Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're looking for truly cordless earbuds, don't. The only ones from a major company that actually work are the Samsung Icon X, and they are not worth the $200 they charge for them. Wait two years.

quoting my own drat self.

don't buy the bragi things or any other earbuds with no wires. don't. they just straight up don't work.

I would expect the ones that apple just came out with today to work, so if you're getting a new iPhone and you have an extra $160, go hog wild. But also, they might not. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
The new wireless EarPods looked pretty nice and then I realised they're 170 pounds.

Pretty funny that they didn't put any effort into redesigning them and just cut off the wires.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume the airpods use Bluetooth and not some special snowflake standard so it will work on my android phone?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Nope, looks like a special snowflake standard.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nope, looks like a special snowflake standard.

yeah, based on what they were saying about beats coming out with special W1-compatible headphones

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
W1 is the new chip but it still talks over the Bluetooth protocol.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lichy posted:

W1 is the new chip but it still talks over the Bluetooth protocol.

Is pairing still handled normally for non apple products?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
It would be, yes.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I can't imagine how those new apple wireless ear buds would work while jogging. It says they have all these motion and touch sensors inside to tell when/when not to play music and when to activate siri. I'm imagining jilting off a curb or something and siri going apeshit. Honestly the weight of the wire seems to keep the headphones in my ears a bit while I work out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The charging case on the AirPods is a genius move.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any wireless earbuds with excellent isolation?

Jaybirds are out, I got a pair that failed a week later and they wouldn't replace them because they were bought on sale from Amazon. gently caress those guys. Also, I wasn't that impressed with the headphones anyway.

I can suck it up and buy some Bose QC35s but I was hoping for earbuds first.

That sucks dude, I got mine from Amazon too and when my failed, they sent me new ones all the way to Australia as soon as took a picture of me cutting the old ones in half.

Edit:

PRADA SLUT posted:

The charging case on the AirPods is a genius move.

It's pretty much the same as the Samsung Icon X and Earin True Wireless.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
The charging case resembles a cigarette packet very much.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

My trusty Koss Porta-Pros bit the dust, and since I'm starting a new job which will require 3 hours travel a day, I think it's time to invest in a new pair.

Budget - £50-100
Source - Phone
Isolation Requirements - It's for public transport, so probably preferred
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear or over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, but clarity is what I'm after
Preferred Music - a mix of things, but probably rock, metal and soundtracks see the most rotation on my playlists

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Budget - $600.
Source - Computer and iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Don't think so.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I really don't know for sure. I would like to hear the sound as it is intended.
Past Headphones - I've used gaming headsets, razer and steelseries. The cables break on me and leave only one ear with sound. I wanted an upgrade for better quality sound and better long use comfort.
Preferred Music - The usual top chart pop songs, modern rock, acoustic covers of songs and very importantly chillstep/ambient music, sometimes with vocals.

I've been looking at the Audioquest Nighthawk. Can I go much wrong there?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have had ATH-M50x for a year and loved it the whole time. Yesterday I got HD-600s and an amp for home listening and now my 50x's sound so much worse :(

now I have to buy a new pair of closed back headphones for when I'm in public

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Phosphia posted:

Budget - $600.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I really don't know for sure. I would like to hear the sound as it is intended.
Past Headphones - I've used gaming headsets, razer and steelseries. The cables break on me and leave only one ear with sound. I wanted an upgrade for better quality sound and better long use comfort.
Preferred Music - The usual top chart pop songs, modern rock, acoustic covers of songs and very importantly chillstep/ambient music, sometimes with vocals.

I would not get that headphone, if only because there are much better options. I would suggest, if you don't intend to go places with it, buying an HE 400S and a dac (if you have a noisy source) and amp to go with it, such as the schiit modi and magni. That's about the best bang for your buck possible. If you don't want to fool around with an amp, the Fidelio x2 is pretty excellent as well. If you want to go more portable, the Oppo pm3 is the best option. For a more aggressive look and sound and indestructible build look at the Vmoda m100.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Phosphia posted:

Budget - $600.

The nighthawk is... interesting. If you're in the market for a high-end dynamic headphone with an outlandish design, it's an option. They certainly don't sound bad, and they're comfortable. They're a reasonable price for what they are, but I would have a hard time buying them due to Audioquest being one of the most visible purveyors of dishonest audiophile horseshit on the planet.

The iPhone requirement is a bit of a hurdle. At that price, it's actually hard to find a really great headphone that can be driven by portable sources. I think most makers of $600 headphones assume you won't be walking around town with them. The Oppo PM-3 is a notable exception.

