Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I don't get that "oh if i'd known i could parry it'd have been a lot easier". I can't parry for poo poo. Nothing. Ever. I can never get the timing right. The only time I've ever parried anything was in DkS1 when I did a fist only run and parried Havel to death. That was glorious, but I've never been able to replicate that zen.

i guess...how do you parry? I mean it seems like it's just blind luck. The only time I can actually pull it off is in a predictable PVP scenario, but even then I whiff 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess the 30 times I died made me rather familiar with his moveset, but I killed him on the first try after realising I could parry him. And after that, I don't think I've died to him more than four times in 15 playthroughs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

-S- posted:

I don't know why everyone says "oh if i'd known i could parry it'd have been a lot easier". I can't parry for poo poo. Nothing. Ever. I can never get the timing right. The only time I've ever parried anything was in DkS1 when I did a fist only run and parried Havel to death. That was glorious, but I've never been able to replicate that zen.

It's the exact opposite of easier due to how hosed up the parry windows are and the fact that partial damaging parries exist at all. In general, this is something that the whole Souls series has repeatedly struggled with: there's almost never a consummate reward for taking a big risk in combat, so the safe, boring option is almost always the optimal option unless you're angling to speedrun the game.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-S- posted:

I don't get that "oh if i'd known i could parry it'd have been a lot easier". I can't parry for poo poo. Nothing. Ever. I can never get the timing right. The only time I've ever parried anything was in DkS1 when I did a fist only run and parried Havel to death. That was glorious, but I've never been able to replicate that zen.

i guess...how do you parry? I mean it seems like it's just blind luck. The only time I can actually pull it off is in a predictable PVP scenario, but even then I whiff 90% of the time.

With small shields like bucklers, I usually follow the logic of "just afore it hits", with normal shields it's "when the enemy starts the move". Remember, shields have a few frames ,depending on their size, of buildup before the frames during which a hit is converted to a parry.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

With small shields like bucklers, I usually follow the logic of "just afore it hits", with normal shields it's "when the enemy starts the move". Remember, shields have a few frames ,depending on their size, of buildup before the frames during which a hit is converted to a parry.

Yeah, but like...enemies (and human players) readily vary their swing speeds & timings. So, you're really saying "yeah just guess and hope"?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, I think parrying is good in certain situations in DS. Namely, when you are in a narrow space with little room to maneuver. Prime example would be the silver knight archers in DS1. Basically no room to move and dodge, so parrying the one blocking you is a good way to get past it.

Parrying bosses is something I've never found to be worthwhile though since the punishment for failing is almost always death.

-S- posted:

Yeah, but like...enemies (and human players) readily vary their swing speeds & timings. So, you're really saying "yeah just guess and hope"?

Attack speed is always consistent. You just have to be familiar with the attacks to know their timings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What made me finally get parrying was noticing that you lose stamina for parrying the moment the parry frames start. So just parry the air and watch your stamina bar to get a feel for the delay. No idea if this feature applies to the previous games too or not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, I think parrying is good in certain situations in DS. Namely, when you are in a narrow space with little room to maneuver. Prime example would be the silver knight archers in DS1. Basically no room to move and dodge, so parrying the one blocking you is a good way to get past it.

You don't really need room to dodge when you can roll into an enemy's kneecaps and rely on iframes to keep you safe.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-S- posted:

git good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

You don't really need room to dodge when you can roll into an enemy's kneecaps and rely on iframes to keep you safe.

That wastes a lot of stamina and won't work against multihit combo attacks. And it wouldn't of worked period in past Souls games if you didn't have a really good roll. Basically every character in DS3 has a stupidly good roll but that definitely wasn't the case in DS1 and 2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

That wastes a lot of stamina and won't work against multihit combo attacks. And it wouldn't of worked period in past Souls games if you didn't have a really good roll. Basically every character in DS3 has a stupidly good roll but that definitely wasn't the case in DS1 and 2.

Which multihit attacks in DS1 or DS2 did you not have sufficient stamina to roll through?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I do sympathize honestly, parrying only really works after you get familiar with all the different movesets.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Eh, I'm pretty good w/o it thanks tho

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

I do sympathize honestly, parrying only really works after you get familiar with all the different movesets.

