Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Procrate is the top one. The bottom could've been made in Procreate though, who knows.

e: Oh, you said exactly this.

Pretty sure the top one is VSCO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yeh, the top one isn't procreate.

Violator
May 15, 2003

tuyop posted:

Mint? YNAB?

Depressing Box posted:

Chronicle has worked pretty well for me.

Excellent suggestions, thanks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overcast just went ad supported 🤔

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Overcast just went ad supported 🤔

Yep, $10 a year to get rid of them.

Eh, it's worth $10/yr. I get enough use out of it.

E: Oh wait. If you purchased the old "Unlock Everything" you won't get ads. Yay for me

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

flosofl posted:

E: Oh wait. If you purchased the old "Unlock Everything" you won't get ads. Yay for me

And that's the part that made me way happy. Smart incentive for early adopters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

The gift that keeps on giving!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flosofl posted:

Marco... is a good guy?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You don't get 'future improvements' (he doesn't detail any of his plans) if you're grandfathered in. Still got about 10 months of premium cause I needed that dark theme

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do not like that the dark theme uses the system font but the light theme that I prefer uses a custom font.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flosofl posted:

Yup, no ads for me too. I bought that like a month before they made the initial payment model switch, so I guess I'm getting some extra mileage out of it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mierenneuker posted:

Yup, no ads for me too. I bought that like a month before they made the initial payment model switch, so I guess I'm getting some extra mileage out of it.
Ditto, I was only a few months ahead of the switch. Glad that we're getting the dark theme now too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
This makes me feel much better about paying for it two weeks before it went free.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use the Microsoft apps here? I'm having a problem with excel claiming any new file I open through one drive is corrupted- despite it working fine on my laptop.

Was wondering if anyone else using excel/onedrive is having problems?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone use the Microsoft apps here? I'm having a problem with excel claiming any new file I open through one drive is corrupted- despite it working fine on my laptop.

Was wondering if anyone else using excel/onedrive is having problems?

I haven't had it with excel, but I have this issue with OneNote and Word. Deleting the app and reinstalling seems to fix, so it is likely a cache issue. That sucks and takes forever, so if there's a better solution I'm all ears--but I don't see what that solution could be. A forced refresh doesn't fix it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
After David Smith's blog post, I was wondering if this would happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One would think we'd hit a saturation point with advertising where no one has the money to buy additional ads, but time and time again it seems to be proven that literally the only way to stay profitable is to slap someone else's product inside yours.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

One would think we'd hit a saturation point with advertising where no one has the money to buy additional ads, but time and time again it seems to be proven that literally the only way to stay profitable is to slap someone else's product inside yours.
Advertising is great for the platforms since advertisers are idiots who thinks that number of impressions somehow converts to sales in 2016.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Advertising is great for the platforms since advertisers are idiots who thinks that number of impressions somehow converts to sales in 2016.

Maybe it does. :shrug: Nobody knows how effective advertising is, just that it sorta works some of the time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This is only kinda an iOS app thing, but yay that Safari in ios10 gives the option to open YouTube links in a Safari tab and not just the YouTube app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's always done that hasn't it? You just click cancel when it asks for the YouTube app ?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's always done that hasn't it? You just click cancel when it asks for the YouTube app ?

For my iPhone, it just cancels the request altogether.

Refreshing just brings up the attempt to open it in app instead. Amazon and a few other apps also do this.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's a good app with a built in ftp client to edit web code?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Coda, it's 25 bucks though

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just want to edit html files on my server. I can manage everything using goodreader but I wish I could open the html in the equivalent to notepad. I need $25 to do that?

Edit: cool it's the same people who made transmit. They can have my $25.

Housh fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 12, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What were the other podcast apps people blurt out? I like Overcast because it's straight to the point, and the smart speed is good. But, if the choice is ads or pay a subscription for a bunch of features I'll never use I'm inclined to re-evaluate. I did chip in like 6 months of premium last year just as a token, but I guess not enough people did that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The big ones are:

Podcasts (built-in)
Overcast
Downcast
Pocketcasts
Uhhhhh probably something else I'm forgetting

Overcast is still my favorite, but Downcast was good back when I used it, and lots of people like Pocketcasts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Sky

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Castro is the best one but just download Wunderground

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Dashlane

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wonder how many people are going to pay to remove Overcast's ads. How often do you actually look at your podcast app as opposed to leaving it running in the background?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I certainly wouldn't, but I paid for 1.0 so I got them removed anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

I wonder how many people are going to pay to remove Overcast's ads. How often do you actually look at your podcast app as opposed to leaving it running in the background?

I paid. I hate ads and it's worth a buck a month to avoid using the podcasts app and get smart speed and voice boost. File upload will also make my life easier forever now.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Didn't Pocket Casts get smart speed and volume boost in their 6.0 update?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure? The features are secondary for me anyway. I hate ads much more than I hate spending a dollar a month so I paid.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Weedle posted:

Yeah seriously. If they added unskippable audio ads I would definitely pay to remove them but visible ads might as well not be there for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From a few months ago:

Good one guys.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

From a few months ago:

Good one guys.

Even more impressive is the fact that anyone would care to note an extra 2mb for a pharmacy smartphone application.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't care, I just find it funny they felt it important to headline the change and it really wasn't worth the fanfare at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

I don't care, I just find it funny they felt it important to headline the change and it really wasn't worth the fanfare at all.
I care and thought it was funny. Thanks for posting.