Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Does anyone know if there's a way to keep the blood on, but turn off the blood events? They just have such a huge effect, maxing out magic or basically doubling charge, that I'd rather they didn't happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Has anyone made an effortpost about the regiments of renown?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Beans posted:

I wish there was an option to turn off the blood decal effects, but leave on the gibbs and spray when units die. It's actually quite helpful to see how many models are killed in a charge vs knockdown, but as you say it makes every unit look 90% red after a few minutes combat.

could try this mod

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Also in cased anyone who preordered missed it, you get a free dota 2 chest that you can sell on the steam market for around $20 right now (before steam takes their cut). Turns a few DLC into FreeLC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Trujillo posted:

Also in cased anyone who preordered missed it, you get a free dota 2 chest that you can sell on the steam market for around $20 right now (before steam takes their cut). Turns a few DLC into FreeLC.

Really? Thank you insane DOTA players.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I know CA does this with every Total War game now but the fact that they charge $3 for a blood and gore DLC is really annoying. They use the excuse that it lets them get around rating restrictions but if that was the case they should sell it for like a penny same day the game launches. It's totally just a money grab and I realize it's only $3 but it just feels lovely.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Trujillo posted:

Is there something special I have to do to claim this? I preordered, but it's not in my inventory. I wouldn't say no to free :10bux: :10bux:.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You have to have pre-ordered from Steam.

Speaking of DLC, where is my Wood Elves' announcement? It is September already!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZearothK posted:

You have to have pre-ordered from Steam.

Speaking of DLC, where is my Wood Elves' announcement? It is September already!

So far they've been teasing the DLCs about 2-3 weeks before release, and officially announcing them about a week before. So give it another week at least.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

I dont know posted:

Is there something special I have to do to claim this? I preordered, but it's not in my inventory. I wouldn't say no to free :10bux: :10bux:.

Yeah forgot to mention I think you need to run dota 2 and it'll be a pop-up in the main menu.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Trujillo posted:

Yeah forgot to mention I think you need to run dota 2 and it'll be a pop-up in the main menu.

That did it. Thanks for the heads up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol I'm gonna reinstall Dota 2 and then uninstall it 5 min later just so I can get an e-box for resale.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Neat. I just did the thing to get the money! I think clicking to "open" the item in-game might be the wrong way to go about it, though. Instead I ended up clicking some things in the Steam overlay to sell it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ravenfood posted:

I just started a VC campaign on VH, un modded. Any tips for the campaign besides research lahmia and get gold mines up and running asap?

E:. Actually, an advice on VC on battle besides tarpit with zombies/graveguard and smash with monsters/blood knights would be really appreciated too. :kiddo:

Turn Zhufbard into a vassal when they finally decide to pick on you, same with Karak Hadrin in the north eastern peaks.. This will make your dealing with greenskins who sometimes stomp the dwarf faction easier.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I got a couple good replays saved and thinking of uploading to youtube. Haven't even looked at a video editor in a long time (10 years), any good free ones that you guys use?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can see the regeneration available to a unit, both total and remaining, by hovering over the little blood drop next to their healthbar, by the way. I just figured that out.

e: VC campaign moving along alright. Managed to snipe the Empire on turn 60 by just marching through Stirland and blitzing Altdorf so I won't have to deal with them chain-confederating once Archaon shows up. And since I occupied it, I can use it to start taking out Brettonia too. Ghorst is watching the Sylvanias with his nice Raise Dead cost-debuffs for a good trouble-shooting army and debating dealing with the two Dwarven factions, one of whom beat the Greenskins and the other confederated with the Dwarves. I need to do something about them, too, before they take over the whole badlands.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 8, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just beat a VH orc campaign, and man oh man are greenskin units poo poo at fighting anything with a hint of armor. What am I supposed to do against a "good" dwarf army or chaos army, other than do the orcy thing and send wave after wave of doomed orcs and goblins at a dude. Grimgor can't kill 3 heroes, the Lord, and all the chosen by himself!

The weird thing was that, about halfway through, me and the Empire seemed to be turbo-pals and I helped them kill all the vampires and they helped me by clearing out all the stupid dwarfholds; we had a stable 100+ relationship going. Of course, I had to ultimately defeat the Empire for the long campaign victory but until my betrayal we could have had a lasting friendship considering everyone apparently hates the empire as much as they hate the greenskins.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kaza42 posted:

Chaos gets more unit varieties if you own the pack than are in the base game. I think they also get more legendary lords, with Archaon being the only one in the base game.

Oh, so that's where all the dragon ogres I was expecting to fight were. I might have to get Chaos just to spice up the invasion.

Also, those tournament games were great fun to watch, thanks for posting them! I think the Brettonia battles demonstrate their fatal flaw pretty well: as great as all flavors of Knight are, the Brettonian roster provides no heavy infantry or monsters that can capitalize on a successful charge. All their cavalry units have no staying power so they'll just get dogpiled by the enemy's heavy infantry and from there you're finished.

