Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if thats fair. while fallout 4 has massively improved shooting, which is fun, a lot of stuff they did with the perk/skill system, voiced dialogue, quest/dialogue writing was either a step back from FO3 or received mixed reception.

also whether or not you enjoy base building changes the experience quite a bit, especially considering how much of the dlc was focused on that. saying people were mad about fo4 because its popular is probably not true. or at least i am pretty sure people got over that when they were mad about fo3.
Oh yeah, I forgot that there are a LOT of useless perks, and I mean a lot.

That's almost made up for by adding charisma perks that eventually let you just boss around practically everyone and everything that's a lower level than you, which is great fun. Then again having a few really outstanding/fun perks in a sea of garbage kind of goes back to the series' roots.

I wouldn't mind the base building so much if there was a purpose, but for the most part settlements are just dots on the map that you occasionally have to defend to protect your bottled water empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I enjoyed FO4 more than FO3.

Neither comes close to FO:NV though.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Surely that's fine, because on console high framerates are a bonus feature not most developers care about including.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Few hours in now and I'd just like to say I'm having way more fun with Tomb Raider than I did with UC4 :shrug:
I was in the same boat and didn't understand the praise Uncharted 4 got aside from the graphics and to some extent the story.

The majority of the game is pretty bog standard 3rd person one man army gameplay which doesn't align with the character(s) the story tries to portray.

By the time I got to Chapter 16, I had to stop and see how many more chapters were left. Once I found out I put the game down and continued to play in spurts across several weeks until the end. I would recommend doing the same if you start to get that "is it over yet?" mindset.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sad!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Are only two of the Fallout 4 DLCs actual gameplay (Nuka World and Far Harbor) and the others are all 'play with menus stuff' (build robots, build settlements, build a vault, etc)?

I'm looking at them but I have absolutely zero interest in building/crafting/menu fuckery.

edit: this is apparently not actually the fallout thread but whatever the question stands.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 9, 2016

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

HONKER24 posted:

I was in the same boat and didn't understand the praise Uncharted 4 got aside from the graphics and to some extent the story.

The majority of the game is pretty bog standard 3rd person one man army gameplay which doesn't align with the character(s) the story tries to portray.

By the time I got to Chapter 16, I had to stop and see how many more chapters were left. Once I found out I put the game down and continued to play in spurts across several weeks until the end. I would recommend doing the same if you start to get that "is it over yet?" mindset.

Did you play the original three games? I mostly felt the same way about 1-3 (I played the HD remasters just recently), there were really enjoyable setpieces and I liked the story but the combat was just extraordinarily tedious and I was checking chapters for progress. I blasted through UC4 and enjoyed it the whole time though, probably because it improved so much on the previous games (graphics, gameplay, story, tone etc.) and it was a big sort of story closure exercise as well.

One thing I thought put the uncharted games far above tomb raider was the humour though, I mean Drake is a plucky serial killer but at least he's plucky.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

HONKER24 posted:

one man army is one way to play the game, but if that's why you didn't enjoy it that's kind of on you because you can get by pretty much every encounter with minimal gunfire. my favourite time was when you're with Elena and you can just sprint for the jeep, get in, and drive away, no shots fired.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Saint Freak posted:

Are only two of the Fallout 4 DLCs actual gameplay (Nuka World and Far Harbor) and the others are all 'play with menus stuff' (build robots, build settlements, build a vault, etc)?

I'm looking at them but I have absolutely zero interest in building/crafting/menu fuckery.

edit: this is apparently not actually the fallout thread but whatever the question stands.

I have not played any of them myself yet but I know the robot one has a questline associated with it. I don't think the settlement or the vault building ones do, though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saint Freak posted:

The ones that have "workshop" in the name are mainly just crafting poo poo

Automatron adds a small quest besides the crafting poo poo so it doesn't say Workshop

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_add-ons

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

theres technically a quest in the vault one, and the automatron dlc is also technically a quest but if you bought them expecting gameplay you'd be disappointed. just think of them as workshop dlc, altho automatron lets you make robot companions (altho this also requires a shitload of crafting materials and perks)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED UC2/3 and was all up for 4 but it totally fell flat for me. Picked up Tomb Raider on a whim in the sale (€7, why not?) and it's reallly good so far. I never played it back on PS3. I really like how heavy the combat feels compared to most games. The pistol might be the best sounding one in a game since HL2. I'm not a massive amount of hours into the game but I really like it and can't wait for the next one now!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

CrashCat posted:

If anything the only indictment I have is the emphasis on useless base building features in the DLC and the predictable huge delay in bringing mods to consoles
Speaking of mods on consoles, it looks like we won't get mods on PS4, after all. It sounds like Sony is the roadblock preventing it.

So PS Plus price hike, no game mods, and (ostensibly) blocking attempts at cross-platform multiplayer.
I really like the Sony PlayStation, but I have to say I'm not a big fan of the Sony company.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

MisterAlex posted:

Speaking of mods on consoles, it looks like we won't get mods on PS4, after all. It sounds like Sony is the roadblock preventing it.

