Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Robiben posted:

People hating on Clint not mentioning that he started the "Bork" bit which is a loving amazing bit. Shameful.

I mean, it's mainly Toxx, master of being completely wrong about all media he consumes and even some that he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Car Boys has turned into something so amazing from such humble origins.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Griffin asking for the backstories should have been an interlude episode. It feels a little less meaningful when we just learned about these defining things 5 minutes ago. I'm not saying it was a bad episode, I enjoyed it.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Holy poo poo that Car Boys episode.

I'm glad the Busto Arc seems to be over. I think any attempt to top Busto's 5th dimensional chicanery in this episode would have just been anticlimactic.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Holy poo poo that Car Boys episode.

I'm glad the Busto Arc seems to be over. I think any attempt to top Busto's 5th dimensional chicanery in this episode would have just been anticlimactic.

Yep - and as amazing and godlike as Busto is, I also kinda miss the car-smashing nonsense of the first three or four episodes.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i was not ready for the busto dimension

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not really seeing how intense this episode of TAZ is. People are talking about Magnus' backstory, but I guess I must not have been paying enough attention or something because it seemed pretty basic. I wanna cry like everyone else is, dangit!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah there was a loving lot going on in the episode + I'd definitely recommend at least a partial relisten. What a drat good episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel really guilty because I don't get it! :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The claims that it's the best episode ever, made them cri evertim, etc are totally overblown. It had a good, emotional moment in Magnus' solo that was built to somewhat well if you remember the vague allusions to Magnus' backstory that were talked about at the beginning of TAZ and/or remember the one-line mention of it at the end of Crystal Kingdom, but it's not even the most emotionally effective scene of the podcast. And, structurally speaking, there's a lot of buildup for not much payoff, it's nowhere near as well balanced as the last vignette ep.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 9, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Fandolin stuff was way loving harsher than the Magnus/Julia stuff though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toxxupation posted:

The claims that it's the best episode ever, made them cri evertim, etc are totally overblown. It had a good, emotional moment in Magnus' solo that was built to somewhat well if you remember the vague allusions to Magnus' backstory that were talked about at the beginning of TAZ and/or remember the one-line mention of it at the end of Crystal Kingdom, but it's not even the most emotionally effective scene of the podcast. And, structurally speaking, there's a lot of buildup for not much payoff, it's nowhere near as well balanced as the last vignette ep.

Gosh thanks for telling me I actually didn't really like the episode, where would I be without you

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
God the two mountains Busto created are some primo End of Evangelion poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

flatluigi posted:

Gosh thanks for telling me I actually didn't really like the episode, where would I be without you

It's amazing how bad you are at reading comprehension. Like, genuinely impressive stuff.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Merle is basically like the anime mascot character of the Adventure Zone. Like, the Teddie. You have to think of it that way. That's what I like about Clint's whole presence in the show.

I think the thing that disappointed me was that they didn't touch on "holidays at Aunt Blarg's" with Gundren, or that Merle, in spite of apparently coming from a Pan-worshipping family, was worshipping Marthammor Duin when we first met him. I'm not disappointed because of continuity, mind you, but because those two things are really funny.

Within the narrative, Merle is a very religious man who preaches family values but will switch the deity he is religious towards at the drop of a hat, and he loving hates his family.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

To be fair Pan was retconned to be the god he always worshiped the same way that Taako was retconned to have always done transmutation.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Maybe THAT'S when they all died!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I disagree with you nearly every time you post something related to a piece of media I also consumed, but I also see where you're coming from. How much you enjoy this episode will pretty much entirely hinge on how much you were invested in, or liked the boy's backstory.

I feel like Griffin has a lot of really good ideas and not much experience in putting them down, so we get things like crystal kingdom and the random sidecharacter in Taako's bit sometimes. :shobon: I sort of felt eh about Sheriff Isaac's journal, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I never really knew/noticed the boys' backstory. When I started relistening to the show, I wondered why the whole cooking show thing caught me by surprise when Ren brought it up, seeing as Taako talked about it so much as early as Rockport. The effectiveness was hampered by the fact that in practice, this was pretty much the first I had heard of any sort of significant backstory.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
I just enjoy it for the character development and absolutely inspired DM'ing by Griffin. I don't really get into critiquing each individual person involved for their faults/contributions to the overall narrative, nor do I even see the merits in doing so. I think it's incredibly balanced comedically, dramatically, and narratively; and, at its core, it's just three brothers playing D&D with their dad. I love it. It's inspired me to do the same with my friends.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tend to roll my eyes a bit at the serious moments of this show. I'm here for the goofs, not the rich, deep, and tragic history of a guy named Taako who is on a quest to invent tacos.

misadventurous posted:

"Beach dwarves" is so good.

