Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Look around and you will find a deal. Especially with fall coming up fast.

I got my 2002 1200 sporty in the fall 3 or 4 years ago for $2500. 10k miles, 2 seats, leather covered hardbags, windshield, qd sissybar. All it needed was a front tire as it had a pretty bald one on there.

I found an area about an hour away that had an autoplant close and as result there were lots of bikes for sale. I found 5 different ones listed in the same town for $2500. Looked at a few, they were all fixer uppers. Had the printouts of the ads in my hand and went to look at the bike I ended up buying. Guy was asking $3700. I said I liked it but showed him the stack of 3 more for $2500 each I still had to look at and he went down to $2500.

I've put on a nacelle, crashbar, fork boots, different bars, brakes, a few sets of tires and 14000 trouble free miles.

1990s and newer sportsters are really great bikes. And the NOS parts are dirt cheap on ebay and craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Thanks for your input. Pubic.

I've been riding a 2005 KLR around since November as my first bike and I've found myself incredibly bored with it. I don't get in the dirt beyond riding the bike off the highway when I'm too tired to keep riding. As a result of this, I feel comfortable looking for a more street oriented bike. I wanna go fast. And I don't have much money. This is a problem.

I've been considering getting something like an FZ09 and making it capable of longer trips. but I keep looking at Harley bikes and it doesn't make any loving sense.

I really like how loud they can be. And I like the way they look when I really don't appreciate the aesthetic of 80% of the bikes I see on the road.

So here are my questions:

What are the fastest comfortable highway cruising speeds on a Sportster and a Dyna? I think I might be able to pick a Dyna up in portland for 4-6k and people tell me they're fast enough to be fun. I'm just sick of cruising at 75 on my KLR and pushing it as fast as it'll go constantly.

The idea of owning a more sporty bike is somewhat appealing, but most of them just look so loving dumb. I also would really like to be able to pack a good amount of poo poo onto the bike and ride in for a fairly long period of time. I've truly grown spoiled with the massive tank on my KLR.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Doing a 1250 kit, that's an interesting idea. Is that something I can do entirely in my garage? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, but once I get to drilling through metal I get a bit cautious.

A 2:1 is probably also a good idea. Any recommendations? I currently have the V&H Short Shots, because it's a XL1200N, and having those is the law.

Look at a 1250 kit from either Hammer Performance our NRHS. Both are fantastic outfits with ridiculous amounts of knowledge on evo sportsters. Give either a call and they'll tell you everything to buy including exhaust.

I ran an NRHS kit on my sportster and had a shop do the work but once I got it, realized I should have done it myself. They'll set the cylinders in the jugs for you so it becomes an easy job. Lots of YouTube videos on it from beginning to end.

With a 1250 kit, Andrews N4 cams, 1200r heads and a 2:1 exhaust, my bike was fun. It certainly had no shortage of power. I kept the 883 gearing so it would about rip your arms off from a stop if you got on it and it was a mild build. They've learned a lot more since then and have better cam grinds and head porting.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I've been riding a 2005 KLR around since November as my first bike and I've found myself incredibly bored with it. I don't get in the dirt beyond riding the bike off the highway when I'm too tired to keep riding. As a result of this, I feel comfortable looking for a more street oriented bike. I wanna go fast. And I don't have much money. This is a problem.

I've been considering getting something like an FZ09 and making it capable of longer trips. but I keep looking at Harley bikes and it doesn't make any loving sense.

I really like how loud they can be. And I like the way they look when I really don't appreciate the aesthetic of 80% of the bikes I see on the road.

What are the fastest comfortable highway cruising speeds on a Sportster and a Dyna? I think I might be able to pick a Dyna up in portland for 4-6k and people tell me they're fast enough to be fun. I'm just sick of cruising at 75 on my KLR and pushing it as fast as it'll go constantly.

The idea of owning a more sporty bike is somewhat appealing, but most of them just look so loving dumb. I also would really like to be able to pack a good amount of poo poo onto the bike and ride in for a fairly long period of time. I've truly grown spoiled with the massive tank on my KLR.

