Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

I hope he gets John Edwards to say that Reagan personally dubbed Trump his successor. We need to get as many celebrity con-men in on this campaign as possible.

lol @ the amount of time it took me to figure out you meant John Edward

Not that Edwards wasn't a con man, as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Lincoln Chafee - Actual Secretary

Oooh, you're gonna make fishmech so mad.:laugh:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

theflyingorc posted:

lol @ the amount of time it took me to figure out you meant John Edward

Not that Edwards wasn't a con man, as well

Never trust a man with two first names.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's been word that:

Ed Rendell - Sec of Transportation
Neera Tanden - Chief of Staff or Economic Advisor
Jennifer Granholm - Attorney General
Michele Flournoy - Secretary of Defense

No reporting for anything else.

Two of those are possible. The first two aren't.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you guys think is Biden amusing as a VP, Rendell at a cabinent level position would be hilarious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There was a politico article about her 50 / 50 gender split cabinet that name dropped all four of those people from "campaign sources."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There's been word that:

Is this the same reporting that includes:

Lloyd Blankfein - Treasury
Lisa B. Nelson - Labor
Jack Gerard - EPA

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

vyelkin posted:

Bernie Sanders - Secretary of Labor
Martin O'Malley - Secretary of Inspiring More TV Shows Like The Wire
Tom Webb - Secretary of Asking For More Time
Lincoln Chafee - Actual Secretary

This all checks out.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Geostomp posted:

I hope he gets John Edwards to say that Reagan personally dubbed Trump his successor. We need to get as many celebrity con-men in on this campaign as possible.

Do you mean John Edwards, famous con man, liar, and all around scumbag, or John Edward, the guy who talks to dead people on cable TV?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Niton posted:

Never trust a man with two first names.

john wayne gacy
lee harvey oswald (that's three)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There was a politico article about her 50 / 50 gender split cabinet that name dropped all four of those people from "campaign sources."

This article? http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/insiders-game-out-clintons-cabinet-226599

Because it doesn't talk about Rendell for Transpo at all:

quote:

Moving further down the list of prominent Cabinet spots, fewer specific names are being discussed — and the conversations tilt even further into speculation — but two of the names that have been floated: former Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, who was considered for this position under Obama and just headed a successful convention effort for his party, and Federal Aviation Administration head Michael Huerta.

Edit: and the reporting on chief of staff is different too:

quote:

Chief of staff

Most people see this as a choice between Cheryl Mills, Clinton’s chief of staff at the State Department, and Tom Nides, Clinton’s deputy secretary of state for management. Both have remained close to Clinton, with Mills acting as part of the extremely small inner circle on the running mate decision, and Nides as one of the closest outside advisers. Mills, notably, would be the first female White House chief of staff as well as the first African-American, and is seen as one of the smartest and most trusted people in Clinton’s orbit. But she’d also face at least outside questions about her judgment on the email server and other issues that came up at State. Nides would have the advantage of many long relationships in Washington, which Clinton is said to value in an expected effort to focus more on outreach to Capitol Hill than Obama did.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Why?

I'm not even being facetious. My mom's family is all Michiganders, and she'd personally vote Granholm for President in a heartbeat, even over Abuela.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Michelle Obama - Secretary of State
Barack Obama - Supreme Court Justice

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Riosan posted:

Why?

I'm not even being facetious. My mom's family is all Michiganders, and she'd personally vote Granholm for President in a heartbeat, even over Abuela.

The Politico article says Tom Perez is the most likely AG anyway.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wait, I'm Irish, am I not white now. I can burn through a tshirt

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/01/28/irish-apes-tactics-of-de-humanization/

Nah, you're some monkey thing.

http://theaporetic.com/?p=54

If people are going to use 1800s terminology, one must insist on using 1800s definitions. No Italians, no Irish, no Spanish, and dubious about the Hun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Trabisnikof posted:

This article? http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/insiders-game-out-clintons-cabinet-226599

Because it doesn't talk about Rendell for Transpo at all:

Edit: and the reporting on chief of staff is different too:

Yeah, that was the article I was thinking of. There was another one, maybe the Atlantic?, that name dropped Rendell for Transpo and Neera as a high level econ advisor and I merged the two in my brain.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Can she also make Uncle Joe and T-Kaine co-vice presidents? Also put them in charge of fighting crime

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boon posted:

People are fascinating, and there is no more concise way to watch people's behavior than to watch the stock markets and their daily reactions to news.

So when I went to look at today's status I noticed the S&P had dropped sharply (2% currently). To what, I ask, is this owed? There has been no major bad news, no corporate releases to justify, nothing significant at all. The markets just kind of decided to poo poo the bed today, possibly anticipating no rate hikes from the Fed this month and the drawing down of European stimulus. Nothing to justify today, people just decided to panic.

People. :allears:

Markets dip on Fridays because nobody knows if their positions will be good over the weekend.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Invader Zym posted:

Do you mean John Edwards, famous con man, liar, and all around scumbag, or John Edward, the guy who talks to dead people on cable TV?

The latter, but the former would also work, just not as well. I didn't look where I typed.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Munkeymon posted:

Markets dip on Fridays because nobody knows if their positions will be good over the weekend.
That can't be true.

If that was true, couldn't you just sell at the end of every Thursday and then buy late every Friday?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

vyelkin posted:

Michelle would be secretary of defense. I mean have you seen those guns?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Barack Obama - Nine Supreme Court Justices

fixed

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Thought there were rumblings of Tom Perez for AG during the Veepstakes

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

The Senate is the true prize that leads to the true true prize of the SCOTUS.

Scotus is the gateway to a generation of liberal flame and darkness.

Hail Satan!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jimbozig posted:

That can't be true.

