Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't really think it's all that forced when the entire comic has a similar tone and themes. Maybe I'm more apathetic to the property being used like this because I don't care about the source material at all, and, as far as I'm concerned, this is the most interesting thing anybody has ever done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I'd say the conceit is about half "what if The Honeymooners was about the ACTUAL working class experience in post-WW2 America and the Flintstones ripped THAT off" and half "what if the Flintstones was made today and ripped off something like Louie".

Calaveron posted:

Was this the same book that revealed Space Ghost's name to be his same name from Coast to Coast? Tadd Ghost or something like that? Not a good way of distancing itself from it.

Re; spider shooters. Spidey did try to sell his webbing as adhesive, but was turned down because it did eventually dissolved.

I think it's more that a whole generation don't even know Space Ghost (and Birdman) were largely straightforward superhero shows originally. I'm more familiar with the original shorts from seeing them on Cartoon Network as a kid, so the preoccupation with Coast To Coast is the odd one for me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also it kinda ignores the fact that OG, original Flintstones was actually pretty current satire for its time period. I mean, the Flintstones features the first-ever televised instance of a husband and wife sleeping in the same bed together. It looks super tame now, but for its time period it was pushing boundaries.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Eh, I'd argue part of the humor is precisely how weirdly incongruous with the original's banal 1950s sitcom humor the new jokes and plot setups are, but I can see how it'd be off-putting so I don't think I'd give it unqualified recommendations. Seems to work for me.

Well I'm just going off bits and pieces I see posted, but usually when people post something it's for a reason and not some unjust representation of the book. I just find it a little weird that you'd use the Flintstones to try and satirize serious issues and do so in a manner that doesn't really even give much attention to what's being satirized. I mean you make a joke about suicidal veteran and then he dies in an alien invasion later in the book? Obviously not having read the issue it's a little tough to connect those dots and find what they're actually trying to say with that plot but it just seems like the writer has some ideas for interesting things but is trying to shove them into a property where they don't really cleanly fit.

I'll refrain from further discussion on it because it's not really right for me to attempt to analyze something I've not read, it's just the bits I've seen are puzzling to me.

Anyway, back to funny panels, sorry for the derail!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The new Flintstones is bitter to the point of excess. Rather than feeling like satire it just comes across as feeling like "we're taking this old cartoon and making it DARK and SERIOUS." That is probably not the intent but I think they're failing at the execution basically. I don't care that it isn't canon, I just care that it doesn't seem to be doing a good job unless you're looking for something crazy bitter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flintstones #3

I think it's pretty fun and there's something about Fred being a brick house of muscle I found amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This issue was mostly very goofy. It was like Mars Attacks if the aliens were more partying puking lovely teenagers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Did Logan become part of the Dallas Buyer's Club?
He's working on some new techniques.

It's Moon Knight and the techniques are getting imaginary advice from and pretending he is other superheroes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I wish they'd used a different title for the story. I got the joke, but then it felt like they couldn't just let me get the joke. :mad:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It may just be my deep seated hatred of lovely lovely animation tainting my view of the entire franchise though. Even 5 year old me quickly learned to associate Hanna Barbera with barely moving bad cartoons.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Uh...actually, the new canon for the Flintstones comic is the phrase "Yabba Dabba Doo" is a phrase used by PTSD-suffering war veterans when triggered into an episode to regain their balance. So you're more accurate than you'd think.

This is tied for the new origin of "It's Clobberin' Time." from Fant4stic in terms of stupidly forced darkness on a cheerful childhood catchphrase.

Calaveron posted:

Was this the same book that revealed Space Ghost's name to be his same name from Coast to Coast? Tadd Ghost or something like that? Not a good way of distancing itself from it.

It did. It also gave Zorak a rather awesome redesign and had the villain who murdered Tad's wife taunt him by revealing that she was pregnant when he killed her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SynthOrange posted:

It may just be my deep seated hatred of lovely lovely animation tainting my view of the entire franchise though. Even 5 year old me quickly learned to associate Hanna Barbera with barely moving bad cartoons.

Man, that's half the reason I can't get into a bunch of cartoons nowadays. Archer and Bojack Horseman are so utterly boring to watch. Simpsons spoiled me.

