Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Probably. The keyboard did work fine with the defaults, but just to check, you do mean keyboard and gamepad button presses, right? The mouse has been fine the whole time.

Ah, no, I've only been testing with the mouse so far. I could see keyboard/controller input requiring the object to be in focus in some way before it receives input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://gfycat.com/FlusteredWideeyedGallowaycow

A procedurally generated top-down shooter I've started working on. Inspired by games like Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon but with a less funky setting

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Unless you're not going for the intensity of those two games I'd make the movement speed a bit faster. The animation seems a bit too wobbly for that speed.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

InevitableCheese posted:

Unless you're not going for the intensity of those two games I'd make the movement speed a bit faster. The animation seems a bit too wobbly for that speed.

Definitely going to be worked on, i've bumped it slightly for now and it does look better!

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

InevitableCheese posted:

Didn't see anyone post it here, but there's the GameMaker Studio Humble Bundle going on currently, and for $15! Comes with iOS, Android, HTML5, and Windows UWP export and some games with source code.

This seems like a pretty big deal. They're about to release a new version of GameMaker, so you'll be a bit outdated before long, but at 15$, it's great for someone who won't be making professional games with it. Which is everyone, honestly, because it's not really professional material. But it is useful if you ever want to look through an existing GM game's source, or possibly building a prototype before committing actual development time to a project.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Triarii posted:

Ah, no, I've only been testing with the mouse so far. I could see keyboard/controller input requiring the object to be in focus in some way before it receives input.
The focus thing was something I was pondering. Do you know a programmatic way to do that? I was hoping to do that instead of, well, selected the first button I find when I interrogate the panel.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The focus thing was something I was pondering. Do you know a programmatic way to do that? I was hoping to do that instead of, well, selected the first button I find when I interrogate the panel.
Did you set the GUI objects up with the InControl uGUI scripts it needs to work with them?

EDIT: Oh, and on NGUI vs uGUI: quizzing my "go NGUI" guy a bit more, the big hurdles they hit with uGUI involve mixing the 3D scene and 2D UI interactions. They were totally unable to, for instance, build a uGUI UI that let them drag stuff out of the UI and into the main scene. They had to rip uGUI out of that process entirely, because of how the input systems collided, and backfill with NGUI + custom input. He also hit issues with in-world UI, that is, "there is a tablet on that table there with a UI widget inside of it that I can interact with," that required ripping uGUI out for NGUI.

Which, it occurs, is stuff most of the folks in this thread probably don't care about, but is huge for us. We're big on kinesthetic UI. So take my uGUI-maybe-has-issues with a grain of salt, depending on how much your UI is "this is an actual 3D book sitting on the table, with a UI built into it" vs "this is a standard flat 2D UI that is glued to my eyeball."

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 7, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe I'm just a big dumb but I completely rolled my own menu code that handles mouse, keyboard, and controller input and can take inputs from any or a specific device. It was work but seems worth it in the end? Not like I can reuse it in other games.

e: this is UGUI and InControl. I like InControl a good deal

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeap. I got that set up first. I can get the InControl mappings to work, but only after I have already selected a button.

It looks like I have to literally assign a button as selected, or click on one. I tried clicking on the panel to focus it, but that wasn't sufficient.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: Oh, and on NGUI vs uGUI: quizzing my "go NGUI" guy a bit more, the big hurdles they hit with uGUI involve mixing the 3D scene and 2D UI interactions. They were totally unable to, for instance, build a uGUI UI that let them drag stuff out of the UI and into the main scene. They had to rip uGUI out of that process entirely, because of how the input systems collided, and backfill with NGUI + custom input. He also hit issues with in-world UI, that is, "there is a tablet on that table there with a UI widget inside of it that I can interact with," that required ripping uGUI out for NGUI.

Which, it occurs, is stuff most of the folks in this thread probably don't care about, but is huge for us. We're big on kinesthetic UI. So take my uGUI-maybe-has-issues with a grain of salt, depending on how much your UI is "this is an actual 3D book sitting on the table, with a UI built into it" vs "this is a standard flat 2D UI that is glued to my eyeball."

That's funny as that's pretty much exactly what I have. It's a very Ultima Underworld UI that's all uGUI with those interactions. I don't recall any major problems. You can drag items out of the inventory and throw them into the world ala UW, click notes sitting in the world to open UI text, open a shop window that's diegetic, etc.