I can't speak to the sportster as I don't have a lot of seat time. But for the Dynas, I have a 08' 96" motor with the 6 speed, and it will run roughly 3k rpm at 80 mph. As far as luggage there are lots of options for any harley for soft bags / hard bags. You can also get a bigger sissy bar for the back to strap stuff to.

I would just caution against thinking these bikes will be "fast". They are cruisers and are tuned as such. The Dynas are specifically tuned to be very gentle on throttle. You can of course get a tune and change things to turn them into tire burners but it is not cheap.

Honestly if you are interested, just go to a harley dealership and go for a test ride on different bikes. That way you can get a idea of what it is like.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I can't speak for the sporty, but cruising at 80-85 on my 2014 Dyna is no trouble with plenty of juice left to pass if I need it.

Edit: I have the 103"

When I get out on the interstate- I want miles to disappear. The Dyna does this no sweat. Mine's a Wide Glide if it matters. I have it kitted out as a 2 up bagger and it holds plenty. If I'm solo the 2nd seat could hold a plenty big bag for longer trips.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

I mean, I know they're apples and oranges but I've gotten used to riding my KLR up and down the I5 going from the bay area to Vancouver, BC and it's a great bike that eats miles pretty well. Maybe me saying this is a marker of how little experience I have with other bikes. The thought of something being more comfortable than this for long riding is almost unbelievable with the number of ways I've found I can rest my legs on top of the gas tank when cruising.

I feel like pretty much anything I get is going to be nicer in one way or another. I guess I just don't really know what life is like with a smaller gas tank and all the other things that make the KLR somewhat average.. It's also hard to imagine not having a bike that I couldn't give a gently caress about cosmetically. I have been getting the hankering more and more lately to have a bike I'm proud of or something. Whatever the gently caress that means. I think I just want to be on a first date and not have who I'm with assume I'm a boring dad because of my bike.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Couple of examples of deals in your area;
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5744347427.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5712119349.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5715310019.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tourers are nice for doing miles. They aren't fast by any means (you have to plan to pass a semi from like a mile in advance and LOL if you ride it in Colorado elevations) but I like the old Road Kings, like a 1998. That old Evo motor would survive the apocalypse.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Just bought a $500 Harley leather riding jacket for 45% off at my HD dealer. Hells. Fuckin'. Yeah.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

To fill out my contextual understanding of the ways people operate and modify motorcycles; what would be the top five things guys like these would do to their bikes to make them what they want them to be? I imagine they give them a shorter gear ratio a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjIHoSTuU8

Not to say I dream to be one of these shitlords. They look like they're having fun. I'm just guessing if I were to own a Harley as my sole vehicle it would likely sit somewhere in between a stock cruiser and something a bit more capable of immediate responses like these guys' bikes seem to be.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 22, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can get pretty much any bike to wheelie if you want it bad enough. Those guys might not even have changed the gearing (though shorter gears would help with that, yes). I notice they're holding the wheelies more vertically than people usually do on sportbikes, which probably has to do with the weight distribution of a long, heavy thing like a cruiser.

If you mean what do professional stunters do to their bikes? Usually much shorter gearing with giant rear sprockets, a redesigned rear brake system with a much larger rotor and stronger calipers, and a new dedicated lever on the handlebars for the rear brake. The fuel and engine oil pickups may be rerouted to handle long-term use in a vertical position, and the tank and seat will be re-angled for better ergonomics.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

I wasn't interested in going as far as making stunt oriented modifications. It's interesting to know what people change on their bikes, though. Thanks!

I guess I just have the impression that these things are gigantic pigs that take forever to accelerate. I should really go out and ride one. Gotta stack some paper first.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
To wheelie one you have to want it enough. Enough to be willing to buy a new gearbox.

Or get a H-D powered Buell and do it on accident.

