Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Boxcar posted:

Vomit. This is a woman who gets paid millions of dollars to give speeches - it is her main source of income. She is in the stratosphere of speakers with few who you could point to who earn more - the Michael Jordan of her field. This schmaltzy appeal to emotion does a disservice to her capability - boo hoo hoo, the lady paid some of the most money ever to give speeches gets criticism on her speaking ability. If the highest paid athletes can take critiques on their abilities, so can she without making appeals to sexism on her behalf. Sure, there are sexist attacks against her, but these are outliers and noise compared to her level of success. Hard to argue things are holding you back when you are at the top of your field and anyone who buys into this bullshit should think more critically. I wish I was as bad at speaking as her.

Can we post pictures of salt in this thread or is that just a cspam thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

So are you seriously arguing that women and men aren't held to different standards for things? Really?

Please do no feed the troll

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Boxcar posted:

Vomit. This is a woman who gets paid millions of dollars to give speeches - it is her main source of income. She is in the stratosphere of speakers with few who you could point to who earn more - the Michael Jordan of her field. This schmaltzy appeal to emotion does a disservice to her capability - boo hoo hoo, the lady paid some of the most money ever to give speeches gets criticism on her speaking ability. If the highest paid athletes can take critiques on their abilities, so can she without making appeals to sexism on her behalf. Sure, there are sexist attacks against her, but these are outliers and noise compared to her level of success. Hard to argue things are holding you back when you are at the top of your field and anyone who buys into this bullshit should think more critically. I wish I was as bad at speaking as her.

Counterpoint, gently caress off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Oh you'd better hope it wasn't Mailer. That one's a class 7 daemon and you'll need the Pope to bless the gently caress out of you for protection.

Eh, you're fine if you can get a holy off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boxcar posted:

:qqsay:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Boxcar posted:

:lol:

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

So are you seriously arguing that women and men aren't held to different standards for things? Really?

She doesn't say she isn't capable. She says that the way she acts (that makes people think her cold or whatnot) is a response to the difference in expectations and she has to color that accordingly.

She obviously has found a way to act that works just fine - she makes millions speaking. Who gives a poo poo if a few people think you act cold - a few people think every top performers' methods are off. Internet critics abound and are omnipresent for all celebrities. Fact is - she's at the top of her field and nothing has held her back or stopped her. Getting criticism from the public is part of making it and that criticism seems to have zero effect on her success - it is background noise.

Edit: Show me speakers more successful financially or with greater influence who receive less criticism. She is the leading candidate for President of the US and gets paid millions. She's doing just fine speaking and to think otherwise is to avoid reality.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boxcar posted:

She obviously has found a way to act that works just fine - she makes millions speaking. Who gives a poo poo if a few people think you act cold - a few people think every top performers' methods are off. Internet critics abound and are omnipresent for all celebrities. Fact is - she's at the top of her field and nothing has held her back or stopped her. Getting criticism from the public is part of making it and that criticism seems to have zero effect on her success - it is background noise.

https://twitter.com/Reince/status/773694140404170752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

That isn't the public.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

That rear end in a top hat gets just as much criticism (for his level), just from the other side, and doesn't do as well financially or politically as her.

Edit: She is winning in what appears to be a landslide election - the public perception is that her speaking is just fine and the private is that it's worth a ton of money.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 9, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Fojar38 posted:

Thank you friend, this helps.

Sorry friend, but in the end we all still lose. We could be looking at Hillary winning win less than 300 EVs, and a miminal higher popular vote than Trump, which means that for as terrible as Trump was Hillary was only somewhat better.

Not losing in a landslide gives the angry white vote cause to stay angry and push for a more solid Trump republican party, House and Senate republicans will then do the only thing they can and appeal to the angry white vote, and this of course means that they will continue what they did to Obama and block Hillary's nominations, democrat's legislation, etc etc.

