Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think Takeda's bonus is very good. At least for me. I'm not very capable with cavalry in Shogun 2, and to be successful with Takeda you basically have to use cavalry effectively. The distances between provinces are not fun. I don't like being landlocked/surrounded.

And yeah Ikko Ikki can be unfun. You have to be really patient with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koramei posted:

I never found Takeda too hard, what's the issue with them? You start in mountain heaven where you can funnel your enemies into really predictable spots and lock down multiple locations with a single pass really easily. And your bonus is good too.

The hardest start in my opinion is Ikko Ikki. Maybe I just can't play to their strengths but I've tried them a few times now and never really got where I wanted to be in time. You have all the problems of Otomo but without their strength in gunpowder, and you're in an insanely open part of the map that's really hard to defend.

Ikko Ikki taught me that it's possible in Shogun 2 to deficit spend and just race to the finish line before total economic collapse. I had to crank taxes to the max to afford the upkeep on my armies, and incurred some negative growth penalties as I was just extracting wealth from each region.

The public order penalty for wrong religion is quite a bear. I took Kyoto as my 6th province and barely eked out a win

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'd like one set a few centuries to a millenia or two before Rome2. Egyptians, Sumerians and Persians, oh my!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Piggyback off BF1 and make a game covering, oh, 1840-1920. Get a few near-Napoleonic fights in there, and then suddenly oh poo poo it's the Crimean War and the American Civil War and then the rest of the game is spent hoping that somehow you've figured out how to circumvent trenches.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How to play ikko ikki

Step one: Don't.

----------------

I'd actually recommend just migrating up to the the edge of the map somewhere and working your way in. gently caress your original province.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mori are really fun with their wako pirates. Basically super cheap swordsmen with katana samurai stats and less armor who get vanguard deployment.

But my favorite for raw challenge are the oda and the uesugi.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oda are super fun cause you've got a stupidly hard start position but your bonus to ashigaru is hilariously good and once you break out you can just stomp samurai armies with your peasant pikemen no problem.

Also aren't the Tokugawa one of the hardest starts?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

StashAugustine posted:

Oda are super fun cause you've got a stupidly hard start position but your bonus to ashigaru is hilariously good and once you break out you can just stomp samurai armies with your peasant pikemen no problem.

To be fair, once you have a general with stand and fight, every factions peasant (kind of) army will win. Just have two units of Katana Samurai cut their way up a flank once the battle begins, your guys will hold forever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dogstile posted:

How to play ikko ikki

Step one: Don't.

----------------

I'd actually recommend just migrating up to the the edge of the map somewhere and working your way in. gently caress your original province.

Yeah but Ikko Ikki get swarms of ashigaru and they get loanswords, which are wrecking balls against yari ashigaru

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Also aren't the Tokugawa one of the hardest starts?

I like Oda because everyone but the Hattori hate you so you can just go nuts invading whoever from the start:

So I don't know if anyone's like me and had trouble getting Rome 1 working on a modern rig, but if you want to it to be set at a non headache frame rate for 1080p, then just type "-ne" into launch options on Steam. Plan on playing again tonight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Uesugi can be really drat hard to start with because you have rear end in a top hat neighbors to the north, and if you don't take care of the Takeda early, you will have a hell of a time getting to them. Their unique units are also a ways down the research line, and expensive, so you need to be touchy with your armies. And once you've consolidated most of your surrounding territory, naval invasions start happening. Kenshin might be the Dragon of Echigo, but it is a tough fight the whole way through.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Koramei posted:

What difficulty are you on? Also not having cavalry 9 hours in is a bit perplexing to me; what turn are you on? The early game is generally kind of repetitive but that shouldn't be the case 9 hours in so much.

A lot of the game does just boil down to hammer/anvil rinse repeat over and over again, so a lot of the variety comes from battles being forced in locations you're not prepared for them and you having to prepare a last minute defense, but there should still be some significant variation. They should also be charging you as a line, I don't really get 1 on 1 unit brawls unless I've been meandering my army around theirs like crazy and they got spread apart.

Maybe try some of the scripted battles and see how you like those.
Maybe on normal it's doable but - again on normal - I rarely run cav. General's BG does any chasing down after the rout, and I maybe bring light cav around in 2 or 3 at best for the same job or for quick rear charges. And maybe it's cause it's light cav but even getting really micromanage-y I can still lose a good percentage of a unit of light cav just doing charges and backing out immediately on engaged troops. I guess I never really tried any of other cav to have an opinion. I just load up on katana/naginata samurai to be the front line and then just crush everything in my way.

