Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At the end of the day, is the price in total what you want? The doc fee isn't required, but most dealers will try to charge for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's a phenomenal price. I'm such a hard rear end. I just think doc fees are bullshit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

photomikey posted:

It's a phenomenal price. I'm such a hard rear end. I just think doc fees are bullshit.

It kind of is. It's why a lot of people recommend negotiating on an "out the door" price inclusive all whatever fees and other bullshit. They can rearrange the numbers however they want to come up with that price.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Out of curiosity, what's the vehicle and price you got it down to? Happy negotiating :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doc fees are absolute bullshit but I've never once found a dealer willing to budge on it. I've occasionally found some small variance in what they charge, but usually they all charge whatever the local legal maximum is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've specifically told dealers twice that there's no keep-a-building fee because that's part of their vehicle price and that they just want an excuse to charge more or they've got bad bookkeeping if they can't figure their overhead correctly. I then walked out.

One time they dropped the fee, another time I bought something somewhere else.

Always be willing to walk!

Doc fees are frickin idiotic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Usually dealers in a given region operate as a cartel and all charge the same standard doc fee. It's bad but unavoidable.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If you add the doc fee into the total does it feel like youre still getting a good deal? Thats the only question that matters.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah, I beat the guy up pretty good on price.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Then pretend its part of the sale price and move on.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, done deal.

I am buying the car in Phoenix. I am driving it to California and will register it in CA. Dealer wants me to pay sales tax in AZ and then show the receipt to the CA DMV folks who will then credit me for that tax paid.

Some googling shows anecdotal evidence that that's how it works. Can anyone confirm this?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Let's talk Canadian cars. Local dealer is selling a 61k Mazda3 priced at 61,000 miles. I'm 99% certain it's only 61,000 kilometers. I'm having my guy check it out right now, but am I asking for it with this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is it a mazda3 with 50 grand of blow in the trunk or what

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it a mazda3 with 50 grand of blow in the trunk or what

Maybe he meant 16k?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nah, he means like, 60k miles is a lot more actual distance traveled than 60k kilometers

I don't know how you'd tell if it's reading one or the other, I don't think it displays units. But if you're right and it's actually displaying kilometers aren't they pricing the car too LOW? Roll the dice and snap it up, either way 61k miles isn't that much.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I meant 61,000 on the odometer. They're asking $10k.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I checked on the test drive against mile markers. 99% certain it's KM.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr. Powers posted:

I checked on the test drive against mile markers. 99% certain it's KM.

So it's their mistake if they hosed it up and priced it as if it had 1.6 times more wear on it than it actually has.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, I guess I'm concerned its going to cause problems if I try to sell it down the road, though. All the registration records are km = miles, so I can have people entering it in properly or it looks like a rollback.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Depreciation is nonlinear, so even if you end up selling it with 100k miles instead of km, you'll still come out ahead.

Essentially, you're saving $1500 on the price now and you'll sell it for $500 less than normal.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, I have it now. I'm pretty happy with the deal. I'm less happy with constantly having to convert C to F for outside temperature. This is going to be immersion therapy for metric.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There should be a way to change the display units. Maybe not the odo but the other stuff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of cars have a press this button while licking your nuts to switch to miles

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr. Powers posted:

Well, I have it now. I'm pretty happy with the deal. I'm less happy with constantly having to convert C to F for outside temperature. This is going to be immersion therapy for metric.

That would drive me insane but congrats, they're very fun cars.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tater_salad posted:

A lot of cars have a press this button while licking your nuts to switch to miles

I called a Mazda dealership while getting the car checked out and the only way to do that is to replace the cluster, which would roll it back to 0000. Other posters are likely correct about the outside temperature units.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with 58k miles on it. It overall runs good and I've followed the recommended maintenance for it. So far it looks like it's not really worth too much depending on where I looks but it runs solid. Would it make more sense for me to keep the car especially since the milage is low?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with 58k miles on it. It overall runs good and I've followed the recommended maintenance for it. So far it looks like it's not really worth too much depending on where I looks but it runs solid. Would it make more sense for me to keep the car especially since the milage is low?

Do you need a car? If you don't need or want a car, you should sell all the cars you own. If you're asking if you should replace a perfectly good car for no reason, which is what it seems like, this is always a bad idea.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you need a car? If you don't need or want a car, you should sell all the cars you own. If you're asking if you should replace a perfectly good car for no reason, which is what it seems like, this is always a bad idea.

It's the latter. And I kind of figured.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

photomikey posted:

I haven't bought a used car from a dealer in a while. I am at a fair price with a dealer. Price plus tax, title, license.

He wants to charge a doc fee. My position is that drawing up documentation is part of your job, I also don't pay a "keep the lights on" fee or a "toilet paper" fee, that's just part of being a car dealer and the price of a car.

We are at a stalemate on the fee.

Tell me if I'm crazy.
To give the story some closure, I ended up buying a 2014 Mercedes SLK 250 from an out-of-state dealer for about $3-4k less than I thought I could get it locally. I got some good advice from this thread and a couple of threads in AI (particularly the Vroom thread), I appreciate all the advice!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

photomikey posted:

To give the story some closure, I ended up buying a 2014 Mercedes SLK 250 from an out-of-state dealer for about $3-4k less than I thought I could get it locally. I got some good advice from this thread and a couple of threads in AI (particularly the Vroom thread), I appreciate all the advice!

Very nice ride, congratulations. How do you like it? :)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
On top of a somewhat lovely dealer experience, I had a really lovely pre-purchase inspection experience, so that soured me a bit. But I love the car!!

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I'd be interested in the details on your dealer and PPI experience. A lot of people are afraid of buying from out of state dealers, but I haven't read about a lot of people who have actually tried it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

photomikey posted:

This is exactly what I pictured.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

This is exactly what I pictured.
Is this the car, ranked 1st as most likely to be purchased after a divorce?

Phokus
Jun 27, 2007

Never bet against Captain America!
I'm in Canada and in need of a car basically just for short work commute and 100 to 400 km one way trips to see family on weekends once a month or so. I hadn't really considered nissans but am able to get fairly good deal on a couple through a friend. Just looking for opinion on choosing between a 51k km '13 altima sl or just a new sentra. The comfort of the altima seems nice both seem efficient but as stated I don't know much about nissan besides what I've read online.

Is there any obvious choice here? Should I just not buy a nissan even though I can get better price on these than other comparable cars? Main things I'm looking for are efficiency and reliability with comfort being bonus. I'm considering these because of pricing if the general consensus is neither for these I can fill out template and look at other brands.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why Nissan?
They're not particularly compelling and aren't really known for quality/longevity.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

Congrats. If it has runflats get rid of them by driving them down to nothing at a track or something.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

H110Hawk posted:

Congrats. If it has runflats get rid of them by driving them down to nothing at a track or something.

Do goons hate those or something?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone hates them. They tend to ride harsh and not handle as well as comparable normal tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Do goons hate those or something?

They're really hard and often from the factory mediocre compared to comparably priced (or even cheaper) higher performing tires. Going from factory all-season runflats to Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's was night and day difference. I mean sure they don't last nearly as long but this is a midlife crisis don't let money stop you.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...rSortCode=53950

(This assumes a 18" diameter and the "sport package.")