Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Torrannor posted:

1. That seems like very little payoff for a lot of work to implement that feature. But perhaps they fear fan backlash if they don't reference Shepard, so anything is posdible.

2. I'm bad at detecting internet sarcasm, is that a dog at me? In any case, you can approach the game like "bad until proven otherwise", which is a valid method. But we have so few informations regarding the actual game itself, I would simply wait until we get at least beta footage and more in-depth looks before despairing over the game possibly being bad.

nah not a dig at you -- I agree for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BexGu posted:

If they have the same team as MS3 for multiplayer that part might still be good.

God that's a lot of "ifs".

I would buy it day one just for that. If it's any good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Nothing I have seen from this game has given me any confidence in its ability to be good at all.

Torrannor posted:

Nothing I have seen so far gives me any reason to think this game will be bad either.

Unless I'm mistaken this 4K video was literally the first video released that shows something akin to regular gameplay whereas everything else has been quick cuts or sweeping pans of environments.

So I've seen nothing of this game so I have absolutely no ability to judge it good or bad.

I guess not being show anything could be considered a bad thing, though I have noticed that some companies are shorterning or toning down their "hype" cycle lately.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I think the whole point of establishing the game in a new galaxy was so they could avoid having to import a game state. Andromeda is completely disconnected from everything we've seen previously (intentionally), and I bet that saves an insane amount of backward-bending to make sure this fits "your" galaxy from the original trilogy.

I have no problem with this, honestly. Starting fresh sounds great at this point.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
There is what, around 6 months before release in March? With the console certification process being what, 3 months, that is not much dev time left. There should at least be SOMETHING besides a "look how pretty this is" demo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rydad. This is official now

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Rydad. This is official now

You sure? You still have time to reconsider and go with "Dadder" you know

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

Nothing I have seen from this game has given me any confidence in its ability to be good at all.

Yep. I have a feeling this will be more bad bioware (EA) crap.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

You sure? You still have time to reconsider and go with "Dadder" you know

Listen to what you're saying.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's going to be Sheps clone from Citadel. He's the bad guy this time. He will ride on top of a reaper and you will have to break out of a batarian prison camp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. I have a feeling this will be more bad bioware (EA) crap.

It has nothing to do with EA and everything to do with this game looking bad, being in development trouble for a long period of time, and looking like their marketing dept. is very obviously trying to cover up the bad by not showing anything substantial for two years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

It has nothing to do with EA and everything to do with this game looking bad, being in development trouble for a long period of time, and looking like their marketing dept. is very obviously trying to cover up the bad by not showing anything substantial for two years.

It has everything to do with EA. They are the publisher. They are the ones who rushed ME3 and caused it to be a total poo poo show.

It doesn't look like they are rushing ME4, but their poo poo covered hands are still all over the place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It seems like Bioware doesn't need any help loving up Andromeda entirely by themselves, we don't have to invent fanciful narratives like "Evil Empire EA corrupted the Knights of Good Old Bioware and that's why the new Mass Effect team can't get their poo poo together." If anything it seems like EA knows it's gonna tank and has been distancing itself from the project.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EA is merely taking their time because they can't come up with something stupider than Square Enix's "Augment your preorder" thing. I'm sure EA will figure something out though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Mass Effect Andromeda will definitely be bad based on everything we've seen and my own extensive experience in judging such things

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

It seems like Bioware doesn't need any help loving up Andromeda entirely by themselves, we don't have to invent fanciful narratives like "Evil Empire EA corrupted the Knights of Good Old Bioware and that's why the new Mass Effect team can't get their poo poo together." If anything it seems like EA knows it's gonna tank and has been distancing itself from the project.

Bioware isn't "Bioware" any more and they haven't been in a long time. Not since soon after the EA takeover. It's EA selling things with the Bioware brand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda will definitely be bad based on everything we've seen and my own extensive experience in judging such things

Is it? I mean yeah I no longer trust them that much but I haven't gotten enough info to judge. All I know is a lot the devs of the game spend time jerking off about politics on Twitter and that it's set in a new galaxy with sibling protagonists. And that I didn't care for any of the dragon age games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is it? I mean yeah I no longer trust them that much but I haven't gotten enough info to judge. All I know is a lot the devs of the game spend time jerking off about politics on Twitter and that it's set in a new galaxy with sibling protagonists. And that I didn't care for any of the dragon age games.

I think it's a bit absurd to definitively state whether a game will be Good or Bad based on what little info we've gotten so far

Someone could argue that certain admin factors (team members leaving and the like) point toward a negative outcome but lots of good products come out of a tumultuous situation, and well-run teams can produce crap

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Inquisition had flaws, but both the companions and the story were done well. I loved basically the whole of Trespasser. So I do think they are still able to create good games, and I will give them the benefit of doubt until I have tangible evidence that Andromeda is bad.