I didn't have to get rid of uGUI but I did write a custom InputModule for the uGUI bits which isn't that hard and then I can have it query the current world interactions along with 2D ui elements to determine what should have priority. That way both what I call "World Controls" and UI elements have more straightforward and specific priorities.

The nice thing about Unity GUI stuff now is that since its a brand new system after they decided to stop being dumb about their design it's all very sensibly channeled through interfaces and methods you can go find the source code for (it's on bitbucket which is harder to search than git unfortunately). So when I wrote the InputModule I could actually look at theirs and override the parts that made sense and when I wrote my own OnHover code rather than put in some magic Unity approved methods you just implement the specific interfaces.

I vaguely remember NGUI does have some world control handling stuff built in, but I didn't find it crazy to get it into uGUI. Diegetic interface issues are actually a priority for Unity currently since they are focusing so much on VR.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

:words:

Diegetic interface issues are actually a priority for Unity currently since they are focusing so much on VR.
Diegetic! There's the word I was looking for. Kinesthetic works, I guess, but - that's much fancier. Anyways, HUH. In that case, I'll probably keep leaning uGUI and see what happens. I'll keep using TextMeshPro regardless, of course, but as for the rest... hey, we'll see. Worst case, I rip some stuff out for NGUI later.

Thanks! Really glad I threw that in here and got a solid contrasting opinion. Where I am, I'd rather take the gamble, and count on if there's an issue, Unity has fixed it by the time we get there. We'll certainly want to be using uGUI by this time next year, anyways.

(as an aside, seriously, get TextMeshPro - if you were looking at buying NGUI, but can't get both NGUI and TextMeshPro, holy hell buy TextMeshPro instead and use that + uGUI)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 7, 2016

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So aside from InControl, TextMeshPro, and Astar. What other premium Unity asset store plugins are good to look at?
I feel like this question has been asked and answered before. Bleh.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

So aside from InControl, TextMeshPro, and Astar. What other premium Unity asset store plugins are good to look at?

Because I love pulling spreadsheets full of data into my game, I've been pretty happy with GSFU https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15570

I bought it a couple of versions back and pretty much rewrote all of the game-side code, though, so I can't say exactly what the experience will be like if you get it now.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Diegetic! There's the word I was looking for. Kinesthetic works, I guess, but - that's much fancier. Anyways, HUH. In that case, I'll probably keep leaning uGUI and see what happens. I'll keep using TextMeshPro regardless, of course, but as for the rest... hey, we'll see. Worst case, I rip some stuff out for NGUI later.

Thanks! Really glad I threw that in here and got a solid contrasting opinion. Where I am, I'd rather take the gamble, and count on if there's an issue, Unity has fixed it by the time we get there. We'll certainly want to be using uGUI by this time next year, anyways.

(as an aside, seriously, get TextMeshPro - if you were looking at buying NGUI, but can't get both NGUI and TextMeshPro, holy hell buy TextMeshPro instead and use that + uGUI)

My preference is to choose Unity built in components whenever possible even if they have 3/4 of the functionality of an outside asset as Unity is getting better at developing these systems out (particles are so much better) and there's always a chance a new Unity version will thoroughly break an asset's approach. That said NGUI is probably the longest continually developed asset for Unity so it's a pretty safe wagon to hitch yourself to if someone prefers it.

Seconding TMPro which is great and I haven't heard of improving text rendering being on the radar for Unity.

Triarii posted:

Because I love pulling spreadsheets full of data into my game, I've been pretty happy with GSFU https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15570

I bought it a couple of versions back and pretty much rewrote all of the game-side code, though, so I can't say exactly what the experience will be like if you get it now.

Not sure how it compares to that one but I've used this free alternative google doc importer that worked. Though I don't use it anymore since in my eternal dithering between importing and keeping tools inside Unity I've swung back towards in editor.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

xgalaxy posted:

Yes. List them all please.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

The more I use unity, the more I hate its UI. It's way, WAY too easy to gently caress something up by accidentally clicking and dragging. Then it's difficult to figure out what exactly I clicked and dragged and what I need to do to fix it. I can't organize anything like I would in a programming project, and every object has a dozen different boxes that very quickly become cluttered and hard to read.

