Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

It's honestly bizarre that the birther thing hasn't been more of an issue for Trump. I mean, the guy publicly championed an insane tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory only four years ago. It'd be like if the Dems had nominated a 9/11 Truther for president back in 2004.

Also the bit where Trump released his own birth certificate to prove that he was not the son of an orangutan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just thinking about the Johnson gaffe. Yeah it was dumb, but doesn't really change my voting preference.

1. Hillary Clinton
2. Gary Johnson
3. Egg McMuffin
4. Ed McMullen
5. Donald Trump
6. Harambe
7. Jill Stein

I think this is the sensible and correct order of preference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Just thinking about the Johnson gaffe. Yeah it was dumb, but doesn't really change my voting preference.

1. Hillary Clinton
2. Gary Johnson
3. Egg McMuffin
4. Ed McMullen
5. Donald Trump
6. Harambe
7. Jill Stein

I think this is the sensible and correct order of preference.

Really? You'd put Donald Trump over a dead monkey?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well depends on the dead monkey. Harambe knows what he did

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Harambe would depend on who his running mate is, since effectively that's who you'd be voting for.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
So Pence compares Trump favorably to Reagan today, and then Gulliani actually mistakenly uses Ronald Reagan to refer to Trump in the Hardball interview today. Has the Trump campaign decided that is the way to turn this around?

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

stone cold posted:

Her message is fine only when she shuts up about sexism! That makes me uncomfortable!!

This is insane - what the hell happened to you all to be so wary of outsiders? I said nothing about shutting up about sexism - I think it's a poor strategy in the case of answering claims that she's a poor speaker (never talked about other cases as some of you extrapolated) and that I think that monologue sends a lovely message.

The public agrees inasmuch as they think she'll win the debates by a healthy margin (53-43 I think) - that she is a bad speaker is a media and right wing talking point and not majority opinion. Even those that don't like her acknowledge that she will win the debate given that she has such high unlikeability numbers. So even the sexists think she can talk - how am I wrong saying that sexism isn't holding her speaking ability back by any real measurement (she's one of the highest paid speakers, she has been in careers that require effective speaking her whole life and thrived, and polling shows a belief in her speaking)? The only answer is Truthiness. Her arguments have pretty much always held sway in the end and the sexist attacks don't land (they exist as I've said, they just don't have much real effect - given the debate polling, even Trump supporters think she'll win). There are sexist and non-sexist reasons for thinking she is a poor speaker - none of them rise above personal opinion given the evidence that she's a fine speaker.

Today in response to the "no smiles" tweet, Hillary behaved pretty closely as to how I said she should about "unlikeable speaking." She basically said it's "interesting" that he would say that and others will probably be looking into it, but she's here to talk about serious issues... going into her ideas on Syria. So she made a slight passing reference, nothing explicit, and moved on to show her knowledge on a topic.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 9, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ImpAtom posted:

The Librarian just gave a very angry "ook?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Video of this is even better; god drat he is such a ferret.

Funny you mentioned furrets.

Rudy has a problem with ferrets.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-jerry-brown-signs-climate-laws-20160908-snap-story.html

This is more state-level policy but pretty huge for the US in general, because if this works then we could see a lot of support for tougher climate initiatives in the future

loving good

Raise my taxes Jerry Brown

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

loving good

Agreed, repeal prop 13

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boxcar posted:

This is insane - what the hell happened to you all to be so wary of outsiders? I said nothing about shutting up about sexism - I think it's a poor strategy in the case of answering claims that she's a poor speaker (never talked about other cases as some of you extrapolated) and that I think that monologue sends a lovely message.

The public agrees inasmuch as they think she'll win the debates by a healthy margin (53-43 I think) - that she is a bad speaker is a media and right wing talking point and not majority opinion. Even those that don't like her acknowledge that she will win the debate given that she has such high unlikeability numbers. So even the sexists think she can talk - how am I wrong saying that sexism isn't holding her speaking ability back by any real measurement (she's one of the highest paid speakers, she has been in careers that require effective speaking her whole life and thrived and polling shows a belief in her speaking)? The only answer is Truthiness. Her arguments have pretty much always held sway in the end and the sexist attacks don't land (they exist as I've said, they just don't have much real effect - given the debate polling, even Trump supporters think she'll win).

