Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
here is the story of the hurricane
the coolest item in this goddamn game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Some pros still go I.e rush but in most cases bf into zeal. Completing bf is only good if u are rushing Essence Reaver or Duskblade. U could go bf>zerkers>i.e if u want to delay zeal item. Completed Zeal item is much better than I.e though. Zeal completed item can give waveclear and better teamfighting but i.e only gives flat dmg.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

skipping to 7:49 is a proclick

Im honestly kinda glad tyler1 got the attention he did because we get glorious moments like this, I just want him to tell people to not troll games

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tyler1 has a very unfortunately shaped head

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Libertine posted:

You can see on both pro builds and in pro games that there is wide disagreement about this even on the champions you mention. You are coming down in favor of Hurricane first, I'm coming down in favor of Zeal-item second in all circumstances.

I think pro teams prop up this Hurricane-rush build with map protection that isn't offered in solo queue and allow them to vacuum up CS and don't expect their ADC to fight before 2 items.

You say that IE/ER are mediocre power spikes but Runaan's rush is not a good power spike either. You listed all of the stats of the components and and that's great, but when you do 1-component into second component>complete item type builds you spend the entire early game with no complete items and if anything goes wrong in that period you probably can't back with enough gold to finish the complete item or have enough combat effectiveness to recover. I strongly dislike that.

No, I actually did the math (although IE is 70 AD and not 65, mea culpa). 15 extra damage/auto is not a fair trade for 40% AS and the Runaan's passive.

IE and ER do not provide any power spikes when complete. IE gives 3650g worth of combat stats (it is a pure stat stick) and ER 3250g (+ some utility that is harder to quantify). Compare to items that actually do, like Ghostblade (+10 armor pen, an active) or Bork (% health passive, active), Shiv (lightning passive) or Runaan's (secondary bolts). Note that BF sword provides 100g more AD than just buying longswords, so the remaining components of IE (including the complete cost) are -50g efficient, and ER is -450g (it only actually becomes gold efficient after completing your Zeal item ... which is exactly why you build the Zeal item first).

The 'wide disagreement' you refer to is false.

On Ashe on Probuilds among ADC mains:
Deft, Imaqtpie, Steelback, Loken, Stitch, Pilot, Fury, Sneaky, Kramer -- Runaan's first
Loken -- IE first
Pray: ER first, but finishes zeal before ER even when he could have finished ER.

On Jinx:
Sneaky, Loken, Stitch, Arrow, Steelback -- Runaan's first
Pray, LOD -- IE first

On Caitlyn:
Sneaky, Doublelift, Loken, Maple, Pilot, Stixxay, LOD, Arrow -- Runaan's first
Fury -- IE first

The only other crit builder in the current meta is Sivir, and people actually do consistently build her ER first -- but unlike the others she doesn't build Runaan's, is less of an autoattacker, and has no particular synergy with any of the Zeal items (and is by far the most mana intensive of those 4 champions).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 8, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
You are cherry picking the games on probuilds. In the last 20 Jinx games where either item was completed, there's 10 games of IE>Hurricane and 10 games of Hurricane>IE.

I'd count the others right now but since I did earlier today I can tell you did the same for those as well.

Like I said, it's totally split.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Libertine posted:

The problem is that Gnar and Yasuo have bullshit overloaded kits that make Frozen Mallet ridiculous, so instead of not making them bullshit, they just nerf Mallet because that's actually way easier to do quickly.

Does GNAR! even really need the extra crowd control from that? He just vomits crowd control nonstop with even the tiniest amount of CDR so an extra slow is like "meh."

I generally build him Cleaver -> Tank, aiming for 30% or 40% CDR and just be a disruptive poo poo bag all game that won't die, ever.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
It makes mini Gnar absurdly difficult to escape since he can combo his AAs with Q over and over to perma slow people, then use Hop/Crunch to pincer the person he is diving. It also absolutely shits on melee lane champions while giving him a bunch of HP. It's a really good offensive + defensive item for him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, it makes him basically an unmatched split pusher. i don't think there's a single champ who can itemize to survive against him and also be useful in any other way, while also probably not even being able to defend his split push

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh poo poo kog'maw is back BABAY!!!!

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/NZK9A5NP-upcoming-kogmaw-changes

:woop:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

holy poo poo thank loving god

welcome back puke dog

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
kinda makes me sad for wacky onhit builds, both present and future

cant they just make it so that he can slide on his belly through the puke trail while attacking, that would be cute

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Is...is this the first time riot just full on went backwards?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
nice

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Kog maw is back baby

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Libertine posted:

You are cherry picking the games on probuilds. In the last 20 Jinx games where either item was completed, there's 10 games of IE>Hurricane and 10 games of Hurricane>IE.

