Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

just ray posted:

whats dune :confused:

it's like beetlejuice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

just ray posted:

whats dune :confused:

A terrain feature made up by loose granular sediment in arid climatic zones.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

steinrokkan posted:

Coloring individual frames gave us the "awesome" personal shield effects, so it's probably good they didn't try to overuse postproduction and decided to stick with practical effects whenever possible.

uh yeah but the spice eye effect didn't fuckin work either

practical effects done poorly look just as bad as post production effects

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I know you came asking about the Dune movie, but I REALLY REALLY recommend you watch the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary instead. While Lynch's Dune is pretty good (make sure you watch the uncut version if you do), once I saw the documentary, I just wish Jodorowsky had gotten the gig. I've seen his movie the Holy Mountain before, and let me tell you, that's also a movie everyone should watch if they respect themselves as a human being.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just fyi you don't need to read the books to "get" the film, I read the book afterwards.

Also do not watch the uncut version of Lynch's Dune, it's basically just the original but with more crayon sketches and worse pacing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why do people always cream their pants about the Jodorowsky Dune? What other great movies has he made that prove he could have made as great Dune adaptation m

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune Messiah is good.

Jodorowsky's dune looks like terrible stupid poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mirthless posted:

I knew absolutely nothing about Dune when I went into it and I had no problem getting through the whole thing, even as a teenager :shrug: You would have had to have never even so much as glanced at a pulp novel (any pulp novel) to not be able to follow the story.
Movie is good.

I'm a huge Dune fan. Totally blew my poo poo open when I was 14 and it's still blown. But the weird reverence people have for it is misplaced. Frank Herbert could've started a religion like L. Ron Hubbard if he wanted to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wikkheiser posted:

Movie is good.

I'm a huge Dune fan. Totally blew my poo poo open when I was 14 and it's still blown. But the weird reverence people have for it is misplaced. Frank Herbert could've started a religion like L. Ron Hubbard if he wanted to.

pay $100 a month to become an immortal worm-man hybrid

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Why do people always cream their pants about the Jodorowsky Dune? What other great movies has he made that prove he could have made as great Dune adaptation m
People cream their pants because it was never made, so they can imagine whatever they want. It's the Star Citizen of movies.

Cool art though. There's a page that's posting a bunch of the images I haven't seen before here:

https://plus.google.com/u/1/collection/YfsJU

:nws: http://imgur.com/qQjSoZB

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

I want a Jackie Chan version of Dune. There is juuuuust enough knife-fighting in it to perfectly bridge that stylistic gap and be believable as both a Jackie Chan movie and a Dune movie.

The end scene could swell into one huge brawl with Shaddam handing out surrogate knives to half the Landsraad.

Imagine the iconic set pieces like worm-mounting, anti-grav suits and thigh pads full of urine and feces to be mined for slapstick comedy.
Funny enough that's why they picked the Weirding Modules. In the early 1980s to stick true to the book would make the action look like low-budget Kung Fu cinema.

This is a great idea, though. The Matrix came out 17 years ago and showed it can be done good. Let's do it.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

Testikles posted:

If you've read the book watch it. If you haven't it'll be confusing.

Actually saw the movie before reading the book and loved it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jodorowski's Dune concepts look like garbage.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you liked Dune you'll love this movie

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

ive never seen it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

i'm actually rewatching this movie due to the super cool link to the fan cut linked above:

it's maybe slightly more comprehensible. but it is reminding me about how unbelievably evocative the movie is visually. there is no movie villain more thoroughly repulsive as baron harkonnen, and even though it's so over-the-top it just works completely. the overacting and scenery chewing and bizarre sets and costumes and makeup just ooze sincerity and imagination in every frame.

watch the first scene that introduces the baron (it's around 45 minutes in). if everyone involved wasn't 100% at the top of their game it would have been shlocky and campy and a complete failure, but it just works completely.

