Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LastInLine posted:

This.

The camera on it is amazing and made some of the best pictures of my children ever, god rest their souls (died in a house fire :( )

i hope they backed up to the cloud and Samsung didn't disable that out of the box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone know a lot about Doze? I've been trying to find answers to a couple of questions but I've had no luck.

Does Doze:
Use Wi-Fi to get it's messages, or does it use mobile data?
download/install app updates on Google Play? (and whether or not that uses wi-fi or mobile data)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyone know a lot about Doze? I've been trying to find answers to a couple of questions but I've had no luck.

Does Doze:
download/install app updates on Google Play? (and whether or not that uses wi-fi or mobile data)

What do you think Doze is?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I know what it is. I'm asking what route your phone uses to get the push messages and such when it is in Doze.

For instance, is it putting wi-fi in a sleep mode to save power even if you have it set to keep it on all the time?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 9, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is it possible to sideload OTAs on the Nexus 6P without using adb? I can't get my device to be listed by running 'adb devices' and I can't be arsed to gently caress about it, but I remember on a lot of phones you used to just be able to dump the zip on the root of the file system, reboot into recovery, and flash it from an option in there. I tried it on my 6P but I only have 2 options - install from adb, and install from sd card. Choosing the latter option gives a failure to mount sd card, which seems fairly obviously given that the 6P doesn't have an SD card slot. So is there another option I'm missing? Or do I need to mount something first, or something like that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm so sorry, LastInLine. That's horrible, and I can't begin to imagine how much it hurts.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Doctor Butts posted:

Does Doze:

Doze uses whatever protocol it is connected to that is lowest in power usage to retrieve the data.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm so sorry, LastInLine. That's horrible, and I can't begin to imagine how much it hurts.

:spergin:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

7.0 image is out for the 6P, is this a new build? Maybe this the fix for the halted rollout.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

It is a different build than the "stable" build that got pushed through the beta program. I'd assume that it has the September security patch + whatever fixes caused the delay.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is Qi charging just not a thing anymore? I'm at the point where I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was kind of hoping to get a new phone with Qi. I got shockingly use to not having to fuss with cables and just plopping my phone down on the pad when I got home in the evening.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So is Qi charging just not a thing anymore? I'm at the point where I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was kind of hoping to get a new phone with Qi. I got shockingly use to not having to fuss with cables and just plopping my phone down on the pad when I got home in the evening.

Samsung phones have Qi.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Samsung phones have Qi.

I must be misremembering, I thought you had to buy a special battery back for that.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

I must be misremembering, I thought you had to buy a special battery back for that.

S6, S7, Note 5 and Note 7 don't require a back. S5 does.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Godinster posted:

S6, S7, Note 5 and Note 7 don't require a back. S5 does.

Thanks!

Besides having to deal with finding the right cable, how is USB C working out for everyone? Have people had them long enough to know if they get loose over time like USB micro?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

using the same cable bought with my launch 5x and it still feels really solid

Night and day compared to micro-usb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Skarsnik posted:

using the same cable bought with my launch 5x and it still feels really solid

Night and day compared to micro-usb

Hah I think I've gone through 7 micro USB on my Nexus 6. I'm def updating to the next Nexus phone barring it being a complete clusterfuck

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks!

Besides having to deal with finding the right cable, how is USB C working out for everyone? Have people had them long enough to know if they get loose over time like USB micro?

Assuming you don't buy the cheap Amazon garbage that I'm pretty sure caused a fire at one point, USB-C is really good.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks!

I purchased a set of 3 Aukey chargers from Amazon shortly after receiving my Note 7 and so far it's been perfectly fine, though I guess that doesn't help your second question.

I went to go use a Micro cable to charge a friend's phone the other day and was sad when I remembered it wasn't reversible.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am okay with, and actually don't mind using at all, the newest iterations of Touchwiz found on the S7/Note 7. I usually install Good Lock which has some neat features, and some Samsung apps/features are much better than stock, such as the Camera app. I've been using Nexus since the Nexus S and like that too, nothing wrong with enjoying more than one platform.

:lol: never mind, this thread is ridiculous.
What does enjoying more than one platform have to do with the one I'm talking about being historically lovely? I'll accept that they might have finally made it not suck but did you ever bring up an odd point at the end there.

edit: My monoprice USB-C cable is still good a few months in

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

What does enjoying more than one platform have to do with the one I'm talking about being historically lovely? I'll accept that they might have finally made it not suck but did you ever bring up an odd point at the end there.

It's not odd based on other posts in this thread, that wasn't directed at you, sorry.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Samsung is updating labels to distinguish between good and bad Note 7s and will launch an database searchable by IMEI.

e: also Samsung says it's not about charging, it's a short inside the battery.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 9, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:f5:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I wish there was an actual exchange process for the US instead of being at the mercy of carriers for loaner/replacement devices.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nimper posted:

I wish there was an actual exchange process for the US instead of being at the mercy of carriers for loaner/replacement devices.

Yeah. Wednesday night I called Verizon and the customer service rep said "OMG, take that puppy in, we'll give you a loaner, DON'T DIE IN A FIRE".

Today I got in to the Verizon store and the rep said "You have two options: get a refund, or exchange for another phone."

Me: "What about loaners?"
Him: "This store doesn't do loaners."
Me: "Do you know a store that does?"
Him: "Actually, it isn't policy to do that. We recommend that if you want to exchange your Note 7 for an updated version, just keep the phone."
Me: "But customer service said you did."
Him: "They were wrong."
Me: "But it EXPLODES!"
Him: "Samsung has told us they'll have new phones available by Sept. 30th."

