Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Fritzler posted:

I feel bad for Graveler. What happens to his two little arms when he evolves?

It kinda goes back and forth between arms and "just kinda looks like arms".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

less laughter posted:

They previewed new official merch today featuring all legendaries and mythicals revealed up to Magearna, and Phione isn't on it. So I guess that finally settles that age old debate Bulbapedia's been having with itself for over a decade now?

Wished they'd demote heatran so I could breed that sucker

Heatran is a legendary with absolutely no bombast other than "lives in volcanoes"

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Does anyone have the link to the Showdown replay where the guy uses a Pyroar with Entrainment to give a Garchomp Moxie, then sweeps everything with Earthquake?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Heatran is a legendary with absolutely no bombast other than "lives in volcanoes"

It's actually hella bombastic

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My Heatran is named Humphrey.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mine's named Corey.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have three i named one smeltasaur

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does anyone have the link to the Showdown replay where the guy uses a Pyroar with Entrainment to give a Garchomp Moxie, then sweeps everything with Earthquake?
This one?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

None of those parts for the head area look similar to where he's getting them from.

Also on Accelgor:

PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond posted:

He knows the loneliness of running, but he keeps running. He is fighting against something in his mind, but no one knows what he is fighting against.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There should be more Snails and Eels

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Yes, that's the one! Thank you!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Golden Goat posted:

Also on Accelgor:

Esoteric as hell reference for pocket monsters

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Improbable Lobster posted:

There should be more Snails and Eels

How will they ever top this snail tho

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one day accelgor won't have to run anymore and i hope to be there

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

FishBulb posted:

Esoteric as hell reference for pocket monsters

What is it a reference to, besides the wandering hero cliché?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

i was looking at the picture and wondering what the hell that ugly thing was in the bottom right

apparently i have never actually seen Heatran before

i thought heatran was the anteater guy but apparently that is Heatmor who is unrelated i guess

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

less laughter posted:

How will they ever top this snail tho

By making it evolve into something good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hardcordion posted:

What is it a reference to, besides the wandering hero cliché?

The title and subtext of this book

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Heatran owns

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Heatran is the epitome of "Filler Legend". I wish that it would have just been, say, an evolution for Magcargo or something. Much like how Diancie should just be Carbink's evolution.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

Heatran is the epitome of "Filler Legend". I wish that it would have just been, say, an evolution for Magcargo or something. Much like how Diancie should just be Carbink's evolution.

why do people keep thinking Magcargo should/does have an evolution?

heatran and torkoal can be their own thing and magcargo can be its. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Heatran is the epitome of "Filler Legend".

no the pixies are

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

why do people keep thinking Magcargo should/does have an evolution?

heatran and torkoal can be their own thing and magcargo can be its. :colbert:

It's really more that Magcargo need help the most. When Torkoal does everything you can better, it's time to reevaluate life. That and I wish Hetran had some connection to anything since it doesn't have so much as a bit of lore. As of now, its as out of place as Volcanion, but nowhere near as well designed to seem impressive.

less laughter posted:

no the pixies are

They got to be relevant in Platinum.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
There should only be 2 or 3 legendaries on each generation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Agreed. We don't need so many just to fill slots. Keep the plot relevant ones, hold the rest off to use later on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ka0 posted:

Even the gens with the fewest Legendaries had 5 (Gen 1).

I feel like 5 or 6 is a good number. X/Y had too few new ones in-game, for instance, because literally half of them were mystics given out as gifts. Like Xerneas/Yveltal were story catches and then Zygarde was the only one you had to explore for. I liked tracking down the Legendary birds, for instance, and feel like 3 non-plot critical dudes is a decent number.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

no the pixies are

the pixies should have become fairy type.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zore posted:

Even the gens with the fewest Legendaries had 5 (Gen 1).

I feel like 5 or 6 is a good number. X/Y had too few new ones in-game, for instance, because literally half of them were mystics given out as gifts. Like Xerneas/Yveltal were story catches and then Zygarde was the only one you had to explore for. I liked tracking down the Legendary birds, for instance, and feel like 3 non-plot critical dudes is a decent number.

A trio, 2 version legends, a secret legend, and a Mythical is a pretty good setup.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Alabaster White posted:

A trio, 2 version legends, a secret legend, and a Mythical is a pretty good setup.

What's the line between Legend and Mythical? IMO it should be whether the Maison (/equivalent) lets you use it or not, but I don't know the "real" delineation.
Another good rule for legendary mons is if they can't make it part of the game's story, it shouldn't exist. Distribution-only legendaries are bullshit. "Oh hey I'm a stranger, hello child, take this one of a kind Pokemon off my hands please! And you'll never care about it because only babies use mythical-level Pokemon and you didn't even go on a quest to find it and capture it in a hard-won victory. Byee"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is stupid.

Whoever made this is stupid.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Diet Poison posted:

What's the line between Legend and Mythical? IMO it should be whether the Maison (/equivalent) lets you use it or not, but I don't know the "real" delineation.
Another good rule for legendary mons is if they can't make it part of the game's story, it shouldn't exist. Distribution-only legendaries are bullshit. "Oh hey I'm a stranger, hello child, take this one of a kind Pokemon off my hands please! And you'll never care about it because only babies use mythical-level Pokemon and you didn't even go on a quest to find it and capture it in a hard-won victory. Byee"
I assumed mythical was the event-only one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Heatran is cool as hell and his Magma Storm sets are funny

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Mythics can't be caught in game without an event.

Deoxys is the first Mythical ever to break this in ORAS.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 9, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Diet Poison posted:

Mythical pokemon are the cute mew-like ones. I think they also always have 100 in each base stat.

EDIT: well according to bulbapedia other pokemon like deoxys and darkrai are also mythical so idk

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 9, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Deoxys is the first Mythical ever to break this in ORAS.

Technically, Manaphy in gen IV was first.

e: actually now that I think about it, Jirachi in gen III could also be gotten without an event

less laughter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 9, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Actually, it's Jirachi. It's only ever been available through events.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Technically, Manaphy in gen IV was first.

e: actually now that I think about it, Jirachi in gen III could also be gotten without an event

I guess technically?

I count having to buy another game for a code as an event because you can't run around in any game and actually catch Manaphy or Jirachi.

Deoxys you can straight catch no bullshit if you buy ORAS which is not the case with any other Mythic and wasn't the case for Deoxys until ORAS.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 9, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I thought the split was just "can get this in-game in the generation it was introduced" = Legendary, "not available in-game in generation it was introduced" = Mythical

but who knows anymore, the lines are so blurry

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Kelp Plankton posted:

I thought the split was just "can get this in-game in the generation it was introduced" = Legendary, "not available in-game in generation it was introduced" = Mythical

but who knows anymore, the lines are so blurry

It is this. Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Meloetta, Keldeo, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion are mythics. Probably Magearna too. The rest are legendaries.

You could also say Deoxys was downgraded from mythic to legendary in ORAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Beat Red just now. My final team was Articuno, Rhydon, Kabutops, Blastoise, Rapidash, and Dragonair. Everyone was around level 45, except Articuno who was 53.

All that's left to do is evolve Dragonair, catch Mewtwo, and trade over the starters(+Vaporeon) from Yellow and I'll have a full pokedex.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 9, 2016