Meanwhile, you will be inundated by the sudden rise and popularity of Trump TV, bringing all the alt-right news and commentary to the mainstream.

Take comfort in the unknown for now, because anything short of a Clinton landslide will still be depressing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

edit: wrong thread

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Sorry friend, but in the end we all still lose. We could be looking at Hillary winning win less than 300 EVs, and a miminal higher popular vote than Trump, which means that for as terrible as Trump was Hillary was only somewhat better.

Yes this is exactly what it means, there is clearly nothing else at play during this election except cold hard logic.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

There's no excuse. I was thinking in terms of an acronym - Aleppo," he explained. Johnson also said he thought the question was a fair one since he's running for president.

Co-host Joy Behar told Johnson, "I think it's a disqualifying statement, frankly."

"Fair enough. Fair enough," Johnson replied.

:lol: this is the weakest poo poo I've seen since Lincoln Chafee blamed his glass steagal vote on his first day in office and his dad dying

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

botany posted:

like honestly, wikileaks is supposed to be full of nerds. how the gently caress do they not understand the very basics of how emails work

They're not full of anything now besides poo poo. Even most of Assange's friends have left him alone with Wikileaks.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

duz posted:

They're not full of anything now besides poo poo. Even most of Assange's friends have left him alone with Wikileaks.

Hannity wished him the best on his show, he's his friend :glomp:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Uranium 235 posted:

NYT changed it to "stronghold of the Islamic State" which is also totally wrong. ISIS does not hold any part of Aleppo--it is split between the Syrian regime and Syrian rebels. The Syrian regime holds territory between ISIS and Aleppo.

Since when has the NYT been a mouthpiece for the Kremlin? Because that's absolutely their line for why they are bombing Aleppo - everyone not with Assad is "ISIS".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hey remember when Trump said "eh it happens" about military rape? Yeah I don't think he's winning the white woman vote.
I am still utterly stunned that it isn't getting more attention. It's basically tailor-made for Hillary to pounce on.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

:lol: this is the weakest poo poo I've seen since Lincoln Chafee blamed his glass steagal vote on his first day in office and his dad dying

Ah yes L-Ep-O. We're all familiar with the letter Ep.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Boxcar posted:

Edit: She is winning in what appears to be a landslide election - the public perception is that her speaking is just fine and the private is that it's worth a ton of money.

Could...could the legends be true? The anti-Celestial Scribe?!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Regarding the discussion of ad-blocking on news sites about 8 pages back- I block ads because every time I've experimentally tried going without the adblocker (at least 3 times in the last 10 years) I've gotten some sort of malware from a malicious ad.

If you think I'm a bad person stealing internet content, to that I say: if your business model depends on ads, your business model is broken and it's not my job to make it work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I am still utterly stunned that it isn't getting more attention. It's basically tailor-made for Hillary to pounce on.

The meta-story about the moderation has kind of drowned it out, because ultimately journalists in America are incredibly self absorbed and even when trying to wake up to their own professional disfunction are miles from actually realizing that this is about the fate of their nation, not them.

Seriously, the whole Hillary access thing was the same deal. That there is a public good at stake barely occurs to them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

N. Senada posted:

Quick, get CelestialScribe in here! Maybe they'll annihilate each other and we won't have to deal with their posts anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, 5.3 magnitude earthquake in North Korea:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37314927
Very close their prior test sites.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Everyone has seen the .goy bit, but how does he explain the copyrwite symbol instead of an @?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
That Humans of New York piece actually made me like Hillary much more. There's a real humanness that's lacking when she's just talking policy or being shellacked for her emails for the thousandth time.

Hopefully she does more of them, it's interesting to see what's under the political mask.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Americans
Leading
Eastern
People
Peacefully
Onward

Syria: checks out

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

NewMars posted:

Everyone has seen the .goy bit, but how does he explain the copyrwite symbol instead of an @?

