Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Haunter is another of the more unimaginative gen 1 names.

"Alright, what's this one's deal?"
"Well, it's one of the ghost types. It haunts th-"
"Okay cool, Haunter. When's lunch?"

I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky that we got Jolteon and Zapdos instead on Thunder and Thunders.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I would have called him Rayman cause he's got no arms.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hardcordion posted:

Haunter is another of the more unimaginative gen 1 names.

"Alright, what's this one's deal?"
"Well, it's one of the ghost types. It haunts th-"
"Okay cool, Haunter. When's lunch?"

I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky that we got Jolteon and Zapdos instead on Thunder and Thunders.

Grimer, Muk, Persian.

Again, still better than the original Japanese names. Haunter is huge improvement over Ghost.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 9, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Golden Goat posted:

I would have called him Rayman cause he's got no arms.

you still can

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

pokedex posted:

Its tongue is made of gas. If licked, its victim starts shaking constantly until death eventually comes.
How about GraveLick or KillerKiss or DeathRimmer

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Elfgames posted:

only graveler was decently named
I feel bad for Graveler. What happens to his two little arms when he evolves?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fritzler posted:

I feel bad for Graveler. What happens to his two little arms when he evolves?

They fuse to become the face.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

oddium posted:

who's the girl with all the butterflies

it's oddium~

thanks pentaro !!

On a similar note, I caught all the unown yesterday because... well... I dunno why. Because I could, I guess.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Geostomp posted:

Again, still better than the original Japanese names. Haunter is huge improvement over Ghost.

What about GHOS??

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

cheetah7071 posted:

I've done the math and Charizard is the best pokemon name

Actually the best Pokemon name is Relaxo

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Geostomp posted:

I'm partial to Showers, Thunders, and Booster myself

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Thunders ain't got nothing on Thunder.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
BOOBER

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vulgina

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Metamon is a much better name than Ditto. Sorry if this is considered offensive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Golem should have been really fast and named Bouldadash

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gammatron 64 posted:

On a similar note, I caught all the unown yesterday because... well... I dunno why. Because I could, I guess.

You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Can a living pokedex without all 28 Unown be called a living pokedex at all?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Pentaro posted:

Metamon is a much better name than Ditto. Sorry if this is considered offensive.

Any name that ends in "-mon" is a copout.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Senerio posted:

Yes because I ain't doing that poo poo

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Senerio posted:

Slippery slope. This would also demand duplicates of any pokemon that has multiple forms

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Senerio posted:

Maybe, I dunno.

I don't feel like getting each and every forme for every Pokemon, though. That would involve 3 Burmies\Wormadans, 4 Deoxys, 6 Rotoms, 2 Gritanias, 4 Deerling\Sawsbuck that have to be imported from Gen 5 at different seasons, 2 copies of the genies, and multiple copies of multiple event Pokemon. Plus it's not even possible to have both merged Kyurem formes in one game without cheating.

I could double up on Shellos\Gastrodon, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
No living dex is complete until the player has traveled back in time to catch all the ancient Unown

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I clicked the "Random Page" link in Bulbapedia and ended up in a very dark place.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They previewed new official merch today featuring all legendaries and mythicals revealed up to Magearna, and Phione isn't on it. So I guess that finally settles that age old debate Bulbapedia's been having with itself for over a decade now?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zodack posted:

Slippery slope. This would also demand duplicates of any pokemon that has multiple forms

Is it a living pokedex without every form of pokemon with multiple forms?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

less laughter posted:

They previewed new official merch today featuring all legendaries and mythicals revealed up to Magearna, and Phione isn't on it. So I guess that finally settles that age old debate Bulbapedia's been having with itself for over a decade now?

Lol if you think something like evidence will stop nerds arguing over petty bullshit. :rolleye:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

less laughter posted:

That's so cluttered I can't even tell if Manaphy is on it. But I assume it is. gently caress Phione, that poo poo ain't legendary.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gammatron 64 posted:

That would involve 3 Burmies\Wormadans, 4 Deoxys, 6 Rotoms, 2 Gritanias, 4 Deerling\Sawsbuck that have to be imported from Gen 5 at different seasons, 2 copies of the genies, and multiple copies of multiple event Pokemon. Plus it's not even possible to have both merged Kyurem formes in one game without cheating.

I, for one, do not consider my pokedex a living pokedex without all this. Also all the Vivillons.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's so cluttered I can't even tell if Manaphy is on it. But I assume it is. gently caress Phione, that poo poo ain't legendary.

Manaphy is between Ho-Oh and Groudon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Senerio posted:

I, for one, do not consider my pokedex a living pokedex without all this.

I have everything except multiple Deoxys, and I could really get those at any time I wanted by auctioning off any extra legendaries I have on the GTS. And of course I'll be making room for Alolan forms once that happens. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but a fun one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i bet magearna, type: null, and ub01 are all related

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
https://twitter.com/HoodlumScrafty/status/774245058811990016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
After looking up to see, I'm glad I'm not going to be the only one to refer to UB-01 as "Uboan" to save time and cut out the last syllable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Really, they go for Skarmory for the insect legs?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe, I dunno.

I don't feel like getting each and every forme for every Pokemon, though. That would involve 3 Burmies\Wormadans, 4 Deoxys, 6 Rotoms, 2 Gritanias, 4 Deerling\Sawsbuck that have to be imported from Gen 5 at different seasons, 2 copies of the genies, and multiple copies of multiple event Pokemon. Plus it's not even possible to have both merged Kyurem formes in one game without cheating.

I could double up on Shellos\Gastrodon, though.
Don't even talk to me if you've not caught all of Spinda's 4,294,967,296 spot pattern permutations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he didn't even get the arceus ring, the most important part

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

notoriousman posted:

Don't even talk to me if you've not caught all of Spinda's 4,294,967,296 spot pattern permutations.

I thought it was just one per nature from Gen 4 onwards?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Viewtiful Jew posted:

After looking up to see, I'm glad I'm not going to be the only one to refer to UB-01 as "Uboan" to save time and cut out the last syllable.

The love child of the Wii U and the Xbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

AlphaKretin posted:

I thought it was just one per nature from Gen 4 onwards?
Far as I can tell from Gen 3 to 5 the Personality Value was used, while in Gen 6 they used the Encryption Constant. But they're both unsigned 32-bit integers so there's no functional difference.

Also the Encryption Constant doesn't seem to do anything besides determine Spinda's spots and determining Wurmple's evolution, and for any Pokémon entering Gen 6 from a previous game this value just becomes a copy of their PID.