Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nice to know they have a Hydraulic Press YouTube channel on Kaladesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

Flickerwisp + Emrakul?

Either they lose Emrakul right away or they keep a Flickerwisp and you keep Emrakul?

I dunno, pretty dubious but cool too

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Walked posted:

Flickerwisp + Emrakul?

Either they lose Emrakul right away or they keep a Flickerwisp and you keep Emrakul?

I dunno, pretty dubious but cool too

Can you actually reliably have both in the top 10 cards of your deck though? If you whiff on either of them, you whiff completely.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

Where did you see this? I don't remember reading about this at all.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-eldritch-moon-part-2-2016-07-29

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Entropic posted:

Can you actually reliably have both in the top 10 cards of your deck though? If you whiff on either of them, you whiff completely.

As long as one of the options is a flicker card (Flickerwisp, and/or Glimmerpoint Stag) and something Better than a flicker card - then yes, probably.

I mean, it's 100% janky and would never work in a competitive build, but it may be fun to put jank together and run it at FNM

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Congregation at Dawn would mean you could do that fairly easily if you felt so inclined.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Congregation at Dawn would mean you could do that fairly easily if you felt so inclined.

We did it guys. GW-EmrakulFlickerCheat.dec is ready for the next Modern GP

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Walked posted:

We did it guys. GW-EmrakulFlickerCheat.dec is ready for the next Modern GP

Month and a half from now, Congregation and Flickerwisp will have Mishra's Bauble-type price spikes.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This seems quite strong.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

sarmhan posted:

This seems quite strong.

This is one card I can actually see an argument for as a sideboard card for modern Affinity. It can probably do enough against burn and other aggressive decks to be OK. But I'm not sure you want to replace an aggressive card with something that doesn't really impact the board.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Angry Grimace posted:

Good removal spell, but B/R is kind of lovely in constructed and who knows how good it is in limited but with cards like this, red seems real good in limited

I thought they don't attribute flavor text if the speaker is the person in the art.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

If this wasn't a may it would be hilarious with Phage the Untouchable

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

If this wasn't a may it would be hilarious with Phage the Untouchable

Or Leveler

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

There are gonna be a lot of poor souls at the prerelease who put Dubstep Challenge in their deck thinking that they will get to put all the creatures they looked at on the battlefield except for the one their opponent chooses.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

just rust posted:

There are gonna be a lot of poor souls at the prerelease who put Dubstep Challenge in their deck thinking that they will get to put all the creatures they looked at on the battlefield except for the one their opponent chooses.

That's how I read it at first, too. It's really loving poorly worded.

I can only think of uses for it in commander.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought the unleashing of the invention fires inside everyone was the entire point of the inventor's fair?

What exactly is she rebelling against?

At the inventor's fair contestants get unlimited aether use, but normally aether is strictly controlled and rationed by the government, leading to a black market for it which Pia and Kiran were a major part of. I imagine that's her main critique, along with the whole "tried to kill her whole family" thing.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

sarmhan posted:

This seems quite strong.

If artifacts gain traction in constructed this will see a ton of play just because it's an Emrakul answer at instant speed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Retromancer posted:

At the inventor's fair contestants get unlimited aether use, but normally aether is strictly controlled and rationed by the government, leading to a black market for it which Pia and Kiran were a major part of. I imagine that's her main critique, along with the whole "tried to kill her whole family" thing.

So our heroes are libertarian anarchists who like to commit arson

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Retromancer posted:

So basically, nobody gets to perform magic unless regulated by the government, or by pulling directly from the environment, which is apparently illegal.

So basically everyone is oppressed unless you're a government official.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Retromancer posted:

If artifacts gain traction in constructed this will see a ton of play just because it's an Emrakul answer at instant speed.

I mean, Sinister Concoction exists and sees almost no play.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Sinister Concoction has costs, Underhanded Designs has upside (admittedly with some requirements).

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Does Affinity really have the mana to spend on extorting it's opponents? I don't think so. Anyway, I'm really loving the flying vehicle looter. It doesn't even have to connect to get the loot on, which is good since you have to tap a creature for it.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Sinister Concoction exists and sees almost no play.