This is all code, right? Is there a way I can just deal with that instead of this lovely interface?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

c0burn posted:

https://gfycat.com/FlusteredWideeyedGallowaycow

A procedurally generated top-down shooter I've started working on. Inspired by games like Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon but with a less funky setting

Hey, I want to make a game inspired by Nuclear Throne too! I am going in a VERY different direction than you of course. My favorite part of those games, and a big part of my being disappointed with Enter the Gungeon, was the local multiplayer, so thats going to be a big focus for me. Real interested in where you go with it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Truspeaker posted:

Hey, I want to make a game inspired by Nuclear Throne too! I am going in a VERY different direction than you of course. My favorite part of those games, and a big part of my being disappointed with Enter the Gungeon, was the local multiplayer, so thats going to be a big focus for me. Real interested in where you go with it.

How are you generating your maps? I randomly place boxes and then do some A* pathing to find the corridors between them. I think I need to have some prefab rooms defined as well so they don't look like poo poo.

The Symbol at
Mar 1, 2016

xgalaxy posted:

Based on the experience we (the games company I work at) have had with InControl, I wouldn't recommend buying it when Rewired exists. Meanwhile, another recommendation. We recently picked up Noesis GUI and so far the performance is way better than unity's builtin GUI. Working with XAML is familiar for most C# devs and Blend works fine with this GUI. The biggest issue is their price.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The nice thing about Unity GUI stuff now is that since its a brand new system after they decided to stop being dumb about their design it's all very sensibly channeled through interfaces and methods you can go find the source code for (it's on bitbucket which is harder to search than git unfortunately). So when I wrote the InputModule I could actually look at theirs and override the parts that made sense and when I wrote my own OnHover code rather than put in some magic Unity approved methods you just implement the specific interfaces.

This was 100% me and I had to fight so hard to get it to happen and drag API points into something that is c# and logical.

Some of the other points are pretty fair though:
*knowing what batches (needs more debug)
*text rendering (needs complete rewrite for the whole of unity)

The one comment I don't really get is it being bad for world gui / VR... It should work pretty good but I'm guessing the tutorials are pretty trashy as I didn't have anything to do with them. You can use a physics ray caster for nice Interaction with world elements and it's not just limited to ui stuff. It will dispatch to whatever and you can implement your own calls also. It's pretty versatile :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes. List them all please.
  • Shader Forge
  • InControl
  • Master Audio
  • GoKit/ZestKit
  • Pro Camera 2D
  • A* Pathfinding
  • Vectrocity
  • Easy Save
  • Ultimate FPS
  • TextMesh Pro
Not all but those are a lot of generic really good ones I've used.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 8, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Symbol at posted:

Based on the experience we (the games company I work at) have had with InControl, I wouldn't recommend buying it when Rewired exists.

I haven't tried InControl but every time I look at what Rewired does for user rebinding controls my head hurts. I need to dive into it but it seems pretty over complicated on the very off chance your game happens to be Battlefield and needs 3 different control schemes utilizing lots of accessories. InControl sounded simpler. Maybe Rewired isn't hard once I grok to their methodology though.

Strumpy posted:

This was 100% me and I had to fight so hard to get it to happen and drag API points into something that is c# and logical.

Can we write fan mail about a dev to Unity somewhere? Vote for developer of the year? Put garlands at your feet?

Unityscript and boo need to be fired into the sun if they are used to justify dumb code patterns.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

• Shader Forge
  • InControl
  • Master Audio
  • GoKit/ZestKit
  • Pro Camera 2D
  • A* Pathfinding
  • Vectrocity
  • Easy Save
  • Ultimate FPS
  • TextMesh Pro
Not all but those are a lot of generic really good ones I've used.
... I'd caveat the hell out of Ultimate FPS as a "only use it if it's a gamejam type game, because holy hell do you not want that codebase merging with that of a larger project" thing. Or maybe just "if you buy this, plan on just using its algorithms as a blueprint for your own equivalent, once you realize how bad it is inside."

FuzzySlippers posted:

I haven't tried InControl but every time I look at what Rewired does for user rebinding controls my head hurts. I need to dive into it but it seems pretty over complicated on the very off chance your game happens to be Battlefield and needs 3 different control schemes utilizing lots of accessories. InControl sounded simpler. Maybe Rewired isn't hard once I grok to their methodology though.
This was also my experience. I love InControl. ReWired is trying very hard to make a complicated problem out of what should be simple and straightforward. It tries to do way, way too much, and in the process, becomes one of those clinging codebases that wants to slowly infest the rest of your project.