Adventure Time is amazing obviously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

It did. It also gave Zorak a rather awesome redesign and had the villain who murdered Tad's wife taunt him by revealing that she was pregnant when he killed her.

DC loving comics!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Flintstones #3

I think it's pretty fun and there's something about Fred being a brick house of muscle I found amazing.

Thank god we had Pebbles at the end there to tell us what the joke was

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Haven't read issue 3 yet, but I really love Wilma in this series. She's got a lot of heart. I also loved the ending with Dino. After all the mammoth dishwashers , and other crap fails to make them happy, Fred returns it all, but can only get store credit. Fred seed Dino, and is told that he's from a discontinued line, and is going to be thrown out. "What's it do?" "Nothing." "I'll take it."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SynthOrange posted:

Even 5 year old me quickly learned to associate Hanna Barbera with barely moving bad cartoons.

Lobok posted:

Man, that's half the reason I can't get into a bunch of cartoons nowadays. Archer and Bojack Horseman are so utterly boring to watch. Simpsons spoiled me.

Adventure Time is amazing obviously.

:psyduck:

I realize you're just talking about pure animation chops, and not quality of the show overall or how good the jokes are, but I don't know anyone else that likes Adventure Time but not Archer or Bojack Horseman.

Christ, dude, Bojack Horseman is so loving good you might as well just leave it going in another tab and treat it like a podcast if you can't stand the animation. You'll only get like 40% of the humor but that's still some good poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I also like Adventure Time and not Archer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Archer is loving amazing though. Yall are really missing out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Archer and Adventure Time are both good shows but they have wildly different styles of humor so it's not really that surprising that someone might like one but not the other.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I like Archer and Adventure Time, but cannot stand Bojack.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bojack hits a little too close to home for me to really get into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like Archer a lot. I couldn't get into Bojack at all but more power to it. I liked what I saw of Adventure TIme but it's fanbase kind of burned me out on watching any more of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
deathstroke's baby hands should have remained the status quo through every reboot

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bounty #1

Sun Bakery #3

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Alfred's barely concealed exasperation/worry about Bruce's self-destructive lifestyle is always one of my favourite things about his characterization

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Roth posted:

Bojack hits a little too close to home for me to really get into.

I relate to this. Although I still watch it, I can't watch too much at once, I get all self-reflective and I get trapped inside my head too much as is. It's a good show though, and I'm glad that his friends actually call him out for being a dick at times.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

Still rather tame compared to that mid 2000s Space Ghost book that tried it's damnedest to distance itself from Coast to Coast with unintentionally hilarious results.

Coast to Coast overwrote all other Space Ghost continuities past, present, and future. There is no Space Ghost but Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Coast to Coast overwrote all other Space Ghost continuities past, present, and future. There is no Space Ghost but Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

True

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SynthOrange posted:

Sun Bakery #3

Shouldn't that be a good samuraitan? :haw:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

I wish they'd used a different title for the story. I got the joke, but then it felt like they couldn't just let me get the joke. :mad:

I'm mad they never referred to the chimp's vessel as a rock-et ship.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Pureauthor posted:

Alfred's barely concealed exasperation/worry about Bruce's self-destructive lifestyle is always one of my favourite things about his characterization

Jeremy Irons playing Alfred as Bruce Wayne's catty boyfriend was one of the few good things about BvS

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

I'm mad they never referred to the chimp's vessel as a rock-et ship.

That's pretty good. :)

Unrelated:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I find Archer a lot uglier than Bojack, because Bojack may have limited animation, but Archer tries to do way more animation than its budget is capable of and it looks like someone wiggling a bunch of mannequins around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I find Archer a lot uglier than Bojack, because Bojack may have limited animation, but Archer tries to do way more animation than its budget is capable of and it looks like someone wiggling a bunch of mannequins around.

Try Inferno Cop.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

WickedHate posted:

Try Inferno Cop.

This is actually fantastic advice that everyone should take.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Bravo posted:

This is actually fantastic advice that everyone should take.

I am intrigued and wish to know more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So a Japanese dude read/watched Axe Cop. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So everyone in this book is jacked?