I guess as a grown rear end man with a 2 year old i aint got time for all that. Block and roll it is.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-S- posted:

I guess as a grown rear end man with a 2 year old i aint got time for all that. Block and roll it is.

Stay safe and may the flames guide thee!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Parrying in these games is more-or-less for showboating. I mean, that's fine if you enjoy learning the timing windows and whatnot, but it feels like the weird neglected cousin of the other defensive options (dodge and block), rather than a fully fleshed-out game mechanic.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vermain posted:

Parrying in these games is more-or-less for showboating. I mean, that's fine, but it makes it feel like the weird neglected cousin of the other defensive options (dodge and block), rather than a fully fleshed-out game mechanic.

In PvP opponents who know how to parry can absolutely wreck you unless you know your way around the tactic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

Which multihit attacks in DS1 or DS2 did you not have sufficient stamina to roll through?

It has nothing to do with stamina. If your roll isn't good then trying to roll through an attack with a lot of frames will just have you getting caught in it. You can dodge short attacks but not prolonged ones, such as trying to avoid multiple pursuer projectiles.

Look I'm not saying parrying is useful 100% of the time but I have found myself using it sparingly throughout the series. If you are comfortable with it, its not very dangerous and is extremely rewarding due to the high damage and invincibility you get from it. Its always a good way to deal with multiple enemies because you can parry one of them and then the others just have to sit and watch while you stab them in the gut.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 9, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

In PvP opponents who know how to parry can absolutely wreck you unless you know your way around the tactic.

That parrying - a weird, neglected game mechanic - fits in with PVP - another weird, neglected game mechanic - seems a perfect match, honestly.

Internet Kraken posted:

It has nothing to do with stamina. If your roll isn't good then trying to roll through an attack with a lot of frames will just have you getting caught in it. You can dodge short attacks but not prolonged ones, such as trying to avoid multiple pursuer projectiles.

You definitely can dodge multiple Pursuers if you learn how to clump them properly.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vermain posted:

That parrying - a weird, neglected game mechanic - fits in with PVP - another weird, neglected game mechanic - seems a perfect match, honestly.

I dunno, my favourite memories of these games have always been invading people cosplaying as Ornstein and Smough and getting absolutely wrecked multiple times in a row in compltely honourable diels. Or that time when I invaded three times a world with someone named Titania, which consisted of players named Shield Wall, Pyromancer, Cleric and the host K***ht

edit: we got loving wrecked again, predictably enough

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think many of you are overthinking parrying. I have a few tricks which have helped me through a lot of tough situations by parrying the poo poo out of the problems, and I think everyone should be able to use them:
- use the loving Buckler because trying to parry gud with a normal shield is indeed an exercise in frustration. In DS3 at least I've also had success with the Parrying Dagger and the Caestus.
- don't learn anything, don't memorize movesets or whatever. Don't practice for hours until you can get it right every time. Do it on reflex. Enemy attacks, weapon swings towards you, you react by pushing R2. This works more often than not (more on that later)
- you will not be able to parry every attack. Pick one which you can easily see coming, dodge until that one happens, then parry the one you're comfortable parrying. It's very much about not stressing out, just hit the R2 as someone is swinging a murderstick your way, and be calm. about. it.
- don't fret if you fail. I get it right 3/4 to 5/6 of times, and a failed attempt will only sometimes get you killed, especially in DS3 where you can just hit B five times then chug your problems away, unless you die instantly of course. Even against bosses, that's not a huge issue.

Now on "why parry at all" when this won't immediately win you the fight??? Well, consider how I did Sully successfully last time. I used the Dark Hand to hit him with which is admittedly pretty loving strong, but any regular upgradable beatstick should also suffice at the point where you're getting to him.
- his first attack is very consistent, he always jumps at you with this big lunge; there's a reason why you see people parry him immediately from that. It's NOT to show off, it's actually pretty easy to parry him out of that. I died once, then got it, failed the following steps, failed the parry on my third attempt, then got him at the fourth. Read on for how.
- after the riposte, charge that R2. He has lost about a third of his life now. Sully is actually rather squishy.
- I parried him AGAIN now (my personal choice of which was riskier: fighting him normally or pulling that off. More on THAT in conclusion). He's under half health. Charge R2.
- dodge until he start summoning the clone.
- lay into him and clone, congrats you're won because the second phase is piss-easy.

