Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I know it's already been discussed, but apparently chirurgeon has multiple pronunciations??? Final Fantasy 14's english localization has an obsession with archaic english and they all pronounce it Kai-Rer-Jen. So basically however you wanna pronounce that weird backwards dumb word is ok???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Highwang posted:

The real joke is that Jester is suffocating this whole time under that mask.

That would explain why he's so worthless, generally.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

That would explain why he's so worthless, generally.

you take that back right now

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

you take that back right now

Aside from his not-actually-that-useful-compared-to-having-a-real-PC buffs, what does he have on the Grave Robber, heroine of all wars and battles?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he can cause massive amounts of bleed damage on the 2nd and 3rd row, finale is dope and his stress and buff boosts are a life-saver. A party with a jester turns stress into a non-factor meaning the same party can go into about 4 dungeon runs before needing to rotate out for abbey/pub rotation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Night10194 posted:

Aside from his not-actually-that-useful-compared-to-having-a-real-PC buffs, what does he have on the Grave Robber, heroine of all wars and battles?

Queen quotes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fat Samurai posted:

Queen quotes.

Acceptable.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

amazing stress relief, pretty good camp buffs(eye of the tiger), Finale is a shitwrecker no matter what Highwang says. His bleed skills actually become pretty amazing later in the game where DoTs are a bit more relevant player-side.

Finale has a +150% damage modifier for crying out loud. It isn't +50% like the Highwayman's PBS. 150%. He's good.

I do love the Grave Robber as well, but I feel like she falls off a bit in champion dungeons. Aside from critfests(which are always unreliable) she doesn't do much damage, and has no support to compensate for that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, when did Finale get that?

This might be one of those cases where I think he's bad because I played mostly at a specific point before full release and haven't played much since.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
at around the same time they buffed him to be able to use songs in rank 3 instead of only rank 4, so he can slice and sing as needed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

at around the same time they buffed him to be able to use songs in rank 3 instead of only rank 4, so he can slice and sing as needed.

Oh man that would have made him so good.

Oh, I see why you like him now. Sorry, I was using outdated info.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Oh man that would have made him so good.

Oh, I see why you like him now. Sorry, I was using outdated info.

Yeah, there's been a genuine turn-around of opinion on what during early access got considered 'useless' classes like the Leper and Jester, after they got some tweaks. You have much to look forward to now. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

See I got in in time for the Leper to be awesome, so I like him.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Highwang posted:

[ Collected Highwayman

The Collected Highwayman is a man of variable threat level to other players and me. His only attack is Headhunt, which does a decent amount of damage, has a respectable crit rate, and can bleed. This is where a majority of this fight's damage comes from, and depending on how many bandit heads are on the field it can range from an easy fight to a bloodbath. Many consider him the biggest threat due to his high speed and the AI's propensity to target low-HP characters. I don't mind him, mainly because I bring a lot of control to my teamcomp that results in him being a useless body that reduces the chance of Collector summoning more heads. In reference to the episode, two appeared and I normally remove one, but my healers was capable of out-healing one guy and I locked down the other one.

Yeah, you can say that, but in a Champion dungeon two Highwaymen who crit the same target one after the other can easily drop any character to Death's Door. If you didn't resist the bleed, better hope a healer goes first or the victim makes the Death Blow save. I've found this scenario to be especially likely if you surprise the Collector and then fail to land your stun, as he'll summon and then the Highwaymen often go first in the following round. If they both hit your fastest character, there's nothing you can do but hope for good resist rolls. Fortunately, a lot has to go wrong at once for that to happen.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Keep in mind that despite being being way better then he used to be the Jester is still the worst class in the game. He's playable now though and you can take him to any level of dungeon with some degree of success.
I also disagree with Wang's opinion regarding Collected Vestals (they basically do nothing, keep them around so they gum up the Collector's line imo) but one of my favourite things about DD is that everyone has their own different strategies and tactical priorities and they all can work.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

Based on the Yellow King

Or rather, 'The King in Yellow' (a.k.a. Hastur the Unspeakable), from Robert W. Chambers' short story collection by the very same name.

He wears no mask.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I made it to the end of a years-long Call of Cthulhu tabletop game that capped off with Tatters of the King. It was super cool because we had the same core players for the better part of a decade, and we'd just occasionally do some Cthulhu. Everyone had really gotten into a groove with their characters, old or new (characters turn over pretty frequently in CoC from violence and madness) and could really get into the horror mystery mood.

After the meat of the module, which probably took us a couple months of sessions to get through, the party ended up in Carcossa surrounded by horrors that hounded and corralled us until we were faced at last with the King in Yellow itself standing on some sort of cosmic causeway. It wanted one thing. It wanted to know where our home was. All we had to do was steer the bastard in the wrong direction to send him off course and save the Earth. Well, we failed, as far as I know. One-by-one my companions fell under HIS spell and started to point out the astral path to Earth, forcing my character to execute lifelong friends, lovers and trusted comrades in turn. I lit the bastard on fire to buy time when I was the last one left, which of course did nothing. As the King lifted my grizzled, alcoholic private eye up by the neck, the gun I had pressed to my temple fell to the ground and I pointed towards home.

gently caress Hastur.