It seemed aimed pretty squarely at "I'm not a programmer, and I just want this to work, I only ever want to interact with this via Editor UIs"-type game folks. Felt a lot like UFPS, in terms of being over-engineered.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 9, 2016

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

c0burn posted:

How are you generating your maps? I randomly place boxes and then do some A* pathing to find the corridors between them. I think I need to have some prefab rooms defined as well so they don't look like poo poo.

I am so far from any type of level generation. I did get a free unity package of some random level generator that someone made, somewhere on one of these computers, and I will probably use that in the short term. I've got a vision of what I want to make, and I've been derailed several times by finding new store assets (the last page or so has had some real nice looking things on it), but my time spent programming is almost always on the stuff that pays, not the fun things that I want to be working on. At my current rate I will have some characters moving around in a month.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shalinor posted:

... I'd caveat the hell out of Ultimate FPS as a "only use it if it's a gamejam type game, because holy hell do you not want that codebase merging with that of a larger project" thing. Or maybe just "if you buy this, plan on just using its algorithms as a blueprint for your own equivalent, once you realize how bad it is inside."

So I'm about a week into dev with UFPS and yeah the internals scared me a bit at first but I've realized that everything is pretty well documented and extensible/overridable. I've started writing my own classes that inherit from theirs and cherry picking functionality I like and hiding stuff I don't. My goal is to never change any of the core files basically. I also like how modular it all is.

I dunno it seems like they put a decent amount of thought into it and it could have been way, way worse. I'm curious about how the full rewrite is going though as 2.0 will be released under the new owner.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized the complaint was the internals. I've only worked with it on the surface layer and it seemed very nice and had a good feel on mouse/gamepad input which I've found hard to do by hand in previous projects.

I'm not so sure I'd go that far. You have a very unique case with Fist of Spartan where you want to really go deep with first person controls. First person melee is always an incredibly challenge from a control standpoint. As an example where it first well uFPS is being used for Manifold Garden. The game needs a very little more than a walking simulator from the control standpoint. I don't believe he had to change a thing because his requirements are so simple but it gives you a much better first person controller than the broken thing Unity has in it's "prototyping". Having implemented mouse+kb / gamepad first person controls by hand a couple of times in Unity, it's a giant pain and what they've done in uFPS seems very high quality/has good feel.

uFPS is a good first person controller but if you want do deep customization you'll need to do deep customization and possibly throw out most of the their work. They have documented the hell out of it with 100+ page manual so I'm not sure why you are so down on it. I've never had a hard time with it but I've only done very light work with it.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 9, 2016

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stick100 posted:

I've never had a hard time with it but I've only done very light work with it.
Scroll up in this thread (or maybe the game design thread), where I started with your opinion, and then as I dug into the internals, grew increasingly horrified. There was another person who took the position I'm taking now, while I took your position, and over time, he grew increasingly smug whilst I grew increasingly bleak. Now I'm him, and I'm just saying "trust me on this - don't dig too deep."

It isn't anything to do with my game being first person melee'y. I don't actually need terribly unique fist controls, I threw out all the fists-actually-in-world stuff a long time ago for how difficult it made everything. This is all stuff that anyone will hit as they dig deeper into the system, and want uFPS to use their inventory system instead of the built-in one, or want to make a gun that works slightly differently than one of the hard-coded gun types in uFPS, or - etc. It just... drops off. You'll find you can't pull much of anything out of the rickety framework that uFPS has built, and that the whole thing is very, very inefficient due to being more concerned with being generally clever. It is the definition of an over-engineered system.

If you don't need to touch any of that? If you really are just making a game where you can dump uFPS in, and use what it exposes, and never look too deep? You'll be fine. But that, generally, only describes game jam games, and artist/designer-made games more on the walking simulator end of things, hence the big, fat caveat. Those same caveats and advantages appear to apply to ReWired, for much the same reasons, though I don't know if it's anywhere near as crazy under the hood - and ReWired/uFPS even have a built-in link, so artist/designer types can drop BOTH into place and never touch any of it.

