Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
This election is giving me crazy strong 2000-style "they're all the same, man" vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol, gently caress

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The annoying thing is that Democrats have wildly overstated the threat Putin poses to American interests because they think it helps attack Trump. Like, there are still people talking about how he's going to hack voting machines this fall.

Obama's approach to Russia seems a lot more constructive. Hopefully his policy of pushing back on those in the DoD / NATO who want to funnel arms to Ukraine through Poland holds up in the next administration, but....

I haven't really heard much from Dems about Putin being a direct threat to America - just that he's a brutal, authoritarian leader who is currently helping prop up another brutal, authoritarian leader in Syria.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/774293245186740224

I'm the first response that says "actually these numbers are good for Trump."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DaveWoo posted:

I haven't really heard much from Dems about Putin being a direct threat to America - just that he's a brutal, authoritarian leader who is currently helping prop up another brutal, authoritarian leader in Syria.

and currently overtly trying to install a brutal, authoritarian leader in the US

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
have we considered that maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/774293293517725696

Guys, they're all bad!

Also calling Hillary a coal burner... Nice dog whistle CNN.

:vince:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TwinsensRevenge posted:

christ what an awful logo. looks like someone just finished playing deus ex and had a brand portfolio to turn in that day

haha I was thinking the exact same thing

altright jenson

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

and currently overtly trying to install a brutal, authoritarian leader in the US

i dont know if i believe that theres a concerted effort going on, tbh. theres just considerable overlap between Trump sleaze and Russian sleaze

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

The annoying thing is that Democrats have wildly overstated the threat Putin poses to American interests because they think it helps attack Trump. Like, there are still people talking about how he's going to hack voting machines this fall.

Obama's approach to Russia seems a lot more constructive. Hopefully his policy of pushing back on those in the DoD / NATO who want to funnel arms to Ukraine through Poland holds up in the next administration, but....

I think one thing that has been unnoticed is how deft and focused US policy has been in Ukraine

quote:

After initially supporting Shokin, U.S. and E.U. officials soured on him. To pressure Poroshenko into removing him, the Obama Administration withheld a billion dollars in loan guarantees. (Ukrainians began calling Shokin “the billion-dollar man.”) A senior official in the White House told me that Vice-President Joe Biden spoke to Poroshenko by phone every few weeks and made it clear that, as far as additional loan guarantees were concerned, “you can meet every single other condition, but until you replace this guy you are not getting this money.”

The article is also notable for this paragraph

quote:

Yanukovych’s return to power was guided by the American political strategist Paul Manafort, who helped to reinvent his client as a businesslike manager—not necessarily likable but an antidote to the disastrous political circus overseen by Yushchenko and Tymoshenko. Manafort also counselled Yanukovych to seize on the country’s geographic and linguistic divides, and play to the grievances of his home region, the Russian-speaking Donbass, in the country’s east. Leshchenko described Manafort’s approach: “He tried to create fissures within Ukrainian society and use them to score political points.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/05/reforming-ukraine-after-maidan

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Yes, it turns out that we should all vote Constitution party instead.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I gazed into the future and here are some excerpts from the debate:

MODERATOR: (to Trump) You've been associated with the so-called 'Birther Movement' in the past. Do you now think that President Obama was born in the United States?

TRUMP: Yes I do, and furthermore it was actually Hillary who started the Birther Movement in 2008. (blah blah blah)

MODERATOR: (to Trump) You seem to have an affinity with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who many have described as authoritarian. Do you think Putin is a good leader?

TRUMP: Listen, Putin is a bad man. But we need stronger leadership. Obama is weak. Hillary... (blah blah blah)

MODERATOR: (asks Hillary about emails for the seventh time)

HILLARY: Well you see, technically...

TRUMP: (interrupts) She's a liar! She's lying right now!

CNN HEADLINE AFTER DEBATE: "A strong performance for Trump...very presidential"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eonwe posted:

you're welcome to check :goatsecx:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont know if i believe that theres a concerted effort going on, tbh. theres just considerable overlap between Trump sleaze and Russian sleaze

no its worse than that u need to freak out

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

please never leave us again joe

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'm way late here, but ha ha ha at Geraldo trying to cover for his shitheadedness. gently caress that guy.

"I learned Tuesday September 6th that after being enthusiastically received, because of my uninformed support of Mr. Ailes, and the relatively flattering portrayal of him in an early manuscript of my war memoir, 'Geraldo of Arabia, From Tora Bora to Trump,' as a direct result, HarperCollins has chosen not to publish," Rivera wrote.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The thing I am most looking forward to during the debate is Hillary fact checking Trump by citing a 2012 Howard Stern appearance. If she ends her take down with "Baba booey" she will win the white male vote.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slate Action posted:

This election is giving me crazy strong 2000-style "they're all the same, man" vibes.

I blame it on voters too young to remember 2000 Bush v Gore or voters who do remember it but are too stupid to understand the fallout.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Slate Action posted:

I gazed into the future and here are some excerpts from the debate:

MODERATOR: (to Trump) You've been associated with the so-called 'Birther Movement' in the past. Do you now think that President Obama was born in the United States?

