Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Is attractive (I think that's what Reddick wants to convey) women in comic book stores a normal thing?

I will give Reddick points if he actually acknowledges that many comics stores are still hostile territory for women. I doubt he will, though, because that would interfere with Intelligent Life's message that geeks are awesome and a superior form of humanity, while nongeeks are lame and boring.

Green Intern posted:

What is with the GoComics commenters and wishing for TJ's death?

Are they wrong, though?

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Brad’s suggested shopping trip for the ‘women’ almost guarantees that Toni won’t get the under $200 dress she was hoping for. I can’t see Nancy going to the Goodwill, or a thrift shop.

So, while ‘the ladies’ run up a bill for a dress to be worn once, will Brad and his Dad shop for all those matching tablecloths and napkins and cumberbands and bow ties and top hats and tuxes and table placements and chair banners that Frank regrets so much not having at his wedding?

Film at elevenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I don't know why, but I find this person creepier than the other commenters. There's something about the way he's air-quoting "women" and "the ladies" that's just skeevy.

Not that the guy randomly capitalizing every word is much better, but still.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Nenonen posted:

I don't understand that Dustin. What type of mouth breather does it take to have difficulty using a debit/credit card reader?

I always seem to be in line behind someone who has trouble with a regular debit/credit card reader, never mind the new chip technology.

"I can't read what it says."
"Oops, I pressed the wrong button and have to do it over."
"I keep pressing the button but it isn't doing anything. Oh, wait there it goes."
"Oops I pressed credit when I meant debit."
"Oops I pressed debit when I meant credit."
Or the person just stands there forever, oblivious, before the cashier tells them the machine wants them to do something. Etc.

Kratom, herbal, helps with opioid addiction (as well as pain), but the DEA is making it a Schedule I drug, in the same category as heroin, by September 30th. Can't cut in to those sweet, sweet Vicodin profits.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 16, 1951)

Nancy (September 30, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 13, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 28, 1923)

Barney Google (June 29, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 28, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 25, 1937)

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

These "Comic book stores" sound incredibly sinister.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ugh. I hate Brad.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"But why did you give me a fortune cookie fortune?"

Rex Morgan MD

Any guesses? I'm going with the (now formerly) pregnant stripper from Rex's Beach House Adventure.

Secret Agent X-9

"A 'right pretty gal' who bought paper, eh? That's enough for me! Get the battering ram!"

Also, I'm not sure why it took him 24 hours to report on his conversation with the guy who sold the paper to the girl.

Esplanade posted:

I'm guessing she's just supposed to come across as young and naive, but I love how increasingly creepy Wesley's sister is getting.
Yeah I've been thinking maybe it's a mixture of trying to make her a naif and maybe that the strip is from 1970 so it's one of those "different times" things. Regardless, that last strip took it up a few notches.

Apartment 3-G

Strange. Looks like there's a story in the paper about George S Kaufman dying 9 years earlier.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (July 10-11, 1929)

Peanuts (September 11, 1969...never forget (that this date had no gravitas in 1969))

Funky Winkerbean, in which TomBat got bored with his running gag a little bit after we did.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 28, 1930)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (February 25, 1937)

Oh, it's not Abner, it's another yokel.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Alabaster White posted:

These people have an unhealthy, genuine interest in Luann and therefore hate all good things in life.

quote:

Glad to see Shannon wearing safety glasses.
And what is the devious TJ up to now?
I hate him. I loathe him. I despise him.

quote:

Shannon should still be wearing protective leather gloves
Brad is gonna regret not demanding that Toni have a showdown with her brother about Shannon before the
wedding.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 4 hours ago
“Well Shanns Got a HAAAAMER!”
“She’ll HAMMER In the Moooooorning!”
“She’ll HAMMER In the Eeeeeevening!”
“All Over THIS House!”
“She’ll HAMMER On Keepsakes!”
“She’ll HAMMER On Flaaat Screens!”
“She’ll HAMMER On Smiley, Between His Teeth and His Eyeballs,”
“Aaaaaaall Over His HEAD!!!”
Peter Paul and Mary

Also, a lot of talk about Matzo balls for some reason

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1F93EJIds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The very essence of Fort Knox.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

EasyEW posted:

Bloom County

As a huge fan of the original run, I am desperately hoping the revival gets funny at some point.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Huh. I could have sworn that I posted these yesterday.

