Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

everyone has debt. apple has like $50b in debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Elephanthead posted:

Why does F1 have 4 billion in debt?

Theyre owned by a shitheel investment firm. Do you need to ask?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I still can't believe an American company bought the commercial rights. America is not a place where F1 can succeed.

The TV ratings are terrible and we won't pay the ridiculous fees to host races. COTA is in trouble after just a couple years.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

daslog posted:

I still can't believe an American company bought the commercial rights. America is not a place where F1 can succeed.

The TV ratings are terrible and we won't pay the ridiculous fees to host races. COTA is in trouble after just a couple years.

Yes glorious places like Baku are the key to formula 1s survival. America has no car culture and F1 could never be something Americans are interested in.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

here's some crazy poo poo: you can make money in other countries, and then - try to stay calm - convert their currency into dollars and bring into the US

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wicka stop posting complete insanity. I'm tired of you're insane ramblings with no basis in reality.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wicka posted:

here's some crazy poo poo: you can make money in other countries, and then - try to stay calm - convert their currency into dollars and bring into the US

Jesus christ settle down Wicka

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Why are you guys thinking they'll focus solely on the US? You don't really think they bought F1 just to get it more traction in the US, do you?

EDIT: posted before I saw wicka's post, but my point still stands.

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 8, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

US companies don't bring their money back due to the massive tax hit they will take.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/u-s-companies-are-stashing-2-1-trillion-overseas-to-avoid-taxes

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's this crazy thing called tax havens and loopholes that lets you bring the money back into the states paying significantly less tax than normal.

George Zimmer posted:

Why are you guys thinking they'll focus solely on the US? You don't really think they bought F1 just to get it more traction in the US, do you?

Nobody other than the guy who asked the question does.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dubs posted:

RIP Bernie

Evil Jon Stewart Twin is the new Bernie?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

he looks like a chubby stan kroenke

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

There's this crazy thing called tax havens and loopholes that lets you bring the money back into the states paying significantly less tax than normal.

Nobody other than the guy who asked the question does.

You should call up Apple and tell their CFO how to do it because he can't figure it out.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

Now this is just crazy talk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

You should call up Apple and tell their CFO how to do it because he can't figure it out.

surprise: he's italian

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I don't see any indication of an increased US focus.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if F1 really needs the US to survive. I like COTA, however. It's the best US venue for an F1 race in some time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Last time I read JJoc* he was having a complete meltdown in his comments section over the idea that James Allison would move to be closer to his early 20s children immediately after their mother's death because 'children in Britain leave the house by that age it makes no sense'

I need a link to this because good god

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 wants races in the US so they can wine and dine american companies in their own backyard. TV ratings are kind of irrelevant.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

Convert? Something like 2/3rds of US dollars not in banks circulate outside of the USA. We are the one world currency :911::respek::black101:

(until republicans break our 220 year old line of credit, making us pay for loans like the rest of the plebes because they equate national debt with household debt)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wicka posted:

surprise: he's italian

lol

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

daslog posted:

Maybe in its current state yea, we all know Bernie is hopelessly behind when it comes to keeping up with modern poo poo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for live streaming / subs / that kind of poo poo.

edit:

quote:

The new chairman of Formula 1 will be the elaborately moustachioed Chase Carey, the executive vice chairman of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox.

poo poo

enri fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 8, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Nothings going to change till Bernie dies... which is never

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Better the 600 year old demigod you know.....

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHIgMQANXE/

Is nuetral how they spell it in Columbia?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I miss nuestro Juan.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Liberty media own Virgin media and also have their sticky fingers in Sky and Fox.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Actually I'm down with the yanks owning F1. The yanks won't want to be putting on races in dusty middle eastern poo poo holes.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Oh yes America never interfere with dusty poo poo holes. Esp the ones with oil!

Overall I am sure this will help the seriously lacking youth engagement issue and perhaps the broadcasting limitations of old.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

thegasman2000 posted:

Oh yes America never interfere with dusty poo poo holes. Esp the ones with oil!

F1-branded trucks roll off the planes in some Arabian backwater, the coverings fall away and SURPRISE Apache gunships and Abrams tanks pop out and blow up the corrupt oppressive government, bringing freedom and democracy to the cheering crowds. :911:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Helicon One posted:

F1-branded trucks roll off the planes in some Arabian backwater, the coverings fall away and SURPRISE Apache gunships and Abrams tanks pop out and blow up the corrupt oppressive government, bringing freedom and democracy to the cheering crowds. :911:

:five:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Helicon One posted:

:circlefap:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I mean the clue is right there in the name - Liberty Media

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helicon One posted:

F1-branded trucks roll off the planes in some Arabian backwater, the coverings fall away and SURPRISE Apache gunships and Abrams tanks driven by mercenary leader Pastor Maldonado pop out and blow up the corrupt oppressive government, bringing freedom and democracy to the cheering crowds. :911:

Fixed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure how they spell it in Missouri. Would have to check my Spanish dictionary to see how they spell it in Colombia.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I thought about pointing that out but assumed id look like the spergiest sperg in the sperg thread.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Helicon One posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of this.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Carth Dookie posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of this.

I went from 6 to midnight just reading that post :911:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

quote:

F1-branded trucks roll off the planes in some Arabian backwater, the coverings fall away and SURPRISE Apache gunships and Abrams tanks driven by mercenary leader Pastor Maldonado pop out and crash into the corrupt oppressive government, bringing freedom and democracy to the cheering crowds.
Fixed.
Super-fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Liberty media own Virgin media and also have their sticky fingers in Sky and Fox.

Which means NBC will likely lose broadcast rights and they'll give it to Fox... and promptly put it on Fox Sports 1 WHICH NO ONE WATCHES. They did that with the NASCAR races and viewership dropped like mad. This was their plan for the 24 Hours of LeMans one year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/foxs-tv-schedule-for-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-is-heinous-1709149579 , and then did this this year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/fox-sports-pushed-the-start-of-motorsports-biggest-even-1782209818 .

(Not to say all of Fox's sports coverage is bad though. I like their American football coverage over CBS for the day games and their "local" channels pretty much allow all the local teams to be covered (Fox Sports Wisconsin pretty much airs all the Brewers and Bucks games that aren't on ESPN).)

• Locked thread