Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Has anyone make the joke yet that they've run out of ps3 games to remaster so now we're just going to remaster the ps4 games for the ps4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why don't you try your hand at it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ufarn posted:

Slim sounds like it's for you, yeah. There's no optical port if you ever plan on hooking it up to a sound system nor support for 4K streaming, so there's that.

The wireless is the same as in the Pro, so it's going to be as good or bad as that one. Which might still be pretty bad.

Thanks! I do not plan to use a sound system at all, and on my 360 I even use a headset to play FPS games as I play them on my 22" screen on my computer desk.

A question regarding PSN service: Do I need an active PS Plus to play digital downloads of a game (like purchasing Bloodborne from the store) even if I just want to play on single player with no coop or invasions at all? Right now I can let xbox live gold run out on my 360 and keep playing the free games I got or bought but seems that with the xbone you can't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Games you paid money for in the store (or whose list price was free for everyone) do not require an active Plus subscription. Games you got for free as Plus perks do require an active subscription. So if you bought Bloodborne specifically and let Plus lapse or never started it you would be able to play (with no MP features).

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

J-Spot posted:

Sony has reneged on allowing Bethesda to offer mod support for Skyrim and Fallout 4. Pretty lovely of the company that supposed to be "for the players" to deny their user base a major feature like this.

get your lizard tits on PC like everyone else you nerds.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
Has anyone found a permanent way to fix the launch PS4 eject problem? I've monkeyed with the rubber foot, the manual screw, and rebuilding the DB and those only buy me some time. Can I disconnect the eject button entirely from the inside or will that keep me from ejecting with the controller for some reason? I will need to open it up anyway since the fans have started running in rest mode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

squirreltactic posted:

Has anyone found a permanent way to fix the launch PS4 eject problem? I've monkeyed with the rubber foot, the manual screw, and rebuilding the DB and those only buy me some time. Can I disconnect the eject button entirely from the inside or will that keep me from ejecting with the controller for some reason? I will need to open it up anyway since the fans have started running in rest mode.

Yeah, you can just totally disable the eject button and it will still eject with the controller just fine. From what I understand that does solve the problem completely.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

Games you paid money for in the store (or whose list price was free for everyone) do not require an active Plus subscription. Games you got for free as Plus perks do require an active subscription. So if you bought Bloodborne specifically and let Plus lapse or never started it you would be able to play (with no MP features).

Thanks again. The interest in offline play is because I usually carry my 360 to a small house my wife owns and there is no way to get internet there outside phone internet so being able to play my games offline is important so I don't need to get disc versions for that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Infidel Castro posted:

This is why you shouldn't buy console versions of games if you want modding support.
I thought it was a pie in the sky notion to begin with, if I hadn't gotten Fallout 4 as a gift I wouldn't have gotten it for PS4 as it is. I'd suffer through whatever crappy quality I have to set on my PC so that I can actually use mods.

I probably should have done the same for No Man's Sky but after seeing how unstable it was on console I didn't even want to chance extra PC headaches.
I know they're talking about previous games, but I have to imagine this becomes another way that companies try to get that bump to a $70 or $80 new release game price point they've been craving for a while now

Not today or even this year, but eventually the Pro version of a new game is almost certainly going to cost more

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

CottonWolf posted:

Paying money for HD remasters, gently caress this poo poo.

I mean, as I say, I'm not going to buy any of them, but I can't see any difference between someone paying for a HD remaster and this. And people seem to be perfectly happy with doing that.

How long will it take before stability and bug fixes are exclusive to paid pro patches?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Guillermus posted:

Thanks again. The interest in offline play is because I usually carry my 360 to a small house my wife owns and there is no way to get internet there outside phone internet so being able to play my games offline is important so I don't need to get disc versions for that.