If that was true, couldn't you just sell at the end of every Thursday and then buy late every Friday?
That's so stupid you may have legitimately made a discovery

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Thought there were rumblings of Tom Perez for AG during the Veepstakes

Obama wanted to move him from Labor to AG, but unions made such a stink over it he nominated Lynch instead.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Scotus is the gateway to a generation of liberal flame and darkness.

Hail Satan!

I'm glad Scalia dead.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Joe for Secretary of Partying Down

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm glad Scalia dead.

Give Hillary's super assassins the same raise her Twitter team deserves.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

Did anyone link this politico piece with interviews from the staff around Bush on 9/11?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230

A fascinating and sobering look at the chaos around the president that day. For example, they could only tune the local tv stations near the plane so they constantly were losing tv signal and couldn't see CNN etc on Air Force one.

And I can't help but also reflexively image how other presidents would have acted.

This is a pro-click, amazing read. Two things that really stood out to me were what a loving badass the pilot of Air Force One was and the other was Bush desperately wanting to return to Washington as soon as he learned and basically getting told nope over and over and over. Oh, and the F-16 pilots who refueled just before AF1 landed and then had to go do afterburner 360s for awhile to burn up fuel so that they could land with it.

I'd read a thousand more pages of this if it existed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're saying he'll pull into the lead 4 days before Election Day?

Lol

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trilas posted:

Not a raise, but a promotion is in the works for the super assassin January 20 next year.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Eifert Posting posted:

That doesn't count. I'm A lapsed, Agnostic Catholic. Your upbringing is a huge factor in your personality. I've been Agnostic since the fourth grade but act Catholic as hell.

Hey felllow Catholic but not really buddy :catholic:

Munkeymon posted:

No, the market doesn't just dip 2.5% on a Friday because the weekend is coming. If anything, this,

Night10194 posted:

I'm going to guess it's due to the North Korean nuclear test, actually.

Is the only thing that really even comes close to explaining it but it's still irrational as all hell.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 10, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
“Well, I just don’t think she has a presidential look. And you need a presidential look. You have to get the job done,” Trump told ABC’s David Muir in an interview that aired Tuesday. “I think if she went to Mexico she would have had a total failure. We had a big success.”

Trump has said regularly on the campaign trail that Clinton does not look presidential, which his critics have blasted as a sexist attack on the first female presidential nominee for a major political party.

When Muir pressed Trump on whether his comments were about her physical “aesthetic,” Trump shrugged — suggesting his disapproval with the question — before knocking Clinton for her attacks on him.

“I’m talking about — hey, by the way, she says things about me that are horrible. As an example, the single greatest asset I have, according to those that know me, is my temperament,” he told Muir. “But she came up with this Madison Avenue line, ‘Oh, let’s talk about his temperament.’ It’s the single greatest asset I have is my temperament.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sidential-look/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Trilas posted:

You don't think they're one in the same? You don't think burns of that caliber are not from a mind honed to kill?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

“Well, I just don’t think she has a presidential look. And you need a presidential look. You have to get the job done,” Trump told ABC’s David Muir in an interview that aired Tuesday. “I think if she went to Mexico she would have had a total failure. We had a big success.”

Trump has said regularly on the campaign trail that Clinton does not look presidential, which his critics have blasted as a sexist attack on the first female presidential nominee for a major political party.

When Muir pressed Trump on whether his comments were about her physical “aesthetic,” Trump shrugged — suggesting his disapproval with the question — before knocking Clinton for her attacks on him.

“I’m talking about — hey, by the way, she says things about me that are horrible. As an example, the single greatest asset I have, according to those that know me, is my temperament,” he told Muir. “But she came up with this Madison Avenue line, ‘Oh, let’s talk about his temperament.’ It’s the single greatest asset I have is my temperament.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sidential-look/
I can't believe how clumsy he is about dodging questions compared to other candidates, but I guess if moderators and interviewers and stuff aren't going to press him on it...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seriously every Trump thing in that quote is wrong:

1) She doesn't have a presidential look--of course she doesn't by certain definitions, every president ever has been a man.
2) She would have failed in Mexico--because if there's one thing Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton lacks, it's foreign policy experience.
3) Trump has a good temperament--which is how the Mexican president baited him into delivering a Hitler speech with a single tweet.

But no, let's just let that all slide.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

There's been word that:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Clearly Leon Trotsky 2012 is citing this GalacticAcid post from July 8, 2015.

GalacticAcid posted:

[Rendell] wants a cabinet position. He speaks constantly about infrastructure ~ at think tanks, on TV, on the radio, and on Twitter, so I suspect he's angling for Transportation. Although if the Clintons asked him to run for Senate instead, he probably would.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

interested to see how Trump is going to spin Obama and Putin's Syria agreement

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

JonathonSpectre posted:

This is a pro-click, amazing read. Two things that really stood out to me were what a loving badass the pilot of Air Force One was and the other was Bush desperately wanting to return to Washington as soon as he learned and basically getting told nope over and over and over. Oh, and the F-16 pilots who refueled just before AF1 landed and then had to go do afterburner 360s for awhile to burn up fuel so that they could land with it.

I'd read a thousand more pages of this if it existed.
I liked Ari Fleischer's comment that whenever he watches Obama and world events, he remembers how all the initial reports they heard on 9/11 were wrong. In the early hours of a crisis like that, any and all rumors are blasted everywhere by everyone and nothing is vetted before it gets to the president because they need to know what the gently caress is going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh, and the F-16 pilots who refueled just before AF1 landed and then had to go do afterburner 360s for awhile to burn up fuel so that they could land with it.

Living the dream right there.

Also the new biography Bush from noted really good biographer Jean Edward Smith has tons of stuff about the immediate aftermath of 911.

• Locked thread