Sinister concoction costs a life, and 1 card. This requires you simply to be in an artifact matters deck. Of course it might not see play if the Artifacts matters decks isn't a real deck, but we will see.

Anyone want to take bets on if we will get a Shock or not? I'm betting not because A) only creatures and planeswalkers are supposed to be good anymore and B) they probably decided it was too dangerous as long as Chandra was in standard

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

Sinister concoction costs a life, and 1 card. This requires you simply to be in an artifact matters deck. Of course it might not see play if the Artifacts matters decks isn't a real deck, but we will see.

Anyone want to take bets on if we will get a Shock or not? I'm betting not because A) only creatures and planeswalkers are supposed to be good anymore and B) they probably decided it was too dangerous as long as Chandra was in standard

I would not be surprised to see forked bolt, because this format has a shitton of 1/1s that will be running around.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

anglachel posted:

I could definitely see a 2 damage for R spell of some sort in the set, but what it won't be allowed to do is go face, because WoTC is deathly afraid of burn being able to go face in this day and age while still being playable.

EDIT: Come to think of it, what playable artifact removal will there be once this set releases? Because it looks like when we weren't looking that enchantment/artifact removal got hit with the same nerfs that creature removal got hit with (i.e. hard removal got pushed to CMC 3 from CMC 2). The one mana white sorcery is a very good start, but it doesn't hit the large artifacts like the flagship.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 9, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Very tempting to pick up a set of nissa's at 20...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Could you use that Green donate a creature thing with Phage?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Walked posted:

As long as one of the options is a flicker card (Flickerwisp, and/or Glimmerpoint Stag) and something Better than a flicker card - then yes, probably.

I mean, it's 100% janky and would never work in a competitive build, but it may be fun to put jank together and run it at FNM

The purpose of the card is EDH poo poo where you give yourself and your buddy a critter each to gang up on the guy playing degenerate combo.

AceClown posted:

Could you use that Green donate a creature thing with Phage?

You literally lose the game if you do that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have Natural State in green. Smash to Smithereens is rotating so I assume we'll see another Shatter variant.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

I would not be surprised to see forked bolt, because this format has a shitton of 1/1s that will be running around.

We already have Dual Shot though?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going to finish creating this set and draft it.

https://imgur.com/a/0sYjt

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm going to finish creating this set and draft it.

https://imgur.com/a/0sYjt

Those are gross as hell

Count Bleck posted:

We already have Dual Shot though?

For limited

anglachel
May 28, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

I could definitely see a 2 damage for R spell of some sort in the set, but what it won't be allowed to do is go face, because WoTC is deathly afraid of burn being able to go face in this day and age while still being playable.

EDIT: Come to think of it, what playable artifact removal will there be once this set releases? Because it looks like when we weren't looking that enchantment/artifact removal got hit with the same nerfs that creature removal got hit with (i.e. hard removal got pushed to CMC 3 from CMC 2). The one mana white sorcery is a very good start, but it doesn't hit the large artifacts like the flagship.

What I'm curious if even like 1 Red, 2 damage to the face (but can't target a creature) with like some random set mechnica like do X if you have an artifact or gain an energy is even printable anymore by Wizards logic

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Daily reminder that we had two playable burn spells that go face last set.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just reprint Lightning Bolt

Make Red Great Again

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Daily reminder that we had two playable burn spells that go face last set.

They are much more hesitant to make it "target creature or player" than they used to be though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Just reprint Lightning Bolt

stop suggesting this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The end result of reprinting Lightning Bolt would be everyone complaining about Lightning Bolt the entire time it's in standard past the first two months or so.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Lord of Hats posted:

The end result of reprinting Lightning Bolt would be everyone complaining about Lightning Bolt the entire time it's in standard past the first two months or so.

I know, it'd be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
There's no way they'll reprint Lightning Bolt, or Shock for that matter. They probably wouldn't even reprint Scorching Spear, because that can go to the face too easily or something.

• Locked thread