Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Any way I could think of fixing it requires actually changing the mod in the CK because it sounds like a scripting issue. The easiest would be to put a floor check in the debuff function ("if the final value is negative, set to 1"), assuming that's how it works.

Frostfall's Nexus page may have a list of known issues or someone may have mentioned it in the discussion thread for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

Turns out I was NOT on the latest Frostfall. Testing again.

I saw people bring it up in the discussion thread but I don't think they made it clear that the stat was wrapping around, so the author basically just heard "hey hypothermia is backwards" with not much more to go on. if it's still an issue I may bring it up there but I didn't want to submit a bug if there was a simple config fix

e: yep, nevermind I'm a dumb idiot and updating fixed all the things. Now I have -60 pickpocket when my hands are ice cubes, woo

Andronian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 5, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I wanted to put in my two cents on Siets ENB guide: it's good

here's my ENB guide addendum: be careful with lighting mods. It sounds so good, right? Change Skyrim's pretty mediocre lighting to be awesome like this screenshot? Sign me up! The problem is, they assume things when they tweak lighting. Some assume vanilla lighting. Some assume a specific version of a different lighting mod and some assume you live in a pitch-black cave inhabited solely by mountain dew bottles and doritos tacos locos wrappers. In the end, improperly configured lighting mods will rapidly turn your game into one where everything is pitch black and candles light up an area with a radius of approximately 7 micrometers, which is apparently what we call microns now. ENBs tend to exacerbate the issue by nature of how they work - they modify lighting, so now you're modifying a modification which may also be modifying a modification. It's gonna look like poo poo. So read the ENB's instructions twice and pass on anything with a huge pile of pre-req mods.

Or just install a known good ENB and be done with it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
In my experience, it's best just to turn on the key ENB graphical enhancements, like detailed shadows, soft particles and soft particle lights, but to leave out the color/lightning tweaks (i.e. use UseOriginalPostProcessing=true and UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=true).

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 6, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I made a thing. I retextured the Etched Shrines tablets from the path up to High Hrothgar. I then found out somebody had already made one, but mine is esp-less, so I'll leave it up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I'm trying to figure out why at 100 Enchanting, my results range from "As good as the best possible generic drops (Such as 40% two-handed, when the highest I've looted is 30%)", to "ALMOST" as good", "About half as good as generic drops". To "What the loving christ, 15% discount/10% regen

That last one at least I saw some mention of that effect being buggy, amidst a million useless results of "Did you try, having 100 Enchanting/Using a grand soul?" trying to google up some enchanting being fine while other enchanting was poo poo. Though I'd have hoped USLEEP would have handled such a jarring discrepancy, and leaves me still wondering about the other off kilter results.

To be fair, I did decide to see if enchanting would finally be worth it via console commands to quickly ramp up the experience. Was being highly discouraged seeing poo poo elemental resist results even at legit gained 50s enchanting despite reasonable weapon attack enchants I was happy to use. So I wanted to see if it would be worth the several tons of enchanted daggers to go from 50's to top. Alas, Element resists fall under "100 enchanting gets me less than half of 70" for whatever's going on.

My Mods that have any (known) effect on enchanting would be-
USLEEP
SPERG
Skyrim weapon and armor fixes remade
Passive weapon enchantment recharging.

To a lesser degree, armored circlets by quickfire because crafted circlets can be enchanted.

I suppose one workaround would be just shrugging consoleing in generic items to use, if I don't see them in any shops. Oh no, I'll have to suck it up and wear either Daedric or Dragon boots I'm capable of crafting anyways if I want the very best, instead of sticking with ebony and circlets because I like their looks better :geno:

At least this particular character is a Heavy two-hander who has been slinging spells on the side for variety. So not being able to craft up my own special snowflake equipment (Barkeep wizard!) isn't as annoying as if I were trying for sneaky or straight casting, if I can't work out what the deal with this is.