Hell yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I disagree with you nearly every time you post something related to a piece of media I also consumed, but I also see where you're coming from. How much you enjoy this episode will pretty much entirely hinge on how much you were invested in, or liked the boy's backstory.

I feel like Griffin has a lot of really good ideas and not much experience in putting them down, so we get things like crystal kingdom and the random sidecharacter in Taako's bit sometimes. :shobon: I sort of felt eh about Sheriff Isaac's journal, too.

I feel like the Big Problem TAZ has, as a story, is that it's really good at forming and imparting story that moves forward or evolves alongside the narrative and less good to outright bad at forming and imparting backstory. I'm not one of the dudes who starts sobbing at the Sloan/Hurley stuff but I recognize that it's emotionally effective and earned with a powerful conclusion that made sense and was impactful. In contrast, the Crystal Kingdom stuff was, at best, a gigantic mess and I feel like this episode just continues that inconsistent trend. Like, again, the Magnus stuff was the most effective part of the episode mostly because it was based off stuff that Travis wrote long beforehand that had a bunch of fairly subtle references to it sprinkled throughout the past fiftyish episodes, which unless you're a crazy obsessive you probably didn't even notice (if Waffleman's anything to go by).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also think that after a point, I just kinda stopped registering the backstory references, because I thought all that stuff was touched on in the backer prequel episode.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's been a long time since Taako got a new Taco part

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They talked about it in The Taz Zone, it's kinda hard to do and have a satisfying conclusion without it being planned by both parties and it was just kind of a thing to make goofs on while Justin got into Taako's skin. I doubt they'll return to it.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
TAZ isn't flawless, but the fact that Griffin -- who I think said he doesn't have any previous experience in creative/narrative writing -- is coming up with cool stuff that works at this level, and who is having to shape the plot around his bros and dad being ridiculous as possible and is writing scenarios in anticipation of their personalities, who has shown he's learning crazy fast how to exploit the D&D system for entertaining storytelling purposes, and can tie all these references and backstories into multiple connecting arcs while editing on the fly... it's very impressive. This is hard enough when you're an author writing prose and in control of every facet, but in a roleplay scenario? Dude has natural talent.

Considering how most of the McElroys started the podcast as D&D novices at best, all of them are impressive. I can pick at a few slip-ups, but only because they're perfectly juggling like a hundred other balls so smoothly I barely notice the effort in the background.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus christ some of yall are incredibly critical of these sweet boys and their good time dice rolling. Ease up a little.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

painynumbs posted:

This thread turned me onto MBMBaM (and Monster Factory) and then I unexpectedly became obsessed with TAZ with zero background knowledge of D&D, so thank you all for that. It's very much my poo poo.

Really enjoying the genuinely compelling storylines Griffin is writing. I love this podcast because it's made me gut-laugh several times and it also inspired me to get friends together for D&D.

honestly, anyone can pick up and run the "lost mines of phandelver" (the first few episodes of TAZ are set in it) campaign and run it. it does an exceptional job of teaching the DM and players at the same time. it's not high concept at all, but that's perfect for new people, because you can change as much or as little as you and the players feel comfortable with. It also has 4 pre-generated characters, which is great because some people immediately take to creating a character, but for others it might be a big ask for something they wind up not caring for. 5e (the current rules version) is also hands down the smoothest system for new players to pick up, because a lot of it boils down to the DM deciding advantage/disadvantage instead of referencing dozens of tables of modifiers.

you can get the 5e starter set off amazon for less than thirty bucks: https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dra...ons+starter+set

if you want to get more in-depth, like rules for creating your own characters, you can get the player's handbook for about the same amount.

e: this wasn't directed at painynumbs in particular, I've just seen a lot of people in this thread express interest in D&D while knowing nothing about it, and I want to make people aware that now's the easiest time to get into it.

padijun fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who's keen for the MBMBaM tv show?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I, too, liked Taako's segment less than Magnus' and Merle's. Merle's was simple and funny and Magnus' was a long time coming, but introducing an entirely new character and immediately giving them such an important role was kind of strange. It was certainly a departure from how I thought Taako's backstory would resolve, sure, but that's not my issue. If this character (whose name I cannot remember) were mentioned in passing here and there or even once during an allusion to Taako's history, it would have been a much cooler surprise than the person being introduced within minutes of their betrayal.

