Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

as if gamexplain would be invited to anything

Nintendo invited them so they could lock them on the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gamexplain actually has a very good relationship with Nintendo, unsurprisingly. They get invited to stuff, they get early review copies, they get backstage at cons and get to interview people.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So if they've been invited to go on a 'vacation' when does it start or end? Like what's the time frame window for this vacation?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
poo poo, Kimishima just put out an investment note that they don't actually own Mario because he's derivative of Popeye and most revenue will go to Universal.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

poo poo, Kimishima just put out an investment note that they don't actually own Mario because he's derivative of Popeye and most revenue will go to Universal.

Haha, you know how many famous characters this would gently caress over?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Haha, you know how many famous characters this would gently caress over?

Those fuckers would do it just to take down all of anime.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I still think that Panic Restaurant is a fun platformer that isn't ludicrously hard (gently caress you Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania I) and that Swords & Serpents is an enjoyable RPG, especially since I found a physical copy for $5 recently.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

Those fuckers would do it just to take down all of anime.

Astro Boy's current owners sue all of the anime industry, are happy until Disney sues them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I'm playing Faxanadu for the first time it's p good

Yes. Good tunes, stylish graphics, cool game structure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Soul Glo posted:

The NES is a good console with good games, let's just talk about that.

RBI Baseball: still wonderful

Baseball Simulator 1.000 was, is, and always will be the best baseball video game

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Emulators are legal, its the ROM distribution that is not

generally speaking the entire firmware of a traditional emulated hardware console is a copyrighted piece of code, if they rewrite a new firmware its legal but you can't really say it will emulate accurately.

e: looked into it and its some pico8 style custom fpga lua program so it probably doesn't have a flashed firmware in it. but microsoft employees are literally downloading the app and running it instead of doing anything about it haha

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 9, 2016

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Rygar on NES was the tits

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

the cool thing about NESticle is, there's a scrote icon, its like a scrote. it's so edgy! i lolled. who needs the bottom bar of smb3 i could move that testicle around my screen all day. as long as my mom isnt watching!!! haha

i hope the nx is a testicle cursor.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kevyn posted:

Rygar on NES was the tits

My copy of Rygar doesn't work :(

It's me, the guy with 50+ NES games on his shelf who doesn't play on emulators

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

zolthorg posted:

generally speaking the entire firmware of a traditional emulated hardware console is a copyrighted piece of code, if they rewrite a new firmware its legal but you can't really say it will emulate accurately.

cartridge consoles generally* don't need a bios rom to be able to run games, since the rom chips run directly on the metal and include a bios within the game itself.

disc based consoles do need one† because the system's bios is generally needed to boot the games.

--
*game boy advance needs a bios file, and newer handhelds like the ds and 3ds might but i'm not 100% sure.
†dolphin doesn't need a bios file, but it can use it if it has it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Soul Glo posted:

My copy of Rygar doesn't work :(

It's me, the guy with 50+ NES games on his shelf who doesn't play on emulators

I have about 40 or so Genesis games with boxes, manual and art, but all but two of my NES games are cartridge only. I bought a physical copy of Adventure Island 2 and it didn't work; they gave me my money back, but I was still sad because I love that game (yes, I know it's on 3DS VC; I have it). The game looked flawless as well. I have a physical copy of Adventure Island 3, which is even better, that looks like hell but it works just fine.

One thing that has not changed from my childhood is that I think that dinosaurs are great, even 8-bit bright pink ones that spit fireballs.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Astro Boy's current owners sue all of the anime industry, are happy until Disney sues them.

But how will Disney live on when they're sued by whoever owns Felix the Cat now?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZsyrIXeqfM

I like this puppet guy rambling about the NX, maybe you will too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZsyrIXeqfM

I like this puppet guy rambling about the NX, maybe you will too.