The exact same way. Some PDFs are images with invisible text that is generated from the image using optical character recognition. It's far from perfect and I would believe both the v => y and the @ => © came from this. Wikileaks is lovely no doubt, but I don't think this is provably intentional.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So we've got about 6 weeks before early voting begins. Considering Florida and North Carolina both have early voting, I assume Hillary's ground game is going to be focused on getting everyone to have already cast their vote for her by Halloween. Which is going to be the biggest issue with Trump's lack of ground game, people with anything at all going on on election day are going to have to choose between that and dragging their rear end back to their precinct to vote for an orange hate golem. Meanwhile Hillary's operation are going to be focused on fewer and fewer of her voters who need encouragement to give in to Abuela.

It's double troubling for the GOP since if Hillary already got her vote locked in providing one rickety voting machine to Democratic majority precincts isn't going to have nearly the vote suppressing effect that is desired. Plus Trump's vigilante vote enforcement goons are going to have a much tougher time intimidating people.

Epic High Five posted:

Okay y'all I did some investigative reporting and Huma is definitely into some Demonic poo poo. I emailed that .goy address of hers and a bunch of gibberish from a daemon came back :tinfoil:

Did you email her @state.goy or did you use the proper address of ©state.goy?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Know how I know that last night as a huge success for Hillary? Who besides maybe Fox News is talking about her answers to the email questions? No one. Everyone is talking either about Matt Lauer being a total pussy or Trump's crazy Putin and rape answers. That says a lot to me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The halal market by my house carries Aleppo brand hummus, which is probably the best store-bought stuff I've ever had. Recent news has made snack time a depressing experience.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gyges posted:

So we've got about 6 weeks before early voting begins. Considering Florida and North Carolina both have early voting, I assume Hillary's ground game is going to be focused on getting everyone to have already cast their vote for her by Halloween. Which is going to be the biggest issue with Trump's lack of ground game, people with anything at all going on on election day are going to have to choose between that and dragging their rear end back to their precinct to vote for an orange hate golem. Meanwhile Hillary's operation are going to be focused on fewer and fewer of her voters who need encouragement to give in to Abuela.

It's double troubling for the GOP since if Hillary already got her vote locked in providing one rickety voting machine to Democratic majority precincts isn't going to have nearly the vote suppressing effect that is desired. Plus Trump's vigilante vote enforcement goons are going to have a much tougher time intimidating people.

Did you email her @state.goy or did you use the proper address of ©state.goy?

DAMNIT, globalists tricked me into giving my personal info to a daemon AGAIN

Why do I keep FALLING for this poo poo!!!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

you also realize that "it's a typo by state" doesn't make any sense here

so it's obviously an OCR error

do i need to turn this into a haiku

Please do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bill Clinton played a saxophone so everyone here is okay with the fact he may have raped a women and sexually harassed many others.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 9, 2016

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

N. Senada posted:

Hillary has a higher average speaking fee than Bill Clinton who is known as one of the best and I believe she received the most votes ever in a primary. As I said, sure, she gets sexist attacks, but to create some "I'm a girl who has no role models and can't act like the men when speaking" fiction that this is holding her back in any way is creating some kind of persecution myth. She is the best in the game today by any measurable statistic - stop having to turn her into the constant victim when she is the constant top performer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What battleground states have universal early voting?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VanSandman posted:

I've never really bought the whole 'nobody thought mittens would lose on his team' bit, those cards were canceled fast. Somebody was ready to tear the whole apparatus down immediately.

This is begging the question (used correctly): your conclusion is baked into the assumption that he would be paying these now-redundant positions when he won. He was ready to toss his campaign staff, the only change was also tossing his transition team.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Bill Clinton played a saxophone so everyone here is okay with the fact he may have raped two women and sexually harassed many others.

Bill Clinton is not running for President.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Bill Clinton played a saxophone so everyone here is okay with the fact he may have raped two women and sexually harassed many others.

Hillary didn't though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZFRvuJ2a0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/773962616599289856

• Locked thread