Great way to end a campaign though.

The Collector is a great guy. I love when he pounces on my half-dead party.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Scribbleykins posted:

Or rather, 'The King in Yellow' (a.k.a. Hastur the Unspeakable), from Robert W. Chambers' short story collection by the very same name.

Thank you. I wanted to mention this, but didn't.

Also, the connection between KiY and Hastur was made post-Lovecraft, but let's not go down the road of what is or isn't canon in the Mythos. That way lies madness...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I made it to the end of a years-long Call of Cthulhu tabletop game that capped off with Tatters of the King. It was super cool because we had the same core players for the better part of a decade, and we'd just occasionally do some Cthulhu. Everyone had really gotten into a groove with their characters, old or new (characters turn over pretty frequently in CoC from violence and madness) and could really get into the horror mystery mood.

After the meat of the module, which probably took us a couple months of sessions to get through, the party ended up in Carcossa surrounded by horrors that hounded and corralled us until we were faced at last with the King in Yellow itself standing on some sort of cosmic causeway. It wanted one thing. It wanted to know where our home was. All we had to do was steer the bastard in the wrong direction to send him off course and save the Earth. Well, we failed, as far as I know. One-by-one my companions fell under HIS spell and started to point out the astral path to Earth, forcing my character to execute lifelong friends, lovers and trusted comrades in turn. I lit the bastard on fire to buy time when I was the last one left, which of course did nothing. As the King lifted my grizzled, alcoholic private eye up by the neck, the gun I had pressed to my temple fell to the ground and I pointed towards home.

gently caress Hastur.

Great way to end a campaign though.

The Collector is a great guy. I love when he pounces on my half-dead party.

The perfect Cthulhuian ending.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The Collector is such a fantastic chump. It's a shame he didn't drop a head for you, Highwang.

I, uh... I may have some suspicions about where all your luck went. :sweatdrop: That's the third secret room this playthrough; got Dismas' head from the first one. The same quest gave me that Vestal trinket with +25% healing. :shepface:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this LP got me back into darkest dungeon

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Eonwe posted:

this LP got me back into darkest dungeon

Same here. I've played the game like 8 hours during early access, but never really got in to it before the LP. Just endless restarting once every now and then.

Now Ive been marathoning the game the past few days, and am ahead of the LP now, and everything is horrible!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Attestant posted:

Now Ive been marathoning the game the past few days, and am ahead of the LP now, and everything is horrible!

That's always the most terrifying thing when you buy a game thanks to a LP. I did the same with XCOM 2 and that roller-coaster was intense.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also just had my first Collector fight.

I was in a medium dungeon with a terrible map, that forced me to backtrack so much, that I took two hunger events before running in to him. Thankfully I have a pretty beefy Hellion, with massive damage and reach, otherwise that could have gone bad.

He dropped a single 2500 gold gem. :shepface:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I too looked into this game because of this LP.

I got Dismas' head pretty early from a secret door.

5 secret doors later, I have not seen any other heads. (Naturally it was probably in the one I didn't have a key for at the time :negative:)

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Welp, despite having 200+ hours on record on this game, I just now learned that some characters can move more than 1 space forward and back.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Add me to the pile of people who bought DD because of this LP.

I also ran into the collector in my second expedition, but got off a lot of critical hits and stuns on him, so he turned out to be pretty easy. The second time I ran into him was on my way to the apprentice necromancer. Both times I got the 2500 gold gem instead of a head.

:negative:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I didn't buy DD because of this LP(bought it waaay in the early access phase) but I did buy a SA account because of it.

Xenoborg posted:

Welp, despite having 200+ hours on record on this game, I just now learned that some characters can move more than 1 space forward and back.

And some characters can't move back at all!

Hellion, please stop being annoying about this!

Also, more cheese, kinda, for the people that want heads:

If you find a secret room, just keep it in mind, go through the dungeon normally and when you're done, backtrack and go into the secret room.

Before putting a key in the ancient chest, snuff your torch. I do believe the chance for getting heads is higher doing this, because I got two heads in one secret room by opening the chest with a key at pitch black darkness. Only reason I didn't get three is because the Collector in the same dungeon gave me a gift.

Halser fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 11, 2016

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

My first run in with the Collector was in my second dungeon run ever. Thankfully, I already knew about the run button and this game does give mercy on you by letting you run from minibosses like him.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Halser posted:

Also, more cheese, kinda, for the people that want heads:

I'm amazed to see so much trouble getting those things. The first 3 secret rooms we found each had a head, just like that.

Speaking of the Collector, the guys noted that you can actually see the heads in his cloak. The art for this game is so good that most of my thumbnails have just been zoomed-in crops of what's on the screen, and that was no exception:

Couldn't pass up a man-at-arms taking damage from seeing his own face in the mantle, heh.

