Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Bubble/Hydropump Poliwrath been guarding a church gym deep in Amish territory, PA since Sunday.

Stay safe out there, Poliwrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

chemosh6969 posted:

They had sponsored portals in ingress and that wasn't a big hit.

Did anyone other than AXA sponsor them? That always seemed a weird combinaton...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I dunno why by horridly awful final evolutions amuse me.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Eikre posted:

Charitably, I could surmise that your Pidgeot is level 32 with IVs of 7-0-0, and that your Arcanine is level 22 with IVs of 2-12-15.

Your Pidgeot would then have 123 HP compared to your Arcanine's 122. Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted Defense would be 123 compared to your Arcanine's 120.

Your Pidgeot's level-adjusted attack would be only 132 compared to Arcanine's 145, but the base-DPS on a wing-attack/hurricane routine is 17.6 compared to the 14.9 for an Arcanine with Fire Fang, meaning the dog only has about 93% the offensive power of the bird.

So this Arcanine you have, in return for winning you less prestige when you train at friendly gyms, is worse than your Pidgeot in each metric, and you are either a moron or have an actual, literal physical disability preventing you from proficiently playing this repetitive tapping game for children.

On top of this, don't forget that Fire Fang is slower than Wing Attack, making it more difficult to dodge while spamming it :)

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 9, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

final2percent posted:

Bubble/Hydropump Poliwrath been guarding a church gym deep in Amish territory, PA since Sunday.

Stay safe out there, Poliwrath.

:patriot:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?!

:boom:

Here's a guide that will help you be the very best at throwing Pokéballs!

Links:
- Niantic's official throwing guide
- PokéAssistant.com's Catch Chance Calculator
- Pokemon Catch & Flee Rates: Table and Analysis by reddit

Guide

The color of the ring indicates the base difficulty to catch a Pokémon. Here are some approximations:
dark red = <5% chance
red = 10% chance
orange = 25% chance
yellow = 50% chance
green = 75% chance
dark green = >90% chance

There are different shades/tints of each color, indicating values in-between. For example, if the ring is colored light red or dark orange, you have about a 15-20% base chance.

If a Pokémon breaks loose from your Pokéball it has a separate chance to flee. This flee chance is determined by its species.

Given the base difficulty, there are several things you can do to increase your chances of catching a Pokémon:
1. Your number one focus should be: "You have the greatest chance of capturing the Pokémon while the colored ring is at its smallest diameter. At the opportune moment, fling the Poké Ball toward the Pokémon."
2. Use good Pokéballs on Pokémon you want to catch. Great Balls increase your overall chance by about 50% and Ultra Balls by about 100%. For example, if you have 10% chance with a normal Pokéball, then you will have about a 20% chance to catch it with an Ultra Ball; this change will be reflected in the lightened color of the ring when using the Ultra.
3. Use Razz Berries on Pokémon you want to catch.
4. Try to get in the habit of throwing curve balls (see below).
5. Try to get in the habit of throwing "Great!" or "Excellent!" throws.

What's a curve ball?
It's when you spin the Pokéball before you throw it at a slight curve towards the target. Curve balls give you bonus XP and may slightly improve your chance of catching the Pokémon.

What do Razz Berries do?
Berries probably improve your chance to catch the Pokémon and/or reduce the chance of your target fleeing if it breaks loose.

What's a "Nice!", "Great!", or "Excellent!" throw?
These occur when your Pokéball hits inside the colored ring. These throws give you bonus XP and may improve your chances of catching the Pokémon relative to the size of the colored ring.

What's nice about a "Nice!" throw?
Nice throws occur when you hit inside the colored ring, but away from the center of the Pokémon. If the colored ring has shrunk enough (less than 50% of max size), it's impossible to get "Nice!" throws because areas farther away from the center of the Pokémon are no longer inside the colored ring.

