Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

Why pay twice as much for a metal case when you are covering it in plastic? You are covering your thin sleek EXPENSIVE metal case with plastic and make it look like a much cheaper phone.

You are like an old lady that puts plastic covers on her sofa.

I used Nokias for years because (a) I really wanted Windows Phone to work :negative: and (b) they were basically indestructible. I hate cases, they look tacky, they make your phone bulkier, and it's bullshit that they're basically a necessity with a lot of phones. Now I have an S6 Active because it seemed to be the best option AT&T had for phones that do not shatter immediately at the slightest tap, and so I still don't need a case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

Why pay twice as much for a metal case when you are covering it in plastic? You are covering your thin sleek EXPENSIVE metal case with plastic and make it look like a much cheaper phone.

You are like an old lady that puts plastic covers on her sofa.

The phones are intentionally designed to need a case. It's all a scam

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

loquacius posted:

I used Nokias for years because (a) I really wanted Windows Phone to work :negative:

Wtf

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

loquacius posted:

I used Nokias for years because (a) I really wanted Windows Phone to work :negative:

hosed up if true

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It has the best UI out of any of them, it was just way too late to the game and was then driven into the ground by MS's horrible top-level business decisions

Like the Zune: a good device, ruined by awful decisions

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I had a Windows phone beater for a few weeks and the UI is not good

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

If you tihnk this UI looks good you need to pull that pencil out of your brain.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Also the way the back button works is weird and illogical

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
i wonder if they'll backpedal with the 7S

doesn't matter rockin my SE for the rest of time

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

For a loving phone.

Edit: Literally, a slave labour kid in asia has a million dollars of iphone's go through their hands every day.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 9, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Live tiles are a good concept. Android widgets are a better execution of the concept.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

If you tihnk this UI looks good you need to pull that pencil out of your brain.

I'd take this over the "wall of icons" thing both Android and iOS have going on ten times out of ten, and I miss it :colbert: (I don't miss it as much as I appreciate having a phone with a healthy ecosystem though)

radiatinglines posted:

Also the way the back button works is weird and illogical

I don't have any specific memories of this messing me up in any way but iOS doesn't even HAVE a back button

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Young Freud posted:

Sorry, this sound can only be heard by Apple's iCortex auditory cortical implant. Think of augmenting yourself today.

George Orwell feared the wrong kind of future. This is the real terror.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

George Orwell feared the wrong kind of future. This is the real terror.

Not even Shadowrun saw proprietary fragmentation coming :ohdear:

"Sorry, chummer, I can't hack into this Matrix terminal because my cyberdeck has an Aztechnology port and the terminal only takes NeoNET cables"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the coax plug with the little twisty spring lock thing

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
It wouldn't be so bad if they just went with USB-C like Android and their own products like MacBook.
At least then companies could make two kinds of wired headphones and adapters, USB-C or traditional 3.5mm. now they have to make 3 and guess what? There will be twice as many Lighting poo poo.

Bluetooth audio is pretty good these days, fine for casual listening at the office, etc. Bluetooth 4.0 and protocols like aptx make a difference But both devices have to support it.

:shrug:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

shoophobo posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they just went with USB-C like Android and their own products like MacBook.
At least then companies could make two kinds of wired headphones and adapters, USB-C or traditional 3.5mm. now they have to make 3 and guess what? There will be twice as many Lighting poo poo.

Bluetooth audio is pretty good these days, fine for casual listening at the office, etc. Bluetooth 4.0 and protocols like aptx make a difference But both devices have to support it.

:shrug:

Yes, but Apple doesn't get $4 for every USB-C socket.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Bluetooth sounds like garbage.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah again I could absolutely accept this with only a little griping if they were using a standard instead of their own proprietary poo poo. I had the same reaction to Sony pushing Blu-Ray instead of HD-DVD. Maybe this'll turn out to be as largely irrelevant as that one did :shrug:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Bluetooth sounds like garbage.

maybe you just have a bad DAC, bro, maybe you just have a bad DAC.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No literally, the word "bluetooth" sounds like garbage.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

My workmate spent all day bitching about the new iphone yesterday so naturally he preordered one this morning. £900 lmao.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
removing the jack was a real dick move

but a smart one because all the Apple People are gonna buy the phone anyways AND the adapters that have licensing fees attached to them AND like it you filthy whore

