Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chobayt posted:

Thanks for the prompt replies, I'll be picking this up tonight then. Super chuffed to see what all the hype is about.

standard newbie tips:

-do everything in White Orchard, it's the tutorial zone and will walk you through everything you need to know. Once you leave to Velen it's a big spike in difficulty (at least for a while)
-XP doesn't matter, there is way more XP in the game than you need to hit max level. You'll overlevel side quests no matter what, don't worry about min/maxing your XP and do quests because they are fun.
-Loot is random and scaled to your level, and the best gear is crafted sets. So don't worry about searching every peasant hut for that hidden super sword. It's pretty hard to hit the max carry weight so you can feel free to hoard. Quest items are marked as such.
-Combat is all about mobility and using the correct tactics. Don't get hit. Do a couple sword attacks then dodge/roll out and use a Sign or bomb to apply crowd control, go back in for another couple strikes, dodge out. Consult your Bestiary for info on what to use against tougher enemies.
-Alchemy items only need to be crafted once, you get a "container" item that refills. When you meditate, you spend one unit of hard alcohol (cheap and plentiful) to refill all your alchemy stuff. Feel free to use bombs and potions liberally.

edit: and some suggestions for how to proceed with a few quests, not really spoilers but I'll tag them anyway. These are all later in the game.

When given the option to "forcefully shove" a character, don't. Doing so will stop the quest from progressing.
When you drink with your bros, take it all the way.
(Hearts of Stone expansion) At the wedding, the very first thing you should do is play Gwent with the halflings and LOSE. Consider bringing Shani some booze.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Jumping back to the "Letho only has one sword" chat from earlier:

If you convince him to go to Kaer Morhen then he has two swords on his back in all the in-game and cut-scene bits from the time you arrive with Ciri and meet him in the courtyard as well as throughout the entire battle. It's such good attention to detail: one sword when working as an assassin and hiding out from mercenaries, two swords when working as a Witcher.

This loving game.

He does have the weirdest floating eyeballs and lips when invisible with you and Lambert outside Kaer Morhen when hunting for portals.

Pellisworth posted:

-Combat is all about mobility and using the correct tactics. Don't get hit. Do a couple sword attacks then dodge/roll out and use a Sign or bomb to apply crowd control, go back in for another couple strikes, dodge out. Consult your Bestiary for info on what to use against tougher enemies.

This is true except for later in the game when you have access to Bear school armour and swords, which are built around using Quen and charging up Rend for huge damage. That's the one time you want to sacrifice mobility so enemies get in close and trip your Quen, sending them flying and knocking them down, which sets you up for using Rend to hit several of them in one go.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 8, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

fridge corn posted:

I don't think valid means what you think it means

Don't think you know what being tongue in cheek is? :shrug:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
So, I've looked a bit for this answer online, but could not find anything, maybe one of you guys can enlighten me.

When you're in Skellige for Bran's wake, are there any consequences for drinking every chance you get despite Yen's objections? Even if it's just a minor remark or something like that.

RebelStarfox
Aug 14, 2016
Thanks guys think I might do as you suggested and dive into the Witcher 3 just to get the curiosity out and then replay in order and enjoy them and not rush through them like a mad woman just to get to 3, Thank you !!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
only skip 1 if you can't adapt to the combat at all. play it in OTS mode tho.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RebelStarfox posted:

Thanks guys think I might do as you suggested and dive into the Witcher 3 just to get the curiosity out and then replay in order and enjoy them and not rush through them like a mad woman just to get to 3, Thank you !!

Yeah if you like storytelling in your games you're going to want to replay W3 anyway, there isn't much carryover between games so you won't be "punished" for not importing saves through the series. W1 and 2 are very good but I think starting with the third game then going back and replaying 1-3 is what I'd recommend for people new to the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nycticeius posted:

So, I've looked a bit for this answer online, but could not find anything, maybe one of you guys can enlighten me.

