Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That actually sounds awesome. Can I store it in a small indoor planter, like one of those quart sized ones? Or does it need more room?

Do cats like chewing it up?

E: do I have to keep it in the window? Could I substitute a sunlamp for natural sun?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually just stuff it in a coffee cup when I harvest a bunch. I don't think you need to be delicate with it.

In my experience cats like chewing everything you don't want them to chew.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you go to Ralphs/Kroger, they sell basil that comes with its own small pot with dirt so you can keep it growing in a coffee mug or something. It's only $1 more than their cut basil.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Basil is a weed that can survive with marginal sunlight or poor soil.

Given the right conditions, a single plant can produce a staggering amount of basil leaves.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Cats like basil, yeah. It doesn't hurt them. Google sez one thing that can kill cats is spring parsley.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Ikea has it.

Thanks!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
A lot of cats love mint and all its cousins and they grow like weeds. Nobody asked but there you go.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Depending on what you're going to use it for, herbs can be frozen and retain aboot of flavour, if not texture. I freeze a lot of leftover herbs and use them in soups and pestos and things of that ilk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Basil is a weed that can survive with marginal sunlight or poor soil.

Given the right conditions, a single plant can produce a staggering amount of basil leaves.

Maybe where you are. Basil is one of the hardest things for me to grow here.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Thanks for the advice before. I got some new snappy containers for my vegetable needs. I'm ready for the next stage.

I want to buy, wash, and chop up the veggies I mentioned (tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers, and white mushrooms) on Sunday and store them in the fridge in separate containers for use for the next 5 days. Is 5 days too much? I'm guessing I can freeze the last three days worth of veggies separately and thaw them the day before I use them. However, are there any tips for storing veggies so that they don't go bad quickly? I heard from a friend that I shouldn't wash mushrooms because that makes it go bad quicker...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You can probably make a compound butter with the sage and freeze it and use it for a long rear end time.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

MrSlam posted:

A lot of cats love mint and all its cousins and they grow like weeds. Nobody asked but there you go.

They also love paprika but they shouldn't have it. My cat figured out where my Old Bay is and now spends all of her time trying to get into it.

I've never had a cat try to mess with a basil plant, though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I want to make this recipe:

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/risotto-milanese-with-white-beef-stock

but it wants 1g of saffron. That's got to be a mistake, right? Over here, a pack of saffron is around 1.50$ per 0.05 grams, so a whole gram is 30$...

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Gerblyn posted:

I want to make this recipe:

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/risotto-milanese-with-white-beef-stock

but it wants 1g of saffron. That's got to be a mistake, right? Over here, a pack of saffron is around 1.50$ per 0.05 grams, so a whole gram is 30$...

I think you have misread the packet. Over here a standard pack of saffron tends to be 0.5 grams. Not 0.05 grams. And a pack is about 2 $.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DekeThornton posted:

I think you have misread the packet. Over here a standard pack of saffron tends to be 0.5 grams. Not 0.05 grams. And a pack is about 2 $.

I'm afraid not :( The pack I got from the super market was 1 euro 24c (1.40$) for 0.05g. Looking around what I can get in town, this store sells 0.15g for 3 euros (3.30$):

http://www.dille-kamille.nl/nl/shop/c/305/a/1341/saffraan-buisje-0-15-gram

Cheapest I can find it online is 13$ for a 2g tin, but I was gonna cook the stuff today.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 10, 2016

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The recipe you posted is most certainly correct. One gram of saffron is not a huge amount. It seems strange to me that saffron is about ten times as expensive where you live (Holland?) as here in Sweden, where food costs are about as high as they get in the EU. There should be some way to find more normally priced saffron.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yep, Holland and, I don't get it either. After some more googling, I found this:

https://www.ekoplaza.nl/search/qry=saffraan

with prices ranging from 3e49 per 0.02g (170e per gram!) and 10e89 per gram. Maybe there are different types of saffron which explains the price difference?

