Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lords of Shadow 1 is an unremarkable 3D action game with a lot of reasonably pretty but terribly paced content.

Mirror of Fate is LOS combat turned sideways and doesn't really resemble old-school or IGA-style games.

Lords of Shadow 2 is a schizophrenic mix of okay parts (anything in the castle or traditional LOS setting) and awful crap (anything in the present-day setting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Like I'd straight out cut out half the content of both of the console games.

Modern day enemies with guns who can shoot you from across the map are just awful, as is needing meter to even damage some of them.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I like how they advertised los 2 as the thrilling conclusion even though nothing really seemed to happen

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

I like how they advertised los 2 as the thrilling conclusion even though nothing really seemed to happen

It has the most flaccid ending of nearly any game I can think of.

Like NES games with you standing on a cliff with a castle crumbling are more interesting, drac just loving stabs a dude and then heads home.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
AM2R has my favorite ending screen I've seen from a Metroid game I don't even care if I got the worst one.

Mom and son :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

AM2R has my favorite ending screen I've seen from a Metroid game I don't even care if I got the worst one.

Mom and son :3:

"See you next mission. WHERE YOU DIE."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bloodstained bumped back to 2018 according to the e-mail that just came out. I'm fine with that. The demo was already fine so more time with more devs is not a bad thing.
I'm wondering how much the reception of MM9 played into that all the same.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think anyone was surprised.

The amount of extra content they're going to create from Stretch Goals is ridiculous.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bloodstained bumped back to 2018 according to the e-mail that just came out. I'm fine with that. The demo was already fine so more time with more devs is not a bad thing.
I'm wondering how much the reception of MM9 played into that all the same.

I have imagine watching No Man's Sky being one of the biggest disappointments in modern games helped them as well. Nobody wants to be No Man's Sky or MN9 these days.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I expected as much. No way this game was gonna be done in 6 more months.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

randombattle posted:

I have imagine watching No Man's Sky being one of the biggest disappointments in modern games helped them as well. Nobody wants to be No Man's Sky or MN9 these days.

The saving grace being we know that Iga has actually designed good games before opposed to the indie startups and whatever it is Inafune told people he did to get millions of dollars.
Iga comes off as too sincere to be trying to trick folks, too.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I know it was probably just part of the statement, but I couldn't help but chuckle at 'Get it right the first time', as if it were a jab at just how HORRID MN9 turned out.

I so loving wish I took the 20 or 30 or however much I put into MN9, and held onto it and put it into Bloodstained. I mean, we got so many loving delays for MN9, with little to be explained save 'Oh, multiplayer is taking time', here, we get a video from IGA right out saying why he wants to hold things back and apologizing right off for this.

The difference in quality is just outstanding between the two campaigns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said this in the Kickstarter thread but I'm fine with it. "We're announcing well in advance the game is delayed in order to bring on more development staff and make sure it is up to expectations" is basically the most reasonable possible excuse to delay a game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Also iga hasnt announced that they are also going to make a spinoff game and a cartoon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
CV re-release news:

-Super Castlevania 4 came out on the New 3DS VC in NA today

-Haunted Castle is coming to PS4 as an Arcade Archives release

vaguely CV-related news:

-Maldita Castilla EX was officially confirmed for PS4

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I was expecting a delay from the second I saw the KS schedule, so I'm not surprised or disappointed. If the game needs to be delayed, so be it. I've got more than enough to tide me over in the meantime.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, no way in hell was it making 2017, especially not with all this console turnover.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno if I'd actually pay money for Haunted Castle, though the music is nice I guess.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not mad about the delay but 2018 feels so far away I can't even imagine still being alive when it comes out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I'm not mad about the delay but 2018 feels so far away I can't even imagine still being alive when it comes out.

Well, if you're going to kill yourself tomorrow, of course you won't be alive then :rolleyes:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
poo poo why did I kickstart all these games

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Map Resolution Questions

When playing through most Castlevania games, every certain amount of distance traveled puts you in a new coordinate on the map. This distance is usually more than one screen's worth, in whatever the native resolution of the game is.