So PS Plus price hike, no game mods, and (ostensibly) blocking attempts at cross-platform multiplayer.
I really like the Sony PlayStation, but I have to say I'm not a big fan of the Sony company.

I was SUPER excited about a console Skyrim remaster but this basically kills it for me. What a let down -- I guess I'll be saving some money in October

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED UC2/3 and was all up for 4 but it totally fell flat for me. Picked up Tomb Raider on a whim in the sale (€7, why not?) and it's reallly good so far. I never played it back on PS3. I really like how heavy the combat feels compared to most games. The pistol might be the best sounding one in a game since HL2. I'm not a massive amount of hours into the game but I really like it and can't wait for the next one now!

The TR reboot is a really good game. Probably one of the only games I've bothered to get 100% completion on more than once, and I'd gladly do it again.

Shame I'll never get the Platinum for it though, because the multiplayer trophies are obnoxious and the online is terrible. :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MisterAlex posted:

what cross platform multiplayer are they blocking now?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dewgy posted:

The TR reboot is a really good game. Probably one of the only games I've bothered to get 100% completion on more than once, and I'd gladly do it again.

Shame I'll never get the Platinum for it though, because the multiplayer trophies are obnoxious and the online is terrible. :negative:

Haha I didn't even know there was multiplayer

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah it has multi taken from the AC vein of "get your coins, sign up with your account, hit level 100!!!"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Automatron has a decently long quest for the $5 and building robots is a lot more fun than it sounds. It's especially fun to turn Codsworth into a polite English butler murderbot of doom and destruction. Nuka World also adds a lot of new robot parts to Automatron.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Rise of the Tomb Raider takes it to the next level. Probably the best action/adventure game I've played in many years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barren_sky posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider takes it to the next level. Probably the best action/adventure game I've played in many years.

Yesssssss

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterAlex posted:

It's aggravating, but I never believed them when they said console mods were a possibility anyway. I'm surprised they even got it through on Xbox, though they had some issues there too. I mean given it's just a big Windows box I shouldn't be too surprised, but on the other hand giving the community any control over executing things usually results in security breaks and piracy

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

barren_sky posted:

I guess this is now my big October game. I'm still bummed about Skyrim but I've been counting down the drat days until this drops.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mods on console is a shitshow of low ram caps, curated lists of boring mods, and even worse performance.

Stick to pc for bethesda's poo poo heap games imo

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

...! posted:

Automatron has a decently long quest for the $5 and building robots is a lot more fun than it sounds. It's especially fun to turn Codsworth into a polite English butler murderbot of doom and destruction. Nuka World also adds a lot of new robot parts to Automatron.

Isn't that dlc normally ten bucks? Could have been cheaper on a recent sale.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah its for sure ten bucks

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't that dlc normally ten bucks? Could have been cheaper on a recent sale.

as if everyone didn't fall for the season pass ploy when they announced they changed it from $30 to $50 (and then didn't make $50 worth of game)

oh, so it was just me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

new vegas was one of my favorite games from last generation

i played F04 for 3 hours and never touched it again

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah season pass is worth the price at 30 just for nuka World and far harbor. I would never play 50 just for a bunch of workshop/base stuff on top.

Automatron is a nice bonus but probably not worth buying separately.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Vegas made my PS3 crash more than every other game I've played combined but it was fun. The writing was good. I'm definitely gonna build a gaming PC next after this garbage generation change that's coming up so I'll get back into Fallout then but Bethesda have proved over and over that their engine just isn't cut out for consoles. Skyrim was probably the most stable one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always find it ironic that Bethesda publish some of the most technically impressive games on console (DOOM, Wolfenstien) but then release FO4

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

part of the reason that beth games are better on pc is that people can fix their loving games for them :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

rabidsquid posted:

part of the reason that beth games are better on pc is that people can fix their loving games for them :v:

They haven't made a usable menu interface yet for this exact reason.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always find it ironic that Bethesda publish some of the most technically impressive games on console (DOOM, Wolfenstien) but then release FO4
Yeah exactly, publish. They can't make a game themselves for poo poo, but they happened to acquire some pretty good studios along the way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Yeah exactly, publish. They can't make a game themselves for poo poo, but they happened to acquire some pretty good studios along the way.
Maybe they should get those studios to make the rest of their games, or at least promote the studio heads to be over all their games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FO4 plays better than NV and has a way more fun wasteland to explore, even though the writing is even dumber than usual.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Maybe they should get those studios to make the rest of their games, or at least promote the studio heads to be over all their games.

FO and ES gameplay needs a special engine that remembers lots of little details so bethesda is not going to pay to make a new one until the one they have stops making money.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

FO and ES gameplay needs a special engine that remembers lots of little details so bethesda is not going to pay to make a new one until the one they have stops making money.
That doesn't explain bad animations and bad gameplay.

There's degrees of making money. If FO4 played better it would make more money than it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

rabidsquid posted:

what cross platform multiplayer are they blocking now?
PSN/Live multiplayer. The multiplayer that: Microsoft has straight-up opened the door to, Psyonix (Rocket League dev company) has said could be done as soon as they're allowed, and Sony has said it's "willing to have a conversation" about.

• Locked thread