The first scene on Giedi Prime is phenomenal and I must have watched it about a thousand times in high school. I will be forever grateful to Lynch's Dune for becoming my nerd obsession and later on leading me to good stuff, like Eraserhead, as opposed to bad stuff, like Dr Who audio dramas or the Star Wars EU.

Ken McMillan doing all the acting posted:

I will have Arrakis back for my SELF! HE WHO CONTROLS THE SPICE CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE and what Piter didn't tell you, is that we have control of someone who is very close VERY CLOSE to... Duke Leto. This...person, this TRAIYYYYTAH, will be worth to us more than TEN LEGIONS OF SARDAUKAR!

Sting, not acting because Ken McMillan is already doing it all posted:

And who--is this...traitor.

Ken McMillan, national treasure posted:

Oh I won't tell you who the traitor is or when we'll attack HOWEVER! The Duke will die before THESE EYES and he'll know, HE'LL KNOW!! that it is I, Baron, VLADIMIR HARKONNEN, WHO ENCOMPASSES HIS DOOM!!!!! *flies into the air like Peter Pan while screaming incoherently, covers self in oil, rapes and murders florist*

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also I love Jack Nance looking like he'd rather be anywhere else. He has a bitch wife and a mutated baby he has to go back home to, work is his only break from that poo poo and now his boss is cackling and smearing blood all over the walls? He doesn't need that bullshit.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

notZaar posted:

/
a person who has never seen a single Jodorowsky movie

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SnowblindFatal posted:

/
a person who has never seen a single Jodorowsky movie

Yeah so what movie has he made that proves he can do an exciting sci-fi epic? I'll watch it, just give me a name.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Holy Mountain proves that he can do pretty much any kind of movie.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Except maybe lovely ones, though I haven't seen his early work so idk.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
OK but if this turns out to be a faggy euro snoozer I'm gonna be pissed.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UI3QpeACeA

here's a good movie scene from a good movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RyokoTK posted:

yeah dog i get that. but when the words are written out it's easier to parse. it's still a long rear end movie filled with jilted and terrible dialogue. books are a different medium from film and when you're adapting a book it's ok to change the dialogue so it sounds more pleasing to the ear.

Even as someone that LOVES the book and movie this is totally true. The book is wordy but works and is consistent, the whispering in the movie especially is crazy because it has a great cast that could have just emoted. Plus half the whispering is them thinking stuff we just saw or someone explained, it's silly.

David Lynch is.a very talented person, if you do a search for "Dune without words" someone removed all the dialogue from the opening scene, and it's amazing because you still get a perfect idea of everyone's place in the world, etc. JUST from the sound effects and visuals.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 9, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jodorowsky makes cool art-house stuff and the holy mountain is crazy cool and that's all I've actually watched of his while on a shroom trip no less but in the documentary Jodorowsky's dune, where we see these concepts, the movie bible, and everything. the concept art is mind blowing, but it's not dune. the plot is not dune. he wanted to take a science fiction book that's good for very specific settings themes and basically poo poo on them to make what would have certainly been a completely loving weird but forgettable piece of poo poo and the only good that came from it is the fact that the movie bible they made has so many good artistic concepts that got stolen and worked into now classic movies, but the movie as presented would have been total poo poo, and nobody should ever wish it was actually made. I sympathize for Jodorowsky and all but Lynch actually realized a vision of Dune that was real, and then got dicked over by some pretty notoriously lovely people - the Dino De Laurentiis and his daughter. That the movie is bad is their fault, I fully 100% believe this.