The 5-pack of kai-rurr-jen's Charms also made me think if the game has some kind of internal way of grouping trinkets, so that some are more or less common in some games than others (and thus throwing some RNG into trinket-based builds). Like my brother hasn't gotten a single one of those, or [more vexingly for him] any Man-Slayer Rings; and we're in the 80s in weeks and with the nomad wagon maxed out for at least the last couple. And when Mog was streaming she'd never gotten a single Blasphemous Vial (nigh-on essential plague doctor item) while the two of us had each gotten and sold a couple. :shrug: With so many trinkets you'd expect the dice to favor and disfavor a few, but it makes you wonder.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm at like week 40 on my save, and I have yet to find a single head. I've fought the collector twice now, both time him only dropping a single Whateverahedron. Three secret rooms, two yielded only a disgusting amount of gold, and one time I was out of keys. I bet that one had all the heads.

:negative:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

My first run in with the Collector was in my second dungeon run ever. Thankfully, I already knew about the run button and this game does give mercy on you by letting you run from minibosses like him.

I ran into this guy in my 2nd dungeon as well since this LP got me back into this game. Either I hit a bug or if you stun him on the first turn his pattern switches, but he just tried to Life Drain after recovering from the stun, missed and then was stun locked again until he died the next turn. The Hound Master's Blackjack and the Bounty Hunter's Uppercut have a 75% chance to stun him in the novice dungeons, so if you get lucky and they go before him, you can wreck him.

Even if your team has a bunch of control it is better to take out the Highwayman heads before going for the Collector. Since they have a bleed attack and can hit any row, they can easily crit a squishy target, drop them to 0 and then the squishy bleeds to death before you can do anything. I'm still furious over that dead Jester.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 12, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Money waifu is good to me.

e: Also lol, just had the easiest Collector fight ever. First encounter in a Long novice dungeon since I was stocked with provisions: first turn Bounty Hunters stuns with a 75% chance, second turn Vestal stuns with a 50% chance, Collector is dead by the third turn having had no chance to do anything. Sadly all I got was a trapezohedron but it's basically a free 2.5k gold given how well that fight went.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 12, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
the pain of getting heads is nothing compared to the absolute nightmare that is getting those drat music boxes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Give grandad a hug!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hello I am pretty late with the new update

Episode 14: The Night Hag, Who are we gunning for next?

On the mod project, I mention it in episode 16 but I'll bring it up now: I'm up for taking recommendations on what to mod text-wise in the game. This is a dense project however with a lot of things to mod so if you're going to give recommendations:
-Act with discretion. It would be awful to be super excited and give me a list of everything only for me to skip most of it because...
-Be funny, unlike me. That's the whole point of this afterall.
-Try to recommend things that will be visually seen. Most of the stuff I did is things that don't get much screen time such as items or player attacks cause I'm dumb.

Any recommendations I like, I'll (hopefully) put it in the character recruitment listing. Here's hoping this LP gives something back to the community...?

Edit: Oh! As if by some freaky coincidence, Red Hook has posted the back-story for the Graverobber!

Edit mk2

Genocyber posted:

Money waifu is good to me.

I almost want to throw you off a cliff for that character's name.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 12, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Interesting, I always wondered why the Graverobber dropped the noble life to raid dungeons. Turns out she didn't exactly have a choice :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I ended up bypassing the Hags gimmick by going 'eff this' and blitzing her down while someone cooked in the pot. The pot also dumps people out once they hit Deaths Door, so that's nice.

Here's some text modding suggestions:

Change the Bleed debuff text to BLAHD! because there is a severe lack of vampires in all this spooky stuff.
Since you have such a problem remembering it, change the name of the Weald to the Not Warrens (or Spooky Forest for a non-W name.)
The Hunger! event title does not accurately summarize how annoying that mechanic is. It should instead be called 'The Munchies.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 12, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
by god, what have I unleashed

in my personal soveryfunny text mod I changed the death's door proc to "making GBS threads BRICKS HERE" and Surprise! to "RNG STRIKES AGAIN". I think I've shown the rest in the thread already.

Also, "Into the Pot!" has an accuracy of 102.5%. It's possible to dodge, but very unlikely. The average accuracy is about 80% in beginner dungeons. With a maxed out Grave Robber for beginner(20 Dodge base), two MAA bufs(+15 dodge) and the Vestal's buff(+10 Dodge) along with the Ancestor's Coat and Camouflage Cloak(+30 Dodge) you can get 75 base dodge chance, which is probably enough to dodge her grubby hands.

Of course, she can just decide to target something with less dodge.

Halser fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Edit: Oh! As if by some freaky coincidence, Red Hook has posted the back-story for the Graverobber!

That's really cool; are there those for other characters and if so where can I find them?

Also the only "Cujoh" I know of is one named Jolyne.

• Locked thread