Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Deflecting Palm is a source of damage and an ABAB pattern would work out that way.

Targeting the same Deflecting Palm twice would fizzle as damage is already prevented.

My understanding is that the controller of the source dealing damage would choose which of the replacement effects to apply.

I have no idea what the modo ui for this looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Deflecting Palm is a source of damage and an ABAB pattern would work out that way.

Targeting the same Deflecting Palm twice would fizzle as damage is already prevented.

This is what I thought and I'm pretty sure what happened. I targeted the latest both times.

Alaan posted:

Should be the last one your opponent played but good loving luck on MTGO.

It did work out that way.

I was mostly posting because I was so surprised to see someone else on MTGO actually playing a fun deck. I think 4 DP in one turn is ridiculous even in casual, but to play against someone playing stupid decks for fun on MTGO is a hard find.

So my original post was half rules question and part "Can you believe".

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 9, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The source changes with each deflecting palm though. It isn't actually a redirect.

Edit: I think you could technically target your own creature to create a second replacement effect you choose the order of, but it would be dumb because you are still the controller of the source.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 9, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The stack is extremely clear on magic online. If you targeted something that was lower on the stack I don't know what to tell you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShaneB posted:

The stack is extremely clear on magic online. If you targeted something that was lower on the stack I don't know what to tell you.

Deflecting Palm doesn't target.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

Deflecting Palm doesn't target.

You select the source of the damage. It's essentially like picking a target without the rules of "target" being in place. But I'm no Deflecting Palm judge so I'm all ears when it comes to understanding this better.

But anyway his opponent played the last one so I'm not sure how he would have come out of the exchange a winner.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A real-life example I found online, because I'm curious:

quote:

Let's call you A and your opponents B.

A's Siege Rhino attacks
B casts Deflecting Palm (note that the source is chosen on resolution)
B's Deflecting Palm resolves, choosing A's Siege Rhino.
A casts Deflecting Palm
A's Deflecting Palm resolves, choosing B's Deflecting Palm.
A casts a second Deflecting Palm
The second Deflecting Palm resolves, and A once more chooses B's Deflecting Palm

We move to the combat damage step. The Siege Rhino's combat damage is prevented by B's Deflecting Palm. This triggered the "If damage is prevented this way..." clause, and B's Deflecting Palm attemps to deal damage to A, but there are two replacement effects waiting to happen; the player being dealt damage (A) can now choose which replacement effect to apply first. A chooses either of his Deflecting Palms to prevent the damage from B's Deflecting Palm; since damage was prevented this triggers the "If damage is prevented this way..." clause. The replacement effect of the second of A's Deflecting Palms then checks, sees that the damage has already been prevented, and does nothing. Net result: one of A's Deflecting Palm spells deals 3 damage to player B.

TLDR. Your second Deflecting Palm does nothing.

Note to (user), damage is not redirected in this case, it is prevented and then Deflecting Palm deals an equal amount. This is important if for example the Siege Rhino has infect, or someone plays a Skullcrack.

Oh wait this example isn't a great one.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 9, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I didn't. I always targeted the latest. Turns out I did it right, according to the other replies. It was just funny that there were 4 Delecting Palms in one play.

Also, I was wondering if I could have played the stack better, but again the thread tells me that I did all I could have done.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I did miss it didn't target which makes it a bit wonkier at least!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ShaneB posted:

A real-life example I found online, because I'm curious:

Oh wait this example isn't a great one.

The better question is why a Deflecting Palm on an unblocked Siege Rhino is only doing 3 damage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Human Crouton posted:

I just wanted everyone to know that I just lost a game because someone Deflecting Palmed my Deflecting Palm, which I played in response to his other Deflecting Palm, which he played in response to my first Deflecting Palm.

I don't know the exact ruleness of which Deflecting Palm to target, but whatever it was, my opponent got it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

it's extremely clear until someone flusterstorms a tendrils of agony

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

"Night Owl" (Something lost in translation?)
2BB
Enchantment
"Night Owl" enters the battlefield with 7 time counters.

At the beginning of your draw step, you draw additional one card, remove two time counters from "Night Owl."

Your maximum hand size is equal to the number of time counters on "Night Owl."

Whenever you discard a card, you lose 1 life.

--

2W
Instant
Exile target creature you control, then return it to the batttlefiled under it's owner's control.

Draw a card.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

2BB
Enchantment

At the beginning of your draw step, you draw additional one card, remove two time counters from "Night Owl."

I hope something is missing from that translation, otherwise this is simply something bad to combo with Harmless Offering?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

PJOmega posted:

I hope something is missing from that translation, otherwise this is simply something bad to combo with Harmless Offering?