Neckbeards who know they're too ugly to appear on-camera on their Youtube channel have a leg up on the competition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hate the puppet guy, he's such a loving whiner. He released a video about Paper Mario Color Splash that was just embarrassing, and one I keep seeing in suggested feed is "Pikmin 3DS hurts me". I'm sure he probably has a stupid hot take on Federation Force as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
He spends 10 minutes raging about how the pikmin spinoff on 3DS isn't "MY PIKMIN"

It's about as stupid as it sounds.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
All Youtubers are trash and should burn

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'll give him this much: at least when he says that, he also says that it just doesn't look fun to him and that others can still enjoy it if they think it looks fun, which is a pretty big step up from most reviewers and stuff where it is just "no I hate it so it is bad"

Seriously tho what's with the knockoff grover

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Arlo's a loving idiot who whines about everything, even the new Pikmin 3DS game that actually looks good and not terrible like everyone on the internet is making it out to be

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The new pikmin game on 3ds looks a hell of a lot more like what you'd think a pikmin 3ds spinoff would be than some of the other games nintendo fans have been upset about (fed force, amiibo festival, and color splash). I mean, I think all 3 of the games I just mentioned look bad (and having played amiibo festival, I think it is bad) but the pikmin 3ds game at least looks interesting, tho not necessarily something I'd get at full price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gorgolflox posted:

All Youtubers are trash and should burn

Lazy Game Reviews, Classic Game Room, Digital Foundry, and Regular Car Reviews are good.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

TheScott2K posted:

Lazy Game Reviews, Classic Game Room, Digital Foundry, and Regular Car Reviews are good.

No

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If 2d pikmin had been on the SNES first, he'd be whining that Pikmin 3 doesn't return to the true pure form of sidescroll pikmin.

e: only good one is Gaming in the Clinton Years

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I didn't know the puppet guy until I saw that NX video linked above elsewhere, and it's a shame his other stuff is apparently just dumb whining according to my fellow goony goons. I say that because I rather like this particular video; it was earnest, chill, hopeful, nostalgic. And the guy does the puppet thing like someone who actually watched way too much Jim Henson stuff which is endearing. If he did more like that I imagine he'd be a big hit.

Gonna buy the Pikmin 3DS, though. I like the idea.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I didn't know the puppet guy until I saw that NX video linked above elsewhere, and it's a shame his other stuff is apparently just dumb whining according to my fellow goony goons. I say that because I rather like this particular video; it was earnest, chill, hopeful, nostalgic. And the guy does the puppet thing like someone who actually watched way too much Jim Henson stuff which is endearing. If he did more like that I imagine he'd be a big hit.

Gonna buy the Pikmin 3DS, though. I like the idea.

his colour trash video was like a video about grover explaining informed consent and how its not right to touch or hug other kids unless they say its ok

in other news if you watch the danger V colour trash videos on noa's youtube channel it actually kind of gives you hope because the colour toad captains are providing :siren: partner-character-like dialogue :siren:
it remains to be seen if this is a game feature where they still have bad partnerless combat but there are actual characters who stick with you throughout the game and provide commentary on the plot/spectacle/situation/inhabitants or if its just the framing of the promo videos

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I had no idea people think the 2D Pikmin looks bad?! It looks awesome?!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I wish it used nice sprite art instead of its current style, but it looks fine as a spinoff title.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
3DS Pikmin is going to sell like poo poo and then Nintendo will assume we just don't want Pikmin at all anymore :smith:.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I had no idea people think the 2D Pikmin looks bad?! It looks awesome?!!

:yeah:

Miyamato made some comment years ago that they had toyed with ways to put Pikmin on DS or 3DS and either directly mentioned the possibility of a sidescroller puzzle platformer or at least indirectly hinted at it, and I had just assumed it was discarded into the bin of "awesome ideas from Nintendo that will never actually see the light of day" like a 3D Kirby. I'm really excited for it, and even more excited if there really is a full-fledged Pikmin 4 in development for NX too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

zolthorg posted:

colour trash
colour trash

Whoah, calm down there with that hot take

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only thing that looks bad about Pikmin 3DS is possibly the framerate(beta footage though) and the developer might be Arzest who had put out some merely serviceable bad Yoshi games.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He spends 10 minutes raging about how the pikmin spinoff on 3DS isn't "MY PIKMIN"

It's about as stupid as it sounds.

https://www.change.org/p/all-pikmin-fans-around-the-globe-petition-for-nintendo-to-cancel-pikmin-3ds

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Real hurthling! posted:

got you other m?

Jesus dude! Some things you just don't joke about.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Little Mac posted:

NX more like No Sex because i will not have sex ever thanks Nintendo

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

I hate the puppet guy, he's such a loving whiner. He released a video about Paper Mario Color Splash that was just embarrassing, and one I keep seeing in suggested feed is "Pikmin 3DS hurts me". I'm sure he probably has a stupid hot take on Federation Force as well.

I want to crush his fingers so he never makes another video ever again

• Locked thread