Really the biggest ballbuster for this character personally (Not using a shield), was no naturally occurring rings of element resist meaning all my looted/purchased stuff covers only two out of three elements at once via boots+Neck, when I was having all three of them thrown in my face at the same time :supaburn:

"Okay I've got my frost resistant ebony boots, and my fire resistant necklace on, I should be okay-" *backs up into lightning ward for 1/3 my health* "Hold on, I need to put on every single 'sure-grip' item I've ever looted/purchased and shove this chunk of dragon bone into your colon."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 6, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Have you also picked up the entire Enchanting perk tree? SPERG perks are a big deal above and beyond simple skillpoint allocation. So if you just consoled yourself to 100 enchant without also taking the entire tree, that may be part of it. You'll certainly want the top tier perk Extra Effect, because two enchantments per item gets stupid powerful; that's on top of a lot of enchantment power boosts on the way.

also bear in mind the way SPERG works there are some cross-tree buffs. For example, some of the Smithing and Alchemy perks may be relevant.

there's always the good old "enchant a bunch of +%enchant gear, equip, repeat" trick! Hope you like potionmaking and/or own Dragonborn, as it has some powerful enchantment gear.

Smol posted:

In my experience, it's best just to turn on the key ENB graphical enhancements, like detailed shadows and soft particles & soft particle lights, but to leave out the color/lightning tweaks (i.e. use UseOriginalPostProcessing=true & UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=true).

Actually this is also a really good idea thing to have listed somewhere. You can always disable bits and pieces of any ENB - or disable huge chunks of it like this - as you please. I suggest NLA for a few reasons, but even I'd disable the DOF effect straightaway. Customizing your ENB isn't just possible, it's basically required. Modding is the game, right? :v:

I think TES General has a pretty good ENB comparison page, if anyone feels the urge to really get into it. In my opinion, it's a good jumping-off point, way better for ENB comparisons than trying to open 75 tabs on Nexus.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 6, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Have you also picked up the entire Enchanting perk tree? SPERG perks are a big deal above and beyond simple skillpoint allocation. So if you just consoled yourself to 100 enchant without also taking the entire tree, that may be part of it. You'll certainly want the top tier perk Extra Effect, because two enchantments per item gets stupid powerful; that's on top of a lot of enchantment power boosts on the way.

also bear in mind the way SPERG works there are some cross-tree buffs. For example, some of the Smithing and Alchemy perks may be relevant.

there's always the good old "enchant a bunch of +%enchant gear, equip, repeat" trick! Hope you like potionmaking and/or own Dragonborn, as it has some powerful enchantment gear.

Actually this is also a really good idea thing to have listed somewhere. You can always disable bits and pieces of any ENB - or disable huge chunks of it like this - as you please. I suggest NLA for a few reasons, but even I'd disable the DOF effect straightaway. Customizing your ENB isn't just possible, it's basically required. Modding is the game, right? :v:

I think TES General has a pretty good ENB comparison page, if anyone feels the urge to really get into it. In my opinion, it's a good jumping-off point, way better for ENB comparisons than trying to open 75 tabs on Nexus.

When I have more time for more preview experiments later, I'll see what throwing down a bunch more perks does.

Though it was quite the discrepancy anyways. Some stuff like fortify skill I'd hit the apparent caps just fine with "Let's see what 100 enchanting will get me". 40% two-handed, 25% smithing, etc. 25% Spell school reduction working fine.

Then I'd get some things that were "Almost" as good. +62 health/etc instead of +70. +25 Elemental damage instead of 30 (Smithing meant Fire was slightly better, but yeah).

If SPERG was tuned around "You can't make your own Discount+regen worth a drat unless it's A: bathrobes, B: perked up", or Element resists NEEDING those perks that buffed armor element stuff, or jewlery in general, that would answer some questions. Along with all the stuff I was able to craft As good/almost as good as randos without going after perks.

Considering the massive gap between "15% discount and 10% regen" Vs "22% discount and 150% regen" I just bought off the shelf from a shopkeeper though, I won't be surprised if that particular category doesn't quite line up.

I am hoping it is as simple as "Just put in the perks" though, it would definitely appeal to trying other characters later more focused on perking up the magic, rather than getting all but one Smithing Perks, after realizing my Steel was stronger than Dwarven/Elvish early on.