It draws you an additional card, so it's a much worse Phyrexian Arena. It would probably be worth it at 3 mana, but at 4 it doesn't seem worth the turn.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

PJOmega posted:

it's a phyrexian arena that doesn't necessarily cost you a life every turn. Seems fine.

EDIT: By fine I don't mean "constructed playable", I just mean a totally acceptable average rare that's not obvious trash.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PJOmega posted:

"Draw an extra card every turn" is pretty reasonable on its own.

It's like Avaricious Dragon without a body, except the downside takes a while to actually kick in.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
If your playing a deck that can empty it's hand efficiently every turn by turn 5, it's pretty solid. It seems okay in some Rakdos Burn lists I've seen. And most of that list will survive rotation except for Exquisite Firecraft. (and thats not even played always or even necessarily often) And in Rakdos Burn lists you can even Harmless Offer it...

anglachel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

anglachel posted:

If your playing a deck that can empty it's hand efficiently every turn by turn 5, it's pretty solid. It seems okay in some Rakdos Burn lists I've seen. And most of that list will survive rotation except for Exquisite Firecraft. (and thats not even played always or even necessarily often) And in Rakdos Burn lists you can even Harmless Offer it...

Doesn't Rakdos Burn discard a bunch of cards?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Doesn't Rakdos Burn discard a bunch of cards?

Yep. But by turn 5 (or whatever turn your hellbent), it's most likely empty handed, and 5 mana will be enough to pretty much immediately cast anything you draw. The only time you would want to/need to discard at that point is to power Collective Brutality, which has a handy "gain 2 life" part to it to offset the life loss.

Like yeah you want to cast Fiery Temper for 1, but turn 5 when your basically hellbent anyways, paying 3 for it and say dropping a land. And the card doesn't force discard until turn 8. If your playing Burn and going to turn 8, your having bigger problems.

The biggest mark against it is that top decking is likely to not get you a whole lot sense you have to wait a whole turn first.

But sense it would likely go into a deck with Chandra, flipping this off her, and just letting it exile and your opponent take 2 won't be terrible either. And if you need to discard it to Collectice Brutality or Reveler, not real loss if you feel it's not gonna get you there.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 9, 2016

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the Orb of Zot posted:

It draws you an additional card, so it's a much worse Phyrexian Arena. It would probably be worth it at 3 mana, but at 4 it doesn't seem worth the turn.

Tottally putting this in my doubling season/proliferate deck 14 card handsize here I come

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Weird card

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

and then they ban collected company and I cum

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

So you LOOK at 10 cards... But you only pick two... Then your opponent gets first pick between the two, and you get the other one?

Dubious.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Serperoth posted:

So you LOOK at 10 cards... But you only pick two... Then your opponent gets first pick between the two, and you get the other one?

Dubious.

It's a may, so the opponent might decide not to pick anything, giving you two creatures. Now that's upside.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You can also choose to choose only one... giving it to the opponent if they want it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rinkles posted:

You can also choose to choose only one... giving it to the opponent if they want it.

Play this first, the opponent grabs the only creature, slam Oath of Druids as you mutter "All according to cakeaku".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

It honestly should have said three instead of two. That way, you get two creatures to their one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

I have no idea what you do with this but it's cool.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Seems like a commander card. "Hmm, top 8, Joe over there can have the best one out of these two, and I'll get the other one."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sestze posted:

Seems like a commander card. "Hmm, top 8, Joe over there can have the best one out of these two, and I'll get the other one."

As much as you would like to believe it, being dogshit terrible doesn't equate to commander card.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
A combo deck could use this in theory. Pull out two copies of the same creature that makes your combo fire, what the opponent does makes no difference.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

2BB
Enchantment

When this only has one counter left on it and it tells you to remove two, do you remove none (because you can't remove 2) or remove one?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dragon enthusiast posted:

When this only has one counter left on it and it tells you to remove two, do you remove none (because you can't remove 2) or remove one?

You do as much as you can, so you'll end up with a maximum hand size of zero.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I guess it's meant to be a 'teamwork' card in multiplayer? Still kinda bad.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A combo deck could use this in theory. Pull out two copies of the same creature that makes your combo fire, what the opponent does makes no difference.
There could also be some combo where you don't care which side of the field one of the pieces is maybe?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sower and Emrakul? :D

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It sort of works OK with mechrakaal

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

Nevermind I misread

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
That Dubious Challenge card seems very good when you have a homeward path on the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That card is just very bad, in the sense that it's not even exciting for a casual player. I may be wrong, but even a casual player would think wtf, why would my opponent get to choose first?

• Locked thread