Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the archeology labs are mostly chemistry. I haven't done any of that since high school, so I'm pretty wary but it's a pretty exciting field within the Classics dept. Someone was able to analyze residue on drinking vessels and recreate Roman wine, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

First of all, classes start tomorrow but I'll talk more after questions:

Does the Post 9/11 cover books?
If no, who does?
If yes, how do I buy them? My own money and keep the receipt?
12 hours a semester correct? I hope so because 2 of my classes are going to be 6 hour weeks but only count for 3.
My goal is to get a double major and a minor. How the gently caress do you even say that? Like "I have a bachelors with a double major in communications and visual arts as well as a minor in photography,"?
How long did it take for you guys to get noticed peeping butts? San Diego weather and it's almost like they aren't even trying to put clothes on anymore.
What are some things to look into to get some extra cash? Everything helps and I'd rather not get a part time job to support my family but whatever I gotta do.
Does anyone know a good VA Liaison or whatever they are called that I can talk to about my ratings and making new appeals or whatever?
How long after you fill out the Voc Rehab application on the ebenefits site do you typically get a call? I think I'm sitting on a week now.

So the update:

I am officially attending University of San Diego and holy poo poo is this school awesome. It's up in the hills of San Diego and is just beautiful to stand up top and look around. They also have a LOT of pokestops so that's also kinda neat to see. I signed up for Italian, communications and 2 arts classes this semester. I'm actually really pumped about it because I'll be learning it for 3 semesters in a row so I'll be pretty proficient at the end. 3 semesters is mandatory and since my wife speaks Italian, we're going to speak it in the house when I get good enough. I got here after trying to sell my house (hopefully tomorrow) and having to scrape up 9k liquid cash to pay off the rest of the mortgage because our appraisal came in about 3-4k under and we already agreed to help with closing costs just so that we could sell it quickly. Our bank decided that we weren't good enough to have a loan so hence the reason liquid cash. This is after the medboard, the process, the bullshit, the crappy crap, the sadbrains poo poo. poo poo is lookin up. We have a nice apartment, I have the ESSA animal letter from a doc which lets me keep my pets in a "No Pets" complex with no charges. In about a year we will hopefully make our last move to a house or condo that we really like and sit down for good.

The next few years is gonna be awesome. The Vets up at this school seem really chill too, so that's good too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The va will pay out a 500 dollar book stipend every semester

It's cash so do whatever you want with it.

Here's a tip: buy ebooks on Amazon, rip the drm, and return them

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to be nice to the probably slightly mentally disabled kid in class because I legit feel bad for him. He makes it so hard because man he says some truly dumb poo poo in class, but its gotta be at least partly because this kid's high school that he went to had 9 graduating seniors last year. Think about that. 9 seniors, so like what the same 30 people if you give him a class up and down, he probably doesn't even know or whatever. IDK I got high and imagined this really sad story for him this past weekend and resolved to be a better person to him, I talk the talk about being nice but can I walk the walk? I just said hi in the hallway to him and we shook hands and he acted like we were bffs forever afterwards. The professors keep passing off his questions about updating his computer to windows 8.1 until after class then ignoring him. So I guess on thursday if he's still having trouble I'll stay after class and help.

I really want to talk him out of installing win 8 but ohwell thats what my stupid class is on so i guess it makes sense

I just dont want the dude to drop out just because no one talked to him or whatever :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Book stipend is actually 1000/year not 500/semester. It's based off whatever your certifying official plugs into VA-ONCE, and the VA considers 24 semester credits a year to be a full load.

If you're like my school, you plug literally everyone in that is full time at 12CR, which is the textbook definition of full time. This results in roughly 500/semester.

If your certifying official plugs you in at 15 or 18, you will get a higher book stipend until you exhaust it.

I mention this because if you're going full time, and your official plugs you in at 15 or 18, you will run dry if you take a winter/spring break/summer course.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WELL ARENT YOU A SMART GUY

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i did do this poo poo for a living for 4ish years so you would fukkin hope so

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Last semester I had anime kid falling asleep whenever he wasn't talking about goku or whatever the gently caress. This time around I watched a kid spit into his hand and start rubbing it into his finger that he was playing with the entire class. Day one of fall semester. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Edit:
And I'm not talking hand to mouth spit into it, like 8-9 inches below dropped a wad of spit into his hand and I was the only one in a position to view it happening.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm looking at my last and easiest semester here. Wasn't anticipating it either. I've had 2 GIS heavy classes every semester except last summer when I had 17 credits worth of stuff, and one of those classes was a 40 hour a week field school. Turns out the GIS course I'm in to finish out is mostly aimed at enviromental scientists and geology students, and the only prereq is GIS I. After Advanced Remote Sensing and Geospatial Stats last semester I could do this class in my sleep. My other 3 classes are pretty reasonable too.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Vasudus posted:

If your certifying official plugs you in at 15 or 18, you will get a higher book stipend until you exhaust it.

I mention this because if you're going full time, and your official plugs you in at 15 or 18, you will run dry if you take a winter/spring break/summer course.

Make sure to do your FAFSA especially cause of stuff like this. The pell grant is real and it's your friend (and helping pay for my books next semester)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Always file for fafsa and remember to claim a loss of income appeal if you're newly separated.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
be careful hct that kid might end up trying to kill you

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Always file for fafsa and remember to claim a loss of income appeal if you're newly separated.

what is a loss of income appeal?

I did FASFA but I'm kind of unsure how to use it. I did do the Pell Grant because Tuition is too expensive without that AND the Yellow Ribbon AND Pell apparently.

The va will pay out a 500 dollar book stipend every semester

It's cash so do whatever you want with it.

Here's a tip: buy ebooks on Amazon, rip the drm, and return them

how do you do this? Could you PM me if it's to :filez: ?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
just checkin, if i sign up for a photography class because i want to take an interesting class this quarter and also make sure i get fulltime, will the gi bill pay for me getting a camera and whatever else is required for the course?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

just checkin, if i sign up for a photography class because i want to take an interesting class this quarter and also make sure i get fulltime, will the gi bill pay for me getting a camera and whatever else is required for the course?

GI no, Vocrehab probably not

good news is 300 bucks and it should be tax deductible since you did purchase it for school

Also photography course is super loving easy once you get past the technical bullshit

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GI Bill will pay for it if the expense if the course is calculated in your regular tuition & fees. There's a high probability this is not the case.

Like if you sign up for it and your bill reads

PHOTOGRAPHY 100 - 2456.78
PHOTO LAB FEES - 666.66

Then you're probably covered just fine assuming you don't hit your cap on tuition & fees.

If you show up on the first day and they say 'those who don't have a camera have to rent one' then you're SOL.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the Coast Guard is paying to send me to school for my master's. Looking at a dual MBA and either Finance or Accounting for my two degrees. Letters of recommendations shouldn't be a problem, but it's been forever since I've done a resume or a personal essay. I've got an idea of what I want it to say in my personal essay (basically why I think my GMAT sucks and it's not indicative or my performance overall), but the resume I'm lost on.

Would anyone be willing to share some examples they've used for resumes or point me in the right direction? 10 years of active duty combined with 5 tours within those ten years, plus trying to put something in about my accounting background before I joined seems like a pain in the rear end.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I can send you my resume. Got an email?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Uh me too plz pahn366@yaboo.com

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You mean yahoo?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's taboo

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Civilian.cures.military@gmail.com

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
This is supposed to be about BANGING HOT CHICKS with FREE MONEY but youre talijng about helping retards

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

anne frank fanfic posted:

This is supposed to be about BANGING HOT CHICKS with FREE MONEY but youre talijng about helping retards

This is about helping retards bang hot chicks with free money so it's on point.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yoga butts in full force today.

Saw my first tube top in like 10 years too.

I feel old :negative:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy next to me in class yesterday spent the entire hour and a half playing Modern Warfare II.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Casimir Radon posted:

Guy next to me in class yesterday spent the entire hour and a half playing Modern Warfare II.

i did that sometimes with quake live tbh for classes i just had to show up in

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i did that sometimes with quake live tbh for classes i just had to show up in
There really aren't enough people in that class that you could get away with it for long. Ironically this is a People and Culture of the Middle East class.

I've certainly taken breaks when working in the library to play some Doom.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i do my homework in class but thats just me I'm a nerd

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I do mine in the breaks between classes so that I don't have as much when I get home. gently caress I can't wait for this semester to be over so that I can be done with this college poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo, attendance is mandatory at my school. To the point where you drop a third a letter grade if you skip.

I also played Yoga Butt bingo today and saw Daisy Dukes with butt cheek hanging out, camel toe on another and this loving shirt poncho thing? Like a shirt with no sides? Whatever her loving boobs were out through the gap she didn't have a shirt. Well bra but still.

I know I'm getting old where I am more amazed these people leave the house like this than I am breaking my neck.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

poo poo, attendance is mandatory at my school. To the point where you drop a third a letter grade if you skip.

I also played Yoga Butt bingo today and saw Daisy Dukes with butt cheek hanging out, camel toe on another and this loving shirt poncho thing? Like a shirt with no sides? Whatever her loving boobs were out through the gap she didn't have a shirt. Well bra but still.

I know I'm getting old where I am more amazed these people leave the house like this than I am breaking my neck.

I am so sorry for you

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Attendance is usually required for lower level classes because it's a accreditation thing. If your total overall attendance drops (like, program-wide) then you run the risk of having your program put on probation. Kids always want to skip low level classes hence why there's a penalty attached to it.

Unless your university or department sets a mandate for ALL classes, it usually stops once you get into the upper divisions. My junior/senior/grad program didn't have any attendance requirements because you were hosed if you missed too many classes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Go to loving class.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

Go to loving class.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am you cunts.

The main issue is 1 class that I have to take but shouldn't because I am well aware how to video edit and did it for 6 years. So excuse me if I wanna miss the lecture because the class is small and we have already been warned about playing with phones in class. I'll do the work but holy poo poo let me miss some of the 3 hour class to do 10 minutes of work

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

I am you cunts.

The main issue is 1 class that I have to take but shouldn't because I am well aware how to video edit and did it for 6 years. So excuse me if I wanna miss the lecture because the class is small and we have already been warned about playing with phones in class. I'll do the work but holy poo poo let me miss some of the 3 hour class to do 10 minutes of work

You're getting certification for how to do work, no being taught how to do it. Enjoy the BAH and try to learn as much as you can from the professor. Its not gonna be taught to your level so try not to focus on the bureaucracy of it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. The biggest obstacle is not stepping on the dude's toes. I mean, he knows what he's doing and he knows I know what I doing and he doesn't want to have to reel me in to keep me on par with everyone else but he has too sometimes. He's super chill about it though, and doesn't sweat the bs

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Because of the mandatory class thing (which was pretty much in every class up and down the ladder at PSU, which is bullshit), choose your Gen Ed classes carefully, and seek out ones in which the population will be mostly juniors and seniors. If you have classes filled with mostly freshman, you will want to saw your own arm off by Week 6 because they bitch about loving everything.

E: I prefer non-mandatory attendance, not because I'm going to start skipping classes (because as the only 30 year old dude in them, if I skip theres a 2:1 chance the professor brings it up next time anyways), but it gets rid of all of the people most likely to be distractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Jesus Christ, I think if I couldn't laugh about this poo poo right now I'd be well on my way to exploding.

So I get two pieces of mail today. First is from this lovely little community college congratulating me on making Dean's List for the summer semester, second is from the VA regarding the school informing them of my academic probation status and offering tutoring resources. The academic probation from NINE loving YEARS AGO that's been haunting me and throwing bullshit flags up at every turn, making poo poo five times harder than it has to be. All I want to do right now is dig my cGPA out of the retarded hole the school insists on keeping it in because reasons, and transfer the gently caress away to something slightly less Mickey Mouse.

• Locked thread