Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would frankly be surprised if Deathstroke was the only villain in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I would frankly be surprised if Deathstroke was the only villain in the film.

Yeah I wonder if Joker will show up, or if they're writing him out as we speak because of Jared Leto's many shenanigans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What if the true villain... was inside us all along?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Koalas March posted:

I would really like to see a well done Riddler.

I have my doubts that would happen in the current DCEU. They would probably make him into a serial killer with Saw style death traps or something.

Also there's no way we'd get a riddler movie without a secondary physical threat villain so that Batman could still solve the problems by punching them.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 8, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am anxious to see how they try and get around him being slagged as Deadpool but worse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

I am anxious to see how they try and get around him being slagged as Deadpool but worse.

They won't. DC loves DEATHSTROKE THE BADASS ULTRA GRIM EVIL BATMAN!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jude Law would've made a terrible Superman but probably a good Riddler

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Jude Law would've made a terrible Superman but probably a good Riddler

Jude Law is a tiny, tiny man. I can't imagine hey could make him look big enough to be a convincing Superman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

They won't. DC loves DEATHSTROKE THE BADASS ULTRA GRIM EVIL BATMAN!

Aren't they running him right now as "The good guy with no moral code"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forget, didn't it leak that Joker is going to appear in Justice League? I'm a bit surprised to hear Deathstroke is the main villain in the Batman solo film after they have hinted at or set up Joker in 2 films now.

Then again the Joker was poorly received so I wonder if they are going to reduce his appearances. But probably not because this is DC we're talking about

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rhyno posted:

Jude Law is a tiny, tiny man. I can't imagine hey could make him look big enough to be a convincing Superman.

But in GATTACA they said he was a 6'2" Aryan ubermensch.

Was the whole film a lie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dario the Wop posted:

Matthew Bomer allegedly was denied the role when they found out he was gay.

that's a little weird considering the director of Superman Returns is one of the most prominent openly gay directors in Hollywood.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forget, didn't it leak that Joker is going to appear in Justice League? I'm a bit surprised to hear Deathstroke is the main villain in the Batman solo film after they have hinted at or set up Joker in 2 films now.

Then again the Joker was poorly received so I wonder if they are going to reduce his appearances. But probably not because this is DC we're talking about

They didn't say that Joker was going to be in Justice League, but DC said they had plans to use him "in future films" and people assumed it would be Batman solo and/or Justice League.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But in GATTACA they said he was a 6'2" Aryan ubermensch.

Was the whole film a lie?

Well he was in the chair the entire time, they probably put a few phone books under him to make him look taller.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's a little weird considering the director of Superman Returns is one of the most prominent openly gay directors in Hollywood.

Being behind the camera is a bit different. It was also wildly rumored that Routh was gay for a long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Yeah exactly, even if he bulked up some he wouldn't be a big guy like Superman is

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What if the true villain... was inside us all along?

Oh wow DC, ripping off Marvel again.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the press is to be believed Leto was very upset that most of his scenes were cut from Suicide Squad and Warner was upset with the public reception of this version so it's not impossible that they're going to rest the character for 2-3 years and recast him.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

They didn't say that Joker was going to be in Justice League, but DC said they had plans to use him "in future films" and people assumed it would be Batman solo and/or Justice League.

There was some always questionable 4chan or something leak of the Justice League plot which describes a comic (as in funny) scene in which the Joker and Harley knock over a bank to bait out Batman but the entire Justice League shows up.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

The concept art for Superman Flyby depicted a much more lithe Superman.

There's an interview with Jude Law about being up for the role here: http://moviepilot.com/posts/2723043

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 8, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas March posted:

Yeah I wonder if Joker will show up, or if they're writing him out as we speak because of Jared Leto's many shenanigans.

Yea, Leto is probably detriment to production. He'd be bitchy, and impossible to control of set. It wouldn't be worth getting the OMGJOKERSOHAWWWT girls in seats if he shits up the production.

Though I think it would be hilarious if Leto tried to big dog Affleck on the set of his own movie, and get's shut down in a "poo poo down, shut up" moment.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know Leto himself was poorly received, but I thought most people's reaction to the actual performance ranged from "Not bad" to "Best ever". He's not even in the movie long enough to do a particularly bad job. None of his scenes are the worst the movie had to offer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Leto is probably detriment to production. He'd be bitchy, and impossible to control of set. It wouldn't be worth getting the OMGJOKERSOHAWWWT girls in seats if he shits up the production.