If I had that budget and no other headphones, I would some Sennheiser HD600's, a Micca Origen to drive them with, and some Audio Technica M40x's to walk around with.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

blue squares posted:

I have had ATH-M50x for a year and loved it the whole time. Yesterday I got HD-600s and an amp for home listening and now my 50x's sound so much worse :(

now I have to buy a new pair of closed back headphones for when I'm in public

good news, the 40x's are infinitely better. or get some msr7's if you want to be fancy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

My trusty Koss Porta-Pros bit the dust, and since I'm starting a new job which will require 3 hours travel a day, I think it's time to invest in a new pair.

Budget - £50-100
Source - Phone
Isolation Requirements - It's for public transport, so probably preferred
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear or over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, but clarity is what I'm after
Preferred Music - a mix of things, but probably rock, metal and soundtracks see the most rotation on my playlists

You can send Koss your broken PortaPros and they'll send you a new pair, fyi. Shipping from the UK might not be worth it though.

I may sound like a broken record, but M40x. If you can't find them or don't like them for some reason, try the Brainwavz HM5, or Sony MDR-V6 / 7506.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

good news, the 40x's are infinitely better. or get some msr7's if you want to be fancy.

I got the PSB M4U 1

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Also voicing a positive opinion for the M40X cans. Fold up great for travel, isolate very well, come with two cables. I'm considering replacing the pads with something a little softer. Does anyone have recommendations?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Edit: removed

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

blue squares posted:

I got the PSB M4U 1

I was going to nab a pair on eBay but pulled out at the last minute because I thought the design was too boxy. Then I got to hear some in person and I've been kicking myself since, they're really good. What do you think of them vs the M50?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I was going to nab a pair on eBay but pulled out at the last minute because I thought the design was too boxy. Then I got to hear some in person and I've been kicking myself since, they're really good. What do you think of them vs the M50?

I'll tell you on Sunday when they arrive.

For my Sennheiser HD600 (and the PSB when it is here), today I got an IFi nano ICAN amp. Compared to my other headphone amp, a crappy little Sound Blaster E1... well, there is no comparison. The IFi is stunning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I still say to anyone considering the m40x, just get the ATH-m70x. It's endgame for walkin-around-headphones. It comes with a bunch of cables, a nice case, it folds well, it's got a smaller profile, and sounds better in every regard. It's not as thumpy in the bass, but in a good way.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The nighthawk is... interesting. If you're in the market for a high-end dynamic headphone with an outlandish design, it's an option. They certainly don't sound bad, and they're comfortable. They're a reasonable price for what they are, but I would have a hard time buying them due to Audioquest being one of the most visible purveyors of dishonest audiophile horseshit on the planet.

The iPhone requirement is a bit of a hurdle. At that price, it's actually hard to find a really great headphone that can be driven by portable sources. I think most makers of $600 headphones assume you won't be walking around town with them. The Oppo PM-3 is a notable exception.

If I had that budget and no other headphones, I would some Sennheiser HD600's, a Micca Origen to drive them with, and some Audio Technica M40x's to walk around with.

I had the chance to test the nighthawk. I'm no expert on sound so I don't know if they are exaggerating when describing its sound quality, but they are definitely incredibly comfortable to wear. I'm basically in love with how they feel and I just want you to tell me I'm not being ripped off. I have no history with companies like Audioquest, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and the like. Do you think the dishonesty you've experienced with Audioquest extends to the nighthawk?

I've looked over some of the other suggestions from absolem and yourself. I don't think I am willing to compromise the comfort of the nighthawk. Would you still recommend a different headset if it had to be just as comfortable?

edit: Oh, and I forgot to ask. Will I need to purchase any extern device to boost the sound quality to what it is intended to produce? And what difference does it make if I use it in a computer or iPhone?

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There are exactly three Audioquest things that are not ripoffs. The Dragonfly, the Beetle and the Nighthawks. I will never own them because literally everything else they sell is snake oil bullshit of the highest order, and I refuse to support that kind of behavior. Seriously, if you have any basic understanding of digital signal flow, read this horseshit sales page right here and tell me you don't want to loving shoot someone.

The nighthawks are absolutely comfy as poo poo, and they sound great if you like bass. They're not neutral in any sense of the word, and way too rolled off in the high end for my taste, but I can't fault them for much else. They don't need an amp, you can plug them into anything. If you like them, you should probably buy them.

I just think you would get more value and enjoyment out of the things I listed. The HD600's are also comfy as poo poo. They're extremely enjoyable to listen to while also being very accurate, neutral and unhyped. Having a good dac/amp opens you up to a whole bunch more interesting headphones if you want to explore, and having a second pair that's durable and inexpensive enough to walk around town with just makes good sense.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If anyone's looking for a DAC to use with their computer, I'm selling an audioengine D1 over in SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789712

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still say to anyone considering the m40x, just get the ATH-m70x. It's endgame for walkin-around-headphones. It comes with a bunch of cables, a nice case, it folds well, it's got a smaller profile, and sounds better in every regard. It's not as thumpy in the bass, but in a good way.