When you're in Skellige for Bran's wake, are there any consequences for drinking every chance you get despite Yen's objections? Even if it's just a minor remark or something like that.

Nothing major happens, so don't worry about the spoiler tag. If you continue to drink copiously during the feast, the most you get is Yennefer nagging you more. Also, talk to everybody you can at the feast, my first time through I missed everything except for the Cerys race and fighting Lugos for being a douche. A lot of it is contextual dialogue that helps acclimatize the player to Skellige's political situation.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nothing major happens, so don't worry about the spoiler tag. If you continue to drink copiously during the feast, the most you get is Yennefer nagging you more. Also, talk to everybody you can at the feast, my first time through I missed everything except for the Cerys race and fighting Lugos for being a douche. A lot of it is contextual dialogue that helps acclimatize the player to Skellige's political situation.

Taking my time with it, thanks. :)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I see there are gameplay mods, some of which look fairly interesting. W3 Enhanced Edition for example which, at a glance, makes the gameplay more witchery lore-wise but between the finicky install and the author seemingly being a major bloede kusse, I'd rather just ask here if anyone can recommend it or even another mod? This is for a second playthrough, I love the game as is but wouldn't mind more involved combat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

She's probably pushing typical "middle age," but the game plays the "naive young girl with fluttering heart" angle hard with her. Shani feels more mature and she's just a 3-4 years out of Oxenfurt University by W3.

Though I guess to be fair Triss was kind of like that in the books too.

Triss is big into manipulation. She may be presenting a persona.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Triss is a pretty lovely person and a rapist.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Omnicarus posted:

And Trollolo eats people. Sometimes witchers just gonna have to compromise

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Hobo Clown posted:

Trolls are perfect and every action they take is one hundred percent justified by virtue of being something a troll did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What does the picture of the Redanian herald look like when the troll paints it himself? Geralt's was fuckin' hilarious.

Omnicarus posted:

Was she a rapist or was she just manipulative?

It's not like Geralt was retarded, he just lost his memory.

I mean, that Sandra Bullock/Bill Pullman movie from way back when was pretty cute, and they fall in love afterwards and everything. It works.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hobo Clown posted:

Hey man, he only ate corpses and he was doing a service by preventing necrophages from congregating. :colbert:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

What does the picture of the Redanian herald look like when the troll paints it himself? Geralt's was fuckin' hilarious.

like the actual standard. but he thinks it looks bad compared to geralts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Halser posted:

you don't belong in this thread, heathen

pam pa raaaaaam

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

Was she a rapist or was she just manipulative?

It's not like Geralt was retarded, he just lost his memory.

I mean, that Sandra Bullock/Bill Pullman movie from way back when was pretty cute, and they fall in love afterwards and everything. It works.

lol :yikes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone know how to deal with two Ekhidna warriors in a small space? Those tails just hit everywhere.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
How small of a space we talking? If you can't get distance from at least one, they'll double team you and keep you stunlocked. If you have access to Superior Golden Oriole, poisons will heal you. You should try Igni to ignite one or Yrden to at least keep one slowed enough to get a chance to dance with the one you're focusing down.

And really, if the fight is too difficult to do reasonably fast, nothing wrong running as fast as you can out of there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't done most of the expansions yet but so far there is extremely little the northern wind bomb hasn't solved

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Digirat posted:

I haven't done most of the expansions yet but so far there is extremely little the northern wind bomb hasn't solved
Same.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

And really, if the fight is too difficult to do reasonably fast, nothing wrong running as fast as you can out of there.

The Nekkers tricked me! I can't get out. :qq:

I'm 9 levels under them and oh well load a different save.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The dialogue and Triss' facial expressions once you free the nobleman from the statue he was stuck in are Gold.

She basically gives a great :chloe:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 9, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

redbackground posted:

The dialogue and Triss' facial expressions once you free the nobleman from the statue he was stuck in are Gold.

I was surprised with this quest. I had thought it was a one off, but it turns out there were like 6 figurines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I was surprised with this quest. I had thought it was a one off, but it turns out there were like 6 figurines.