Today in response to the "no smiles" tweet, Hillary behaved pretty closely as to how I said she should about "unlikeable speaking." She basically said it's "interesting" that he would say that and others will probably be looking into it, but she's here to talk about serious issues... going into her ideas on Syria. So she made a slight passing reference, nothing explicit, and moved on to show her knowledge on a topic.

I don't know why you keep saying outsiders like most of us know or even care who all posts in this thread. Everyone's responding to you with mocking bafflement because what you're saying is weird and you're using a lot of words while failing to make it less weird or confusing.

I'm assuming you're not always insane but this and positioning yourself as an "outsider" are strange. Stop being so strange and laugh at the insane poo poo that's happening with us

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/07/the-origin-of-julian-assange-and-wikileaks-war-on-hillary-clinton.html

What are the chances Assange actually has some damaging material he's just sitting on until October?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/07/the-origin-of-julian-assange-and-wikileaks-war-on-hillary-clinton.html

What are the chances Assange actually has some damaging material he's just sitting on until October?

Nonexistent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I hope he waits until significantly into the early voting due to an outdated model of US voter trends

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What are the odds of the 49ers winning 9 games this year? poo poo make that 7.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Assange is trying to do whatever he can right now because he knows he's hosed once Correa isn't protecting his rear end next year so he's latched his cart to Putin who really loving hates Hillary.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't know why you keep saying outsiders like most of us know or even care who all posts in this thread. Everyone's responding to you with mocking bafflement because what you're saying is weird and you're using a lot of words while failing to make it less weird or confusing.

I'm assuming you're not always insane but this and positioning yourself as an "outsider" are strange. Stop being so strange and laugh at the insane poo poo that's happening with us

Some people were wondering who the hell I was, whatever. Huff...

Guess crazies like me gotta go for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein - so guess I'll go sit with those kids even if they eat their own boogers for diametrically opposed political reasons. Still think I'm right about Hillary being a poor speaker is a right wing creation and not reality, but us third party voters get to cling to things unreasonably.

How hosed is the coverage of Stein in that the headline/tease mention her getting arrested/cited, but only those paying attention will hear the reasons? Some of the worst coverage in a day of poo poo journalism. She's got no chance anyway.

Wonder if the Aleppo gaffe will send some Libertarian voters back to Trump since they've ceded the "candidate knows stuff" ground?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-jerry-brown-signs-climate-laws-20160908-snap-story.html

This is more state-level policy but pretty huge for the US in general, because if this works then we could see a lot of support for tougher climate initiatives in the future

Vox recently had a breakdown of what this might require, including:

• Requiring an average car fleet efficiency of 54MPG by 2050
  • Requiring 25% of all cars in California be electric by 2030 (and 60% by 2050)
  • Requiring 20% of all petroleum in California be biofuel by 2020 (of which 40% is grown in-state) and 33% by 2030
  • Requiring 50% of all residential units to be retrofit to net zero energy by 2030 and 100% of all new residential units to be net zero energy by 2020
  • Requiring 51% of all electricity to be renewable by 2030
  • Cancelling the closure of Diablo Canyon and reopening (or replacing) San Onofre with another nuclear plant
  • Building 6.8GW of electricity storage into the grid by 2030 (the largest pumped storage facility today is only 3GW)
  • Building 2.5GW of CCS plants by 2050
  • Reducing per capita water consumption by 40%
  • Phasing out HFCs as refrigerants and propellants (e.g. in inhalers) by 2050, starting with a 30% reduction by 2020
  • Capturing 10% of methane from landfills and diverting 100% of waste from landfills by 2035
  • Beginning the conversion of pastureland back to forests (by an unknown amount) to increase sequestration of greenhouse gases
  • Finishing the build-out of High-Speed Rail by 2022 (lol) and somehow doubling the projected growth of ridership to 54m riders per year by 2030

This is not going to be an easy task, and will probably make California an even more expensive place to live (as if it wasn't already). Brown's demand that developers be made effectively immune to resident opposition will probably be necessary in urban areas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

greatn posted:

Well depends on the dead monkey. Harambe knows what he did
Yeah, he died for our sins, you rear end in a top hat. :harambe:

Harambe is constitutionally ineligible anyway. However, a silverback over 35 could probably run. Whether or not this would be accepted by the courts depends entirely on if the gorilla was a Republican or not.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Most "resident opposition" is rent seekers who want to protect their racket. gently caress them.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Lemming posted:

Most "resident opposition" is rent seekers who want to protect their racket. gently caress them.

