Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am Tabata's bff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Terper posted:

I feel there is a step between trusting someone's words - even if they are trying to sell you a product - and considering someone their bff.

They've shown WAY more of FFXV than Murray ever did of NMS before release, of course. When it comes to framerate though they can very easily work around that for the purpose of showing footage by either sample selection or choice of hardware to record from. They've shown us the "Development PC" version quite a few times probably because the performance on the PS4 wasn't up to par, I'm sure.

But with this in mind, and now the consideration that a PS4Pro version likely exists, you're saying it doesn't make you wonder or skeptical at all about the original PS4's performance? Shouldn't something like that matter to the many who really don't want to shell out another $400, especially if it's only for one game? This is why your words about trusting Tabata were funny to me. I think it's fine to trust him about the content that's in the game and their efforts to design the systems in such a way that are fun to play. Right now it remains to be seen how development teams treat the Pro version of their games over the PS4 Base version (not counting already-released and "OG" PS4-optimized games), and yes I'm well aware of the "restrictions and policies" that were leaked regarding the different versions.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 8, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I played it there were some drops but even those seemed less frequent than they used to be, certainly. I have hope.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i don't understand the frame rate debate. it have never said to myself man this game is slow or whatever?? When fallout 4 came out ppl posted frame rate comparisons between xbone ps4 and pc and I couldn't even tell a difference

You're all worked up over nothing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

My faulty brain can't discern this distinction, so no one's can!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

i don't understand the frame rate debate. it have never said to myself man this game is slow or whatever?? When fallout 4 came out ppl posted frame rate comparisons between xbone ps4 and pc and I couldn't even tell a difference

the only thing that is slow

is you :twisted:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I have blind faith that FF15 will be pretty solid at 30fps for the vast majority of gameplay.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

fridge corn posted:

Framerate is only a real issue for most people when it's inconsistent. Some people find it easier than others to discern 60 from 30, but a lot just can't or don't care. It's pretty much a universal opinion that fluctuations from 60 down to 15 are not good at all though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

i said come in! is the only one saying that and he's an idiot, please do not consider him representative of any one group (besides idiots).

That would be most of this forum then???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fridge corn posted:

It's much easier to tell the difference when playing. 60 just feels smother. That said, as long as the framerate is stable anything 30+ is fine for me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tae posted:

Tabata has also been as transparent as possible about the game outside of taping daily work hours.

You can infer his daily work hours by the size of the bags under his eyes. He's looked pretty rough the last couple times he's been on TV

Terper posted:

I feel there is a step between trusting someone's words - even if they are trying to sell you a product - and considering someone their bff.

Blasphemy!

Lastdancer posted:

They've shown WAY more of FFXV than Murray ever did of NMS before release, of course. When it comes to framerate though they can very easily work around that for the purpose of showing footage by either sample selection or choice of hardware to record from. They've shown us the "Development PC" version quite a few times probably because the performance on the PS4 wasn't up to par, I'm sure.

But with this in mind, and now the consideration that a PS4Pro version likely exists, you're saying it doesn't make you wonder or skeptical at all about the original PS4's performance? Shouldn't something like that matter to the many who really don't want to shell out another $400, especially if it's only for one game? This is why your words about trusting Tabata were funny to me. I think it's fine to trust him about the content that's in the game and their efforts to design the systems in such a way that are fun to play. Right now it remains to be seen how development teams treat the Pro version of their games over the PS4 Base version (not counting already-released and "OG" PS4-optimized games), and yes I'm well aware of the "restrictions and policies" that were leaked regarding the different versions.

Literally nobody will force you to buy a pro, if you are going to get bent out of shape about the system with superior hardware providing superior graphic performance maybe electronics aren't for you

RatHat posted:

It's much easier to tell the difference when playing. 60 just feels smother. That said, as long as the framerate is stable anything 30+ is fine for me.

I have had suboptimal PCs and video game systems for so long that playing at 60fps feels weird to me, in the same way that video displayed at more than the 24fps that has been embedded in pre-digital film tech for ages looks like weird handicam footage to many people because they're used to film.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Guys, what is the most important part of Final Fantasy XV? Whatever you're thinking of, it's actually this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzHkv42awk

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
final fantasy XVI will have hair based combat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RottenK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SopEVWVkGkg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Super No Vacancy posted:

My faulty brain can't discern this distinction, so no one's can!

Arena mode in Guardian Heroes was only playable because the framerate would drop from 60 to 15 during big spells, thus allowing you to see what the hell was going on.

As it was a part of the only game on this earth that actually matters I deem unstable framerates to be natural and good.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

so if i just buy the ps4 expansion pak RAM extender will i be able to play the superior version of final fantasy? or do i have to buy a whole new console?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a new sku

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I hear it is all just settings by the developer. If you get a Gameshark or action replay you can unlock the better graphics on the original PS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We know for a fact that FFXV has a PS4Pro version, but we don't know what that entails. It can have one to three of the following: 4K, 1080p/60fps, or better graphics. The regular version is probably going to run like shitballs and have really bad load times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't care just tell me when the PS4 gets a tiny screen I can attach to the top so I can play my PS4 on the go.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Phantasium posted:

I don't care just tell me when the PS4 gets a tiny screen I can attach to the top so I can play my PS4 on the go.