Jodorowsky's would have just been a forgotten train-wreck, but Lynch's dune for all its very serious problems, the theatrical cut is a perfectly rendered, but incomplete slice of Dune. The movie enhances the book. The book enhances the movie. The movie doesn't work without a working knowledge of the book, but once you have that it becomes really good. gently caress Jodorowsky for being a smug poo poo about Lynch's version too. Making El Topo and The Holy Mountain doesn't give you the right to poo poo on your objective betters and peddle your insane acid-haze induced art book while being so insane you think you can make your lovely balls to the wall nuts acid trip movie that Lucas and his people were years away from even coming close to technically approximating in special effects ambition. Jodorowsky is cool despite by roastin right now but seriously gently caress his attitude about dune and gently caress his plans for it.
I have strong opinions on this and I am angry for some reason! I dare anyone to argue with me i will have a meltdown so loving epic i will goddamn make you question why you read this website why you want to live why the universe permitted this to happen motherfucker i dare you!!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Good movie. Got to see it when I was little because my dad was into cool poo poo.

Heart plug scene stayed with me for a long time.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I am the Alpha and Omega of Gay~!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

Jodorowsky makes cool art-house stuff and the holy mountain is crazy cool and that's all I've actually watched of his while on a shroom trip no less but in the documentary Jodorowsky's dune, where we see these concepts, the movie bible, and everything. the concept art is mind blowing, but it's not dune. the plot is not dune. he wanted to take a science fiction book that's good for very specific settings themes and basically poo poo on them to make what would have certainly been a completely loving weird but forgettable piece of poo poo and the only good that came from it is the fact that the movie bible they made has so many good artistic concepts that got stolen and worked into now classic movies, but the movie as presented would have been total poo poo, and nobody should ever wish it was actually made. I sympathize for Jodorowsky and all but Lynch actually realized a vision of Dune that was real, and then got dicked over by some pretty notoriously lovely people - the Dino De Laurentiis and his daughter. That the movie is bad is their fault, I fully 100% believe this.

Jodorowsky's would have just been a forgotten train-wreck, but Lynch's dune for all its very serious problems, the theatrical cut is a perfectly rendered, but incomplete slice of Dune. The movie enhances the book. The book enhances the movie. The movie doesn't work without a working knowledge of the book, but once you have that it becomes really good. gently caress Jodorowsky for being a smug poo poo about Lynch's version too. Making El Topo and The Holy Mountain doesn't give you the right to poo poo on your objective betters and peddle your insane acid-haze induced art book while being so insane you think you can make your lovely balls to the wall nuts acid trip movie that Lucas and his people were years away from even coming close to technically approximating in special effects ambition. Jodorowsky is cool despite by roastin right now but seriously gently caress his attitude about dune and gently caress his plans for it.
I have strong opinions on this and I am angry for some reason! I dare anyone to argue with me i will have a meltdown so loving epic i will goddamn make you question why you read this website why you want to live why the universe permitted this to happen motherfucker i dare you!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrd-VWiBZM

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
the one time i watched holy mountain i was really drunk but it seemed dumb and boring.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

hemophilia posted:

Dune Messiah is good.
Scytale is loving cool.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I watched the David Lynch Dune movie without knowing anything about Dune at all and thought it was a loving cool movie. Also the 3 hour Alan Smithee version is awful, its just so bad...

phasmid posted:

Scytale is loving cool.

Scytale was a chump. Paul sees through his entire plot right from the start and merks him with a knife when he's got no eyes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

thatfatkid posted:

I watched the David Lynch Dune movie without knowing anything about Dune at all and thought it was a loving cool movie. Also the 3 hour Alan Smithee version is awful, its just so bad...

Scytale was a chump. Paul sees through his entire plot right from the start and merks him with a knife when he's got no eyes.

He didn't see the part of the plot where they offer to bring his wife back from the dead. That's a game changer.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it's my favorite movie containing pugs, which put it in the running for best movie ever

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

shadow puppet of a posted:

But there are boobs.

