Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Friends, much like Seinfeld, was never good.

Seinfeld was a good prequel to Curb Your Enthusiasm, wherein we learn that George Larry David is a severely disturbed person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Phoebe was the random quirky friend so by definition the worst.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

Phoebe was the random quirky friend so by definition the worst.

She's the worst possible version of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, in that she actually makes the lives of those around her worse, and doesn't even listen to good music

Memento posted:

Friends, much like Seinfeld, was never good.

mlyp

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Smelly Cat was the anthem of the 90's.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

She's the worst possible version of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, in that she actually makes the lives of those around her worse, and doesn't even listen to good music

That sounds like the best version to me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So I'm watching FRIENDS and Ross and Rachel have feelings for each other but never actually talk and Ross sees Rachel kiss Gavin on Monica and Chandlers balcony and he has this hurt expression and then he goes to Chandler and complains about her kissing a guy even though they've never talked or said anything. He also doesn't give Rachel a message that Bill from the Bar called for her.

drat Ross could you be anymore of a bitch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elfgames posted:

My irrationally irritating F-R-I-E-N-D-S moment is how Ross after years of phoebe not believing he was a doctor tells him she doesn't believe in Evolution and he doesn't just drop her as a friend.

I have a friend who doesn't believe in dinosaurs but I keep her around because she's nice and fun to hang with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

But the party came to a halt when she admitted it publicly and we picked her apart like some naive alien.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

My IIMM is that in the first episode the kid rolls a D20 for his fireball, but you NEVER roll a D20 for fireball. It automatically hits anything in the area, and the DM would be the one rolling the saving throw for the Demogorgon.

If you have to shoot it through a narrow gap like an arrow slit or something you have to make an attack roll to not have it blow up early. That does not appear to be what happened on the show, however.

I think the D&D might intentionally be wrong to mess with people which is hilarious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe they are like me and take the established rules, break them over your knee and do whatever the gently caress you want.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Scenes where there are people talking in the background just mere feet away but they aren't making any sound. I can understand dulling their voices so we can hear the main characters talk, but it just looks goofy if they're completely silent and fake-talking to each other.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Scenes where there are people talking in the background just mere feet away but they aren't making any sound. I can understand dulling their voices so we can hear the main characters talk, but it just looks goofy if they're completely silent and fake-talking to each other.

This is just the inverse of what happens when they're talking about highly secretive or illegal stuff out in public and nobody around them hears.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that bothered me a lot when I was younger was how in The Legend of Zorro (the second Antonio Banderas movie), the villain's plan is to mass-produce an experimental explosive (nitroglycerin) and supply it to the Confederates, which will give them an advantage over the Union and prevent America from becoming a threat to the European powers.

But the movie is set in 1850 and the Confederacy didn't exist until 1861.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that bothered me a lot when I was younger was how in The Legend of Zorro (the second Antonio Banderas movie), the villain's plan is to mass-produce an experimental explosive (nitroglycerin) and supply it to the Confederates, which will give them an advantage over the Union and prevent America from becoming a threat to the European powers.

It would also have taken some serious foresight to imagine the US ever being a world power at that point. We were a largely agricultural country. Even by the beginning of World War I more than 50 years later we were still kind of a joke compared to the continental powers of Europe at that time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

But the party came to a halt when she admitted it publicly and we picked her apart like some naive alien.

I have a friend who thought llamas were mythical creatures like unicorns until she was 16.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EmmyOk posted:

I have a friend who thought llamas were mythical creatures like unicorns until she was 16.

Multiple times in my life I've seen/read people express disbelief that narwhals are real.

I don't know what it is about narwhals, but a LOT of people seem to think they're mystical/fantastical creatures like unicorns or dragons.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm a fairly knowledgeable man, but I had never even heard of pangolins until they were a shield type in Borderlands 2. I assumed they were a made-up creature from that game for a couple months until my roommate set me straight.

My spellcheck is even refusing to admit pangolin is a word right now, so apparently it's not an uncommon knowledge gap.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Multiple times in my life I've seen/read people express disbelief that narwhals are real.

I don't know what it is about narwhals, but a LOT of people seem to think they're mystical/fantastical creatures like unicorns or dragons.

A whale with a horn is far more unlikely than a llama imho. Also this isn't an IIMM but once in school when I was 10 we were asked to name two animals that live in the Andes and I said alpacas and condors and got no marks because "Condors are birds". Still raging to be honest.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

A whale with a horn is far more unlikely than a llama imho. Also this isn't an IIMM but once in school when I was 10 we were asked to name two animals that live in the Andes and I said alpacas and condors and got no marks because "Condors are birds". Still raging to be honest.

Dude it's a modified tooth, come on.

