Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I thought the North Carolina was supposed to be a preferred sniper? The shell speed on this thing is so slow a stationary Warspite had time to reverse out of the path of a salvo.

e: Followed it up by pointing 6 barrels at an Atago 3km away and scoring 2k damage, gently caress that, I'm going to play something else

In the mind of the pubbies every BB is a sniper. Though if hitting at range is you aim then go play the Amagi, it has non-stock 104m/s more AP shell velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I thought the North Carolina was supposed to be a preferred sniper? The shell speed on this thing is so slow a stationary Warspite had time to reverse out of the path of a salvo.

e: Followed it up by pointing 6 barrels at an Atago 3km away and scoring 2k damage, gently caress that, I'm going to play something else

I'm not aware of any battleships that are "preferred snipers." And whiffing shots at 3km due to dispersion saying "gently caress YOU!" is just the general battleship experience.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah this is why I stopped playing battleships. RNG on cruisers is nowhere near as punishing and I consistently have better games with them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm the opposite. Everytime I get in a cruiser or DD it's like I'm on the moon. And everytime I erase a cruiser with a double citadel it's like everything has been worth it. I love my big, fat, slow botes with big guns.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not a big fan of cruisers at the moment. I can do decent damage with them, but it seems like whenever I show even a hint of broadside I get taken down to Citadel City, where my health is red and my ship is sinking. I think a large part of that though is the glut of German BBs which is causing a lot of 5-6 BB games, so once the British cruisers come out that should calm down a bit. But still, it does seem like most cruisers are made of citadels and prayers.

I'm having a great time with destroyers at the moment, mainly because of said glut of BBs making this a destroyer's Happy Time. Lots of big, lumbering fools to torpedo and/or HE spam to death. And again I fully expect that to end since the British are coming and I'll end up drowning in HE spam.

Battleships I always play with a mix of standing off and mixing it up in a brawl, usually trying to snipe people for the first half of a round and then getting stuck in once the destroyers have (hopefully) been taken care of. People always bitch about about battleships hanging back but getting stuck in too early just gets me burning and flooding in every possible location.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What should i do if i'm constantly overpenning?

I'm getting solid hits in the konig at the limit of it's range and instead of sweet magazine detonation like i was promised it's 2 ricochets and 2 overpens for a total of 840 damage. Do i need to switch to HE?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The Konig only has 12" guns I believe. It's WW1 vintage despite the tier V thing. Kongo class have 14" guns, same with New Yorks. They're going to struggle with citadels on equal tier battleships (especially other Konigs, which are practically immune) but AP should still produce reliable damage. I swapped between HE and AP but basically just got used to doing modest damage consistently rather than citadels.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The idea behind the German BBs is that while you don't get as many massive damage bombs as other battleship lines, you get a lot more consistent regular damage despite your poor dispersion since you're so much more comfortable at closer ranges than any other battleship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

What should i do if i'm constantly overpenning?

I'm getting solid hits in the konig at the limit of it's range and instead of sweet magazine detonation like i was promised it's 2 ricochets and 2 overpens for a total of 840 damage. Do i need to switch to HE?

Rather than aiming for the belt armor right at the waterline I aim for the casemates just below the deck level and crank some big numbers out whenever battleship in the equation is German.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do shots hitting the water disappear instantly or is it possible to hit below the waterline and cause flooding with shells?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's possible to hit below the waterline but they removed the chance for flooding from them a long time ago.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Manners Maketh Man is proving to be the hardest achievement. Can't reach ten consecutive games without some YOLO fuckwit driving into my side at full throttle.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Velius posted:

The Konig only has 12" guns I believe. It's WW1 vintage despite the tier V thing. Kongo class have 14" guns, same with New Yorks. They're going to struggle with citadels on equal tier battleships (especially other Konigs, which are practically immune) but AP should still produce reliable damage. I swapped between HE and AP but basically just got used to doing modest damage consistently rather than citadels.

Konigs are really good ships, probably the best at tier 5 in my opinion. Yeah, on paper you're not doing as much damage, but your dispersion is good, your angling is great, your speed and maneuverability are decent, and you can take a beating. All that combines to make a very respectable ship.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Manners Maketh Man is proving to be the hardest achievement. Can't reach ten consecutive games without some YOLO fuckwit driving into my side at full throttle.