The benefits of the "Nice!" throw bonus don't outweigh the penalties of throwing when the colored ring is large. In other words, if your goal is to catch the Pokémon, there's nothing nice about a "Nice!" throw.

You say "may" and "possibly" a lot
The community has not yet figured out how much Razz Berries and different types of throws affect catch and/or flee chances. There's lots of people looking into it and I'll update the page when we have hard numbers. Based on my experience playing I'm confident that Razz Berries and throws that award bonus XP affect your catch chance in a positive way, so that's why I'm recommending them.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
In Tokyo right now and can confirm the "sponsored" stops thing. The number of stops is insane, as are spawn rates as compared to suburban areas. I'm getting 100 pokeballs on a 20 min train ride. I've only seen on farfetched though and it was only a "nearby".

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Alternatively, maybe they trained it up so that it would be harder to knock their 'mon off

Well, pushing it over the threshold would have allowed another defender to help keep the mon there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cartouche posted:

Well, pushing it over the threshold would have allowed another defender to help keep the mon there.

Ah, unless they're worried about a higher CP pokemon being put in.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Cartouche posted:

You're assuming that a defender left it in that state, when it's more likely that an attacker left it like that. Some lovely attacker somehow couldn't take down the whole gym and instead bumped off one or two pokes and then gave up, or somebody intentionally dropped it enough for the Snorlax to take the lowest spot like people were posting about several pages ago.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Alternatively, maybe they trained it up so that it would be harder to knock their 'mon off?

I'll usually leave a flareon, electabuzz, scyther, etc.

Flareon or arcanine is my go to for 1st slot gyms, the cp dosent matter so much because most people have a variety of pokes at different levels, and everyone has a lot of good water pokes. A 1000 vaporeon can take down a 1400 flareon for a ton of training points.

If I am training up an existing gym I'll put in a guy at a higher slot to prevent from getting knocked off by some bored random with one or two fights in him. I only use stardust when I am about to train or slot in a defender because sometimes it's better to have lower cp pokes.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

You're assuming that a defender left it in that state, when it's more likely that an attacker left it like that. Some lovely attacker somehow couldn't take down the whole gym and instead bumped off one or two pokes and then gave up, or somebody intentionally dropped it enough for the Snorlax to take the lowest spot like people were posting about several pages ago.

I mentioned such a scenario earlier.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hey what's that browser radar that displays which teams own which gyms and how much prestige they have?

Also when someone attacks a gym so drops to the point just barely above the level threshold, say 30,500/40,000 to make it harder to train back up, what do you call that? I mean I'm sure people call it different things, but what have you heard it called?

Hobo Clown posted:

What's the benefit to being a higher level? Evolutions & hatches start with higher CP? Is that it?

That and you unlock new items like max potion at 25 and max revive at level 30. Since the wild pokemon CP cap is at level 30 I don't know if there's really a point to levelling past 30 though.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 9, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I went out and tried to screenshot the orange ring on a bellsprout, but it's unreasonably difficult to do the swipe screencap motion, I wasted about 40 pokeballs trying. Eyeballing it though, the colour doesn't seem different.

Also I met a mystic in the other town taking a gym. A car pulled up and I knew immediately they meant business, their gyarados helped me on the final battle, and I plunked my man in there. It's cool to meet a fellow team member when there's only a dozen names that pop up in gyms. Tried to take more gyms in another town but I have zero potions, managed to take a level 4 down though by sending everyone (EEEEVERYYYONE).

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
It really seems like there is a little blue dash when Abra escapes like a teleport animation, not the normal flee animation. Is this something others have noticed?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Hey what's that browser radar that displays which teams own which gyms and how much prestige they have?

Also when someone attacks a gym so drops to the point just barely above the level threshold, say 30,500/40,000 to make it harder to train back up, what do you call that? I mean I'm sure people call it different things, but what have you heard it called?