That's a pretty big price jump, and arguably a lot to spend for walking around cans. They're that much better than the m40x?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

If anyone's looking for a DAC to use with their computer, I'm selling an audioengine D1 over in SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789712

Having used one for many many years, I can chime in that this is an excellent little unit. Would highly recommend if you need something like this.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
In preparation for my new headphone jackless iPhone 7, I found a pair of Beats Solo 2 on clearance so that seemed perfect. They sound ok, but I can't figure out where the Siri button and media controls are, if Im not using the cable. Did they not implement that yet? Will they be on the Solo3? Should I look at another brand entirely?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

prom candy posted:

That's a pretty big price jump, and arguably a lot to spend for walking around cans. They're that much better than the m40x?

I don't think they're at all worth the money. I much prefer the build quality of the M40x. The M70 is rather more plastic-y, has a much, much worse headband adjustment and doesn't fold up like the M40x does. It has nicer stock pads, but that's a $20 fix and certainly doesn't warrant the price increase. I also find it not as neutral as the M40x, and while it's got much better treble extension it's too bright in general.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

prom candy posted:

JESUS $300? ehhhhhhh no. I only paid about $100 for mine, and they were totally worth that.
They don't FEEL as sturdy as the m40x or m50x but they are. They do sound significantly more clear than either of those though. Just don't drop them on concrete or pavement because they'll get scratched, and you'll be sad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

JESUS $300? ehhhhhhh no. I only paid about $100 for mine, and they were totally worth that.

Where did you get M70x's for $100?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Looking for a new pair of head phones I had a cheap logitech laptop headset, it has now almost snapped in half so I'm relegating it to my "backup" pile.

Use case: I'm mostly a gamer with half decent bose speakers so I would mostly be using these for gaming and voice coms, as I use the surround sound of my speakers for videos, movies etc. I'm planning to buy the modmic microphone or maybe the vmoda boom pro still undecided on the microphone.

Budget - $100 up to $200 if really good CAD :canada:
Source - Computer, USB or 3.5mm
Isolation Requirements - No, but as long as it isn't like speakers on my head that people in the next room can hear.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced is a safe bet
Past Headphones - Just a logitech h555 headset and IEM sony somethings from best buy. So I've never really had anything really "good"
Preferred Music - Rock and pop rock; Stuff with guitars, bass and drums is the common theme

Ideally looking at just narrowing down my choices as there are way too many to sensibly review and pick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

Looking for a new pair of head phones I had a cheap logitech laptop headset, it has now almost snapped in half so I'm relegating it to my "backup" pile.

Use case: I'm mostly a gamer with half decent bose speakers so I would mostly be using these for gaming and voice coms, as I use the surround sound of my speakers for videos, movies etc. I'm planning to buy the modmic microphone or maybe the vmoda boom pro still undecided on the microphone.

Budget - $100 up to $200 if really good CAD :canada:
Source - Computer, USB or 3.5mm
Isolation Requirements - No, but as long as it isn't like speakers on my head that people in the next room can hear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced is a safe bet
Past Headphones - Just a logitech h555 headset and IEM sony somethings from best buy. So I've never really had anything really "good"
Preferred Music - Rock and pop rock; Stuff with guitars, bass and drums is the common theme

Ideally looking at just narrowing down my choices as there are way too many to sensibly review and pick.

Well I've got a pair of M50x that I want to sell for $100 and they're very popular. Retail for $150.

And the PSB is awesome!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I really like my ATH AD700s for gaming. The wide sound stage is good for positional audio and they're suuuuper comfortable. I think you have to order them from the US though, I recall them being a pain to find in Canada.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Where did you get M70x's for $100?

Package deal from Adorama. I got that with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Samson MTR101 mic too for about $300

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
My wife works from home and has to listen to a ton of dictations and transcribe them. Since we are often home together, and I make noise, I want to get her something that probably has active noise canceling. Hearing other voices and sounds besides the ones in the dictations is very distracting to her. I realize that active canceling really works best with constant droning type of sounds, but I also think anything would be better than nothing. The guy next door is getting a new roof and it's out of control. Thoughts?

Budget - Any - well not any, she isn't looking for audiophile quality headphones because these aren't for music - just peace and quiet.
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - Important, see above
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - Crap
Preferred Music - N/A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
M40x for $80 on Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVLUR54/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8