I must have only seen this on the Sci fi chanel because i don't remember no boobs.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

notZaar posted:

El Topo and Holy Mountain are def cool movies and it's fun how jodorowsky was like "yes! i am into buddhism, and also hinduism, catholics are cool also, check out this native american thingy I got at the gift shop at the continental divide in new mexico! let's go down to the new age tarot card fortune teller's crystal store and buy a bunch of neat statues and tapestries and make a movie out of them!" like you can tell he's genuinely just really excited about every religious concept he stumbles across and he haphazardly throws everything together along with imagery specifically chosen "because fucken it looks cool!"

lynch has a very specific reason for everything that happens in his poo poo, it's the way he first imagined it while writing the story, it's personal and intentional and it doesn't matter how anyone else interprets it, it means something to lynch and he enjoys the knowledge that it'll mean something different to everyone else who sees it

jodorowsky is all "hahaha hosed up right?"

but the weird shocking "how effed up can I make this poo poo?" stuff is applied to personal stories he really wants to tell, that's why I enjoy his stuff beyond replying "hahaha yes dude, hosed up" to ol' alejandro.

With lynch, it's fun to watch his stuff and try to decipher what he was thinking, comparing your own reaction to the material to lynch's work as a whole and seeing what it tells you about the themes of the story, so you walk away with a your own very personal interpretation of an already incredibly personal work

with jodorowsky it's fun to watch his stuff and go "drat that's fuckin gnarly, also hmm his thoughts on the concept of a christ are interesting and a nice excuse for this intentionally insane imagery"

both are very fun things to do, and are very cool

Also jodorowsky did a lil movie called Santa Sangre that was basically the most amazing remake of Psycho you could ever imagine, it's extremely good and should be seen by you all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gatekeeper posted:

El Topo and Holy Mountain are def cool movies and it's fun how jodorowsky was like "yes! i am into buddhism, and also hinduism, catholics are cool also, check out this native american thingy I got at the gift shop at the continental divide in new mexico! let's go down to the new age tarot card fortune teller's crystal store and buy a bunch of neat statues and tapestries and make a movie out of them!" like you can tell he's genuinely just really excited about every religious concept he stumbles across and he haphazardly throws everything together along with imagery specifically chosen "because fucken it looks cool!"

lynch has a very specific reason for everything that happens in his poo poo, it's the way he first imagined it while writing the story, it's personal and intentional and it doesn't matter how anyone else interprets it, it means something to lynch and he enjoys the knowledge that it'll mean something different to everyone else who sees it

jodorowsky is all "hahaha hosed up right?"

but the weird shocking "how effed up can I make this poo poo?" stuff is applied to personal stories he really wants to tell, that's why I enjoy his stuff beyond replying "hahaha yes dude, hosed up" to ol' alejandro.

With lynch, it's fun to watch his stuff and try to decipher what he was thinking, comparing your own reaction to the material to lynch's work as a whole and seeing what it tells you about the themes of the story, so you walk away with a your own very personal interpretation of an already incredibly personal work

with jodorowsky it's fun to watch his stuff and go "drat that's fuckin gnarly, also hmm his thoughts on the concept of a christ are interesting and a nice excuse for this intentionally insane imagery"

both are very fun things to do, and are very cool

Also jodorowsky did a lil movie called Santa Sangre that was basically the most amazing remake of Psycho you could ever imagine, it's extremely good and should be seen by you all

Jodos sci fi comic books (Metabarons/Technopriests/especially Incal) are really good which is I think what gives some people the idea that a Jodo Dune would have been the best poo poo ever

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
This was the first film I ever went to the cinema on my own to see. I recall a disruptive youth kicking the back of my seat. I have come to appreciate the film since then.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

my grandmother was a big Dune fan and at some point she left her tape of the movie at our house after coming to stay one summer. I think I was like 7 the first time I watched it and I was immediately super into it. even though now I'm aware that it's a lovely adaptation and it has some weird AIDS stuff going on and Lynch completely disowned it I am still very attached to it and I think it is a legitimately good film.

I read the book for the first time a year ago and it was good but I still prefer the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLw94o82baU

• Locked thread