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

So I know that 9CL is hardly the most racist thing that gets posted ITT regularly, but this storyline is pretty loving racist and this series of lovely silhouettes of a guy doing something that Brooke supposes to be some form of martial art is the thing that is going to make me say it, apparently.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Yep. That sure is a thing.

God I loving LOVE to hate Nancy.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

bean_shadow posted:

Kratom, herbal, helps with opioid addiction (as well as pain), but the DEA is making it a Schedule I drug, in the same category as heroin, by September 30th. Can't cut in to those sweet, sweet Vicodin profits.

Have you read the Kratom thread in TCC? It helps with opiate addiction because it's an addictive opiate. Kind of like opium, another herbal extract that quells opiate withdrawal.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Transmodiar posted:

As a huge fan of the original run, I am desperately hoping the revival gets funny at some point.

It's definitely lost a bit of its edge, but the man is old, hasn't tried to be topical in many years, and still has some of my favorite line work, so I let a lot slide.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Octatonic posted:

So I know that 9CL is hardly the most racist thing that gets posted ITT regularly, but this storyline is pretty loving racist and this series of lovely silhouettes of a guy doing something that Brooke supposes to be some form of martial art is the thing that is going to make me say it, apparently.

"Chinese people meet prospective sons-in-law like this" *Brooke does a wizard move and attempts a backflip*
"White people do it normally though. Unless you're a fat dolt farmer who thinks he's a space alien, which would go a little something . . . a-like this." *he begins to remove all of his corduroy trousers and three layers of cardigan as the crowd yelps & clamors for egress*

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

BigglesSWE posted:

Yep. That sure is a thing.

God I loving LOVE to hate Nancy.

What even is his face in that last panel? I can't tell what emotion that is meant to convey.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A week's worth of loving Starbucks 'jokes' in anno domini 2016. Bloom County is garbage, sorry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just wants its money's worth.

Working Daze makes a lame joke about coffee because those are never not loving stupid.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is asking for a friend.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (September 4, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (May 12-15, 1955)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Heart of the City

Henry

Just Say Uncle

Just posting this one because I found it utterly inscrutable.

Lockhorns

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Just Say Uncle

Just posting this one because I found it utterly inscrutable.

One of them is Canadian. That is the joke.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

I was looking forward to days of him wordlessly running away with his gun out while bystanders look on in silence, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Green Intern posted:

One of them is Canadian. That is the joke.

Dude also looks like Geddy Lee. Rush is also Canadian.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Octatonic posted:

I'm thinking he's trying to draw someone doing Tai Chi which is sort of like Yoga (or so I've heard). Brooke is racist to humans as a species. We DO NOT have that many teeth in our mouths and our Jaws DO NOT unhinge to swallow prey. Also impulsive relationships like this do not end well, but then again I don't think Brooke has actually seen a real woman, let alone talked to one.

Dewgy posted:

Dude also looks like Geddy Lee. Rush is also Canadian.

I'm pretty sure that IS Geddy Lee as I think that last pannel is a reference to that song he did with Bob and Doug McKenzie.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 9, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets Blatant Foreshadowing

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Guess If They're Married!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Sheesh, his wife invites him to go to the bathhouse with her and he declines? Talk about role reversal!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

That's a great use of cartoon logic.

The Phantom strip looks like a cover of The Illustrated Police News.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 9, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze makes a lame joke about coffee because those are never not loving stupid.

I can't stand this comic on many levels (the worst of them being the soon-to-be dad-geek, as I know someone like that in real life), and close to the top is how all of the women are drawn stood with their chests thrown out in that 'look at my tits!' pose. Bleurgh.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ha ha! Pluggers grow more senile with every waking moment! :smith:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

Office Hours

Aw yeah Office Hours is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

More seltzer water?

• Locked thread