Does anybody know what these ratios are for say Symphony of the Night or any of the DS titles? As in, the in-game screen resolution for SotN is 256x240 (I think) and let's pretend you uncover another map tile every 384 horizontal pixels or 480 vertical pixels (if you didn't change rooms). Then the ratios would be 1.5x by 2x.

Also, does anybody know if these distances are fixed per game or if they're variable per area?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

After paying more attention (to Order of Ecclesia, at least), it looks like each map zone is exactly one screen in dimensions.

The crafty thing they do is not set up any non-rectangular collections of zones (rooms) yet still make it feel like you're traversing an adequately dynamic landscape. And I never realized how many times I'd hop up onto a ledge to change rooms just so I'd be vaguely centered in the next area.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
The latest Bloodstained update has some of the games music.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1686739

Listen to this Castlevania-rear end music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1686739

God drat that music is awesome.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Black Mage Knight posted:

haha that 2nd and 4th track. It's certainly "inspired by" castlevania music alright.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

haha that 2nd and 4th track. It's certainly "inspired by" castlevania music alright.

Well, to be fair it is literally the main Igavania composer being told "hey, go make some castlevania rear end music, kthx"

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Am I weird for wishing it'd sound a bit more....I dunno, varied? Like, I've been listening to the SotN soundtrack in the car and that stuff is all over the place, it's great. Whereas Bloodstained mostly just sounds like more of the DS sound hardware. I kinda figured that releasing on more powerful hardware again would help with that, but then again the organ stuff still sounds fantastic so maybe I just need to shut up and wait for the rest of the game to come out and listen then.

It's still pretty drat good as it is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was a live-orchestra stretch goal, wasn't there? Best wait for those recordings, I suppose.

Vaguely-CV-related news: that KS game Slain! came out on PS4 and Vita last week, apparently. They did manage to turn the PC version into something resembling a game, so maybe give it a look.

EDIT; oh, and Maldita Castilla EX passed Greenlight, so you'll soon have another way to pick that up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Slain! really worth it now? All I ever heard was how bad it was when it was first released.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Slain! really worth it now? All I ever heard was how bad it was when it was first released.

It's pretty decent on PC now that the dude behind it basically overhauled it, but it's worth noting it's not a Metroidvania, more like original Castlevania.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Happy 30th anniversary, Castlevania.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yay, our little baby old enough to be jaded and committing tax fraud or ignoring their insufferable kids!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty good. Gameplay is simple but actually fairly fun now, and the game itself is loving gorgeous. Some of the best sprite art I've seen in a while.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Bloodstained Update #45 - Oct 5, 2016

October Update: IGA finds a publisher posted:

We've got news! And we wanted to get this to you as soon as possible, so we're breaking into our usual update schedule to report that:

A publisher has signed onto the Bloodstained project: We'll be working with 505 Games. They put together a video with IGA to make the announcement (and also show off some new footage of the game). Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faV-ls5hLSc

As you can see, one of the first things a publisher can help out with is action-packed video production.

Like IGA said from the beginning, none of this would be possible without the campaign all of you helped to build. We're excited to bring it to a wider audience, too, but everybody on the team is here to help IGA build the game you (and he) wanted from the start.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

505 Games-sama :allears:

Also that looked a lot prettier than I remember the demo being, though I guess that's not surprising considering we're still well over a year away from it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Doesn't the wording of that imply that they lost their initial publisher? It seems weird because there was always going to be a publisher according to the initial kickstarter but everything is phrased like this agreement just now happened.

Like all signs were pointing to Deep Silver, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Doesn't the wording of that imply that they lost their initial publisher? It seems weird because there was always going to be a publisher according to the initial kickstarter but everything is phrased like this agreement just now happened.

Like all signs were pointing to Deep Silver, right?

Deep Silver trademarked Bloodstained so yeah that is a little odd.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wonder if they got cold feet after MN9's reception?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Deep Silver trademarked Bloodstained so yeah that is a little odd.

Could be deep silver is in deep troubles? When was the last time they published something that did well?

Ryse? Risen 3? Gat out of Hell? 2014, early 2015?

Anyways 505 seems to have a better track record for published stuff recently. I wonder if it has anything to do with publisher support though.