Anti-gentrification groups are resident opposition and developers come in many flavors of evil and idiocy (see 2016 presidential race). Getting things built in Cali requires deep pockets & those pockets usually like being filled as quickly as possible, consequences be damned. Strong residents is why San Francisco still looks like San Francisco and LA looks like poo poo. If keeping that "feel" of SF is worth it is debatable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There is nowhere to live. This drives up rent. If more places to live were built, it wouldn't be so expensive to live in those areas, and poorer people wouldn't be forced out. The people who are against building more affordable housing are rent seekers and deserve the guillotine.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Lemming posted:

There is nowhere to live. This drives up rent. If more places to live were built, it wouldn't be so expensive to live in those areas, and poorer people wouldn't be forced out. The people who are against building more affordable housing are rent seekers and deserve the guillotine.

Depends where in California you are - in some areas, developers come in and build housing that causes supply to rise and maybe prices to lower (San Francisco keeps having prices go up even though they are building housing because the amount of people who want to live there increases and demand can't meet it -- also, the housing is built for the wealthy by developers who would rather sell fewer, bigger apartments for greater profit). In some areas, developers come into poorer areas and build housing/retail that leads to renters raising the prices on long term residents (classic gentrification, also going on in SF, there is more overall housing created by destroying the housing for the poor). Developers are forced to build low/middle income housing in these areas, so don't think giving them free hand would be all that great. They are necessary, but when you think of a developer, you aren't that off if you imagine Trump.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You reason like a five year old. If rent keeps increasing the only way to mitigate it at all without building new places for people to live is to firebomb the neighborhood. Nobody is suggesting there shouldn't be any oversight or regulation on developers. The government should keep them in line. What shouldn't happen is bullshit ordinances that stop all new development which only benefits people who already own property, and it allows them to draw rent.

"Free hand" gently caress off. The alternative to "build literally 0 new places to live" is not "let the dystopian mega corps grind the bones of the poor to build new skyscrapers."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

um actually I think you will find that Harambe is an ape

but still a more qualified and serious candidate than Jill Stein, Donald Trump, and probably Gary Johnson

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Vox recently had a breakdown of what this might require, including:

• Requiring an average car fleet efficiency of 54MPG by 2050
  • Requiring 25% of all cars in California be electric by 2030 (and 60% by 2050)
  • Requiring 20% of all petroleum in California be biofuel by 2020 (of which 40% is grown in-state) and 33% by 2030
  • Requiring 50% of all residential units to be retrofit to net zero energy by 2030 and 100% of all new residential units to be net zero energy by 2020
  • Requiring 51% of all electricity to be renewable by 2030
  • Cancelling the closure of Diablo Canyon and reopening (or replacing) San Onofre with another nuclear plant
  • Building 6.8GW of electricity storage into the grid by 2030 (the largest pumped storage facility today is only 3GW)
  • Building 2.5GW of CCS plants by 2050
  • Reducing per capita water consumption by 40%
  • Phasing out HFCs as refrigerants and propellants (e.g. in inhalers) by 2050, starting with a 30% reduction by 2020
  • Capturing 10% of methane from landfills and diverting 100% of waste from landfills by 2035
  • Beginning the conversion of pastureland back to forests (by an unknown amount) to increase sequestration of greenhouse gases
  • Finishing the build-out of High-Speed Rail by 2022 (lol) and somehow doubling the projected growth of ridership to 54m riders per year by 2030

This is not going to be an easy task, and will probably make California an even more expensive place to live (as if it wasn't already). Brown's demand that developers be made effectively immune to resident opposition will probably be necessary in urban areas.

This sounds absolutely horrible.

It's going to cause a lot of people to leave California and make things a lot more expensive for the lower and middle classes in the state.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Lemming posted:

You reason like a five year old. If rent keeps increasing the only way to mitigate it at all without building new places for people to live is to firebomb the neighborhood. Nobody is suggesting there shouldn't be any oversight or regulation on developers. The government should keep them in line. What shouldn't happen is bullshit ordinances that stop all new development which only benefits people who already own property, and it allows them to draw rent.

