Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

these moves are always transparently petty and lovely to begin with but lol at giving 200k to the GBPD. What are they even going to DO with that money? Please if I'm accidentally making fun of a city gripped by crime that I somehow never heard about correct me but there's no way the loving GBPD need 200k for literally anything.

I'm sure somebody in the police department is underpaid.

Of course it will be used to buy a couple SUVs that they don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Coldforge posted:

The Packers would apparently like to offer an alternative,

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/774020623706181633

The only way this could be more of a gently caress you move is if they gave it to the police department from making a murderer and did a tribute for that fat loving detective who bragged about fabricating evidence in a filmed deposition.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mmm good I needed more reasons to hate the Packers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Lmao

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Coldforge posted:

smfh

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
never mind that was last page

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wow, can't believe they'd donate to a foundation who seemingly has a primary goal of 'fostering cooperation between the community, youth, and the police department' pretty sickening imho. Kick the Packers out of the NFL ASAP

this may sound sarcastic but it's not, gently caress the green bay packers, gently caress them. go lions

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Wow, can't believe they'd donate to a foundation who seemingly has a primary goal of 'fostering cooperation between the community, youth, and the police department' pretty sickening imho. Kick the Packers out of the NFL ASAP

this may sound sarcastic but it's not, gently caress the green bay packers, gently caress them. go lions

Check their "current projects" page. That's a lovely mission statement, but apparently it only goes so far as buying body armor for police? Founded in June of this year, sooooo.

Lmao

quote:

The formation of the Green Bay Police Foundation was officially launched today at a press conference during active shooter training in Green Bay. The first initiative that was discussed was the immediate need for ballistic helmets and ballistic tactical vests to allow officers more safety when responding to high risk calls such as active shooters, parties with firearms, etc. Members of the media were allowed to record officers training in active shooter scenarios, and the Green Bay Police live streamed the event via their Facebook page.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fire up the hot take generator. This just showed up on my wall:

quote:

Dear Mr. Wilson,

My name is Dan Russell. I am a lifelong Seattle Seahawks fan, a native Washingtonian, and I have the humble privilege of serving as a Police Officer in my community.

I am the Officer in these photos - two of which went viral - taken in Dallas on 07/07 at the scene where 14 police officers were shot in an ambush; five of whom perished from their injuries.

I decided to dedicate myself to a life of Service on a Tuesday morning sitting in my parents living room on 09/11/2001, as I watched live footage of a plane crash into the World Trade Center. I woke up my brother, a serving United States Marine at the time, to give him the news - America was under attack.

On that sunny and bright Tuesday, 2,996 Americans lost their lives. 343 of those lost were firefighters, and 71 were law enforcement officers. In response to the worst terrorist attack in our Nation's history, millions answered the call to Service - to Serve their Nation in the military, to Serve their communities as Police Officers, firefighters, dispatchers, paramedics, or as the family of one of these intrepid selfless individuals.

Every day, more choose to answer the call to Serve - inspired by those events of fifteen years ago and the selfless sacrifice of so many that came before them.

I chose to Serve on 09/11/2001. After Ferguson in 2014 I found myself questioning my choice of career and vocation. A visit to Ground Zero reminded me that I was Serving something bigger than myself - something beautiful and everlasting.

America.

I humbly ask - I beg - that you do not sit down for The Star Spangled Banner on this coming Sunday, the 15th anniversary of 09/11/2001.

To do so would be a slap in the face to millions of fans, millions of public Servants, millions of Americans, to 09/11 first responders, to the survivors, and to the families of all that were involved and impacted by that terrible day, most of all -

To those 2,996 who fell in an act of hatred towards our country and all we stand for.

You have so many avenues of making a stand, of letting your voice be one of compassion, reconciliation, and building rather than tearing down. You have shown that you are an inspiring leader, man of community, faith, family, and charity. You have a voice that will be heard.

Please, use your voice in one of those other avenues - do not allow yourself to become one that succumbs to the sensationalism and misguided choices that are currently causing so much division in our country.

Stand for The Star Spangled Banner.

We who Serve will stand with you.

Respectfully,

Dan Russell
Seahawks Fan

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Comparing a person not standing up during the National Anthem to a September 11th is very proportional, I'll tell you what.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Allow ME, to speak for 3,000 dead people and all their families.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Comparing a person not standing up during the National Anthem to a September 11th is very proportional, I'll tell you what.

well there are proportions involved

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

The game is on September 11 doofus

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Please remember he's a fan of Russell Wilson; he has no idea what normal proportions are.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The game is on September 11 doofus

Well, of course it is, the September 11th that is Seahawks kneeling. This wouldn't have happened under Bush.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"Please Mr. Wilson, don't protest the mistreatment of your people in the only peaceful fashion that has garnered any public attention."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

"Please Mr. Wilson, don't protest the mistreatment of your people in the only peaceful fashion that has garnered any public attention."