Edit: Also I heard they patched out the "Fortify enchant, fortify alchemy" loop by capping the results. Which lines up with a quick check on that before this.

I was trying for "As good as what can happen normally, but on the items I want" more than "Hey let's make some robes of 720% magical thermonuclear war", anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 6, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Let me know what your perk trees look like, but I never got deep into enchanting without an endgame character who had several other maxed out trees, so I don't know for sure how essential those perks are, just that I never had problems getting ludicrously powerful gear with them all.

and hopefully, someone else who actually knows SPERG will say something, heh

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This is a thing that was in Skyrim since release.

I remember that in my first play-though on completely unmodded vanilla Skyrim, my Archmage with 100 Enchantment and all the perks from that tree, STILL couldn't make an item whose "magicka regen & random magic school" enchantment could come even close to that of apprentice alternation robe. I think its there so that mage robes wont get completely obsolete, because outside of their enchantment they are completely useless compared to armor.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Let me know what your perk trees look like, but I never got deep into enchanting without an endgame character who had several other maxed out trees, so I don't know for sure how essential those perks are, just that I never had problems getting ludicrously powerful gear with them all.

and hopefully, someone else who actually knows SPERG will say something, heh

So I tested out grabbing the pile of enchantment related perks, as well as the ones for that in alchemy.

It did improve things, but hardly by anything worth mentioning :v:

Most stuff I already had capped, is capped. Things like shock damage have bumped up to 31 (compared to generics max of 30). Stuff that was underwhelming is still underwhelming.

Elemental resists are now topping out at 48% for armors, 58% for clothing and diamond jewelry (Which while closer, still has quite a ways to go until 70% like generics can have). Trying to craft my own combo robes is now 19% discont/10% (Ten) regen. etc.

So all the perks for a bonus provided just that, a bonus. Not a make or break difference. Stuff that was good without the perks (Such as 40% combat skill fortify still being 40%, Fortify Healt/mana/stamina goes from slightly under, to slightly over if it's clothing/fancy jewlery).

Stuff that sucked without the perks, sucks with the perks. Again, on a scale of "Does not come even near naturally occurring leveled magic items". Still can't even craft element resists as good as 3rd best, or even 2nd best. Distant 4th if armor with "elemental effects are stronger on armor!" perks.

EDIT: I could only imagine how I'd feel if I had been spoiled by insane fortify loops back in the day, instead of just kind of annoyed half the stuff I want doesn't even come close to store brand (despite the other half being "Yeah sure, let's just casually bust out +40% combat skill and 25% other skills to pretend I'm a pro one handed rogue expert.")

Lt. Lizard posted:

This is a thing that was in Skyrim since release.

I remember that in my first play-though on completely unmodded vanilla Skyrim, my Archmage with 100 Enchantment and all the perks from that tree, STILL couldn't make an item whose "magicka regen & random magic school" enchantment could come even close to that of apprentice alternation robe. I think its there so that mage robes wont get completely obsolete, because outside of their enchantment they are completely useless compared to armor.

Yeah I saw that mentioned in passing for how that in particular was hosed in vanilla. Though I was hoping the unnoficial patch would have dealt with that sort of thing.

Even if it only worked for clothing, that would have been something for fashion. So you were not wearing the same generic robes any randomly generated bandit could have.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 6, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Obvious solution: Make Mage Robes just clothes that were just enchanted with the enchanting skill.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
When I was playing this back in like 2013 I had it setup so that any favorited items would be visible on third person even if they weren't currently equiped provided they didn't occupy the same slot. This time after tinkering a bit I just can't get it working. I'm fairly sure I was using Armed To The Teeth but I've tried multiple mods that are supposed to do the same thing, with middling success. Especially with bows, none of them will work with bows.

I've definitely got all the right skeletons for it. Any ideas what could I be screwing up? Is there an ini edit I'm not making?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Considering all ancient yet first results google checks talking about the wonders of Bullshit unlimited magical power, invulnerability, and feedback loops back in the day?