The nobleman, the soldier, and who else?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

redbackground posted:

Drifter posted:

I experienced a bug that made it so that I wasn't able to hand the figurines to Triss, to get her to change them back. :negative: I don't suppose any of you have videos of what actually happens/what you get as a reward for completing them, do you? (Since I've got a few figurines, from memory. At work currently though, so I can't browse YouTube right now)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

The nobleman, the soldier, and who else?

I lied, I guess it was only the two. :ohdear: I'm just a big fat stupidhead.

I did the first one and was amusingly impressed, and I guess after the second one I decided to go ahead with the main story. I had thought there'd've been more than the two. Huh.

Major Isoor posted:

I experienced a bug that made it so that I wasn't able to hand the figurines to Triss, to get her to change them back. :negative: I don't suppose any of you have videos of what actually happens/what you get as a reward for completing them, do you? (Since I've got a few figurines, from memory. At work currently though, so I can't browse YouTube right now)

At seven minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxaVO8amVRE

Basically the figurines are a compression spell, and the soldier dude decompresses and turns out he's from a really long time ago and Triss and Geralt are all, Hey dude, life sure is crazy, huh?

I forget the ending of the other one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Where do you get the other ones? I only got 1 from the guy who sells it in novigrad, and never found any others

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Digirat posted:

Where do you get the other ones? I only got 1 from the guy who sells it in novigrad, and never found any others

In the Nilfgaard apologist dwarf's house.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
On Deathmarch game + and am doing Hearts of Stone. Made it to the wraith boss fight in the mansion. Holy gently caress it is hard. It doesnt help that when you try to aim at a painting, you shoot the wraith. Tried for about 40 minutes and gave up. I got the wraith down to like 90%. :\

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I also sadly had the figurine glitch. I released one guy but I couldn't trigger Triss to do something about the other.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

strategery posted:

On Deathmarch game + and am doing Hearts of Stone. Made it to the wraith boss fight in the mansion. Holy gently caress it is hard. It doesnt help that when you try to aim at a painting, you shoot the wraith. Tried for about 40 minutes and gave up. I got the wraith down to like 90%. :\

Try igni or sprinting away from the wraith.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

strategery posted:

Yeah the targeting makes that fight extremely lovely, Igni works but I ended up respeccing into Whirl.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

I lied, I guess it was only the two. :ohdear: I'm just a big fat stupidhead.

I did the first one and was amusingly impressed, and I guess after the second one I decided to go ahead with the main story. I had thought there'd've been more than the two. Huh.

At seven minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxaVO8amVRE

Basically the figurines are a compression spell, and the soldier dude decompresses and turns out he's from a really long time ago and Triss and Geralt are all, Hey dude, life sure is crazy, huh?

I forget the ending of the other one.

The poor bastard soldier was from Sodden Hill, which happened well over a decade before Witcher 3. The other guy was a nobleman who pissed off one of Triss's sorceress friends and got himself compressed. He immediately starts hitting on Triss if I remember right.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ledenko posted:

I see there are gameplay mods, some of which look fairly interesting. W3 Enhanced Edition for example which, at a glance, makes the gameplay more witchery lore-wise but between the finicky install and the author seemingly being a major bloede kusse, I'd rather just ask here if anyone can recommend it or even another mod? This is for a second playthrough, I love the game as is but wouldn't mind more involved combat.

Current version is pretty good but maybe wait on him adding primer into the mix and fixing a few outstanding bugs before properly starting a game.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1962/ Game Changer right here. Crow's Perch and Hattori Fast Travel

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah the targeting makes that fight extremely lovely, Igni works but I ended up respeccing into Whirl.

The fact my character keeps targeting her instead of the painting is infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just popped in to my end-game save since 1.30 dropped. Did the Alchemy - Euphoria build get patched out? I used to be able to run tons of decotions but now I'm overloaded after one and one potion?