Though I think it would be hilarious if Leto tried to big dog Affleck on the set of his own movie, and get's shut down in a "poo poo down, shut up" moment.

The Joker is, arguably speaking, DC's third-most popular character ever. There is a reason that DC has exposed and overexposed and overoverexposed the Joker so much, it's because he's arguably a bigger and more recognizable aspect of DC than loving Wonder Woman. There's a reason that when DC did the N52, they went through the insane canonical yoga they did to ensure that TKJ "happened", despite it completely and totally breaking believability that Barbara Gordon would become Batgirl, get shot, become Oracle, then rehabilitate from her "permanent" paralysis within five years. There's a reason that after the much-ballyhooed Fletcher Batgirl run, which was supposed to be the tip of the spear of DC's DCYou initiative, their request to retcon TKJ from existence (despite, ostensibly, all canon forever being up in the air) got shot down.

The Joker sells tickets. He just does. He's hugely popular, will remain hugely popular, and DC and WB will do everything and anything they can to ensure that he shows up in their movies, despite how otherwise deleterious his appearances are creatively or how negative the actor who plays him's impact would be.

I can't not see a Joker in a DCEU Batman movie. If Leto's so bad on set, the most I could see is them recasting the character, but the Joker will be in the Batman solo. I just can't possibly see a way he doesn't, not with the level of popularity the character has and DC's creative obsession with him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To pivot: DC’s Geoff Johns Reveals How ‘Justice League’ Will Address ‘Batman v Superman‘ Criticisms

If it was literally anyone else saying this poo poo I'd believe it, but how many goddamn times has Geoff Johns gone on record that the current state of DC (in some form or another) is super dark and gritty and pessimistic and that's bad, and then gone on to creatively direct something that ended up being even more grim and gritty and pessimistic, with the added benefit of someone's arm getting ripped off? Should we believe him now because he's not in charge of DC's comics division any more?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

To pivot: DC’s Geoff Johns Reveals How ‘Justice League’ Will Address ‘Batman v Superman‘ Criticisms

If it was literally anyone else saying this poo poo I'd believe it, but how many goddamn times has Geoff Johns gone on record that the current state of DC (in some form or another) is super dark and gritty and pessimistic and that's bad, and then gone on to creatively direct something that ended up being even more grim and gritty and pessimistic, with the added benefit of someone's arm getting ripped off? Should we believe him now because he's not in charge of DC's comics division any more?

"Johns also says that Justice League won’t have any of Snyder’s “controversial flourishes,”

... if you're not going to let Zach Snyder be fuckin' Zach Snyder then why are you having him direct your film? "Zach Snyder is directing but we're going to castrate him" is like the worst outcome imaginable because you won't even get his interesting failures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

The Joker is, arguably speaking, DC's third-most popular character ever. There is a reason that DC has exposed and overexposed and overoverexposed the Joker so much, it's because he's arguably a bigger and more recognizable aspect of DC than loving Wonder Woman. There's a reason that when DC did the N52, they went through the insane canonical yoga they did to ensure that TKJ "happened", despite it completely and totally breaking believability that Barbara Gordon would become Batgirl, get shot, become Oracle, then rehabilitate from her "permanent" paralysis within five years. There's a reason that after the much-ballyhooed Fletcher Batgirl run, which was supposed to be the tip of the spear of DC's DCYou initiative, their request to retcon TKJ from existence (despite, ostensibly, all canon forever being up in the air) got shot down.

The Joker sells tickets. He just does. He's hugely popular, will remain hugely popular, and DC and WB will do everything and anything they can to ensure that he shows up in their movies, despite how otherwise deleterious his appearances are creatively or how negative the actor who plays him's impact would be.

I can't not see a Joker in a DCEU Batman movie. If Leto's so bad on set, the most I could see is them recasting the character, but the Joker will be in the Batman solo. I just can't possibly see a way he doesn't, not with the level of popularity the character has and DC's creative obsession with him.