But still budget for that gearbox.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I wasn't interested in going as far as making stunt oriented modifications. It's interesting to know what people change on their bikes, though. Thanks!

I guess I just have the impression that these things are gigantic pigs that take forever to accelerate. I should really go out and ride one. Gotta stack some paper first.

Yah the thing you have to remember these bikes are big cubic inch motors. They make a lot of torque and in the case of a dyna it will have plenty of grunt down low. They just run out of oomph up top. Think big block muscle cars, plenty of grunt down low but not a lot of top end. I think the new dynas are like almost 100hp and at least that in torque.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I imagine it'd be pretty hard to get a cruiser to just outright power wheelie, even with all that torque, but doing a clutch-up should be pretty straightforward. With all the weight, they'd come up slowly, so you're probably at less risk of 12-o'clocking it than on a more sporty bike.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
If a Rocket III can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rla9KU0m808

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Saw these guys at the local H-D dealership earlier this summer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw86U23c3ms

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My 2002 1200 sportster tops out around 100mph and can comfortably cruise around 70-80. But keep in mind they only have a 5 speed tranny so unless you pay as much as a used sportster costs to get an aftermarket 6 speed you will be running at a decent RPM over 70. Not a huge issue besides vibration and a bit extra oil consumption. The rubber mount motors 04+ may be a bit smoother if you want to run highways all day.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/products/xl6-for-sportster

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 25, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Just get a Ulysses though. Its 1200 his the rev limiter at 130ish. And it eats miles for breakfast. 1000 miles in a weekend is not uncomfortable. I just got street tires on mine add it is incredible.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Pubic Lair posted:

My 2002 1200 sportster tops out around 100mph and can comfortably cruise around 70-80. But keep in mind they only have a 5 speed tranny so unless you pay as much as a used sportster costs to get an aftermarket 6 speed you will be running at a decent RPM over 70. Not a huge issue besides vibration and a bit extra oil consumption. The rubber mount motors 04+ may be a bit smoother if you want to run highways all day.

curious if synthetic would help with the oil consumption. more of a curiosity

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The ugly eats synthetic oil if I'm cruising over 4k. I think it just throws it through the PCV. Like 1/8 qt every 400-500 miles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Pubic Lair posted:

What kind of RPMs are you looking at 80mph if it tops out at 100? Also, how much vibration via handlebars?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I run mobile 1. Someone put a breather bypass kit on before I bought it so it has a tube that runs straight down and at high enough rpms that seems to lose a bit as was already mentioned.

No idea what the rpms are, I'll have to take it out and see. I mainly cruise country roads at 60mph so other than a few trips I haven't had it up that fast.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

As for vibration it's not terrible, but I have the retro rubber grips, superbike bars and gel padded gloves so that will effect it some compared to the buckhorns that were stock.

It's been a while but this is how the bike looked in the CL ad for $3500

When I went to look at it/buy it for $2500. Ended up having a K&N, Pcv bypass, Screaming eagle pipes the seller didn't even know were installed

As I mentioned I swapped the seat as it came with 2, ditched the sissybar/windshield, removed all the harley logos except the tank paint, added fork boots, headlight nacelle, crash bar, white walls, tail visor. I also painted the air cleaner and battery box black and put lollipop baffles in the pipes in place of the stock baffles.

I kinda wanted a 50's K Model look but harley only makes a 48 and a 72.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Looks sick, man.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, I think it's from watching the movie IQ way too many times as a child

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

HaB posted:

I can't speak for the sporty, but cruising at 80-85 on my 2014 Dyna is no trouble with plenty of juice left to pass if I need it.

Edit: I have the 103"

When I get out on the interstate- I want miles to disappear. The Dyna does this no sweat. Mine's a Wide Glide if it matters. I have it kitted out as a 2 up bagger and it holds plenty. If I'm solo the 2nd seat could hold a plenty big bag for longer trips.

Post pics. Fellow Wide Glide rider here, looking for options to make more tour-friendly.