Yeah even if you buy a game on a sale that's available for PS+ subscribers only, you'll still have it when your subscription lapses. The only stuff you lose is the "free" PS+ games (and you can still play those without an active internet connection if your PS+ subscription is still going, btw)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I expect in a few days that statement is going to be called a misunderstanding/mistranslation.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

katkillad2 posted:

How long will it take before stability and bug fixes are exclusive to paid pro patches?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that will never happen. Stability and bug fixes will be exclusive to free pro patches.

Unless the game is already out and is currently broken, but then there are bigger problems.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Minidust posted:

Yeah that's kinda where I'm at. I'm assuming the improvements to 1080p gaming will be few and far between for existing titles (seems like there's not much return for publishers really), with a few outliers like Tomb Raider stepping up to the plate and doing something cool. Aren't developers required to include a "Pro Mode" or something moving forward though? If so, I'd expect the 1080p improvements to be pretty common in new games. It should be easy to implement if a game is developed with a Pro/basic distinction in mind (much easier than patching an old game after the fact at least). If there's gonna be a lack of effort somewhere, it's probably gonna be in optimizing stuff for the non-Pro. As much as I'd like to save $100, as a potential new PS4 guy I feel like a Pro is the only way to guarantee a good experience for upcoming games, 4K or not.

This is probably the attitude Sony is counting on, regardless of the quality of a game's actual content.

My question would be: what good are the latest and greatest visual tricks if they're applied to wet garbage like Call of Duty or Madden?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

MZ posted:

You might get slightly better looking games (*if* the developer chooses to patch them) and a slightly better framerate. But don't expect 30fps games to suddenly be 60fps or anything like that. Honestly, go for a normal PS4, it's significantly cheaper, for your purposes it isn't worth the extra cash if you don't have a 4k tv.

Sorry should have noted I already have a ps4- I'm giving it to one of my friends as a housewarming gift. I can coast on my xbone and PC for a month or two, just wanted to make sure there is at least SOME potential upside, if that makes sense? :)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/774285508553773057

That explains it all. Xbone is a UWP PC, no problem converting anything existing to it, PS4 ain't that far away in the hands of anybody with a devkit, but for mod-makers, how the hell. Sony should have been on that ball and explained it sooner.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My question would be: what good are the latest and greatest visual tricks if they're applied to wet garbage like Call of Duty or Madden?
Visual tricks are all they have remaining anyway

Every year with Madden it's like "hey look these players are gonna look super amazing this time" then the game comes out and they look the same as always

And the trailer for CoD is always a bunch of special effects cutscene poo poo when the majority of their players' time is going to be spent on multiplayer and each player might see those cutscenes once if they don't mash Skip

though the people who fancy themselves a+ snipers will want the highest resolution possible in their shootmans

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I like how Sony was like, "Yeah, it'll all work" and then balked at the idea of doing anything on their end to help get around things that were their own fault.

"You want more than 900 MB of space to hold all the mods, are you mad?" *Approves of 20 GB patch for 60 GB game*

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ometeotl posted:

I like how Sony was like, "Yeah, it'll all work" and then balked at the idea of doing anything on their end to help get around things that were their own fault.

"You want more than 900 MB of space to hold all the mods, are you mad?" *Approves of 20 GB patch for 60 GB game*
although if the Bethesda mod server is as slow as the one that downloads Elder Scrolls Online for PS4, it would take a year to even download that 900 MB

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

A few pages back I asked about transferring my 2TB HDD's library from a PS4 to a Pro and was kind of unhappy to hear I'd need to leapfrog it rather than being able to transfer it directly. Then I found this on the PS blog:

"Q: What if I already own a standard PS4? Is there an easy way to transfer my games, saved data, and Share captured content from a standard PS4 to PS4 Pro?
Yes. You will be able to copy your games, saved data, captured videos and screenshots, system settings, and other content from a standard PS4 to PS4 Pro using a standard Ethernet cable. This process will also work from standard PS4 to standard PS4, PS4 Pro to standard PS4, and PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro provided that both units have system software update 4.00 or higher installed, and the same PSN account is signed into both systems."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Is this new news?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Sony please I didn't think you'd start loving it up this soon :jerky:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ellaybee posted:

A few pages back I asked about transferring my 2TB HDD's library from a PS4 to a Pro and was kind of unhappy to hear I'd need to leapfrog it rather than being able to transfer it directly. Then I found this on the PS blog:

"Q: What if I already own a standard PS4? Is there an easy way to transfer my games, saved data, and Share captured content from a standard PS4 to PS4 Pro?
Yes. You will be able to copy your games, saved data, captured videos and screenshots, system settings, and other content from a standard PS4 to PS4 Pro using a standard Ethernet cable. This process will also work from standard PS4 to standard PS4, PS4 Pro to standard PS4, and PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro provided that both units have system software update 4.00 or higher installed, and the same PSN account is signed into both systems."

Is this new news?

They hadn't spoken about it before. Makes me wonder if there will be a process to switch between 2 slims/launch PS4s too.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ellaybee posted:

A few pages back I asked about transferring my 2TB HDD's library from a PS4 to a Pro and was kind of unhappy to hear I'd need to leapfrog it rather than being able to transfer it directly. Then I found this on the PS blog:Is this new news?
The PS3 has a Data Transfer Utility that does this exact thing already (transferring via Ethernet cable). I guess I never thought about it, but does the PS4 not currently have this ability?

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I'm just guessing and probably wrong but I don't see how most existing games won't run better on the PS4Pro.

Think about it. Okay maybe they had performance problems so they locked the max framerate at 30 FPS so you get used to the 15 fps garbage. Like Fallout 4. If you then release an updated console with a faster CPU and a faster GPU, would the minimum framerate not improve?

I'm not saying games locked at 30 fps are shrines to the gameplay gods. It's just okay. You know what sucks, though, are the dips to teen and single digit framerates. If you can smooth out the gameplay and keep things constant you'll have a good experience.

If developers bother to patch old games to actually increase the locked framerate that's just a nice bonus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The problem is that sometimes games are designed so exactly to a console's spec that even making it faster across the board will break things. Emulators run into this problem all the time and they have to model signal propagation across circuits to get the timings exactly right. The Souls games had a bunch of bugs caused by switching from 30 to 60fps. Easier for everyone involved to make the Pro behave *exactly* like a base PS4 unless explicitly told otherwise by the developer.

I'm not sure how this would affect a game that's CPU or GPU capped and already running at a variable frame rate but still, better safe than sorry running an expensive testing and re-certification program like MS does for its backwards compatibility.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 9, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ellaybee posted:

Is this new news?
This still sucks because I have 2 tb hdd as well and this is not a solution. So now, I transfer my 2 tb of info to a 1 tb drive and... ummm... Now what? How do I now get my old drive in the new Pro?

Or I guess I could just buy a whole new 2 tb drive and put it in the PS4 Pro first? That's not gonna happen either.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Has anyone seen the Overwatch Free Weekend available in the store yet? I think it's supposed to be live, but it isn't showing up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And the ps4 pro has a different build, so who knows if we'll ever be able to get a desktop drive in there for folks who need over 2tb.

If they make a 4tb that'll fit in there and I can transfer into that, then I'll sell my current set up and get the pro.

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!

Jolarix posted:

Has anyone seen the Overwatch Free Weekend available in the store yet? I think it's supposed to be live, but it isn't showing up.

I haven't seen it either. I wanted to try it first to see if I would like it or not.

I see Overwatch is on sale on PSN for $50 starting today.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Nija posted:

I'm just guessing and probably wrong but I don't see how most existing games won't run better on the PS4Pro.

Think about it. Okay maybe they had performance problems so they locked the max framerate at 30 FPS so you get used to the 15 fps garbage. Like Fallout 4. If you then release an updated console with a faster CPU and a faster GPU, would the minimum framerate not improve?