Yea, I was saying Leto, not the Joker. I agree at worst they'd recast the role with something who's not obsessed with being right there on the loving edge and poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Toxxupation posted:

Geoff Johns was, is, and always will be a hack and a company stooge. Justice League will be just as pointlessly joyless as the rest of the DC Murderverse.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Toxxupation posted:

Now I'm imagining Man of Steel as exactly the same, but the big controversial scene is Superman tearing Zod limb from limb.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll never not find it weird that the guy who wrote Black Adam gouging out Psycho-Pirates eyes through the back of his skull, on-panel, repeatedly critiques the industry for being too violent and gritty.

I suppose it would be admirable if he recognizes that he's contributed to it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He does know. He's not stupid. They're not his criticisms. They're the criticisms from the fans he's forced to address now that he's in charge. Leave it to the Internet to take the worst habits of someone and ignore all the great work they've done.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, I'm somebody that has largely enjoyed a lot of what Johns has written, so I'm just as much of a hypocrite really.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Why would Johns take responsibility for anything? It's all Alan Moore's fault.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heathen posted:

Why would Johns take responsibility for anything? It's all Dr. Manhattan's fault.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The only way this movie will be good is if Deathstroke only appears to recreate this scene

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

I mean, I'm somebody that has largely enjoyed a lot of what Johns has written, so I'm just as much of a hypocrite really.

You're not a hypocrite. Johns can cut to the heart of a character better than most. He just isn't afraid to show over the top violence. Rucka asked him about it, and Johns told him that growing up on Mortal Kombat makes it not seem like a big deal. And that's exactly what his violence is like. It's not stabbing and gunshots to the head, it's "Black Adam wins... FATALITY!" It's gruesome, but it never feels horrifying. Except maybe Sobek and Osiris. That poo poo was rough.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah, Sobek and Osiris was way harder to read, and that really made it an effective scene I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johns can occasionally get to the heart of a character but more often than not he gets to the Wikipedia Entry of the character. It's what gives us him doing his Hal Jordan: The Best Man Around bullshit which has little to do with any form of Hal Jordan that isn't filtered through Geoff Johns very particular brand of nostalgia.

Also I really genuinely don't get the "the violence isn't horrifying" stuff. It's absolutely horrifying, that is why people call it that. I've played Mortal Kombat since I was a kid and that doesn't suddenly mean that goresplosions or excessive acts of violence aren't still excessive. (Hell, Mortal Kombat X has fatalities that honestly make me feel sick and I'm absolutely not alone there.)

He can be an extremely good writer. His Flash was good. But the more he got let off the leash the more he let his worse impulses run wild and trying to defend the excessive stupid violence with "I grew up on Mortal Kombat! This is all normal to me" sounds really dumb to someone who also grew up with Mortal Kombat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like the Mortal Kombat fatality where the mans lifts you up into the air with his mind and then draws your digestive tract out through your mouth, that's totally not a big deal and not horrific at all

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Johns can occasionally get to the heart of a character but more often than not he gets to the Wikipedia Entry of the character. It's what gives us him doing his Hal Jordan: The Best Man Around bullshit which has little to do with any form of Hal Jordan that isn't filtered through Geoff Johns very particular brand of nostalgia.

Also I really genuinely don't get the "the violence isn't horrifying" stuff. It's absolutely horrifying, that is why people call it that. I've played Mortal Kombat since I was a kid and that doesn't suddenly mean that goresplosions or excessive acts of violence aren't still excessive. (Hell, Mortal Kombat X has fatalities that honestly make me feel sick and I'm absolutely not alone there.)

He can be an extremely good writer. His Flash was good. But the more he got let off the leash the more he let his worse impulses run wild and trying to defend the excessive stupid violence with "I grew up on Mortal Kombat! This is all normal to me" sounds really dumb to someone who also grew up with Mortal Kombat.

Geoff Johns presents Injustice 2, now with 100 percent more Superman lasering Billy Batson through the face

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first 50 or so issues of JSA that Johns co-wrote with David S. Goyer don't, as far as I can recall, have anyone being dismembered or exploded or otherwise mutilated, but then the first or second issue he writes on his own has Hawkman hacking off the Matter Master's arm with an axe as one of its big action set-pieces (though that might be a Hawkman issue tying in with Black Reign - I can't remember, but the general point remains).

Did anyone ever hear the story related by the alleged former DC staffer who claimed that Johns is a bit of a manchild, always wants to talk about cereal mascots and throws a tantrum when you beat him at video games? I'm almost certain somebody posted it in BSS a while ago.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jude Law is six feet tall.

• Locked thread