But I won't pre-order and will wait a week until reviews are in before I get the game, that kind of trust is gone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked Inquisition as well, but nobody from that project is working on Andromeda. It's a totally different team.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

I liked Inquisition as well, but nobody from that project is working on Andromeda. It's a totally different team.

Yeah, that's one reason I'm still in a wait and see mood. I feel like the DA team did a good enough job with the good parts of DA:I that I can trust them, but the ME team still needs to work for it.

Right now we've seen some pretty pictures, an Asari who looks very expressive but who sounds kind of dumb when she talks and Nolan North? That's not much to go on.

edit: Then again, DA:I's promotional materials and teasers were achingly, groaningly dumb and awful, so it may just be more of Bioware is worse at that stuff than they are at making games.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 9, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There's also that leaked survey from about a year ago that now lines up with a bunch of info (Helius Cluster, Remnant ruins) we got in the tech demo vid. Sounds like a hybridization of ME, Inquisition mechanics... and Destiny?

edit: The base building stuff in particular sounds a lot like what was originally intended for Inquisition before last-gen porting limitations forced them to cut most of that stuff out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I can confidently say that this screenshot looks p. cool (and a bit No Man's Sky-ish)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Bioware has historically been awful at advertising their games. This goes back even to their good ones.
THIS IS REAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiosw0YYBlc

I don't think we can even make a judgment on Andromeda yet, simply because we hardly know anything. And I understand that such little info this late in the dev cycle can be concerning - hell, I'm skeptical - but that seems to be Bioware's new modus operandi. The advertising for Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 killed those games dead. The former poisoned the well, the latter was used as a template for everything disappointed players claimed they were promised. Not that the advertising excuses those games flaws, mind you. It just compounded them. Since then, Bioware seems to have moved away from that. Inquisition had three large, $15 expansions. Two of them weren't announced until hours before they dropped. The third was announced one week before its release - which was, curiously, less than a month after the second expansion. And yet the third one was still incredible.
Basically, I'm saying that Bioware's marketing strategies in relation to their release schedules have always been... weird.

Anyway, I know Andromeda is mostly a new team, which might be good or bad (pros: no Casey Hudson, cons: no Patrick Weekes). Do we know if John Dombrow is working on it? He was one of the better writers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Bioware has historically been awful at advertising their games. This goes back even to their good ones.
THIS IS REAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiosw0YYBlc

I don't think we can even make a judgment on Andromeda yet, simply because we hardly know anything. And I understand that such little info this late in the dev cycle can be concerning - hell, I'm skeptical - but that seems to be Bioware's new modus operandi. The advertising for Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 killed those games dead. The former poisoned the well, the latter was used as a template for everything disappointed players claimed they were promised. Not that the advertising excuses those games flaws, mind you. It just compounded them. Since then, Bioware seems to have moved away from that. Inquisition had three large, $15 expansions. Two of them weren't announced until hours before they dropped. The third was announced one week before its release - which was, curiously, less than a month after the second expansion. And yet the third one was still incredible.
Basically, I'm saying that Bioware's marketing strategies in relation to their release schedules have always been... weird.

Anyway, I know Andromeda is mostly a new team, which might be good or bad (pros: no Casey Hudson, cons: no Patrick Weekes). Do we know if John Dombrow is working on it? He was one of the better writers.

They REALLY over-advertised ME3. Remember all those live-action trailers?

This one in particular weirded me out because very little about it felt like Mass Effect, yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgP-qTvoQw

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hopefully this game is good but they have released so little information that my hopes arn't high.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think publishers are starting to realise that you don't need to market games years in advance, you only really need a few months of effective marketing before release. There have been plenty of games in the last few years that weren't shown or even announced until the year they came out: Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Watch_Dogs 2, pretty much every Call of Duty.

Really, they probably shouldn't have even announced Andromeda until they had something to show.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Nolan North is the male Ryder, but we don't know who the female VA is yet, right?