You say that but I would bet that the majority of people that are mad at him for not standing have no idea why he's doing it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Joey Freshwater posted:

You say that but I would bet that the majority of people that are mad at him for not standing have no idea why he's doing it.

Of course they don't. This guy goes on and on about military poo poo despite several statements that these protests have nothing to do with soldiers.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's time to admit it. The protest is good and the police are very bad

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

CubanMissile posted:

Of course they don't. This guy goes on and on about military poo poo despite several statements that these protests have nothing to do with soldiers.

I don't know if I would say a "majority". It probably feels that way since the military fanatics are extremely vocal but there are plenty of people on the other side too that understand the reasoning behind the protest. I have actually been able to convince a couple people that this has nothing to do with the military and that they should focus on the message he is sitting/kneeeling for instead. And then I send them articles and statistics backing up that there is racial inequality in the US.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Literally only the military is allowed to decide if your intention is to disrespect the military, according to the military

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
All this is going to do is give working class whites and working class blacks yet another reason to hate each other. As a rich dude, this is great news because that's been our best method of social control for the last forever years.

In other news, everyone's favorite douche has set up a charity. Every TD Roethlisberger throws will buy another bulletproof vest for a police dog! https://www.arlnow.com/2016/09/08/ben-roethlisberger-donating-k-9-vests-to-acpd/ No matter where you stand on Kaep's crawl toward Golgotha, you should stand for invincible service animals :911:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Can anyone actually give me a reason as to why the national anthem even needs to be played before the start of a game anyway?

I've never understood it outside of some sort of hosed up jingoism which is pretty much being proven by the responses to this...

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

v2vian man posted:

It's time to admit it. The protest is good and the police are very bad

Hmmmmm... this is a resounding "yes"!!!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

c0ldfuse posted:

Can anyone actually give me a reason as to why the national anthem even needs to be played before the start of a game anyway?

I've never understood it outside of some sort of hosed up jingoism which is pretty much being proven by the responses to this...

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/770450912301101056

It's contrived bullshit, and fairly recent as a league rule.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Coldforge posted:

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/770450912301101056

It's contrived bullshit, and fairly recent as a league rule.

Thank you so much for this, I am going to use it all over the place to try and point out how loving dumb people are for caring about him sitting/standing more than the actual issue of racial inequality.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder how many people will stand up in their living rooms during the national anthem

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

blue squares posted:

I wonder how many people will stand up in their living rooms during the national anthem

I always do because I'm an American

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Post your birth certificate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't get the letter because there was no way Russell Wilson was going to sit during the national anthem anyways.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

c0ldfuse posted:

I think there's a pretty good argument that it cheapens the impact of the anthem.

Like, imagine if they usually don't play it and then break it out for 9/11. That could be a powerful bit of imagery. I'm sure many if not all stadiums will do something special on Sunday, but the anthem itself will not be particularly different from any other game. Instead for whatever reason it's become tradition and tonight before the Twins who are 29.5 games out of first place play a largely meaningless game the anthem will play. Lots of the poor saps who go will be standing, but doing so in concession lines and mostly ignoring the anthem or waiting for it to get the gently caress over so they can get a damned beer before the top of the 1st.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Post proof on Sunday or show solidarity with your Seahawks, the choice is yours.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Skwirl posted:

I don't get the letter because there was no way Russell Wilson was going to sit during the national anthem anyways.

he's just a small town kid from Richmond, Virginia. he was raised to do the right thing

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The national anthem isn't even a very good song

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ehud posted:

This should be the one thing that everyone agrees with.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ehud posted:

It also has a (regularly omitted) verse that talks about how great it is we killed the slaves who were fighting alongside the British for their freedom.

Just in case anyone was wondering why Kap picked this particular thing for his protest.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Coldforge posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering why Kap picked this particular thing for his protest.
durrrrrrrrrrrrrr its because hes protesting the military buhhhhhhhhhh *is an old white piece of poo poo*

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

I like when they set off fireworks for rockets' red glare and then they explode on bombs bursting in air.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
So will Kaep just do this game after game season after season and then one day just get bored of it and so stand up and everyones like "woah America's good now we did it ::highfives bro::"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sam bradford lmao posted:

durrrrrrrrrrrrrr its because hes protesting the military buhhhhhhhhhh *is an old white piece of poo poo*

you're not that old

• Locked thread