"Free hand" gently caress off. The alternative to "build literally 0 new places to live" is not "let the dystopian mega corps grind the bones of the poor to build new skyscrapers."

You don't get it - resident opposition and government opposition is what makes sure developers build this affordable housing. In San Francisco, no developer would build affordable housing, because they can sell to the rich and make more money. God knows how long it would take to satiate that market - so far every increase in SF housing stock for awhile has led to no decrease in price (last dip was 1998 I believe). So for you to want to give the developers free rein against resident opposition won't make housing cheaper - it will allow them to build places for the rich. Developers care about doing the least work, for the most money and in the current market, they can sell whatever housing they can develop in the small geographic area of SF to the well off. They won't build cheap housing unless things like resident opposition force their hand. Cheap housing is a thing of the past in SF until there's a major correction (meaning people all over will probably have less money) - it's just too small an area with too much demand.

So the answer isn't to do nothing, it's to require affordable housing to be built with each developer project (developers fight having to do that tooth and nail). There's not many other alternatives for SF. For other areas where the market isn't so hot, an increase in housing can definitely lower prices.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I have professional seismologist friends who confirm the North Korea earthquake was a nuke test which probably surprises no one.

(it produced extremely strong P-waves for an earthquake of its magnitude)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boxcar posted:

I said multiple times that people attacked her with sexist attacks.

I said that arguing that she is a victim of sexism in regards to public speaking is a losing strategy and demeaning to her ability. Playing the victim card in a field where you are the top even if you have been attacked for it is a non-starter with most people.

The fact that you think this is a thing unmasks you as the worst kind of rear end in a top hat

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

neoliberal posted:

This sounds absolutely horrible.

It's going to cause a lot of people to leave California and make things a lot more expensive for the lower and middle classes in the state.

It actually sounds pretty cool, good and necessary to me, as long as they manage the impact on the poorest citizens.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lemming posted:

loving good

Why am I just now learning California's governor is Jerry Brown, like the Dead Kennedy's song? :psyduck:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bad Moon posted:

Why am I just now learning California's governor is Jerry Brown, like the Dead Kennedy's song? :psyduck:

Because you just woke up from a 10 year coma?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Gort posted:

It actually sounds pretty cool, good and necessary to me, as long as they manage the impact on the poorest citizens.

You, I and everyone in this thread knows that is never going to loving happen.

Look how utterly insane these guys are getting

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kim Jong Un flexin

Any bets on Trump calling Kim a "strong leader" following his Putin fellating?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

William F Cuckley posted:

I'm super stoked for that young senator from Illinois to do cool things.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

*From* The Dead Kennedys song.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

William F Cuckley posted:

More like 30 years

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

I don't think enough of you have been horrified by this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Boxcar posted:

You don't get it - resident opposition and government opposition is what makes sure developers build this affordable housing. In San Francisco, no developer would build affordable housing, because they can sell to the rich and make more money. God knows how long it would take to satiate that market - so far every increase in SF housing stock for awhile has led to no decrease in price (last dip was 1998 I believe). So for you to want to give the developers free rein against resident opposition won't make housing cheaper - it will allow them to build places for the rich. Developers care about doing the least work, for the most money and in the current market, they can sell whatever housing they can develop in the small geographic area of SF to the well off. They won't build cheap housing unless things like resident opposition force their hand. Cheap housing is a thing of the past in SF until there's a major correction (meaning people all over will probably have less money) - it's just too small an area with too much demand.

So the answer isn't to do nothing, it's to require affordable housing to be built with each developer project (developers fight having to do that tooth and nail). There's not many other alternatives for SF. For other areas where the market isn't so hot, an increase in housing can definitely lower prices.

No, "resident opposition" is largely well off busy bodies who have enough time and money to worm their way into local government and stop anything at all from getting built. There should absolutely be provisions for affordable housing with all new developments, but the point is that those developments are all getting blocked because they hurt the value of currently existing property. My entire point from the start is those specific people should take a long walk off a short pier. You're just trying to find a moral high ground on some random issue to distract from the other very dumb things you've said in this thread regarding how you think because Hillary is rich she doesn't really face sexism.

• Locked thread