EDIT: You may also be fine with it if you're the sort of engineer that's fine with wrapping a spaghetti western codebase up in some plastic wrap, poking a few holes in it to poke in wires from the rest of your codebase, and then NEVER LOOKING INSTEAD THE WRAPPING EVER AGAIN. In fact that's the only way I'd recommend going near it. It isn't always an option (see: how far is what you're doing diverging from what it was built to do), but if it is, it can work. Where I gave up was "well, I have my own inventory concept that isn't like theirs, so I'll just go in here and make it use that a- oh... oh GOD NO".

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is probably really simple, but I need to fudge player input in Unity so that if they're maybe 1/4 - 1/2 seconds late or early on hitting a button to turn past an obstacle it still works. How should I do that?
Google "input buffering". The gist is, you keep a rolling buffer of input events that sticks around for a few seconds, with old inputs eventually falling out the end, and instead of asking "is this down now", you ask "has this been down anywhere in the buffer." The other way you can do it is by buffering the individual input events. When a button is pressed, a timer starts counting down, and it'll report "this button was pressed recently" until that timer hits 0. Touching the button again resets the timer to <buffer time amount>. Note that you'll still need the instantaneous button state too, only certain things will feel good with buffered input.

It tends to be a two-sided problem, though. Some stuff, having the input itself buffered works, other stuff, the logic-side needs the buffer. Like for jump code - to make edge-jumping feel good, you actually need to buffer standing-state, so that it reports "yes I am standing" for the purposes of initiating a jump even after you've begun falling off a ledge. You might think of it as an input problem, but it really isn't. I'm guessing your "turn around this corner" logic may be a similar thing.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is probably really simple, but I need to fudge player input in Unity so that if they're maybe 1/4 - 1/2 seconds late or early on hitting a button to turn past an obstacle it still works. How should I do that?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: You may also be fine with it if you're the sort of engineer that's fine with wrapping a spaghetti western codebase up in some plastic wrap, poking a few holes in it to poke in wires from the rest of your codebase, and then NEVER LOOKING INSTEAD THE WRAPPING EVER AGAIN. In fact that's the only way I'd recommend going near it.

Yes actually that pretty simply sums up my feelings on using other people code. But I've been as a maintenance programmer for my "day job" for 10+ years.

Since all code is terrible I tend to prefer to leave systems in place and only poke the smallest holes and fiddle with the least amount possible when working with an existing system.

When you find out I find out a given system is inappropriate I hammer it do what I want or just replace it wholesale.

Edit: I'm not surprised as I kind of figured their inventory system / ancillary systems were trash when I read the docs. But personally I was only interested in getting a good feeling input / control system since it's so hard to implement by hand in Unity.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 9, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Note down the time when the button was last pressed and when the obstacle event triggers and compare them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I get a voyeur's thrill from throwing ILSpy on commercial Unity games and checking out how they are organized and what packages they use. I see UFPS quite a lot but it is always gutted. I'm guessing they have an evolution like Shalinor is talking about where you think its pretty cool and start developing with it and then slowly realize the insanity and start tearing it apart. In particular the event system is such an over engineered bad idea and is always removed.

UFPS has actually been 'sold' to another asset developer who is going to try to keep the core functionality while revamping it. I'm curious how that'll turn out.

If Unity had a spare dev for a while I would love for them to take a long look at UFPS and revamp their default controllers to suck less. It'd make game jam games a lot better if nothing else.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

If Unity had a spare dev for a while I would love for them to take a long look at UFPS and revamp their default controllers to suck less. It'd make game jam games a lot better if nothing else.
Eeeh... kinda sorta maybe. A metric ton of what UFPS does can be summed up as "hook some springs to your hand models and jiggle them with fake forces when you move." It's just that Unity's Custom Joint is such a trash fire that nobody can figure out how to do that blind. I had to actually talk to THE GUY WHO DESIGNED IT before it made any sense whatsoever to me, and even now, I'm not 100% sure I can make it do what I want in all cases.

If anyone's curious: I want a Weeble People, basically, that always teeters back up when bumped, BUT, I also want it to be able to spin relatively freely about its vertical axis, rather than always weebling back to pointing its face in the same direction - I only care about it weebling back to "upright", not where the face is pointed at that point. OTOH, the "and also keep it pointed forward" limitation means it works fine for FPS fists. I'm 99% sure UFPS is using it like I'm doing, though I haven't looked yet.