Mine currently. Not much done but a rear pillion delete and swaps to street bob aircleaner and exhaust.

Original

Hung the old exhaust on my son's bed.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
Hi friends.

After 10 years of riding two different Honda Shadows (which I loved), I'm making the switch to the Harley brand.

I'm planning on buying a new Street 750 in the next 2 or 3 weeks from a Harley dealer. But I have no idea how to buy a new bike from a dealer! Do I have to pay sticker price? Can I negotiate on pricing? There are a million car buying websites that show what people really pay, but nothing for motorcycles.

I am in need of serious advice on how to get a fair deal. To add additional information, I'm planning on trading in my POS car (a 2000 Nissan) that has a blue book value of about $1750. Any advice? I'd prefer not to walk into the dealership like a lamb to the slaughter.

Thanks all!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I just bought a BMW from a combination Harley/BMW dealer.

They took my Kawasaki in trade but did not offer book for it because they immediately sold it to a Kawasaki dealer. Apparently, if it's not BMW or Harley they didn't want it on the showroom floor. They did negotiate on how much they gave me for it. I could have done better selling it myself but the extra couple hundred dollars is not worth dealing with craigslist people for. I imagine the same applies to your Nissan.

They did negotiate on price and threw in $1300 in accessories installed. So yeah, it was like buying a car from a dealer.

As always, ymmv.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

gp2k posted:

Hi friends.

After 10 years of riding two different Honda Shadows (which I loved), I'm making the switch to the Harley brand.

I'm planning on buying a new Street 750 in the next 2 or 3 weeks from a Harley dealer. But I have no idea how to buy a new bike from a dealer! Do I have to pay sticker price? Can I negotiate on pricing? There are a million car buying websites that show what people really pay, but nothing for motorcycles.

I am in need of serious advice on how to get a fair deal. To add additional information, I'm planning on trading in my POS car (a 2000 Nissan) that has a blue book value of about $1750. Any advice? I'd prefer not to walk into the dealership like a lamb to the slaughter.

Thanks all!

I know nothing about the street other than they came out a few years ago. A harley specific forum would have more info on if they are selling well, if they aren't then you probably have more wiggle room at a dealer.

Call every dealer in a 100 mile circle and see what their pricing is on the bike. Some will probably have better prices or previous year models on sale while others will not go below sticker. You are better starting with a lowball offer and working up in price than starting at sticker and trying to bargain down. Most HD dealers like to stay with sticker price and easily get it so they may be hard to get anywhere with unless the streets aren't selling. My local dealer has them hidden in a back used bike storeroom so they can push you towards a $10k sportster. And while accessories are nice they are super overpriced at a dealer and only are worth it if you would have bought them anyways.

A motorcycle dealer will likely offer $500 for your car if they even take car trade ins. Better to sell it on craigslist than trade it in. and when you say $1750 are you talking trade, private party or dealer price? Also even places like carmax won't go near bluebook on a car that's 10+ years old because at that point all they do is wholesale them out.

I don't own a street but based on what happened to Buell I'm guessing the dealers don't like the street and it may not be around for long. Also other harley riders will poo poo on you constantly for owning one. That said they look like neat bikes.

Also if you are financing get the rate at a local credit union before buying through harley, you will probably save quite a bit.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 9, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

gp2k posted:

Hi friends.

Thanks all!

Depending on your location, riding season is winding down and you could probably get a nice deal if you look around and maybe be patient for end of model year sales. You'll have more bargaining power if you're looking at slightly used bikes. Look for a small Harley that somebody traded up from; they have trade-up programs so there will always be barely-used ones.

Are you set on a Street? They are not Harley's finest.

I'd recommend a Sporty over one every time, 883 1200 doesn't matter, it's the best engine they've made and there are a bajillion farkles and chrome bits to buy for them. The new Roadster looks rad.

At least ride a couple models side by side if you can, if you haven't.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Are you set on a Street? They are not Harley's finest.