I'm not saying games locked at 30 fps are shrines to the gameplay gods. It's just okay. You know what sucks, though, are the dips to teen and single digit framerates. If you can smooth out the gameplay and keep things constant you'll have a good experience.

If developers bother to patch old games to actually increase the locked framerate that's just a nice bonus.

I'll see if I can find the twitter response, but Sony's been asked about this - basically if existing games will see an uptick (esp games that are not framerate locked) due to the new hardware, like games on the Xbox One S do without patches. The answer was no - they'll run exactly the same. Any improvements at all will need a Pro patch.

I don't see how unless when a game is running a non-patched Pro version it will downclock the CPU to 1.6ghz, but that's the official word for now which is disappointing.

edit: Sid is the PS blog/social media director

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 9, 2016

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

haveblue posted:

I expect in a few days that statement is going to be called a misunderstanding/mistranslation.

Or minutes even.

quote:

Update: A representative for Sony told Polygon that the company "will not charge consumers for patches." We've asked Sony to clarify whether that applies only to games published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and will update when we hear back.

Jack Sipich, founder of developer Absinthe Games, said in a NeoGAF post that developers "are not allowed to charge you for patches or [PS4 Pro] feature updates."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah not surprise that was a mistranslated. It probably means that the developers still have to pay sony to do an update for a pro patch.

Not consumers. That would be very horrible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That has been the case forever, for all consoles, that is why devs do megapatches rather than trickling them in like on PC

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That has been the case forever, for all consoles, that is why devs do megapatches rather than trickling them in like on PC

I thought the first patch was free on sony, and then anything after that they pay.

I figure it was MS that just did it from the get go.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CrashCat posted:

Visual tricks are all they have remaining anyway

Every year with Madden it's like "hey look these players are gonna look super amazing this time" then the game comes out and they look the same as always

And the trailer for CoD is always a bunch of special effects cutscene poo poo when the majority of their players' time is going to be spent on multiplayer and each player might see those cutscenes once if they don't mash Skip

though the people who fancy themselves a+ snipers will want the highest resolution possible in their shootmans

The best game I've played recently was SOMA, which looks like rear end from a purely technical perspective. Except that its art direction, writing, music, and overall ambience was amazing.

Uncharted 4 was a graphical marvel, but I'll go out on a limb and say that sharper textures, HDR, and more intense foliage/rain etc. wouldn't elevate it to some new experience. The Last of Us, for example (even on PS3!), has 1/10th of the visual spectacle of UC4...and it's still 10x more engaging.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shindragon posted:

I thought the first patch was free on sony, and then anything after that they pay.

I figure it was MS that just did it from the get go.

That might be, but I imagine launch day patches blow that free one anyways

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That might be, but I imagine launch day patches blow that free one anyways

Oh for sure. My point was mostly that question for the pro patch charge was probably misinterpreted.

It's more like well yeah no poo poo, still charging devs for that pro patch. Nothing changed.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

This still sucks because I have 2 tb hdd as well and this is not a solution. So now, I transfer my 2 tb of info to a 1 tb drive and... ummm... Now what? How do I now get my old drive in the new Pro?

Or I guess I could just buy a whole new 2 tb drive and put it in the PS4 Pro first? That's not gonna happen either.

I haven't looked lately but I think I might still be under 1TB (and could probably find enough stuff to delete if not). I don't want to buy a new 2TB drive either but I may have had to anyway to hold the data while leapfrogging from the old to the new machine. I'm glad at least that it sounds like a direct transfer rather than a multiple-step process.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

ram though not hdd right? I though Mods are stored in ram when running the game.

Also play modded games on pc where you can actually have what you want. Macho man dragons will not be on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

Macho man dragons will not be on console.
gently caress, definitely not buying

Can we get the singing bears at least though? I guess piderman spiders are out too :argh:

• Locked thread