(the other stuff UFPS movement does is useful only if you want Mirror's Edge'y movement, with slides down slopes and such - if you want arcade'y movement, you end up hucking 90% of the movement system - and yeah, I found the inventory and input systems basically irredeemable, but also impossible to remove cleanly, so I just kinda... backed away, and settled on re-engineering my own equivalent by looking at their code)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
can't you just open code that without using physics / joints whatever? it seems like it would be relatively easy to get the forces and do the rotation yourself or whatever. it's a lot easier to tweak localized code than fiddle around with global world settings for hours

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

can't you just open code that without using physics / joints whatever? it seems like it would be relatively easy to get the forces and do the rotation yourself or whatever. it's a lot easier to tweak localized code than fiddle around with global world settings for hours
Yes, you can, but then you're working outside the physics loop. You can mitigate that somewhat by used FixedUpdate, but even THEN, it's kinda... eeeeeh. It's the sort of thing I've got no issue coding if I can't figure it out, but if I can figure out the built-ins, I should really do it "the right way." Poking forces into a physics loop from the outside tends to be destabilizing, inconsistent, and not terribly performant.

It's one of the reasons I miss ODE and Havok. Those both had CPU-side processing that you could touch safely and reliably. PhysX moved everything GPU-side, and in the process, made it all pretty rigid and less happy about CPU-side interference. I don't know precisely where Custom Joint ends and PhysX begins (it may be a fully built-in piece? it may be totally Unity? it's all pretty opaque), so I err on the side of caution.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 10, 2016

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This is the dumbest possible thing to be happy about but after a day of scraping through UE4's source to find out how to use a whole bunch of stuff that is apparently only documented in an 80-minute VOD recorded off of one of Epic's livestreams...

I've spawned a viewport in a custom editor and this is the happiest I have been all week.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well regardless of what happens with UFPS in the future it's currently helping me get my prototype off the ground and I'm writing stuff in way that none of my stuff is embedded in it, just kinda sitting on top so I can slip something else in under if needed.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How does Gamemaker compare to Godot?
At first glance they seem to occupy a similar niche, 2D engines with an IDE and their own scripting language (though Godot seems to be getting Mono and Visual Scripting Support some time in the future).
I got the Gamemaker humblebundle since it was cheap but Godot also looks nice.
Since I want to get back into dabbling with game programming (so nothing professional or even indy) and don't really want to go programming-heavy like Unity or Unreal (I get enough of that at my day job as a Java developer), I'm wondering which you'd recommend.
My take is that Gamemaker is more established and thus provides more resources but Godot is probably more flexible and, with the addition of Mono, more exciting technology-wise.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

scissorman posted:

How does Gamemaker compare to Godot?
At first glance they seem to occupy a similar niche, 2D engines with an IDE and their own scripting language (though Godot seems to be getting Mono and Visual Scripting Support some time in the future).
I got the Gamemaker humblebundle since it was cheap but Godot also looks nice.
Since I want to get back into dabbling with game programming (so nothing professional or even indy) and don't really want to go programming-heavy like Unity or Unreal (I get enough of that at my day job as a Java developer), I'm wondering which you'd recommend.
My take is that Gamemaker is more established and thus provides more resources but Godot is probably more flexible and, with the addition of Mono, more exciting technology-wise.

I think long term Godot has a more promising future than Gamemaker.
- Godot is open source and appears to have grown community wise at a rapid pace
- Development is very active and the developers seem responsive to user requests and concerns
- From what I've seen of the architecture and features of Godot it appears to be a well thought out and competently designed engine and framework

All of that said. I have not seen a released game using Godot in the wild yet. Anyone know of any?
Whereas Gamemaker has a mile long list of released games that have done very well for those game developers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is anybody here familiar with the Unity uGUI ScrollView? I'm trying to list my game saves inside one. I'm trying to figure out how to keep it from scrolling past the first and last entries. Is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Is there any good plugin that provides server-authoritative game syncvar syncing with client-side prediction and client-side interpolation? I'm new to unity and game networking in general, and after the reading several articles (1500 archers, gaffer's articles, source networking, this: http://www.gabrielgambetta.com/fast_paced_multiplayer.html) I took a shot at implementing my own syncvar-based authoritative server with client-side interpolation (not even prediction!) and came up with a broken thing that sucks.

I think that even if I spend more time on it and get it working it will still be broken in ways that I don't realize, so I'd rather save my up-front development time and my later, more frustrating, debugging time. Is there anything I can just drop in?