I dropped your Lightning connector on the floor; pick it up if you want it you bitch

I KNOW YOU WANT IT ALSO YOU'RE FAT AND UGLY

opus111 posted:

My workmate spent all day bitching about the new iphone yesterday so naturally he preordered one this morning. £900 lmao.

case in point

I kind of wish there was a good smartphone that was also small

and had good battery life

and had a tactile keyboard attached that was worth a drat

with a removable battery

also it makes me breakfast and makes sound long-term investment decisions for me

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Buy one now, they're switching to lovely Chinese companies now for political reasons and they are going to suck

Isn't that the one with the retaded modular accessories that all cost hundrefs of dollars

Another post chinese buyout design, naturally
I saw the one that lets you add on a real camera or a projector and it was interesting but not interesting enough for me to buy it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Garbage phone for garbage people

the correct reply

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've been thinking about this and Apple really is uniquely suited to cut out poo poo whose time has passed but which everybody still loves and make otherwise unpopular decisions, because everyone fuckin' loves them and will defend whatever and get in fist-fights with each other because they're so eager to buy everything. And then they get credit for being visionaries. When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

This also grants them freedom to make this progress in really lovely ways w/r/t their proprietary technology (luckily they were never able to force FireWire on everybody so maybe the Lightning-headphones thing will blow over)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

No literally, the word "bluetooth" sounds like garbage.

It is named after a danish king with rotten teeth

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tenspott posted:

I saw the one that lets you add on a real camera or a projector and it was interesting but not interesting enough for me to buy it.

The projector is $300 and only works with that phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

The projector is $300 and only works with that phone

Sounds like a billion-dollar idea if it were made of molded white plastic and had an Apple logo on it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The camera is also $300. The same price as an actual camera

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Really if you aren't on Google fi as a cell service then you done hosed up

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Really if you aren't on Google fi as a cell service then you done hosed up

This is true. I paid $27 for my service last month. Get the 5X though, the 6P is apparently poo poo.

e: on the other hand now google knows even more about me, and it fills me with existential dread once in a while.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

loquacius posted:

When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

... unless Apple then steals the idea, in which case Apple will say they're "doing it the right way" and everyone will fellate them as visionaries.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Sounds like a billion-dollar idea if it were made of molded white plastic and had an Apple logo on it

I somehow don't doubt this.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

I've been thinking about this and Apple really is uniquely suited to cut out poo poo whose time has passed but which everybody still loves and make otherwise unpopular decisions, because everyone fuckin' loves them and will defend whatever and get in fist-fights with each other because they're so eager to buy everything. And then they get credit for being visionaries. When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

This also grants them freedom to make this progress in really lovely ways w/r/t their proprietary technology (luckily they were never able to force FireWire on everybody so maybe the Lightning-headphones thing will blow over)

Trouble is they're only doing it to make even thinner phones. Who are these people that are all buying thinner at the expense of everything phones? Give me a fat old phone with decent battery life and doesn't look like it'll snap in half if you look at it wrong.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Good phones with good features like removable batteries are getting increasingly difficult to find.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I have boost mobile and I've never had a name-brand phone, everything has been knock-off Samsungs like Kyocera and ZTE. My phones have always been terrible and my life is a living hell, but at least I'm not a garbage trash iphone user.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

happyhippy posted:

For a loving phone.

Internaut! posted:

the greatest thing about Apple has always been and continues to be the sheer rage they instill in nerds, especially the variety of nerd who gets apoplectic at the stoplight when a nice car pulls up beside his econobox

STUPID SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT DOESN'T KNOW A KIA CARRIES JUST AS MANY PASSENGERS AS A MERCEDES

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Berious posted:

Trouble is they're only doing it to make even thinner phones. Who are these people that are all buying thinner at the expense of everything phones? Give me a fat old phone with decent battery life and doesn't look like it'll snap in half if you look at it wrong.

Actually the new iPhone isn't any thinner thsn before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
That Fi thing looks cool and I'll keep it in mind but I'm currently in a situation where I'm using an old Verizon unlimited contract to wirelessly tether as my only internet and using like 100GB a month on streaming and online gaming and other things

• Locked thread