Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I noticed that collection when clicking through on the post before. Good stuff.

Thanks!

This is supercool. I love the colors.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Am I a terrible human for liking this photo the more I look at it?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
DSC_4717 by Tom Olson, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Am I a terrible human for liking this photo the more I look at it?

this is a bad post

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

tau posted:

I dig this. ND filter?

Educate me please, what makes it apparent here that an ND filter was used?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

k-zed posted:

Smooth, silky water.

You can do it without an ND filter, but the filter makes it more controllable, and relying less on the weather/time of day and the abilities of your camera playing along.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

k-zed posted:

Specifically, I tried getting the same effect last weekend on a hike. I wanted the smooth, misty water effect but I didn't have an ND filter with me so I just overexposed by a couple of stops at f/22 and ISO 50 to get a 0.5s exposure in bright daylight. It sort of worked but the whites in the water were blown out and unrecoverable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I wonder if you just take a couple of tripoded 0.5s exposures if you just blend the water parts all together as a composite if it ends up looking similar.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think you'd need a lot of images in the composite to get the same level of motion blur that you'd get from a ~1s exposure.

Pointblank
Jan 1, 2004

It is a world transformed, where things are not what they seem.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I wonder if you just take a couple of tripoded 0.5s exposures if you just blend the water parts all together as a composite if it ends up looking similar.

If you're interested, this does work ok (but a filter is so much less work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZkCnPs45s

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

If you're interested, this does work ok (but a filter is so much less work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZkCnPs45s

"Filters can take a few seconds to attach, let me show you how to save time by making a composite of 19 images in Photoshop."

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Helen Highwater posted:

"Filters can take a few seconds to attach, let me show you how to save time by making a composite of 19 images in Photoshop."

Ain't nobody got time for any of that. Just go stand by a waterfall at midnight and do your single long exposure then.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 8, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 8, 2016

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I'd be careful with your contrast. I think it's being applied in a way that is too stark.

Kandy by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Karl Barks posted:

according to flickr stats, majority of people viewed this picture from search results for "young men"

One of my most-viewed pics is of a place called Hooker Valley. I'm sure you can guess what most of the viewers were searching for :ughh:

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

RangerScum posted:

I'd be careful with your contrast. I think it's being applied in a way that is too stark.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I backed it off a smidge and updated the post.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Trincomalee by Tom Olson, on Flickr

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I went for a walk, and went up in some woods.

Frederikshavn - DSC04468 by Anders Folkmar Belling Kraneled, on Flickr

Frederikshavn - DSC04474 by Anders Folkmar Belling Kraneled, on Flickr
This one I had high hopes for, but I didnt get enough of the background in focus I think.

Frederikshavn - DSC04477 by Anders Folkmar Belling Kraneled, on Flickr
This one I just liked the way the shadows kind of divided the hill in two, pretty cool.

Edit ugh I need to clean my sensor

-Anders fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 8, 2016

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Got up very early while on Vacation in Maine and shot the sunrise

DSC_0456 by Joe Pitha, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like more than one of us need to clean our sensors.

The red on the clouds is pretty badass but the water looks poop and the horizon feels crooked.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

Looks like more than one of us need to clean our sensors.

The red on the clouds is pretty badass but the water looks poop and the horizon feels crooked.

How is the water poop? Legit asking, not being all sniffy about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Compare it to the sky, where you got lots of texture and color to look at. The water is a flat grey void taking up a fifth of the image doing nothing.

Obviously there's nothing you can do about that, you can't tell the water to suddenly look badass, but maybe some of it could be cropped out or if you get a situation like that again, include a foreground subject. A boat or a person, or everyone's favorite shoreline cliche: a dock.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

xzzy posted:

Compare it to the sky, where you got lots of texture and color to look at. The water is a flat grey void taking up a fifth of the image doing nothing.

Obviously there's nothing you can do about that, you can't tell the water to suddenly look badass, but maybe some of it could be cropped out or if you get a situation like that again, include a foreground subject. A boat or a person, or everyone's favorite shoreline cliche: a dock.

I though it was pretty cool, less the giant dirt speck and crooked horizon, but my taste is poo poo.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Good points. I'll straighten the horizon and try to clone out the speck and re-crop. This time there wasn't much of anything interesting for the sea as I was on a jetty. Let me see if I have any with the jetty in them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

Okay, this is my only try polishing this turd, but is this a better edit?

Straightened, cleaned and cropped much of the water out (I don't have any jetty photos until the sun was a good deal higher and the dramatic red sky faded). This is as good as this one gets. Lesson learned for next time! I'll always be a bad photographer, but at least I won't be as bad forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's about as good as it's gonna get.

Mark it down as a life lesson, get up even earlier and find a subject beforehand. Hang on to the photo to remind you next time. This is what 99% of my Lightroom catalog is.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

For some stupid reason I always feel annoyed when I have to crop a photo to correct composition. But it's really a very necessary and legitimate part of the process of not always making lovely photography. Especially when working with medium format film.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I usually take two photos, one composed how I think I want it, then another zoomed out a little bit to give me some crop freedom later on. It also means you don't lose as much of the scene if you have to straighten it up.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Shampoo posted:

Okay, this is my only try polishing this turd, but is this a better edit?

Straightened, cleaned and cropped much of the water out (I don't have any jetty photos until the sun was a good deal higher and the dramatic red sky faded). This is as good as this one gets. Lesson learned for next time! I'll always be a bad photographer, but at least I won't be as bad forever.
Looks pretty good to me.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Here's probably my best one with the jetty in the shot:
DSC_0467 by Joe Pitha, on Flickr

And one that I took on the way back from the beach where I liked the angles.
DSC_0347 by Joe Pitha, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy