Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm glad new watches were announced because it seems my OG 360 is on life support. It's either one of these new things or the 360 v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

We should be getting two from Google in a month as well, assuming they launch with the phones that should be out at the start of next month.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I want more square watches. I like my smartwatch 3 and would like something similar.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Are there knockoff watches that are worth anything? I really like the functionality of the stuff that's out now, but $2-300 is a little steep for how often I'd end up using it. Sub $100 would be perfect.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Well I've worked out what seems to be happening with my watch/car/phone bluetooth problems. When I get in my car it connects via BT automatically with all profiles, but then seems to not actually connect the Call Audio profile. If I remove and then re-add it then phone calls work properly. My theory is that since the watch also uses this profile it takes priority and won't use the other device.

Anyone else seen this sort of thing before? Is there a way to force the profile to connect or to turn off the one for the watch? If I try and disable the watch one it just reconnects it automatically.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

photomikey posted:

Are there knockoff watches that are worth anything? I really like the functionality of the stuff that's out now, but $2-300 is a little steep for how often I'd end up using it. Sub $100 would be perfect.

The pebble time is like $90 on amazon right now. That's probably the best sub100 deal you are gonna find. I have a time round and it's pretty basic but I like it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

You can probably find refurbished Sony SW3's for $100. That's what they were going for last year.

Edit: they're $99 refurbished on Amazon and $130ish new.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I've heard good things about Mi Band 2 watches, and you can pick those up for under fifty bucks. Considering one myself, and I've no issues with their phones.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I have the mi band 2 that I wear daily. Battery life is great. I had it for about 10 days and it's about 55% battery life left. They are very generous in counting steps. So subtract about a thousand from the amount of steps(I'm just guessing out of my butt). Also very generous in counting sleep. It said I was asleep when I wasn't. Probably over estimated by an hour or so. The heart rate monitor is surprisingly accurate as long as your wrist stays still.

The notification is extremely limited though. Anything other than SMS just pops up the app icon. If it's SMS, then just the SMS icon.

Check slickdeals for a deal for 30 bucks. Make sure to pay two dollars extra for express shipping otherwise you'll be waiting for months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huawei, LG, and Lenovo have all gone on record that there will be no new watches from them this year as they feel the hardware has stagnated and nothing would be gained releasing new models.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

An advance in step and heartrate tracking accuracy would be worth a new model.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rastor posted:

An advance in step and heartrate tracking accuracy would be worth a new model.

Aren't both of those fundamentally limited by current hardware limitations though? Until someone releases a radically improved optical sensor design or something you're limited to software improvements which can roll out on existing watches.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

Aren't both of those fundamentally limited by current hardware limitations though? Until someone releases a radically improved optical sensor design or something you're limited to software improvements which can roll out on existing watches.

Considering there are Fitbits and other dedicated trackers that work properly I don't think it's impossible to do these things.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

Considering there are Fitbits and other dedicated trackers that work properly I don't think it's impossible to do these things.

None of the wrist mounted trackers are inherently accurate compared to a proper chest strap setup though, they're all rough estimates at the end of the day. If one tracker is counting steps when you brush your teeth and another doesn't it's because the latter has better algorithms avoid false positives.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

We should be getting two from Google in a month as well, assuming they launch with the phones that should be out at the start of next month.

Gotta source on this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

Gotta source on this?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/06/exclusive-google-is-building-two-android-wear-smartwatches-with-google-assistant-integration/

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
Selling my Huawei watch here if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790633

It's a great watch but I'd rather have money at this point.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I switched from Android to an iPhone 7 plus, and I'm having a hell of a time getting my Moto 360 to connect.. is this a thing? I've tried hitting the reconnect card a bunch of times, and I've wiped the watch and started over, and it has a ton of problems. Help?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure, I've done the same thing except with a Huawei watch and it worked without a hitch.

According to http://lifehacker.com/an-iphone-users-guide-to-falling-in-love-with-android-w-1774581732 the 360 isn't supported?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm going on my honeymoon in a week and limiting the amount of tech I'm bringing. So no watch, is there a way for my phone to stop trying to reconnect to my watch when it's no where near it? Or is it one of those things where I should just unpair it for the week and re-pair when I get back.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

I'm going on my honeymoon in a week and limiting the amount of tech I'm bringing. So no watch, is there a way for my phone to stop trying to reconnect to my watch when it's no where near it? Or is it one of those things where I should just unpair it for the week and re-pair when I get back.
There's a Disconnect option in the Wear app which should work though I've not actually ever used it myself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Yeah, just use the disconnect option in the top right menu in the Android Wear app.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Hmm, I must have missed that when I was doing a quick look the other day.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
360 dies around 60% battery now. give me my new watches google :f5:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

logikv9 posted:

360 dies around 60% battery now. give me my new watches google :f5:

That's how I feel. Mine does the same thing

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Signing in for the 360 Dies At Lots Of Percent crew. Come on Google where the watches at.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Got the gear s2, and I like it a little, but I can't help but feel like a dummy for planning to jump to the S3 when it comes out. Hmm....

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Uh oh. Looks like the maker for the best wear watch is dropping out of the wear game and switching to Tizen.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/09/28/huawei-watch-2-rumors-tizen-os-samsung/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

Uh oh. Looks like the maker for the best wear watch is dropping out of the wear game and switching to Tizen.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/09/28/huawei-watch-2-rumors-tizen-os-samsung/

Bummer, but maybe they can help un-Samsung it and make it less convoluted.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I recently got a job in a call center and my floor managers are very strict about having phones on the floor (they will fire you if they see you with your phone out 3 times). I've noticed that a lot of my coworkers have android wear devices because it allows them to check their messages while they're on the job. I've never considered getting a smartwatch before but I'm probably going to get one now just so I can read my texts emails etc while I'm at work.

I'm looking at the Huawei watch right now becuase it's cheap and at least somewhat attractive. It's between that and the moto 360 v2. What would you guys recommend? I'm currently using a second generation moto E because I dropped my m8 in the ocean about a month ago and needed a placeholder phone. I really don't care about speed or battery life or anything like that I just need to be able to read my messages at work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I recently got a job in a call center and my floor managers are very strict about having phones on the floor (they will fire you if they see you with your phone out 3 times). I've noticed that a lot of my coworkers have android wear devices because it allows them to check their messages while they're on the job. I've never considered getting a smartwatch before but I'm probably going to get one now just so I can read my texts emails etc while I'm at work.

I'm looking at the Huawei watch right now becuase it's cheap and at least somewhat attractive. It's between that and the moto 360 v2. What would you guys recommend? I'm currently using a second generation moto E because I dropped my m8 in the ocean about a month ago and needed a placeholder phone. I really don't care about speed or battery life or anything like that I just need to be able to read my messages at work.

Whichever you like better, really. The key differences are:
  • The Huawei is OLED, the Moto is LCD. That means blacker blacks on the Huawei and a better ambient mode, but more risk of burn in (something I'd worry about on a watch honestly). The resolution is better on the Huawei and the screen is brighter.
  • The Moto has the flat tire.
  • There is an ambient light sensor on the Moto. You'll have to manually adjust the Huawei for daylight/night time/indoor use every time.
  • The Huawei has a speaker.
  • The Moto has a much nicer charger and can be used as a desk clock while charging.
  • You can manually apply updates to the Huawei.
  • The screen on the Moto is above the bezel, the screen on the Huawei is recessed within it. It should be noted the bezel will scratch far easier than the screen.

I will say I like my 46mm Moto 360v2 very much. I have the steel band and silver ring/bezel and I get a lot of comments as to how good it looks. It doubles as a bedroom clock and it's visible from across the room. Battery life is far more than I've ever needed to worry about with the screen always on. I don't like the flat tire but through creative use of watchfaces it can be nearly invisible. That said I'm really glad it has an ambient light sensor because it's always readable at a glance, I don't think I'd buy a watch without it after having it.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I have a Moto 360 and I really like it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Burn in is not a concern on oled watches. Every watch has behaviours to prevent that from happening.

No pixel watch announcements today?? :(

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I love my Huawei Watch, even though it's currently slightly hobbled by being paired to an iPhone 7. Nice that they brought out a quick update after 10 came out to fix the problem it had with dropping the connection regularly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I suspect we'll see them when we see Wear 2.0 (i.e. early next year).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I will say I like my 46mm Moto 360v2 very much. I have the steel band and silver ring/bezel and I get a lot of comments as to how good it looks. It doubles as a bedroom clock and it's visible from across the room. Battery life is far more than I've ever needed to worry about with the screen always on. I don't like the flat tire but through creative use of watchfaces it can be nearly invisible. That said I'm really glad it has an ambient light sensor because it's always readable at a glance, I don't think I'd buy a watch without it after having it.

I wasn't aware that the Huawei watch didn't have an ambient light sensor. Definitely going to go with the 360.

Tbh I'm really excited that I finally have an excuse to drop a few hundred dollars on a smartwatch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

I suspect we'll see them when we see Wear 2.0 (i.e. early next year).

Usually the watch announcement is like six months ahead of launch though. :/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Burn in is not a concern on oled watches. Every watch has behaviours to prevent that from happening.

Burn in can happen on any oled display, even with pixel shifting

The lgs seem to be particularly bad though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

Burn in can happen on any oled display, even with pixel shifting

The lgs seem to be particularly bad though

Holy poo poo that's horrible. How old is that one?

My HWatch has been used daily since I got it, with the display set to dim but never turn completely off (kinda defeats the purpose of a watch if I can't see the time at a glance), and has absolutely zero visible burn.

edit: reverse-GIS says that's a display model from an AT&T store. I'd bet they have a demo loop running that keeps the display active constantly where it would be mostly idle and black on a good face's low power mode. Probably not representative of the model overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Holy poo poo that's horrible. How old is that one?

My HWatch has been used daily since I got it, with the display set to dim but never turn completely off (kinda defeats the purpose of a watch if I can't see the time at a glance), and has absolutely zero visible burn.

edit: reverse-GIS says that's a display model from an AT&T store. I'd bet they have a demo loop running that keeps the display active constantly where it would be mostly idle and black on a good face's low power mode. Probably not representative of the model overall.

Even so, I expect a watch to last a lot longer than a phone. If I don't get four years out of my 360, I won't have been happy with it. Also, I don't think my autisms could take things slightly moving around to prevent burn in.

I really don't understand why someone hasn't just put the ambient light sensor on the bezel. I get why it is where it is on the Moto, that design is supposed to look as close to all-screen as possible but every other Wear device has a large bezel with lug trim that surely could have a black dot on it without too much trouble. Hell, just make it in a black triangle that points to the twelve o'clock position or something like those watches with the bezel hash marks.