All that being said, the scene did enable a feature of the show which is, sadly, becoming increasingly rare: Taako being a giant selfish butthole. Hearing him completely absolve himself of any and all guilt immediately upon finding out he wasn't directly responsible for killing the 40 people he poisoned was the funniest part of the episode in my opinion.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Toxxupation posted:

It's amazing how bad you are at reading comprehension. Like, genuinely impressive stuff.

:ironicat:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

Where the gently caress does Nick live that there's always a siren going off at one point during his recordings

look, when you commit crimes against bustos, you're gonna run into a lot of police issues

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Re: TAZ, Am I the only one who wished that Magnus had gone for the chalice?

Like, I get his rationale for how Julia wouldn't have wanted him to sacrifice those future lives, and it does make sense in the context of Magnus becoming a protector of people and how he wouldn't be able to help the BoB if he went back, but with how he was "utterly destroyed" when he saw Julia, it would have been really loving cool for him to say drat it all and reach for the chalice and for Taako and Merle to have to fight him off of it. Maybe even using Roswell to stop him if Griffin had had them fight in the real space instead of June's bubble, I don't know. I was just a little let down that Griffin warned at the end of the last episode that he was going to sell them on it but they were all Good Good Boys who weren't tempted at all. Part of me wonders if Griffin was hoping for something a little more interesting too, but I guess that's how D&D goes.

Totally agreeing with everyone that Taako not giving a gently caress about the deaths was easily the best part of the episode though.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

bowmore posted:

I'm wondering what the format will be like, but if there's a poo poo ton of yahoo answers up in there, they'll do fine. And hey, since it's halloween coming up maybe they could revisit the Hole-shebang, the yahoo answer that got me hooked on the show all those years ago. When they were talking about the dude who asked if he could wear a costume that was a giant dick with a butt and breasts when greeting trick or treaters I had to pull over to the side of the road because I was having a hard time seeing the road from laughing too drat hard.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Toxxupation posted:

show me the goddamn documents, feels-havers!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CronoGamer posted:

Re: TAZ, Am I the only one who wished that Magnus had gone for the chalice?

Like, I get his rationale for how Julia wouldn't have wanted him to sacrifice those future lives, and it does make sense in the context of Magnus becoming a protector of people and how he wouldn't be able to help the BoB if he went back, but with how he was "utterly destroyed" when he saw Julia, it would have been really loving cool for him to say drat it all and reach for the chalice and for Taako and Merle to have to fight him off of it. Maybe even using Roswell to stop him if Griffin had had them fight in the real space instead of June's bubble, I don't know. I was just a little let down that Griffin warned at the end of the last episode that he was going to sell them on it but they were all Good Good Boys who weren't tempted at all. Part of me wonders if Griffin was hoping for something a little more interesting too, but I guess that's how D&D goes.

Totally agreeing with everyone that Taako not giving a gently caress about the deaths was easily the best part of the episode though.

I was also hoping for that! It would have been pretty interesting, and Magnus has gone on record as having a desire to use the relics for good. That being said, I also think that Travis did a really good job on selling just how hard of a decision it was for Magnus.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

I want both of Taako's tanktops. lovely Wizard Club indeed.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Travis343 posted:

The Fandolin stuff was way loving harsher than the Magnus/Julia stuff though.

I didn't get as effected by it because it was the Chalice being vengeful against them and using other's deaths that are the fault of Gundren using an item of great power first and foremost to punish them, no matter how much it was supposed to teach them a lesson. The items of great powers are still hosts to really selfish spirits, and it was just trying to fight for its survival knowing what would happen if the BoB gets them. The fact it's being manipulative to punish the boys took the punch out of it for me, because I'm thinking, "oh eat poo poo, you turd cup." The Magnus and Julia thing hits because it's such a personal tragedy, and is something where you could do the math easier to see, "old vengeful man comes and kills my family and home," easier than, "a dwarf turns into a nuke." The body toll was greater, but the cup was being just so petty and rubbing their nose in the fact that they don't want to use it's forbidden power, not that it's a terrible event they had some hand in.

I hate that stupid loving cup for trying to make Tres Horny Boys sad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What a profoundly good episode of Car Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

bowmore posted:

I'm horny for this one.