Like compare this to even playing Rome in R1/R2, I will easily put 4+ equites in a stack even though they are probably garbage cav compared to everyone else's.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yari Cav are fun as general assassin units. Sneak those bad mamma jammas around the back, and bee-line them at the enemy general from both sides.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah Yari Cavalry are basically super-charged Light Cavalry with significantly more survivability and a bigger unit size, and then you have Katana Cavalry for staying power in fights rather than needing to cycle charges.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think i've only bothered with cav in about 2 of my 12 shogun 2 campaigns.

And by that I mean using it for a purpose other than light cav charging people down. My Takeda cav army campaign was fun though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A stack of 8 cav units with a spare general is sometimes nice to have floating around. They add some great punch as reinforcements when a bigger army is engaged.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Koramei posted:

Are you kidding, their start is hard as balls, they're a different religion so everybody hates them. Once you consolidate Kyushu they become really easy but that's true of all the smaller island factions.

It's been a while but I think the general consensus was Chosokabe as the easiest. They start stronger than their neighbors and it's easy to consolidate their island and then punch out at anyone from relative safety.

I've not played on the highest difficulty, but every other game I've played as the Otomo were relatively easy. It's just hard to do on a short game because you can't really do much until you cowed the other factions around you. The religion penalties are annoying, but once you start benefiting from their bonuses and early access to some very dangerous units (tercos, donderbusses, nanban trade ships) it becomes a matter of just funneling enemies into your firing lines and then charging at them! Getting trade off the ground is tricky, but manageable enough.

canyoneer posted:

A stack of 8 cav units with a spare general is sometimes nice to have floating around. They add some great punch as reinforcements when a bigger army is engaged.

I've only done that once or twice, but it really can be fun!

Generally, though, I find cavalry to be pretty iffy in Shogun 2. I don't have as many issues with it as I did in Empire, but often times they seem far to fragile for their own good. Yari cavalry, for example, seem to be less useful than lancers in Napoleon, at least in my experience. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of how CA break down cavalry types, but then again I could probably say the same about how they most unit types in their games. In Shogun, since I rely mainly on spears and blackpowder, mixed with bows and melee units of course, I mainly keep cavalry around to screen my forces and prevent enemy horses from getting behind the line, whether they're static or on the move. Maybe they're more important in multiplayer?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Ikko was a good and fun time for me. I could never get past turn 50 with Usegi (?) on VH. Always three fronts with those guys: poo poo just falls apart.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

disjoe posted:

The hardest faction IMO, Takeda, won the most important prize of the Sengoku period: our hearts and minds.

they have the best color scheme so it was inevitable

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh good. More spears and bows vs other spears and bows.
yeah that sounds awful

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

chairface posted:

I'd like one set a few centuries to a millenia or two before Rome2. Egyptians, Sumerians and Persians, oh my!

Oh good. More spears and bows vs other spears and bows.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

chairface posted:

I'd love a Bronze Age Collapse Total War, but I don't think it would have much of anything new to offer in relation to Rome 2 and Attila, unless they went the mythic route.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'd be nice if they were like 'gently caress it, lets just do a Total War in Europe from 1300 to 1870 and call it a day' and do it right, even make the AI at least know the basics. I'd be happy with that honestly.

Anyways, now that I have finally got around to kicking Napoleon out of Spain in vanilla TW which took me SIX YEARS to get around to doing, I'm giving a modded NTW a go. I will be attempting to see what Masters Of Europe is like. If it is good I'll post more. If you get silence assume it is the usual overly modded made tedious for ~challenge~ reasons you usually get with Total War mods.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That would be by far the most ambitious Total War ever and either nobody would ever play to the end dates and so miss half the content, or each turn would be like 4 years so none of the eras would be fleshed out at all.

I think a bronze age total war could be cool but yeah not sure it'd add much that Rome 2 didn't have. I was hoping they'd do an expansion for that game set in the period but that ship's sailed at this point.

Still holding my breath for a broader East Asian title though. I felt like it's basically inevitable but it's been 16 years now and still nothing so maybe not

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Koramei posted:

That would be by far the most ambitious Total War ever and either nobody would ever play to the end dates and so miss half the content

Lets be honest now, this is nothing new. Half the campaigns this entire thread start never go anywhere.

Also what, you forgot that Short/Medium/Long campaigns were a thing? It'd be an interesting thing for them to do if they did it. I'd be happy to wait half a decade for it too. I'm sort of sad now I can't play half the Total War games in different settings because with each release quality of life and UI changes widen the gulf.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ikko ikki live and die by the fact their loan swords are bullshit

monks cost too much. ronin cost too much. just need more peasants with swords.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Koramei posted:

That would be by far the most ambitious Total War ever and either nobody would ever play to the end dates and so miss half the content, or each turn would be like 4 years so none of the eras would be fleshed out at all.