So, my real choices are either exchange for a phone I don't want and hope Samsung's replacement phones are available within the 15-day exchange period (not likely), or keep my little deathbomb around.

I'm going to keep charging it only if I'm in the same room and awake.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Poor ol' freckles, charged a Samsung and died

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I sold my Nexus 6P today in prep for an iPhone 7 and I'm currently using a Moto E 4G I bought for use for navigation and music on my motorcycle.

It's surprisingly snappy for a 50 dollar phone but my god how did anyone ever use such tiny phones years ago like this, gently caress my giant hands and cramping.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. Wednesday night I called Verizon and the customer service rep said "OMG, take that puppy in, we'll give you a loaner, DON'T DIE IN A FIRE".

Today I got in to the Verizon store and the rep said "You have two options: get a refund, or exchange for another phone."

Me: "What about loaners?"
Him: "This store doesn't do loaners."
Me: "Do you know a store that does?"
Him: "Actually, it isn't policy to do that. We recommend that if you want to exchange your Note 7 for an updated version, just keep the phone."
Me: "But customer service said you did."
Him: "They were wrong."
Me: "But it EXPLODES!"
Him: "Samsung has told us they'll have new phones available by Sept. 30th."

So, my real choices are either exchange for a phone I don't want and hope Samsung's replacement phones are available within the 15-day exchange period (not likely), or keep my little deathbomb around.

I'm going to keep charging it only if I'm in the same room and awake.

GET A REFUND

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
CPSC is going to announce a formal recall of the Note 7 shortly.

http://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/Press-...g-Galaxy-Note7/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Three Olives posted:

CPSC is going to announce a formal recall of the Note 7 shortly.

Reading between the lines, there's a strong threat there that the Note 7 will simply be pulled from the U.S. market. Which ... I can see, given the impossibility of distinguishing a fixed Note 7 from a bomblike Note 7.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Reading between the lines, there's a strong threat there that the Note 7 will simply be pulled from the U.S. market. Which ... I can see, given the impossibility of distinguishing a fixed Note 7 from a bomblike Note 7.

"CPSC is working quickly to determine whether a replacement Galaxy Note7 is an acceptable remedy for Samsung or their phone carriers to provide to consumers. "

Yeah, I can see that too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks!

Welp, I just wrote up a long bitchy post about how my 6P barely holds onto any of the 5 or 6 cables I've got, when I decided to actually pick at the port on the phone instead of just using canned air. I pulled a disturbing amount of very compacted pocket lint out of the port, revealing the grounding (?) pins at the bottom and allowing the cable to be inserted about a millimeter deeper. Much better now. :gonk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Think of having a Note 7 this way: You're Ethan Hunt with amnesia and any message could be your next mission assignment.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FAUXTON posted:

Think of having a Note 7 this way: You're Ethan Hunt with amnesia and any message could be your next mission assignment.

You should make this an app before someone steals the idea.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Given how dangerous they are I assume the CPSC will demand some easily identifiable way for consumers and authorities to tell the difference between the explody ones and a non-explody one.

My pet theory is Samsung will throw in a little more RAM and upclock the processor a little bit, call it the Galaxy Note 7S. That would compel consumers to swap and it would be easy to sort out if your phone is going to burn down your house or not with the S.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So replacement devices went from available next week till who knows now that USCP is involved

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Given how dangerous they are I assume the CPSC will demand some easily identifiable way for consumers and authorities to tell the difference between the explody ones and a non-explody one.

My pet theory is Samsung will throw in a little more RAM and upclock the processor a little bit, call it the Galaxy Note 7S. That would compel consumers to swap and it would be easy to sort out if your phone is going to burn down your house or not with the S.

This assumes that Samsung is looking out for the consumer, even at the expense of their bottom line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's official. The CPSC and Samsung have released statements telling all owners to power down and return their Note 7s immediately. When I got to the Verizon store they hadn't heard of it, and I had to give them links so they knew what was up; they'd talked to Samsung half an hour previously.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...warning-1328351

And I think that's enough drama for the week....

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nothing in Canada yet :f5:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wouldn't it take months to sort out even a small exterior change much less anything internal? I don't see a fed agency pushing Samsung that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's what a recall *is*, though. Saying "This product is too dangerous to be in the hands of consumers". There's obviously negotiation going on with the company beforehand -- the NTSA didn't demand that all Takata-airbag-containing cars be repaired immediately, because it was clearly logistically impossible to pull that many cars off the road. Apparently Samsung was unable to satisfy the CPSC that their exchange plan was adequate to ensure safety. Probably because of the reasons listed in this thread: no fast, reliable way to distinguish a recalled phone from a reissued phone. A blue mark on the box it was sold in doesn't help the airline know if it's safe, and doesn't help somebody buying second-hand know if it's safe.

And it's possible that Samsung just couldn't satisfy the CPSC that the phones they wanted to issue as replacements were absolutely, positively safe. Presumably all this will leak in the weeks to come.

The headline on Samsung's press release is pretty hilarious, though.

Nothing to see here, move along posted:

Samsung Confirms Engagement with Consumer Product Safety Commission in Response to Note7 Battery Issue

"Engagement". So that's how you say "getting curbstomped" in Korea. Good to know.