Anyways, if the amount seems reasonable I suppose I'll see if I can get a bit more. Though probably not the whole gram the recipe requires.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

Yep, Holland and, I don't get it either. After some more googling, I found this:

https://www.ekoplaza.nl/search/qry=saffraan

with prices ranging from 3e49 per 0.02g (170e per gram!) and 10e89 per gram. Maybe there are different types of saffron which explains the price difference?

Anyways, if the amount seems reasonable I suppose I'll see if I can get a bit more. Though probably not the whole gram the recipe requires.

Yeah don't shop at the ekoplaza you hipster, just go to a turkish or moroccan grocery. :)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Good idea! There's a Turkish butcher down the road.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Ethnic shops seems like the best idea. If you have a Lidl close by they might also have reasonably priced packs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gerblyn posted:

with prices ranging from 3e49 per 0.02g (170e per gram!) and 10e89 per gram.

I read these as scientific notation and thought yeah, that is pretty expensive for saffron.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I read these as scientific notation and thought yeah, that is pretty expensive for saffron.

The Dutch have always been very innovative in the financial sector, but I think most of us agree that our latest experiments in quantum economics have gone a step too far.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BTW idk if you know about it already but we have a Dutch thread so come hang out with us if you want to. :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

Good idea! There's a Turkish butcher down the road.

Butchers aren't really famed for their herb stocks...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Also if you're buying cheap saffron it's probably safflower.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Butchers aren't really famed for their herb stocks...

Turkish butchers are also a sort of convenience stores here.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Turkish butchers are also a sort of convenience stores here.

Yep, that pretty much describes it! He had it for 15e per gram. I got it anyways, I've never really cooked with or even tasted saffron before, so I thought I might as well do it properly for the first time. It tastes kind of medicinal? Reminds me of a dentists office for some reason. It tasted ok in the risotto, it's certainly a unique flavor.

Chemmy posted:

Also if you're buying cheap saffron it's probably safflower.

I don't believe it was, I didn't see any of the flower heads or yellow bits that apparently let you tell the difference. In the end though, given how expensive it is, it wouldn't surprise me if people somewhere along the foodchain had cut it with safflower to a degree, and I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to taste it.

spankmeister posted:

BTW idk if you know about it already but we have a Dutch thread so come hang out with us if you want to. :)

Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm not sure if I'll post though, I'm British, and my Dutch is still kind rough around the edges (and in the middle) :shobon:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
would beef finger meat be good for carbonnade à la flamande?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wanna see those cows

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Wanna see those cows

straight outta chernobyl

actually it's just boneless shortrib cuts:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JawKnee posted:

would beef finger meat be good for carbonnade à la flamande?

ans: yes, but after 2 hours braising I needed to stick the meat by itself under the broiler for a few minutes to take care of the still very present fat. Tasty as gently caress though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
What cut of beef is most often used in beef noodle soup?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats a cheap recipe to use a can of cheap lager in? Its not particularly necessary since i can save it for a work thing later this week but if there is something nice i;d like to cook with it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jose posted:

whats a cheap recipe to use a can of cheap lager in? Its not particularly necessary since i can save it for a work thing later this week but if there is something nice i;d like to cook with it

beer can chicken

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't think my oven has the vertical space for it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some stew/chili

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Open can. Place beer in mouth.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

Beer bread!
http://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?p=Q&asug=&af=type%3Arecipes&w=Beer+bread

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jose posted:

i don't think my oven has the vertical space for it
The shelves come out. You can take out the top shelf and put it somewhere else, then just sit the chicken on the bottom shelf in the lowest position. I have a little NYC kitchen and I make chicken on a vertical roaster about weekly, so as long as you're not in an RV or something, it should be doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think cheap lager isn't the best for cooking, I usually associate stews and such with dark beers.

So best to shotgun it. Take the beer, lean over the sink, make a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver (or other poking device), place mouth on screwdriver hole, open top and go to town!