I'd recommend a Sporty over one every time, 883 1200 doesn't matter, it's the best engine they've made and there are a bajillion farkles and chrome bits to buy for them. The new Roadster looks rad.

There's also the issues a bunch of people have been reporting with the brakes on the Street 750's failing that would steer anyone with sense away from them for now.
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-street-750s-brakes-completely-fail-in-m-1729350316

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

The new Roadster looks rad.

I went to a H-D demo event and rode the Superlow S and the Roadster.

The Roadster was super fun. I liked the seating position, the engine was decent, and even the brakes were pretty good! I rode the Superlow first, and holy poo poo the brakes (coming, admittedly, from an FZ-09 where I can make a full stop from highway speeds using only my pinky) were abysmal. But the Roadster seems like a bike on which I could really have fun. You could ride it aggressively, toss it around, and also rev people's faces off at stoplights.

Also, you can stand on the pegs over bumps! The only thing I would change is to get some smaller pegs without the rubber on them, and I was irritated that the turn signals are one on each side. But also, self-cancelling turn signals!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

captainOrbital posted:

But also, self-cancelling turn signals!

60% of the time, they work every time!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Owner of a new 2016 street 750, here, to chime in about the bike.

I'm a newbie to riding, and so, admit to not knowing a lot about bikes in general, so if you want to dismiss this, that is your discretion:

I like it.
It's great in town.
It's not perfect.
I can tell, even as a new biker, that they cut corners here and there to cut costs.
The only "negative" I got was from a Chinese gas station attendant who remarked rather disdainfully that he couldn't believe Harley was selling bikes made in india.
Positive comments on the other hand, have been pretty consistent.
No ABS on mine, but it has been extremely forgiving despite all the mistakes I've made on it, as a novice.

I think at least one other poster in here has one. If you have any questions about it, I can try to answer.

Btw, I paid 2500 below msrp.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

The only thing I would change is to get some smaller pegs without the rubber on them, and I was irritated that the turn signals are one on each side.

RSD rearsets.

I'm also annoyed by the two-handed indicators. My wife's Beemer has those, they are the worst. Every time I try to cancel the signal, I hit the horn switch, and she has a fuckoff loud horn so I don't know how I haven't pissed myself on it yet.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Took me a while coming from Metric bikes to get used to the two hand turn signals, but it became second nature after a coupla weeks of steady riding. Now I have the opposite problem - if I get on a friends metric I'll thumb the starter if I'm not careful when turning right.

:v:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
750 owner here. 3rd bike, sold it for an sv650 after a year. it's reliable, forgiving, easy to pick up after a drop. GET THE BARS AT THE DEALER. you don't want to install those fuckers yourself, look up the instructions and see.

brakes: horrible. that article doesn't exaggerate, i genuinely think those brakes should be illegal. they have no heat tolerance and slow cool down times. if someone wiser here can recommend new shoes and/or discs, fine, but as they are you're in real danger as a new rider.

pros: you get to learn about brake fade even in city riding.

cons: you'll die

overall i liked it for what it was, a light, sporty, 'cafe' style bike but it's gas tank is smaller than your balls and its brakes suck. if you buy it new in the u.s., it'll have been made in Wisconsin, not India

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

The Bananana posted:

I'm a newbie to riding, and so, admit to not knowing a lot about bikes in general, so if you want to dismiss this, that is your discretion:

I like it.
It's great in town.
It's not perfect.
I can tell, even as a new biker, that they cut corners here and there to cut costs.
The only "negative" I got was from a Chinese gas station attendant who remarked rather disdainfully that he couldn't believe Harley was selling bikes made in india.
No ABS on mine, but it has been extremely forgiving despite all the mistakes I've made on it, as a novice.

I think at least one other poster in here has one. If you have any questions about it, I can try to answer.

Thanks for this helpful response!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

The Bananana posted:

I like it.
It's great in town.
It's not perfect.

BTW are you saying you paid $5000 for a brand new street 750? What country/state was this?

• Locked thread