TRUMP: Yes I do, and furthermore it was actually Hillary who started the Birther Movement in 2008. (blah blah blah)

MODERATOR: (to Trump) You seem to have an affinity with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who many have described as authoritarian. Do you think Putin is a good leader?

TRUMP: Listen, Putin is a bad man. But we need stronger leadership. Obama is weak. Hillary... (blah blah blah)

MODERATOR: (asks Hillary about emails for the seventh time)

HILLARY: Well you see, technically...

TRUMP: (interrupts) She's a liar! She's lying right now!

CNN HEADLINE AFTER DEBATE: "A strong performance for Trump...very presidential"

I think you're ascribing a little too much coherence to Trump here, but basically.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/774293293517725696

Guys, they're all bad!

Also calling Hillary a coal burner... Nice dog whistle CNN.

They dont have enough pixels at CNN to fill it with Trump Things

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

i keep seeing people like Mark Ames tutting about democrats ginning up a new Red Scare

and then poo poo like Wikileaks running interference for Russia keeps coming out

and im not sure when it stops being a "Red Scare" and more "observing current events"

Jeeeez guy, I haven't seen a Mark Ames article in forever. Where are you reading him at?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

Jeeeez guy, I haven't seen a Mark Ames article in forever. Where are you reading him at?

twitter and podcast interviews mostly

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

The thing I am most looking forward to during the debate is Hillary fact checking Trump by citing a 2012 Howard Stern appearance. If she ends her take down with "Baba booey" she will win the white male vote.

In all seriousness Clinton should beware. Having the right facts and throwing them in Trumps face may not win her the debate. Is nerds think so, but debate performance is so much more than knowing stuff.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

radical meme posted:

He was doing a podcast with the War Nerd last I saw, it was pretty fun but I'm not paying $10 month for it

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Vladimir Putin posted:

In all seriousness Clinton should beware. Having the right facts and throwing them in Trumps face may not win her the debate. Is nerds think so, but debate performance is so much more than knowing stuff.

Clinton is a good debater, both in style and substance. She's proven this many times and coherently beat Obama every single time in 2008.

Her problem is less the debate and more the way that Trump voters and the media responds to Trump in general.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
heres a good interview with Ames about the right wings long-time connection with Russian interests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bRZkHQyQgM

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/774293245186740224

I'm the first response that says "actually these numbers are good for Trump."

Whenever I see posts like those I want to add them on Twitter just to bask in their election day meltdowns

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i dont think debates will matter unless one of them shits their pants or something really really really embarrassing happens
even then tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Debates are one of those dumb pieces of political theater that everybody ascribes more importance to than they deserve. The bigger unknown this year is that there are still a lot of undecided and third-party voters comparatively speaking, and sudden events closer to election day could have a larger impact.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
with the polls shifting slightly toward trump, are there any real electoral changes? I keep seeing a lot of talk about shifting polls toward trump, but if the polls aren't shifting in states where a shift matters, then the shift doesnt really matter

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

Whenever I see posts like those I want to add them on Twitter just to bask in their election day meltdowns

For reference he's down around 5-20 points in each state vs '12 exits. Most importantly a large decline in NC, Ohio, and Florida. Someone who knows more about politics should tell me about Ohio's latino population, because they seem coherently more republican than even Florida's cuban section.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so is hillary winning in like every swing state but barely winning nationally a sign that she's just losing by higher %s in red states than she's winning in blue ones?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Debates are one of those dumb pieces of political theater that everybody ascribes more importance to than they deserve. The bigger unknown this year is that there are still a lot of undecided and third-party voters comparatively speaking, and sudden events closer to election day could have a larger impact.

its amazing to me that people could be at this point and have no clue who they are voting for

you either like crazy orange clown man's strongman tactics or you don't, I dont get what there is to 'decide on'

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Eonwe posted:

with the polls shifting slightly toward trump, are there any real electoral changes? I keep seeing a lot of talk about shifting polls toward trump, but if the polls aren't shifting in states where a shift matters, then the shift doesnt really matter

Georgia and Arizona aren't actually in play. Ohio, Iowa and maybe NC and Florida are tight. That's about it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

For reference, you will see national trends manifest in state polls. It's just that its really hard for Trump to breach the 273 firewall that Clinton has. If there's a series of polls putting Clinton down in: Pennsylvania, Colorado, NH, or Virginia you are allowed to panic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TwinsensRevenge posted:

christ what an awful logo. looks like someone just finished playing deus ex and had a brand portfolio to turn in that day

I would not want to bet against that theory

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

the most dramatic thing i can see coming out of the debates is Hillary picking up a few points from soft supporters sighing heavily and saying "yeah okay fine i guess ill vote for her," much like how Romney garnered a bump from GOP support firming up behind him

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The only way the debates change the narrative is if Trump knocks it out of the park(He wont)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eonwe posted:

its amazing to me that people could be at this point and have no clue who they are voting for

you either like crazy orange clown man's strongman tactics or you don't, I dont get what there is to 'decide on'

NPR did a section yesterday interviewing an undecided millennial voter in Florida and it felt like a calibrated hit piece designed to make people hate millennials even more.

• Locked thread