Parrying is a huge risk, even if you stop stressing out about it. BUT for me at least, fighting bosses normally is also a huge risk. I'm not very consistent with things. I also get impatient. The longer a bossfight is, unless it's something super loving easy like Gaping Dragon, the harder it is for me. If I minimize time spent fighting the boss, that's less time I can make mistakes in, and it's a huge boon. If I can shave off in one attack as much as with three combos after three different openings, I will always take the one attack thing because that's one chance to gently caress up, not three. Even if the chance is higher, and at the end it might even equal out, BUT: parrying will fail me quicker...so I can get the next attempt in much faster. And I'll be less frustrated because hey, it was risky.

Can't imagine beating Sully with a fist-style weapon otherwise, anyway. The range is just too bad. Not a problem for riposte ---> R2, loving nightmare in a "normal" fight. This also let me OBLITERATE the Abyss Watchers, same principle, I just had to dodge more until he did the easy to see coming (and therefore parry) overhead swing.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Sullyvahn usually does exactly the same thing Gwyn did that got him owned. I think it even has the same timing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9la71UI1fs

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

skasion posted:

The series has not hit a happy medium on fall damage. In Demons Souls you needed to fall like a hundred feet to take any damage at all, but in these games stumble off a ten foot drop and you have exploding knees. Probably more realistic but just feels excessive.

I will say fall damage would be greatly improved if it caused you to ragdoll.

I don't want realism in my video game where the metaphysical requirement for life is 'souls.' I'd rather not fall from such terrifying heights like from Ludleth's throne to the bonfire and take damage.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't want realism in my video game where the metaphysical requirement for life is 'souls.' I'd rather not fall from such terrifying heights like from Ludleth's throne to the bonfire and take damage.

I think a happy medium would be, similar to Witcher 3, pressing roll as you hit the ground negates all or most fall damage.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad of the fall damage, personally.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fall damage needs to exist so I can laugh at stupid hosts panic rolling off high edges in PvP.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Fall damage needs to exist so I can laugh at stupid hosts panic rolling off high edges in PvP.

The uppercut on Aldrich's flame sword is great for flinging people off ledges.

Although most of my PvP kills were from luring people into the crabs.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Also without fall damage you wouldn't get those times when you randomly get souls while standing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You all suck

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jump off a cliff, scrub

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Walk down an incline to death.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
gently caress random drops forever. I just want to use Corvian Scythe but it won't drop

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WaltherFeng posted:

gently caress random drops forever. I just want to use Corvian Scythe but it won't drop

Just wait until you're trying to grind for hollow gems. Then you'll get plenty of scythes, greatknives, and storyteller's staffs but no gems after farming for several hours with a full farming loadout, even though the gems aren't supposed to be as rare as the weapons.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paracelsus posted:

Just wait until you're trying to grind for hollow gems. Then you'll get plenty of scythes, greatknives, and storyteller's staffs but no gems after farming for several hours with a full farming loadout, even though the gems aren't supposed to be as rare as the weapons.

I had one drop for me from a storyteller while passing by.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

Parrying in these games is more-or-less for showboating. I mean, that's fine if you enjoy learning the timing windows and whatnot, but it feels like the weird neglected cousin of the other defensive options (dodge and block), rather than a fully fleshed-out game mechanic.

Sometimes your best defensive option is to kill a monster quickly though, and parrying definitely helps with that, especially when you're using a weak weapon. Sure you can't use them against (most) bosses, but parrying or stunning something to death are often the best defensive options against multiple enemies.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Incidentally, can the Dancer be parried?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Friendly Humour posted:

Incidentally, can the Dancer be parried?

No. There's a list of all the parryable bosses floating around somewhere, and Dancer isn't on it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks, I figured as much after 10 tries or so. Taking on the Dancer at SL 17 and +1 deep axe ftw!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I have reached my final fashion form. Need Havel's and RoF to stay under 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Deified Data posted:

I have reached my final fashion form. Need Havel's and RoF to stay under 70.

I hate that being jacked makes all of the armors look fat.