That and you unlock new items like max potion at 25 and max revive at level 30. Since the wild pokemon CP cap is at level 30 I don't know if there's really a point to levelling past 30 though.
https://www.pokestumble.com is a scanner which will do that. Very slow at finding actual pokemon though.

The only point to leveling past 30 is increasing the max level to which you can power up Pokemon, which is 40. It's a pretty minimal increase though.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I really wish they'd change the dodge mechanic when attacking gyms. gently caress whoever decided a vague yellow flash should be the dodge indicator. Maybe my eyes are broken, but trying to take a gym with the sun glaring down on my phone and hoping to detect a faint yellow tinge is impossible for me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

poo poo I don't care what people call it, I still wanna know why people do it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I really wish they'd change the dodge mechanic when attacking gyms. gently caress whoever decided a vague yellow flash should be the dodge indicator. Maybe my eyes are broken, but trying to take a gym with the sun glaring down on my phone and hoping to detect a faint yellow tinge is impossible for me.

I get what you're saying. This is what I do, not sure if you'll find it helpful: Look for the "wind streak" effects at the edges of the screen instead of the flash. To me, they're easier to spot. I also focus my eyes in the upper left-hand corner, where's there's less "going on" and I can still keep track of my energy bar, etc. That's right, I don't even look at the pokemon, I just look for "wind streaks" at the corner of the screen. Not the funnest way to play I guess, but it should save you some eye strain. :(

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Wait so what format are you using now, and how are you calculating raw stats from IVs?

The format I post IVs is Attack-Defense-Stamina.

I am calculating their level-adjusted stats, the real, derived values that they take into a fight. They are calculated the same way HP is: STAT*CPm, where STAT is equal to the Pokemon's IV plus species base-stat. CPm is a static value derived, by lookup table, from the Pokemon's level. You can also calculate it =(CP*10)/(ATK*sqrt(DEF*STAM)).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Broseph Brostar posted:

I do it to be an rear end in a top hat mostly.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Shifty Pony posted:

I do it to be an rear end in a top hat mostly.

I mostly do it because I get bored of attacking a gym.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On the desktop scanner map, what do the various colors of spawn points indicate?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Is Niantic incapable of fixing catch rates or do they actually think there's any chance anyone with the smallest amount of dignity could use their entire inventory on a dragonite, twice, two incidents in eight weeks, and actually go 'well I think I'll insert my credit card, stock up on balls instantly so I'm ready for round three!"

It feels as though Niantic had a single employee call Nintendo and ask for information on the catch rate of each ball/pokemon, get turned down, and the staff went "we could check bulbapedia but who's got the time? the worse you make it the longer we have a job"

Adult male here playing the worst kids game ever to exist, angry about video games. Over and out

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

extra stout posted:

Is Niantic incapable of fixing catch rates or do they actually think there's any chance anyone with the smallest amount of dignity could use their entire inventory on a dragonite, twice, two incidents in eight weeks, and actually go 'well I think I'll insert my credit card, stock up on balls instantly so I'm ready for round three!"

It feels as though Niantic had a single employee call Nintendo and ask for information on the catch rate of each ball/pokemon, get turned down, and the staff went "we could check bulbapedia but who's got the time? the worse you make it the longer we have a job"

Adult male here playing the worst kids game ever to exist, angry about video games. Over and out

I know you tried to laugh at yourself a bit with the last line but do you really think the issue is that Niantic didn't look up what the catch rate for pokemon was in the actual handheld games

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

I've seen it done to gyms that the same people visit every day, like the ones by my work that the same yellow and blue players fight over every day. Sometimes you don't have enough time, potions, or teammates handy to take down the gym completely and other times you're capable of beating it but if you do, the other team will recapture it right away and start rebuilding from scratch with three free slots. It's a long term strategy and also a total dick move, but there's still practical reasons to do it.

Also I once saw a kid no older than twelve standing outside a gym and level it down to 40,500 and stop.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just caught a 100% Chansey. Has Psychic moves

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Also I once saw a kid no older than twelve standing outside a gym and level it down to 40,500 and stop.