Can it be achieved in co-op? Fewer players and less pressure to be performing at 100%, so easier to be out of ideal position away from everyone else.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So remember how US fighters got an ammo boost this patch? According to flamu, the biggest beneficiaries was supposed to be the essex and midway carriers. As the ijn just started to walk over them. They still struggle after this patch however. Instead though, there was a US carrier that did benefit. The Saipan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V8uR1z8M0w

At tier 7, you are carrying tier 9 planes and a friendly matchmaker spread. Not only that, but with the boost to ammo, these fighters can loiter and strafe more than they had previously. Allowing a good captain to really put a damper on either the ranger or hiryu. And no matter which plane load out you choose, you have a minimum of 2x fighter squads for air cover.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Amusingly, for those who haven't noticed yet (or watched ichase's videos), despite the British cruisers not yet being available you CAN look at their armor schemes with the armor viewer. Here are the tier 8, 9, and 10.

T8: Edinburgh

T9: Neptune

T10: Minotaur

That's, uh, a mighty large and visible citadel you've got there, Neptune and Minotaur. In blunt terms, you have right around the same amount of armor as Pensacola while somehow having a more visible citadel as well. Don't show even the hint of your side to anything, ever, at those tiers, unless you like randomly exploding.

Eagerly awaiting "Obligatory Exploding British CL"

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

So remember how US fighters got an ammo boost this patch? According to flamu, the biggest beneficiaries was supposed to be the essex and midway carriers. As the ijn just started to walk over them. They still struggle after this patch however. Instead though, there was a US carrier that did benefit. The Saipan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V8uR1z8M0w

At tier 7, you are carrying tier 9 planes and a friendly matchmaker spread. Not only that, but with the boost to ammo, these fighters can loiter and strafe more than they had previously. Allowing a good captain to really put a damper on either the ranger or hiryu. And no matter which plane load out you choose, you have a minimum of 2x fighter squads for air cover.

Not sure what the big deal is here, it was obvious from the moment it was announce that Saipan would gain most from this. Its possibly the most OP ship in the game IMO considering the MM rules it enjoys. Can never see T8+ CVs.

I have benched mine for a few weeks while I try to get to the Khab and Moskva, once thats done I'm going to try and get back into CVs...the buff to Essex will be non-trivial too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Velius posted:

The 12 inchers also reload much faster than their 14 inch brothers, which makes for a significant increase in raw damage over time.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Clarence posted:

Can it be achieved in co-op?

Probably. There's one that actually requires co-op and I got like three others while working on it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You could play a carrier as well. Hang back far enough and nobody will run into you while zoomed in. I contribute to those accidents more than I would like to admit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You could play a carrier as well. Hang back far enough and nobody will run into you while zoomed in. I contribute to those accidents more than I would like to admit.
Assuming of course that you don't slam into someone while hauling rear end in your Essex and managing planes like yours truly

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

I got this achievement in my NC in that Atago battle, and I'm really not sure how, I guess I got a couple compliments for mostly winning my side of the Two Brothers map before embarrassing myself against the Atago :shrug:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
With the next season going up to tier 8, I just remembered that the Lo Yang has Smoke and Sonar :getin:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Co-op and low tier CV is how I'm trying to get the Manners Maketh Man one.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

When railguns and ship born laser weapons become something that is easier to use, I expect that we will be seeing bigger "gun" platform ships again, even nuclear powered ones.

The thing is, this will only be because railguns and lasers draw an incredible amount of power. The days of armored ships are over. Instead stealth and superior engagement range will be your fleet protection doctrine.

I mean, frankly speaking, there is no armor system in the world, real or imagined, that can "protect" a ship when a 50 pound solid tungsten slug, traveling at mach 6, slams into it.

The bigger factor is line of sight. LASERs don't arc much, neither do rail guns. A missile is cheaper, smaller, self guided and powerful enough to overcome pretty much all modern armor on ships (which is pretty much none).

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Sperglord Actual posted:

Probably. There's one that actually requires co-op and I got like three others while working on it.

Ten rounds later: either co-op does not count for this achievement, or the slightest brushing will reset the counter even if you don't get a warning for it.