This is called the Vita, and remote play is the best thing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said come in! posted:

We know for a fact that FFXV has a PS4Pro version, but we don't know what that entails. It can have one to three of the following: 4K, 1080p/60fps, or better graphics. The regular version is probably going to run like shitballs and have really bad load times.

I for one greatly enjoy reading completely baseless bullshit

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is called the Vita, and remote play is the best thing

Let me have my old man jokes.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

(And that's what I get for having too many threads open.)

I already bought a PS4 to play FFXV on; I'm not going to buy another one.

Nothing I've seen indicates that I'll have any issues with the PS4 version, so I'm not going to worry about it.

For the first time since Civilization III, I have scheduled time off from work to play a video game at launch.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I was kind of leaning away from becoming an early adopter of the Pro, despite owning a 4k TV, when I heard about the lack of a UHD blu-ray drive. FFXV compatibility has actually re-sold me on it.

atholbrose posted:

For the first time since Civilization III, I have scheduled time off from work to play a video game at launch.
Which reminds me, I need to schedule that in too.

EDIT: Can't wait to go camping with my boys in the highest of definitions.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Literally nobody will force you to buy a pro, if you are going to get bent out of shape about the system with superior hardware providing superior graphic performance maybe electronics aren't for you

Actually read the post next time

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 10, 2016

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Actually read the post next time

I read the part where you implied that the PS4 Pro having better performance than the current PS4 would somehow force you to shell out $400 and pointed out that this is a logical fallacy. :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I played didn't run great but it wasn't godawful by any means.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I read the part where you implied that the PS4 Pro having better performance than the current PS4 would somehow force you to shell out $400 and pointed out that this is a logical fallacy. :shrug:

That's not how I meant it. I meant for those who want to stick with their original PS4 and play this game, there is a real possibility here that the performance of the retail version could be below the target the development team estimated. And yeah that sucks. Buy the pro or don't, whatever. I'd like to get a pro if I can but I don't know, there's a part of me that wishes they could just wring more "magic optimization sauce" out of what they have already. And maybe they will! But I don't think I have the faith for that anymore.

I'll admit that I'm being pretty "doom and gloom" about this because this is triggering my memories of trying to play some game on an ipod touch that ran like complete rear end because it was made for a newer model and I didn't know it at the time.

eh I'm sorry I annoyed everyone.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 10, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

There really isn't a point in worrying about whether the game will run like crap or not on the PS4. Square knows that the majority of people playing their game at launch will be on an original PS4 or XB1, so I see no reason to think that they wouldn't make sure it ran a pretty stable framerate with minimal drops. If we get it and it turns out that it runs like poo poo... then consider upgrading to a Pro. I think looking at a demo of the game and thinking that is going to be the end product nearly 1/2 a year later isn't the best measure.

I am really trying to hold out for that FF7 remake edition Pro that I have totally made up in my mind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean they already delayed the game two months to apply the day one patch for the sake of users without internet, in Tabata's own (admittedly paraphrased) words "to deliver to best possible game to everyone", they're not gonna then turn around and screw over what could well be a majority of players.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tabata's heavily hinted that a lot of their decisions are still based on the domestic market, and Japan sure as poo poo ain't buying a ps4 pro if they're struggling to sell ps4's.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
And with FFXV being one of the biggest PS4 titles this year, if it were to run like poo poo on the PS4 but not the PS4Pro then the fallout would be dramatic. That's not a risk Sony would be willing to take and they couldn't afford to pressure Square into optimizing the game for the Pro and not the base version.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I wish this lovely game was coming out on PC.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i just watched kingsglaive the other night and as a movie it sucked but as a mechanism for getting me hyped for FFXV it ruled

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

There really isn't a point in worrying about whether the game will run like crap or not on the PS4. Square knows that the majority of people playing their game at launch will be on an original PS4 or XB1, so I see no reason to think that they wouldn't make sure it ran a pretty stable framerate with minimal drops. If we get it and it turns out that it runs like poo poo... then consider upgrading to a Pro. I think looking at a demo of the game and thinking that is going to be the end product nearly 1/2 a year later isn't the best measure.

I am really trying to hold out for that FF7 remake edition Pro that I have totally made up in my mind.

I want Cloud on my console in addition to Lightning on my cockpillow

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I want Cloud on my console in addition to Lightning on my cockpillow

I didn't know you posted here, Toriyama.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RottenK posted:

I love Bayonetta

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Originally, there would be 17 days left until FFXV!!!!

Now it's 77 days, but still!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wooooooo

• Locked thread