I think a bronze age total war could be cool but yeah not sure it'd add much that Rome 2 didn't have. I was hoping they'd do an expansion for that game set in the period but that ship's sailed at this point.

Still holding my breath for a broader East Asian title though. I felt like it's basically inevitable but it's been 16 years now and still nothing so maybe not

Considering how much they don't address even in the fairly familiar context of Western Europe and the Middle East (like the Wars of Religions, Ottoman-Persian Wars, anything further east or across the Atlantic...) I wouldn't really hold my breath about a broader East Asian one, unless they make something like a Three Kingdoms era game for China. While I really liked some of the RotTK games, I personally want to see either a good pike and shot game, or a "long 18th century" Empire 2 that would cover all of the conflicts within said period up to the Napoleonic Wars. You could have a bunch of reasonable DLC options and could draw on pretty well documented conflicts in other parts of the world (like across Asia) to inject some flavor into those additional campaigns/factions. (maybe even have a campaign about one of the Qianlong Emperor's military escapades - a period not even many war games deal with)

Bronze age could be fun though. Lots of stuff you could explore with Egypt or old powers in the Middle East. Maybe even have a Trojan War DLC!

Then again, I suspect they pick their topics based on what they feel is most marketable.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also what, you forgot that Short/Medium/Long campaigns were a thing? It'd be an interesting thing for them to do if they did it. I'd be happy to wait half a decade for it too. I'm sort of sad now I can't play half the Total War games in different settings because with each release quality of life and UI changes widen the gulf.

I'd like to see more objective based campaign options to be honest. Like a "historical" mode where you roughly have to accomplish a set of goals that are tailored for your country in the time period. Something like that could be fun.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 8, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It'd be neat too if it could be tied with a diplomacy system that wasn't shite and a politics/relgion system that matters.

Oh we're all big dreamers here in the TW Megathread.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think the obvious next step to test the waters of a more modern Total War is the Civil War. I mean that's gotta be coming soonish right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Popete posted:

I think the obvious next step to test the waters of a more modern Total War is the Civil War. I mean that's gotta be coming soonish right?

I would go with a 19th Century Total War that covers a wide range of different conflicts while using similar mechanics. In an ideal world I would love to see another Kingdoms style expansion where there are multiple mini campaigns, like Crimea or the Civil War, or the rush for Africa.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Well I beat FotS on Legendary using Satsuma (Imperial) and Jozai (Shogun). I'm not even sure if I'm going to attempt a Legendary Republic campaign.

The trick for legendary I've found is to not make military alliances until close to realm divide

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The biggest issue with any Republic campaign is that fulfilling the province requirements is extremely tedious since you no longer have allies bumping it up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Actually the biggest issue is having to manually play out 10,000 ship battles

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
That too. The entire late game is so tedious at that point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shogun ship battles are awful. Strategically it's fun securing your trade routes, raiding your enemies, and launching naval invasions; but the combat is so tedious and the only way to make it go faster is convert, but the autoresolve can't be trusted to realize how broken Nanban ships are so you still have to fight them out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only time I ever attempted to play ship battles was Napoleon, the massive 1st rate ship of the lines firing 60+ cannons at once was awesome. I really wish they would flesh out naval combat, it's pretty clunky.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Popete posted:

The only time I ever attempted to play ship battles was Napoleon, the massive 1st rate ship of the lines firing 60+ cannons at once was awesome. I really wish they would flesh out naval combat, it's pretty clunky.

Yeah, but those things took like 12 turns to build, so losing one was a very, very bad thing :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Popete posted:

Empire had them too, but they took forever to build like the poster above says.

I'd love for them to sit down and really hash out Naval Battles. I've always felt in the development scheme of things they've always been sidelined for other features and left to the last minute, they need to seperate them from being just slow rear end paced land battles into their own thing.

Or just make naval battles a campaign only sort of EU IV style mini game thing. Which would be a shame. Clearly once cannons and muskets have been removed from the system things don't work out well at all.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It worked alright in atilla, especially when seasickness was added in to transports were the most effective navy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Attila actually has quite fun naval combat. For one thing I can actually pull off some rams, and longships are way more maneuverable than anything else we've seen in naval combat before. I love getting a bunch of dedicated marine vessels and ripping apart Huns as they try to cross the water to Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't really find naval combat that interesting in Attila, just because it kind of felt weird how maneuverable the ships are coming from Shogun 2, and how ships just instantly lock in place when they touch. I get that it makes it less of a pain, but there still isn't really much variety to ships so it just ends up as this big blob of ships boarding each other.

That said, I thought the combination land/naval stuff during siege battles was cool.