy. I'd go for the slim PS4 if you want something that runs quiet and cool, unless Sony has somehow hosed up yet again in that area but I don't see how they would.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

If your console is cooking itself anyway, and it's out of warranty, just take it apart and clean the dust out.
Took my PS3 from 'space heating jet engine' to 'cold and silent' in like a half hour tops.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sony opened a new showroom in NYC recently, and since there weren't enough people for all the VR demo stations I got to use them for almost an hour. The headset put a bit of uncomfortable pressure on my glasses when I looked straight up, which can probably be chalked up to it not being adjusted properly. It also had a good bit more light leakage than I remember.

EVE Valkyrie was the same as before- little pew pew spaceships flying around giant spaceships which is alway exhilarating. Still not exactly deep and the focus on multiplayer doesn't appeal to me. If they announced that it had a decent number of SP missions of decent lengths (the demo is 5-10 minutes long) they might have a system seller.

Battlezone is the same sort of thing, with the same caveats. Sit in a detailed, all-encompassing cockpit and drive around a sci-fi world blowing up neon drones, with twists that try to take advantage of the VR setting (like forcing you to look up for verticality). Add variety and content volume and there you go.

Super Hyper Cube is sort of the mutant love child of Tempest and Tetris. A big part of the game is frantically peering around your puzzle item in the foreground to see the challenge approaching, because in the neutral position it's completely obscured. It's going to be the Hexic HD of of PSVR, not suited to marathon sessions but perfect for killing time during downloads.

VR Worlds (I did the ocean descent demo) is what you're going to put your friends into to show off the headset, there's no reason to do any of it a second time.

And then there's Farpoint, which the clerk proudly informed me was the only demo station in the world not at a gaming conference. I got a few twinges of discomfort here and there, mostly when trying to walk and look in different directions. I could adapt to it because the walking speed is very slow- it's practically a rail shooter. The aim peripheral was flawless, it even has a working holo sight in the virtual world. There's a sort of chaperone-like wireframe reminder of the camera's active range if you step too far out of it. You walk very slowly through caverns and over cliffs, shooting martian spiders every so often, until an enormous spider emerges from a cave at you and the demo ends.

Anyway, I think I'm getting one now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jerkface posted:

But why would the ps pro not have UHD Bluray when even the dumbass xbone mini has it

Seems like a big misstep from Sony. Though I think in general the ps Pro seems like a misstep because microsoft is just creating a new console generation instead of doing an intermediate step.

cause xbox 1 failed as a media box and ps4 succeeded as a game box
also 399 is a red line that sony won't cross for consoles after ps3 debacle and they also need to get good margins on it since its a luxury model so adding something that costs 20 dollars (idk what it would actually cost) more per unit or whatever is not going to be feasible.

the xb1s could do 4kbr because its just an old xb1 with an overclock and about half as much metal in the case. the heatsink size difference between the two models is a huge savings all by itself. the r+d for the 1s was all on the case whereas sony had to r+d entirely new chips. Xbox also needed to have some argument ready in 2016 for why they would let sony run away with the 4k market this year so if it does ruin their margins its nbd, they're in a holding pattern anyway til next fall.

anyway if anyone knows how little interest there is in 4k br its probably sony and their floundering tv/home theater business. It shows how ascendant the playstation division is that they now call the shots on what gets into their machines while xbox is stuck giving up games to win10 and taking cortana onboard

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 9, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The Win10 crossover is really great seeing as how the consensus is 'one major console and a decent pc' . Buy a bluray drive for your desktop and a pspro for the price of scorpio.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah taking exclusives to pc is a huge consumer win (except uwp sucks rear end for consumers in its own restrictive way but still its good from a choice angle) but its a disaster for xbox as hardware as the nearly 2 decade money pit division is finally getting put in its place by the rest of the company

sounds like they had a budget meeting about wasting money on a second voice track that players won't hear

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 9, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is magical.

I've been referring to NBA2k as persona basketball for like 2 years, the s link system is nothing new. 2k16 was free on PS+ and probably the best game that's been on there in forever, the story mode is always fun as hell

edit: seriously, unlike , say , Madden, which can be totally impenetrable even if you follow football, the nba2k games are really fun. i don't watch basketball at all and had a blast

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 9, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a pity the series is loving impenetrable for new players

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's a pity the series is loving impenetrable for new players

Hah you posted this during my edit and I guess we disagree . Coming from Madden it's not that bad but yeah I understand there's still somewhat of a learning curve

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i couldn't make sense of what was happening and i have pages of posts about how good an anime fighting game's tutorial is. i haven't played a sports game since nhl 95 though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks so good and fun but the game doesn't want to tell you how to play it at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They are actually releasing a free demo called The Prelude tomorrow that anyone can download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAZduTwQbo

Your character and progress will directly transfer to the full game. It will also include tutorials that they said have been overhauled to be friendlier to new players, so you don't have to pay to find out

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just play as the warriors and have curry shoot contested 3s from half court all game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

the Madden where it had simplified controls and you could play as just one guy through his career was almost simple enough for me to handle. but i lost interest eventually anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I love that sports games are getting these weird-rear end story modes now. When they had that trailer for FIFA 17 I was like, I may actually play a soccer game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUb63Dc7-Bw
28 min chat with wichard fwom DF

• Locked thread