Gonna test this by AFKing some PvE rounds in tier I/II ships.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

7v7, I'm literally the only human in the entire match. Screw wasting that time, I'm just going to go park in a corner.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just got the Roon. Finally tried German cruiser hydro and it's amazing. So is the ship, even stock, which is crazy given how much better it gets with the gun and hull upgrades. Long range, high penetration, reasonably good HE and good torpedo arcs. I like it a lot, I just wish tier 9 meta wasn't poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Me running a stock loadout Bogue, and another player running an AS Bogue (pretty sure fully upgraded aircraft) against another AS Bogue and a Zuiho. I manage 33 plane kills along with 93k damage, he manages 8. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Sperglord Actual posted:

Gonna test this by AFKing some PvE rounds in tier I/II ships.

Test complete. Appears this achievement cannot be obtained in co-op mode.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Test complete. Appears this achievement cannot be obtained in co-op mode.

It might have been the bump, or it might just not be awarded in co-op but the games still count. I did one random match, then 7 co-op matches, then 2 random matches again and got it.

edit: Aaand finished out the last 4 achievements with a nice Shchors match. Need to start collecting as much free exp as possible, so that 5k was a nice bump.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 10, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Do people really hate on the Furutaka in this game? I'm citadeling cruisers 2 tiers higher than me on a regular basis with this thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vatek posted:

Do people really hate on the Furutaka in this game? I'm citadeling cruisers 2 tiers higher than me on a regular basis with this thing.

It used to be kind of an anemic ship that took a good player to get the most out of it, because, well, you have to actually be able to HIT THINGS in it, but ever since it got double turrets and better gun handling, it's still armored with tin foil, but yeah, it can hit well above its weight.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Vatek posted:

When the game launched the Furutaka had some ugly drawbacks to balance the heavy caliber guns for the tier. They had a glacial reload around 20 seconds, and rotated at battleship speed. It got a buff to these two stats like a year ago, then a few patches ago they added the twin turrets and a torpedo to each launcher.

I got the Manners achievement in co-op. Yes, I would say even brushing a friendly ship for 1 damage would reset your count at 0. Had a couple white knuckle moments when my teammates got a bit too close for comfort despite the smaller number of ships out there.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

JacksLibido posted:

The bigger factor is line of sight. LASERs don't arc much, neither do rail guns. A missile is cheaper, smaller, self guided and powerful enough to overcome pretty much all modern armor on ships (which is pretty much none).

Honestly at this point, you're looking more to compartmentalize damage than prevent it. You can shoot down or decoy a missile, but rail gun rounds and lasers can be mitigated by compartmentalizing your ship so that the damage isn't widespread. Which they do in modern designs, anyways.

Besides, SSNs are the real hunters. I really would enjoying seeing Wargaming reverse their policy and build subs into the game.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cobbsprite posted:

I really would enjoying seeing Wargaming reverse their policy and build subs into the game.

They might just have to. Subs might be the only thing that would force cruisers and battleships into the shallower parts of the map. loving around the map's edge, permanently in deep water, should be a bad thing to do.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly at this point, you're looking more to compartmentalize damage than prevent it. You can shoot down or decoy a missile, but rail gun rounds and lasers can be mitigated by compartmentalizing your ship so that the damage isn't widespread. Which they do in modern designs, anyways.

Besides, SSNs are the real hunters. I really would enjoying seeing Wargaming reverse their policy and build subs into the game.

Ummm the navy uses air for pretty much everything, boats are just there to shoot down the other dudes air.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They might just have to. Subs might be the only thing that would force cruisers and battleships into the shallower parts of the map. loving around the map's edge, permanently in deep water, should be a bad thing to do.

God help us, I mean even now you run into fuckers that will rage out at getting killed by torpedoes and rant about the need for a BB-only gamemode. And that's with torpedoes launched from things they can see and hit. Adding subs would probably lead to a) aneurysms and b) death threats.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Give the babies their BB only game mode but make it so the map shrinks as the match goes on, anyone caught in the border as it shrinks instasinks and anyone loitering near the boarder is harassed by shots coming from outside the boundaries of the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

God help us, I mean even now you run into fuckers that will rage out at getting killed by torpedoes and rant about the need for a BB-only gamemode. And that's with torpedoes launched from things they can see and hit. Adding subs would probably lead to a) aneurysms and b) death threats.

The worst part is, WG listens to these people.