At this point I am wondering if the fact the only custom enchantments that are cut rate are Regens, Resists, and Combo Discount+Regen, are "Working as intended". Whether Vanilla, or USLEEP deciding to uphold Bethseda's 'Vision'. Because everything else works great even without perks, if you hit 100 Enchanting with my setup.

Also, all this poking around at things reminds me just how much I like SPERG, even if I've only really done one character (with several false starts).

Poking around is revealing things like "Oh cool, that Fortifier perk in Alchemy can make basic Leather armor about good as Glass" (And even if it only works on Chest clothing, 50+ on a robe or barkeep shirt is still way more armor than zero).

Which reminded me of how satisfying taking side perks to make my crafted Steel stuff worthwhile compared to Dwarven loot. Which also encouraged me to not rush 100 smithing like a robot and just naturally swing by to melt down my hoarder pile every so often once the drops and shops started selling the next big thing. Or I stumbled across an Ebony Mine. Or I realized "Wait, this latest Daedra heart means I have 4 total!". Because I didn't need to rush 100 skill while overdosing on performance enhancers to get nice stuff, I got to take my time.

I'm branching out into stuff I would have entirely ignored forever, just for the cool toys. I screwed around with pickpocketing for a while to get that sweet +100 Carry/+50 stamina. I started casting spells on the side just to hit Apprentice for the Discounts, and now I'm saying "gently caress it, I'm taking Pro warrior to wizard school" and comforting myself with how loving metal my Ebony gauntlet's look shooting fire, while awkwardly running in circles around a pair of frost trolls firing baby's first firebolts.

Having cool options even just from amateur branching out, instead of getting gently caress all without full dedication, has really taken me out of my usual very specific ruts.

SPERG is good and the author should feel good. (PS: Thank christ for the walking = armor raise option. Once I got over the early hump of poo poo weapons and poo poo stamina, bandits stopped getting much chance to hit back).

EDIT: Four 25% School cost discount items still = free casting, things are looking up for future Nerd wizard characters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 7, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have never been able to enjoy Enchanting after Morrowind. Making an infinite levitation ring with Bound Bow on it and just shooting people from 30 feet up was extremely cool and good

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Does anybody know of a good ENB for Vivid Weathers?

I tried NLVA, but the colors are way too bright for me, and the purple sunsets and such don't really work for me either. I'd love to have something more subdued, though.

Or would it be a better idea to just ditch Vivid Weathers in favour of Purity or something else?

e: Probably should try the official Vivid Weathers ENB before asking, huh.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 7, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update: The actual Vivid Weathers ENB is good and I'll probably stick with it.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dear Thread,

Thank you for the excellent OP, and for getting me to spend three days downloading and installing mods. I'm actually excited to revisit Skyrim! I've played for over ran hour and my game hasn't crashed yet! Yipee!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Power Walrus posted:

Dear Thread,

Thank you for the excellent OP, and for getting me to spend three days downloading and installing mods. I'm actually excited to revisit Skyrim! I've played for over ran hour and my game hasn't crashed yet! Yipee!

Time to add some more mods, clearly.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

Wow so to any budding mod users who don't want to be like me and stuck for days after installing 200 mods and not knowing why you occasionally crash while just wandering around

MAKE A BASHED PATCH

I had at least narrowed my issue down to crashing when the game tried to spawn in actors like NPCs or enemies. Turns out I had installed a handful of mods that edit their leveled lists, which apparently is really bad for the game if they conflict!!

It's a small pain to go through each of your mods in Wrye Bash to see which ones edit a leveled list, but immediately after doing this I've experienced no crashing whatsoever even as I approach the 255 limit. It's really not too complicated though, if anyone's interested I could probably throw together some Absolute Beginner to Wrye Bash instructions on how to do it if i find the time.

But yeah moral of the story is take the time to make a loving bashed patch instead of disabling and reenabling all of your mods, one by one, only to still not understand the problem :eng99:

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
This just got uploaded to :nexus:Nexus:nexus: this afternoon, but looks like a pretty sweet idea...