Spxtz
Oct 9, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I said alpacas and condors and got no marks because "Condors are birds". Still raging to be honest.

"Bats aren't bugs!!"

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Spxtz posted:

"Bats aren't bugs!!"

'Course, that might not do any good you see nobody's missing a porpoise. It's a dolphin that's been taken. The common harbor porpoise has an abrupt snout, pointed teeth and a triangular thoracic fin. While the bottlenose dolphin, or Tursiops truncates, has an elongated beak, round cone shaped teeth and a serrated dorsal appendage.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Spxtz posted:

"Bats aren't bugs!!"

Look, who's giving the report? You chowderheads... or me??

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

EmmyOk posted:

And people wonder why American education is falling behind in the sciences.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Atticus_1354 posted:

And people wonder why American education is falling behind in the sciences.

He's not American

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's not American

Well now I am even more sad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's not American

Man the American Education System is even failing other countries.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wheat Loaf posted:

That is a rationally irritating movie moment though.

The irrational thing about the Legend of Zorro is that the plot wasn't about the US becoming a threat to Europe, it was that the villain was part of a secret Illuminati society that ruled Europe in the shadows and he didn't want a united America to be ruled by people outside of the secret society.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

'Course, that might not do any good you see nobody's missing a porpoise. It's a dolphin that's been taken. The common harbor porpoise has an abrupt snout, pointed teeth and a triangular thoracic fin. While the bottlenose dolphin, or Tursiops truncates, has an elongated beak, round cone shaped teeth and a serrated dorsal appendage.

God, I hope you just knew that and didn't have to look it up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Man the American Education System is even failing other countries.

Well a long enough scale, yeah.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

I got asked to name my favorite continent in grade school. I said Australia and the teacher told me "Australia is a country, not a continent" the whole class laughed at me and I felt really stupid. It wasn't until later that day that I realized it's both. But the damage was done, I never believed anything grown ups said to me after that day without looking it up myself.

I'm probably scarred for life over it, especially if I'm posting about it on an Internet forum 20 years later.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Harton posted:

I got asked to name my favorite continent in grade school. I said Australia and the teacher told me "Australia is a country, not a continent" the whole class laughed at me and I felt really stupid. It wasn't until later that day that I realized it's both. But the damage was done, I never believed anything grown ups said to me after that day without looking it up myself.

I'm probably scarred for life over it, especially if I'm posting about it on an Internet forum 20 years later.

Isn't the continent Australasia?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It's happening again!

Seriously though it was like 20 something years ago. Who knows what they call it now, but back in Midwestern America in the early 90's we didn't use silly words like Australasia.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Harton posted:

It's happening again!

Seriously though it was like 20 something years ago. Who knows what they call it now, but back in Midwestern America in the early 90's we didn't use silly words like Australasia.

Nothing like the principal of our school telling me that I didn't see a Tasmanian devil at the LA Zoo back in 5th grade. I guess the field trip was actually at Warner Bros and I confused the two, cuz you know how they use all them crazy, made-up animals in those cartoons.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Captain America : Civil War

Hawkeye shows up at the airport fight and Iron Man asks him why he isn't retired and golfing. Hawkeye says " I played 18, shot 18."' If he's the greatest golfer who has ever lived why is he wasting his time fight robots and Ant Mans? He could be making millions on the PGA tour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Better question: why does he not put down the bow and start using a golf theme, with hyperaccurate shots, smoke bomb trick balls and the modified golf cart Hawkmobile, because that would make for vastly better movies in every aspect.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Sep 9, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Hawkeye shows up at the airport fight and Iron Man asks him why he isn't retired and golfing. Hawkeye says " I played 18, shot 18."' If he's the greatest golfer who has ever lived why is he wasting his time fight robots and Ant Mans? He could be making millions on the PGA tour.

Because a line later he said it's boring, and his wife is real real proud of his avenging.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You could make this argument about almost any superhero or -villain. Marvel lampshaded it with villains using potentially world changing gizmos to rob convenience stores in one of their recent Spiderman runs, but it's always been the core of Peter's character. Why does Spiderman fight crime as an impoverished student when he could patent the formula for web fluid and make billions? Because he also feels a responsibility to use his abilities to fight crime, and if he patents the fluid Spiderman uses to do that he'll put his family in as much danger as if he didn't have a secret identity. It's the same with Hawkeye. Why does he not make millions on the golf tour? Because he has more important things to do and money isn't an issue.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fil5000 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania :colbert:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fil5000 posted:

No, the contiguous landmass of the country Australia, with the addition of Tasmania, is the continent of Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Memento posted:

No, the contiguous landmass of the country Australia, with the addition of Tasmania, is the continent of Australia.

I see, it's all very clear now.