I'd count the others right now but since I did earlier today I can tell you did the same for those as well.

Like I said, it's totally split.

I didn't cherrypick anything. I picked games from actual pro ADCs in major regions and unsurprisingly those substantially favor the superior build.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Why aren't they reverting his ult too? Bring back AP Kog...

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i lost a bot game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

"No plans to revert any other updates"
God dammit Give me old graves back

Zoidomania
Apr 22, 2014

Luna Was Here posted:

"No plans to revert any other updates"
God dammit Give me old graves back

My man. Why did they change him again? I have the sneaking the suspicion that it was something like "because we feel like it".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

Why aren't they reverting his ult too? Bring back AP Kog...

i think they specifically do not want ap kog coming back, which is a shame, but i loved old adc kog so much i can live with it.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zoidomania posted:

My man. Why did they change him again?
"He and Lucian basically occupied the same design space" is the reason they gave I think.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of the best parts about them reverting kog is that in the post they admit that kog already had a really unique niche and had perfectly fine long term character design. it always bugged me that they said "we need to rework kog so we can tool him to be a real late game carry and to have a unique niche" when he was already the late game carry, and he had the most unique kit of any adc to begin with

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Looke posted:

i lost a bot game

I've lost 11 in 700. I know one of those was a troll throw, the other 10... :negative:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I don't think I've ever played a bot game (as my lovely CSing attests to)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

now when will they give us back old shen

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

one of the best parts about them reverting kog is that in the post they admit that kog already had a really unique niche and had perfectly fine long term character design. it always bugged me that they said "we need to rework kog so we can tool him to be a real late game carry and to have a unique niche" when he was already the late game carry, and he had the most unique kit of any adc to begin with

I'm pretty sure that was just after-the-fact reasoning, and the actual reason was "we want all these ADC's to have new gimmicks"

I really like new graves, old one felt kind of awkward and meh. Honestly the ADC patch is second only to the mage patch for me in terms of making heroes I wasn't interested in really fun (I pretty much never touched Caitlyn, now I marathon her whenever she's free)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

better yet, put him in the game alongside current shen so that both teams can pick him. bring back the two shen glory meta

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Endorph posted:

New Shen is way better, honestly. Shen's old kit was boring af.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

old shen was boring af but new shen is boring af and has that dumb sword

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

It was fun chucking swords at stuff and AP shen was pretty funny. I imagine all the shield amps and ap ratio items would make him even funnier.

New shen's problem for me is that he's just kind of awkward to play, and working with his gimmick doesn't really provide immense value; you just do it because its braindead to hit Q after taunting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

old shen was a boring piece of poo poo split pusher with free poke

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I would take old Shen back because he could much more easily ranged CS in difficult lanes with old Q.

New Shen is exactly the same as old Shen except the added a layer of needless complexity to make him "fun & interactive" :barf:

Nothing more fun than dragging an imaginary TPA thunderstick around the map all game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what a shame, less resourceless free ranged poke in the game

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

old shen was a boring piece of poo poo split pusher with free poke

yeah. also what was really annoying is that he had lots of free sustain. i don't think pure tanks should have in-lane sustain because it removes what's supposed to be the weakness of their class (they are very tanky so you can't burst them down, instead you're meant to wear them down over time). like, what was his weakness? i don't even know

maokai is similarly hitler when he's good for this reason

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
shen tip: instead of aiming for optimal sword placement, land your taunt and then stand on them with sunfire. it's simple, it's good. as long as that's preserved, who cares what riot changes his Q and W to next?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if there has to be tanks toplane id rather it be shen and gnar than maokai and ekko at least. maybe bring sion back, he was cool.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Old Shen could flex support, at least, and that was fun to play/watch. I don't really have an issue with new Shen but I don't think the ghost-sword makes any sense for his LOOOORE or character so it's kind of irritating, also it just doesn't seem to DO all that much.

Like, I haven't seen people do sick outplays via sword positioning, it's not even a good zoning tool. It presents no actual threat on it's own. I think this is kinda due to not being able to throw it forwards into any kind of threatening position, and the enemy team being completely unable to interact with it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the sword possesses threat because its literally percent health damage turned on if you can land it. its actually a huge deal and totally changes whether or not you can fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah but positioning the sword is literally a matter of having the SUMMON SWORD button available or not. It's not like Orianna where there's outplay potential or solid micro.

• Locked thread