Mirrak unlocks Kohnariik

It supposedly lets you substitute Miraak's mask for one of the others when placing them on the Shrine, enabling you to unlock the Kohnariik mask just a bit easier, say, without having to progress the main quest to nearly the end just for Nahkriin, or having to go thru the College to face Morokei.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So I've run into a bizarre problem in Skyrim in which I'm randomly getting messages regarding 'Green dots' that represent your health and something about a spell that fixes your robot? It's as if I've initiated a minigame except I haven't, and nothing happens except I get locked out of controlling my character. The only think I can think I'm running that would have a robot fighting minigame is Brhuce Hammar Legacy, but that mod isn't even activated on this save.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 9, 2016

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

It's really difficult to offer any assistance to people who don't include any information about the sort of mods they're running.

Really, without something thorough like Modwatch, the most people can do is speculate.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There will be no mods for Playstation 4.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anyone know the basis of Sony's objection to modding "where users can do anything they want" with the game? It seems like some kind of liability concern.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GunnerJ posted:

Anyone know the basis of Sony's objection to modding "where users can do anything they want" with the game? It seems like some kind of liability concern.

sony execs probably googled "skyrim mods" and clicked on the first result

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

That's pure guesswork until either Sony or Bethesda makes a statement which some details, which they're not likely to do.

Back in June Bethesda said the three bigest problems with PS4-mods were the Sony-imposed limit of 900mb for mods (compared to Xbox One's 2GB) and mods not being able to add sounds and only textures not optmized for the PS4 (which would cause performance issues) because the PS4 apparently uses various proprietary file formats that I guess Sony doesn't want to have Bethesda release.
Looking at it from the outside, it sort of looks like a Sony exec, who possibly didn't get what modding is or how it could benefit them, demanded all kinds of limitations on mods and wouldn't budge. And then Bethesda eventually went "gently caress it, if we released it like this people are just going to bitch endlessly at us. Better to just cut it completely."
But like I said, that's pure guesswork. Maybe there were actual technological/legal issues that they couldn't solve. :shrug:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If it was technical issues they most likely would've just said it outright in the post. It sounds more like:

Raygereio posted:

a Sony exec, who possibly didn't get what modding is or how it could benefit them, demanded all kinds of limitations on mods and wouldn't budge. And then Bethesda eventually went "gently caress it, if we released it like this people are just going to bitch endlessly at us. Better to just cut it completely."

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Hi. I'm playing Skyrim for the second time in my life, and the first time I'm actually going to be modding it seriously.

I read the OP and understood it well. My question is, should I follow the STEP list of what mods to add, or should I follow OP's recommendations? Is there an even better list? (I'm not sure if GEMS is a list or just a collection)

Any useful advice for someone who has never modded, other than what's in the OP?\

Edit: And should I wait for skyrim special edition, or does it not really matter that much?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Hi. I'm playing Skyrim for the second time in my life, and the first time I'm actually going to be modding it seriously.

I read the OP and understood it well. My question is, should I follow the STEP list of what mods to add, or should I follow OP's recommendations? Is there an even better list? (I'm not sure if GEMS is a list or just a collection)

Any useful advice for someone who has never modded, other than what's in the OP?\

Edit: And should I wait for skyrim special edition, or does it not really matter that much?

Go with what looks cool. Also stuff you'd like to improve on the original.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Waiting is a little bit pointless actually: since Skyrim Special Edition is going to be running on 64-bit code, some mods will have to be rewritten to function with the new code, which will take time. Plus since a lot of mod creators have noped out of the community for various reasons, some mods will probably never be reworked for the special edition.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

My standard modding 101:
Don't blindly follow some list of "must have" mods. At best these list are nice to skim over for ideas. Play the vanilla game for a bit until you have a good idea what you want to add/remove/change in your game.
Don't install 100+ mods in one go. poo poo will inevitably break. Install mods in small batches, preferably one at the time and quickly test if everything works in between. Yes, this will be more tedious. But it will make it much easier to track down the problem when something goes wrong.
Read stuff like readmes & description pages. Yes, sometimes these are written by some annoying asshat. But you should still skim over it and pay attention to stuff like requirements or instal/uninstal instruction. Also check the File Requirements on the Nexus' page.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