I suspect the Lore of Life and Grail Pilgrims will help them more than any other Faction - they need sturdy units to be competitive.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

brocretin posted:

Oh, so that's where all the dragon ogres I was expecting to fight were. I might have to get Chaos just to spice up the invasion.

Also, those tournament games were great fun to watch, thanks for posting them! I think the Brettonia battles demonstrate their fatal flaw pretty well: as great as all flavors of Knight are, the Brettonian roster provides no heavy infantry or monsters that can capitalize on a successful charge. All their cavalry units have no staying power so they'll just get dogpiled by the enemy's heavy infantry and from there you're finished.

I suspect the Lore of Life and Grail Pilgrims will help them more than any other Faction - they need sturdy units to be competitive.

Questing Knights as well. As I understand it, they use great weapons instead of lances, so they will likely have a much worse charge, but get anti-large and armor piercing instead. That would really help against a lot of things which give Brets trouble now.

Even with the expansion, most chaos armies I've seen have still been poo poo tons of mounted marauders.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

KillerQueen posted:

Has anyone made an effortpost about the regiments of renown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJ5zvOLH0c

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You can see the regeneration available to a unit, both total and remaining, by hovering over the little blood drop next to their healthbar, by the way. I just figured that out.

e: VC campaign moving along alright. Managed to snipe the Empire on turn 60 by just marching through Stirland and blitzing Altdorf so I won't have to deal with them chain-confederating once Archaon shows up. And since I occupied it, I can use it to start taking out Brettonia too. Ghorst is watching the Sylvanias with his nice Raise Dead cost-debuffs for a good trouble-shooting army and debating dealing with the two Dwarven factions, one of whom beat the Greenskins and the other confederated with the Dwarves. I need to do something about them, too, before they take over the whole badlands.

Just declare war on the dwarves and keep an army near the border. They will keep a standing army on the other side which will be one less they can use against the orcs.
Then you can fight them whenever. Though keep an eye on the border prince entrance because they could come through there for your middle provinces.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All relevant thoughts about Regiments of Renown:

SP: They are real strong for not much more money, use them errday.

MP: They are situational good value, use them sometimes.

Now you know!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

All relevant thoughts about Regiments of Renown:

SP: They are real strong for not much more money, use them errday.

MP: They are situational good value, use them sometimes.

Now you know!

Unless it's vlad's army. RoR don't gain XP, and are sometimes weaker than a 3-gold chevron regular unit. Vlad makes everyone a regiment of renown!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

Unless it's vlad's army. RoR don't gain XP, and are sometimes weaker than a 3-gold chevron regular unit. Vlad makes everyone a regiment of renown!

Wow, now I am the one who knows! :cheerdoge:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

was doing a multiplayer game, a like 50 hp giant comes back from routing and waddles over to my hellcanon, one of the dwarfs manning it punches him in the toe and he dies :owned:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kaza42 posted:

there are mods out there that let RoR's gain xp, which is pretty cool and good

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

oh snap thank you, this rules

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
So how do I sell that dumb dota2 box? I installed the game, ran it, got the pop up, clicked it away and then shut off the game to look at steam storage but can't find it anywhere there. Did I gently caress something up :confused:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Just declare war on the dwarves and keep an army near the border. They will keep a standing army on the other side which will be one less they can use against the orcs.
Then you can fight them whenever. Though keep an eye on the border prince entrance because they could come through there for your middle provinces.
Yeah, the Dwarves had 18 settlements throughout the badlands, and just confederated with the entire mountain area, who for some reason accepted, considering they were fighting absolutely nobody. gently caress. 26 Dwarven holds to raze, in the mountains, and the Greenskins and border princes are losing already.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Haven't played much lately, decided to try the new DLC and you were right guys, Vlad is a freaking beast, he shows Manfred who's the big daddy vampire. Also, Gejnor's Tier IV settlement mod adresses my main issue with VC and now you can build your top units and most of your heroes in a reasonable time (before Chaos shows up), now I'm a happy undead lobster.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Choyi posted:

So how do I sell that dumb dota2 box? I installed the game, ran it, got the pop up, clicked it away and then shut off the game to look at steam storage but can't find it anywhere there. Did I gently caress something up :confused:

There is a separate inventory for dota 2 items compared to you're regular steam items (like cards). Make sure you're in the right inventory, if not there should be a tab towards the top that says DOTA.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there some hidden feature about halberds that make them particularly effective? I know they have a slower swing time, but with honest steel and some exp theyre still hilariously effective, even more so than their visible stats would suggest

I end up just using a blend of halberds and swordsmen as my core units even in the uber late game because halberds just rip everything up, I find them generally more effective than greatswords against basically every unit. They're pretty durable too except for getting shot, and obviously gently caress up large units.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is there some hidden feature about halberds that make them particularly effective? I know they have a slower swing time, but with honest steel and some exp theyre still hilariously effective, even more so than their visible stats would suggest

I end up just using a blend of halberds and swordsmen as my core units even in the uber late game because halberds just rip everything up, I find them generally more effective than greatswords against basically every unit. They're pretty durable too except for getting shot, and obviously gently caress up large units.