I feel bad for kids. They can't drive around to get to ideal farming spots and all the gyms are stuffed with 2k Pokemon from those adults who can.

This morning early AM before running to get breakfast tacos (food of the gods btw) I knocked off a yellow gym full of high level defenders near the elementary school in my neighborhood, stuck a relatively uncommon for the area victreebel in there, and trained it up 3k so that three other mons could fit in. I checked back a bit later and sure enough right when kids would be walking to school it got filled with mons from level 10 and 11 players. :kimchi:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shifty Pony posted:

I feel bad for kids. They can't drive around to get to ideal farming spots and all the gyms are stuffed with 2k Pokemon from those adults who can.

They have don't have jobs, children or responsibilities, and they have bikes. Fudge 'em.
I'm looking forward to holding some extra gyms now that all the kiddie's are back in school. I've been holding 5 to 7 gyms steadily that aren't near a school or college campus.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

On the desktop scanner map, what do the various colors of spawn points indicate?

time until spawn happens/time left on current spawn

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

They have don't have jobs, children or responsibilities, and they have bikes. Fudge 'em.
I'm looking forward to holding some extra gyms now that all the kiddie's are back in school. I've been holding 5 to 7 gyms steadily that aren't near a school or college campus.

Ha. Kids aren't allowed to just bike around town these days.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Third high IV gyrados with twister gently caress this game.

Sunk cost fallacy and stubbornness has led me to this fate. The fate of being an adult man who is angry at a children's game played on a mobile phone.

I need to think about poo poo for a while.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Can anyone recommend places to play Pogo around Boston/Cambridge? What spawns should I expect, and where can I find good Pokestop concentrations? Thanks!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Third high IV gyrados with twister gently caress this game.

Sunk cost fallacy and stubbornness has led me to this fate. The fate of being an adult man who is angry at a children's game played on a mobile phone.

I need to think about poo poo for a while.

I have a few rare pokemon that I evolved that got lovely movesets. I'm holding out hope that they introduce a way to reroll or change movesets in an upcoming release. I would actually bet money that they will eventually implement such a feature.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This morning marks the seventh consecutive night this little bastard has held one of the Gyms near me. When it started it was a level 7 monstrosity with a couple of weak 'mons on the bottom which was great for training. They got knocked off and now it's level 4 with a couple of decent things in here and this on top -

One whole week! :cawg:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The gym I normally grab while walking my dog has been bugged for the last 8 hours or so. If you try to topple it you get forced out of the gym screen.
Restarted my app and wasn't able to log back in for at least 10 min. Idk how long I was actually locked out for, but 10 min was the last I tried.

Anyway super cool

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
That :20bux: I gave to Niantic has become pretty helpful when I think about all the time I save not taking gyms for an hour every night out of compulsion to collect like 40 cents max.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

flatluigi posted:

I know you tried to laugh at yourself a bit with the last line but do you really think the issue is that Niantic didn't look up what the catch rate for pokemon was in the actual handheld games

I know only that the game has something like 400 bugs, and I am able to overlook most of them to enjoy the excuse to do a lot of walking and jogging while sort of playing a game that sort of resembles a great game from my childhood, and that to simplify it: Things that I'm used to being information that make it very very easy to catch a pokemon somehow leaves me in scenarios where my entire inventory is gone, I have earned nothing in return, and all I can think of is 'why'

Being able to laugh at yourself should actually be a requirement to play this game, let it replace one of the pop up warnings about driving or trespassing.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I would pay good money for an egg storage upgrade.
And then I would walk around and buy more incubators.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Snowy posted:

light blue: something will spawn here in a couple of minutes
dark blue: something will spawn here soon
green: something just spawned here
yellow: something is here
orange: something is here but will be gone in a couple of minutes
red: something is here but will be gone soon
grey: nothing to see here, move along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family