And should I wait for skyrim special edition, or does it not really matter that much?
From what we know so far, the only real boon for the PC will be some prettier vanilla graphics and more available memory. It's not that spectacular really.
As for modding: The majority of mods & tools will probably need updating for the SE. When it comes to for example SKSE that update could take quite some time. And a lot of modders have left the scene, meaning a lot of mods will never be updated. So if you want to mod your game, I really wouldn't wait.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Just pick what you think looks cool. Make a game, do the tutorial/opening, make a save, back it up. Then just add poo poo that you think you will use in your first run or looks fun. See if it crashes and if it doesn't just stick more stuff in there. Part of the fun in modding is seeing how far you can push the game before it breaks completely imo.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Part of the fun in modding is seeing how far you can push the game before it breaks completely imo.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My advice for modding on Windows 10 is to wait for Remastered to come out in like two months so your game won't crash for going over 4 GB RAM

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Since we're talking about Bethesda, you need to mod it to stop the crashes in the first place.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cat Mattress posted:

Since we're talking about Bethesda, you need to mod it to stop the crashes in the first place.

crash only by your own terms

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Everything in the OP and in STEP is a suggestion. Some parts are more urgently advised suggestions but like others have said, you have to use some of your own judgement. I'll echo what someone else suggested about figuring out what it is about vanilla Skyrim you'd like to change up first, except that there are a good number of mods that are just worth having to make up for shortfalls in the base game. The "Mandatory" and "Quality of Life" sections in the OP probably give you a strong base of an improved game to build from, and the first few parts of STEP are worth following along for the same reason. There's a lot of overlap between the OP and STEP because I am a STEP fanboy. However, when STEP starts advising all sorts of graphics mods is about where I check out because it wants you to install replacers for a thousand and one different things and fffffuck that tedious poo poo.

You also asked about "other stuff to do" when it comes to modding and the next bit of effort I'm going to put into the OP will be about that. One thing to do is make some kind of conflict resolution patch. The third post (eta: in the section with the title "Non-Conflicting Overrides") has some info on different kinds of patch (merged, bashed, or smashed) that you'll want to read.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 10, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Just pick what you think looks cool. Make a game, do the tutorial/opening, make a save, back it up. Then just add poo poo that you think you will use in your first run or looks fun. See if it crashes and if it doesn't just stick more stuff in there.

Eh, there's no real need to do this "clean save" stuff if you use an alternate start mod because you can skip the intro/tutorial and be in the game in under a minute with those. Plus, I am pretty sure there are a few mods out there that need to start with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

GunnerJ posted:

Everything in the OP and in STEP is a suggestion. Some parts are more urgently advised suggestions but like others have said, you have to use some of your own judgement. I'll echo what someone else suggested about figuring out what it is about vanilla Skyrim you'd like to change up first, except that there are a good number of mods that are just worth having to make up for shortfalls in the base game. The "Mandatory" and "Quality of Life" sections in the OP probably give you a strong base of an improved game to build from, and the first few parts of STEP are worth following along for the same reason. There's a lot of overlap between the OP and STEP because I am a STEP fanboy. However, when STEP starts advising all sorts of graphics mods is about where I check out because it wants you to install replacers for a thousand and one different things and fffffuck that tedious poo poo.

You also asked about "other stuff to do" when it comes to modding and the next bit of effort I'm going to put into the OP will be about that. One thing to do is make some kind of conflict resolution patch. The third post (eta: in the section with the title "Non-Conflicting Overrides") has some info on different kinds of patch (merged, bashed, or smashed) that you'll want to read.

I'm actually following STEP, step by step (no pun intended), and it's quite fun. On mod 128 right now, and I'm hoping this game will be a changed beast when I finish doing all this poo poo.

Yes its slow and tedious, but the guide is, God bless, really really good. I mean the level of detail is amazing. As long as I didn't personally gently caress up anything, I'm expecting to be blown away by the game once I start it up, if and when i get to that point.