ME3 would have been better if instead it was Konrad instead of that kid on the top of the Citadel, and he called you out for all the renegade options you picked in the series (big stupid jellyfish, shooting Conrad in the foot, etc.) "You're no shepherd. Your talents lie elsewhere. :smug:"

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I think it's a bit absurd to definitively state whether a game will be Good or Bad based on what little info we've gotten so far

I'd argue that the lack of info is itself an indicator of the quality of the product, especially after ME3 where you'd think they'd want to assure people that the plot isn't going to completely fall apart 1/3rd of the way in and just continue to collapse in on itself as things proceed. Saying almost nothing about Andromeda over the last 2-3 years when it's supposed to be out in 6 months doesn't exactly fill one with confidence that the product is going to be good.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mac Walters, while refusing to acknowledge whether ME3's ending was good or bad, stated that the team has "learned their lesson". That could either be him showing regret for the decisions made while still trying to save face with the company, or it could be referring to the PR disaster that accompanied the prelude and aftermath of ME3. Bioware is scared of advertising. I think they definitely have the potential to still make good games. Citadel was good. Inquisition was good. Trespasser was good. They haven't really made a bad thing since ME3, which was almost five years ago. Andromeda is still an unknown.
We also live in an age where advertising kills games reputations really fast. See: Watchdogs, No Man's Sky. Even movies are shying away from exposing too much about themselves before release. I was amazed at how little info there was about The Force Awakens before it came out. Even the infinite marketing engine of Disney/Lucasfilm delayed the release of many of the toys so as not to give away anything. We still know next to nothing about Rogue One. Producers are learning that less is more when it comes to advertising.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, maybe ME:A will have four colors to choose from.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just came by to say that Andromeda's marketing hasn't impressed me and I was a huge fan of the ME trilogy (until the end of course).

But I really want them to do a good game.

Inquisition wasn't very good IMO.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just came by to say that Andromeda's marketing hasn't impressed me and I was a huge fan of the ME trilogy (until the end of course).

But I really want them to do a good game.

Inquisition wasn't very good IMO.

I agree with all of this.

DAI didn't feel cohesive. The overarching plot just seemed like something tacked on to a bunch of vignettes that began to all seem the same because they were.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree with all of this.

DAI didn't feel cohesive. The overarching plot just seemed like something tacked on to a bunch of vignettes that began to all seem the same because they were.

The main missions of DAI seemed pretty cohesive but there was an awful lot of side-stuff that definitely wasn't

it's why I enjoyed the DLCs more because after you took care of the Big Bad all the other stuff seemed like a logical progression for an organization like the Inquisition. Lower-stakes investigating and peacekeeping

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It just makes sense. Employing special magic tactics, doing reconnaissance...

I hear inquisitors don't answer to anyone! At any cost!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Strategic Tea posted:

I hear inquisitors don't answer to anyone! At any cost!!

Much like Spectres. Funny, that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

And yet Inquisition still has some of Bioware's best character writing and is thematically the most cohesive and mature game they've ever written. The Corypheus plot is giant red herring, and the game pretty much makes that clear by the end, where we see that Corypheus is just as much of a victim of confused identity and deluded importance as every other character. The real story is how that drama unfolds across the board - which happens consistently throughout the entire game. And Descent and Trespasser put new spins on the lore to parallel the paradigm of the in-game universe with those of the characters. This simultaneously raises the stakes and brings everything to a head.
Basically, the story of Inquisition is compelling, but subliminal. And a lot of it is rendered visually, similar to Dark Souls. I think we're just more open to free interpretation of things in Dark Souls because there's such an absence of dialogue, especially compared to the weighty amount in Inquisition. But I think the little bits of visual storytelling are just as critical and subtle. Like how there's an emblem of Mythal uncovered by your final battle in the Temple of Sacred Ashes. There's no cutscene for it, no direction that compels you to look at it, but it's there, and it carries astounding implications when paired with the other details we've picked up throughout the game. If we were to analyze Dark Souls on its most basic level, its story would initially appear to be a generic quest to stop the end of the world by overthrowing the powers that be, but everyone who's played it knows there's a lot more depth beyond that premise. I think Inquisition has a similarly unique and creative narrative underneath a familiar surface plot, and its themes and ideas are informed by its elusive nature (again, similar to Dark Souls).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Pattonesque posted:

The main missions of DAI seemed pretty cohesive but there was an awful lot of side-stuff that definitely wasn't

I have this problem with a lot of open world games; so much sidetracking, and you lose the cohesion of the story.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Much like Spectres. Funny, that.

Also grey wardens, spirit monks and jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

I have this problem with a lot of open world games; so much sidetracking, and you lose the cohesion of the story.

Yeah, it works better with stories where the main story isn't so urgent. New Vegas, for example -- you're just waiting for a big battle to start, and none of the factions seem super anxious to start it until they're good and ready

One thing about Inquisition that rubbed me the wrong way -- the fact that the camera doesn't zoom in on conversations except for important ones. I felt like this added a lot to characterization of even minor NPCs in DAO. Like, I can remember what, say, Sergeant Kylon looked like from DAO but had no idea that Charter from DAI was an elf until I read about it

• Locked thread