The main hidden feature of Halberds is their weapon length, allowing more units at a time to make attacks than you would expect.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I dont know posted:

There is a separate inventory for dota 2 items compared to you're regular steam items (like cards). Make sure you're in the right inventory, if not there should be a tab towards the top that says DOTA.

Thanks, that helped. gently caress their useless lovely verifier app with no loving way around not having it other than eating a long-rear end hold though.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

madmac posted:

The main hidden feature of Halberds is their weapon length, allowing more units at a time to make attacks than you would expect.

This has got to be the case with beastmens ungor spearmen herds.. because they are CRAZY good for a basic unit.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Just finished my matches against Triskelli.
Replays

Match One: Vampires (Kaza) vs Empire (Triskelli)
I split into two here, and I think that Triskelli focused too heavily on my chaff flank, letting my vlad-graveguard slowly roll up. My vargheists got some good anti-ranged units charges off, and I was finally able to huddle around a corpse cart long enough to regenerate in time for the final clash. A very close victory for Kaza.....

Match Two: Empire (Kaza) vs Dwarfs (Triskelli)
A huge clusterfuck of a battle. I took too much artillery given the map, and it was largely useless. Dwarven heavy infantry smashed the Empire lines, but the Demigryphs had a nearly free reign the entire time, and the twin vortex spells of Volkmar and a Bright Wizard hurt the tightly packed dwarfs. A comfortable victory for Triskelli..

Match Three: Dwarfs (Kaza) vs Beastmen (Triskelli)
A respectable matchup. Gorebulls+Minotaur heavy beastmen clash into a quarreler+warrior line. The quarrelers were worth their weight in gold, as few of the beastmen units had good armor. Cygors made the dwarfs go on the offensive after the midway point of the battle, and in the end, barely anyone was left alive on either side. An incredibly close victory for Kaza.......

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This has got to be the case with beastmens ungor spearmen herds.. because they are CRAZY good for a basic unit.

Yeah I've had Ungor spears get like 100+ kills, they're absolutely mad sometimes.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Kaza42 posted:

Just finished my matches against Triskelli.
Replays

Match One: Vampires (Kaza) vs Empire (Triskelli)
I split into two here, and I think that Triskelli focused too heavily on my chaff flank, letting my vlad-graveguard slowly roll up. My vargheists got some good anti-ranged units charges off, and I was finally able to huddle around a corpse cart long enough to regenerate in time for the final clash. A very close victory for Kaza.....

Match Two: Empire (Kaza) vs Dwarfs (Triskelli)
A huge clusterfuck of a battle. I took too much artillery given the map, and it was largely useless. Dwarven heavy infantry smashed the Empire lines, but the Demigryphs had a nearly free reign the entire time, and the twin vortex spells of Volkmar and a Bright Wizard hurt the tightly packed dwarfs. A comfortable victory for Triskelli..

Match Three: Dwarfs (Kaza) vs Beastmen (Triskelli)
A respectable matchup. Gorebulls+Minotaur heavy beastmen clash into a quarreler+warrior line. The quarrelers were worth their weight in gold, as few of the beastmen units had good armor. Cygors made the dwarfs go on the offensive after the midway point of the battle, and in the end, barely anyone was left alive on either side. An incredibly close victory for Kaza.......

Kaza's VC vs Triskelli's Empire: odd that Triskelli didn't feel the need to send melee units to protect his missile units, or focus on shooting the Vargheists more. The Demigryphs could probably have killed them before the Grave Guard units even caught up and that probably would have won him the match. Demigryphs with lances really good if you'd prefer to be using them to kill infantry and they are still pretty effective against bigger threats. When most of Triskelli's army routed it would have been good for Kaza to have a unit or two chase them off the field because as it was they all rallied. Kaza's Vargheists did a lot for him this match with both their kill tally and the morale shocks of their rear charges.

Kaza's Empire vs Triskelli's Dwarfs: Perhaps Kaza wasn't aware of how this map worked, but his Helstorm battery wasted a lot of shots with the hill blocking the centre. The mortars were a good idea, but he spent way too many points on artillery and missile units. Triskeli persists with his casting of vortex spells to little effect.

Triskelli's Beastmen vs Kaza's Dwarfs: Some Dwarf cannons would probably have served Kaza more here than stone throwers to deal with the Minotaurs and Cygors. Triskelli got off a really nice Devolve cast against the Dwarf line hitting all of the units at once because they were so bunched up. On the other hand, the dense mass and charge defence of the Dwarfs held off the Minotaurs.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I forgot to add ClassicFascist and 420 Gank Mid to the current round. :downs: I'll send then messages asking them if they are still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

So bearing in mind the cost effectiveness of ungors, what is the point of gors and bestigors?

• Locked thread