Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Right now is probably the worst time to buy wireless headphones. Assuming apple's theory is right and the average person is ready to shell out for wireless audio the next year is probably going to see an explosion in options. I would hold off on buying anything for a few months. Also if those AirPods sound like the earpods that have been coming with iPhones for the past few years they aren't worth $50 let alone $160.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Since like two iOS updates ago I need to press the play button on my headphone cord a minimum of twice to get the podcast app to continue playing. Anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Unmature posted:

Since like two iOS updates ago I need to press the play button on my headphone cord a minimum of twice to get the podcast app to continue playing. Anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Still works as expected for me. Have you tried a different set of headphones? Your button could be going out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Weedle posted:

Still works as expected for me. Have you tried a different set of headphones? Your button could be going out.

Possible, but it's an official iPhone headphone that I got like two months ago. It knows I'm hitting the button because a double tap still skips ahead. It's probably not a sensitivity issue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unmature posted:

Possible, but it's an official iPhone headphone that I got like two months ago. It knows I'm hitting the button because a double tap still skips ahead. It's probably not a sensitivity issue.

Same thing happens to me with my Plantronics headset. I just... hit it again.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dialectics posted:

My cats inevitably find a way to step on my phone screen and leave a nice scratch. I hate screen protectors, but have resorted to using them for this sole purpose.

You should consider a case for your cats' paws

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Same thing happens to me with my Plantronics headset. I just... hit it again.

Maybe you have all the time in the world, but I don't!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm well aware that it's a thing, but their ethnicity is not important at all unless you believe it would be a perfectly acceptable practice if a white family did the same thing.

I apologize to all Chinese people and everyone affected by my post that mentioned the phrase "Chinese family". I deeply regret it and hope that, in time, they can forgive the damage and hurt this post has caused.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I apologize to all Chinese people and everyone affected by my post that mentioned the phrase "Chinese family". I deeply regret it and hope that, in time, they can forgive the damage and hurt this post has caused.

Also Apple's been selling directly in China since the iPhone 6 so I think the "buy in the US and import to China" is less of a thing for all those families that do it that might or might not be Chinese.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Cool article from April of this year about the Chinese market for iPhones, including smugglers like the large Chinese family:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/technology/apple-china-iphone-earnings.html?_r=0

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

I'm well aware that it's a thing, but their ethnicity is not important at all unless you believe it would be a perfectly acceptable practice if a white family did the same thing.

https://9to5mac.com/2015/01/12/iphone-suit/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fordan posted:

Also Apple's been selling directly in China since the iPhone 6 so I think the "buy in the US and import to China" is less of a thing for all those families that do it that might or might not be Chinese.

Nope. I saw Chinese people walking out of the 5th Ave store with bags of iPhones right around the time the 6S launched and I went in for a laptop repair. It's still very much A Thing because our taxes are so low.

It's not exclusively a Chinese thing but 99% of the time I see it, it's them. There's nothing wrong with it and IDGAF but people used to get Real Mad about it when launches were a big deal like the 4.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's actually very important because by identifying the family as Chinese the original poster made it known than he was the victim of large cross-national socio-economic forces beyond his immediate control when it came to his inability to purchase an iPhone. If he hadn't it would not have been clear.

It's okay dude I'm an Obama voter who gets really mad when retards say "All Live Matter" so trust me here....you're allowed to identify people by nationality, I just looked it up in the PC handbook.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
To be fair, I do the same thing with crab legs at a Chinese buffet and they get Real Mad at me too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I thought in New York City there are poor old Chinese people (grandmas and such) that are paid to wait in line for the phones, then they give them to whoever pays them, then those people send the phones home and sell them for a markup....
Is that dead now? I thought that was something the mob did.

I thought that was a real thing.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

I thought in New York City there are poor old Chinese people (grandmas and such) that are paid to wait in line for the phones, then they give them to whoever pays them, then those people send the phones home and sell them for a markup....

It's still a thing but the profits are less enticing for large Chinese families here in the states because the Chinese smartphone market has become more efficient, lots of people who want a smartphone already have one, and demand has dropped as well as less-compelling innovation in new iPhone models.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pivo posted:

It is but we are not allowed to say "Chinese people" you have to say just "people"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pivo posted:

这是一个真实的东西。我现在正坐在在苹果商店线。

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

glassyalabolas posted:

what screen protectors are you goons using? I bought a cheap $8 2 pack glass from Spigen but it's probably gonna fit like poo poo.

Let me fit this 4 dollar screen protector on my 800 dollar phone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If you would rather pay $40 for the same product there are plenty of companies that will sell it to you.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

If you would rather pay $40 for the same product there are plenty of companies that will sell it to you.

I'd rather put nothing

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Do you buy Monster Cables too?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just keep my phone in a zip loc bag. It's cheap, replaceable, and I can play with it when I'm taking a dude bath

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I'm stuck in a black hole with the iPhone upgrade program and idk what the to do. My phone isn't appearing as eligible. I can't reserve a phone in store to swap mine out but I can order a new phone on a new upgrade plan which means double payments if they mail it to me.

There appears to be people with the same issue but apple support is completely clueless as to how to fix this. Is anyone else here in the same boat and managed to reserve a phone?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

I'm stuck in a black hole with the iPhone upgrade program and idk what the to do. My phone isn't appearing as eligible. I can't reserve a phone in store to swap mine out but I can order a new phone on a new upgrade plan which means double payments if they mail it to me.

There appears to be people with the same issue but apple support is completely clueless as to how to fix this. Is anyone else here in the same boat and managed to reserve a phone?

The best move is to keep your existing phone.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Glumwheels posted:

Why do you have to mention the hole is black?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Why do you have to mention the hole is black?

It could be chinese or a chinese family

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This chinese family is like a black hole for iphones

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can upgrade your phone bought with AUP once you've made 12 payments (or more specifically, paid for half the cost of the phone). Documentation sent via email when I bought my 6S last fall said if you don't meet the halfway point you can pay the difference to get there.

What's unclear to me is when/where you pay this difference.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What was the last iPhone innovation that was legitimately amazing and had everyone freaking out about? Siri (lol)? Retina display?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

moist turtleneck posted:

This chinese family is like a black hole for iphones

So...chinese holes?

Does Apple Care cover that?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

beergod posted:

What was the last iPhone innovation that was legitimately amazing and had everyone freaking out about? Siri (lol)? Retina display?

Basically anything an android phone already did

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

beergod posted:

3g

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

beergod posted:

Retina was pretty boss, especially when paired with the best iPhone formfactor ever.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

beergod posted:

We live in a world where last year's iPhone laps the latest android phones in speed tests but people want sick innovations like having the first water resistant phone that actually fails waterproofing tests

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

We live in a world where last year's iPhone laps the latest android phones in speed tests but people want sick innovations like having the first water resistant phone that actually fails waterproofing tests

Don't forget MMS and gps, those things will never catch on

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Will you be able to put an iPhone 7 into a glass of water? Will anyone?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

beergod posted:

Some would say, though they may be Chinese (not that it matters), that the greatest innovation Apple ever had was convincing people that their phone was so good that you could make a ton of money buying them and exporting them back to the very country in which they were assembled. It was an innovation that brought many a family, of all types of ethnicity, together, in line at an Apple store.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I always roll with black leather. I hope third party makes a black lightning to 3.5 adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Housh posted:

I always roll with black leather. I hope third party makes a black lightning to 3.5 adapter.

All cases matter