Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Feel the burning light of the truth---you haven't even seen western animation's true form yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think you're retarded

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Poil posted:

There's even a second chapter, called The Day the White Lily was Painted Red. Oh...

I don't want to think about it!

Chapter 2 is happier than chapter 1. Go for it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hmmm steven universe is so good *poorly copies scenes from dozens of well known classic anime* hmm this is the good poo poo 👌💯👌💯

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hoho--- sounds like fighting words *strikes dramatic pose*

I bet Gumball is better than a majority of anime as well. *shots fired*

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Shinozaki is still good :colbert:.

And so is tomo-chan!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Davincie posted:

hmmm steven universe is so good *poorly copies scenes from dozens of well known classic anime* hmm this is the good poo poo 👌💯👌💯

This but unironically. It absorbs some of the flavor of each, without taking the baggage.

To be specific, I mean every part of your post, but saying it unironically.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
As it is, I live in a world where yuri anime and manga that I can actually enjoy come out at barely a trickle, and all the bigwigs seem too cowardly to risk money on a good show, and too stingey to invest in one properly

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I haven't seen any Steven Universe or know anything about it, but a very cursory googling suggests it's not doing anything more with the homosexual representation thing than Sailor Moon did in the 90s, which is another show I haven't seen.

I should probably stop trying to talk about things I haven't seen, actually.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Steven Universe is like super fuckin queer

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is possible to like and enjoy Steven Universe and anime at once

Why the gently caress are you morons slapfighting

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
They have a living walking manifestation of a gay relationship as one of the main characters, and one of the thirstiest gay rocks to ever exist as another main character. The thirsty one just got a chicks number after sucessfully escaping the fuzz a few minutes before in a 'dondai sumpremo'.
Which I believe is a reference to the Toyota Trueno AE86, which apparently was in some anime.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 10, 2016

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Steven Universe is like super fuckin queer

http://doctorglasgowart.tumblr.com/post/150133460655/becky-p-sucrose-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

thechosenone posted:

They have a living walking manifestation of a gay relationship as one of the main characters, and one of the thirstiest gay rocks to ever exist as another main character. The thirsty one just got a chicks number after sucessfully escaping the fuzz a few minutes before in a 'dondai sumpremo'.
Which I believe is a reference to the Toyota Trueno AE86, which apparently was in some anime.

I recommend checking in with the Steven Universe thread so we can go back to talking about shoujo and josei manga thx :toot:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

Shinozaki is still good :colbert:.

I still like it okay but at this point it's more for the funny faces, soft art-style that's quite cute, and 'what part of otaku culture will it reference next' more than the humor - which is definitely getting repetitive since it basically has three main gags that have all been worn quite far down at this point, broadly defined as 'gay panic', 'otaku panic' and 'otaku reference' - or any hope of romance progressing. It'll probably keep spinning its wheels on said romance with the idea that there's no hurry to get there, then eventually get canceled because its popularity drops/the author desperately wants to do something else, and half-rear end a kinda-sorta-not-really romantic ending. I mean I hope I'm wrong but drat girls. There's no excuse for things to go this slow.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
No problem, It is a bit off topic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

There's no excuse for things to go this slow.

Also this could basically be the thead motto at this point, with some few but notable exceptions. For longer-running series that is, thankfully the short/one-shot ones tend to get to the point in a bit more timely manner.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Though I really wonder how long it or just what it will take to force larger Japanese animation studios to get shaken up and try something new.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It would likely take a strong cultural shift in Japan, frankly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I saw a bunch of new posts and thought a new Yona dropped or something gently caress all y'all

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thechosenone posted:

mind directing me to these then, perhaps? would like something that is like steven universe in comic form.

Also, Steven universe is honestly better than most if not nearly all anime.

What I'm trying to say is that Western animation is slowly taking everything people like from anime, and doing it better.

reported for rulebreaking.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theres two new Pygmalio today and it has one of my favorite spreads of a shoujo comic in a while.

http://bato.to/reader#6ed508cae4c3a3f2_2

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

thechosenone posted:

Though I really wonder how long it or just what it will take to force larger Japanese animation studios to get shaken up and try something new.

Eventually ™

There's quite a lot of GL manga in the meantime.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yikes. I guess it really does seem like I don't enjoy anime. I really do like it, even if I'm often highly critical of it.

For example, an anime I find hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vVdh7d5IRY

Honestly, if I didn't like anime, I wouldn't watch it or post on adtrw.

I think it is okay to be critical of Japan BTW, it has a lot of our problems, some specifically magnified, but that doesn't mean Japan doesn't have nice folks, food, architecture, art, music, and parks just like everyone else.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I tell you what though, I really wish Kyoani would just have a anime where they pretend like their gonna tease some yuri then suddenly just slam it right in your face, completely out in the open.

And then get back to focusing on the main conceit of the show, with the open lesbians as a nice garnish, since I find focusing too much on the gay kind of takes away from a show, like too much parmasan on spaghetti*.

*mind you, for parmasan, it takes quite a bit to be to much. gotta love that naturally occurring msg.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 10, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Theres two new Pygmalio today and it has one of my favorite spreads of a shoujo comic in a while.

http://bato.to/reader#6ed508cae4c3a3f2_2

I wish Kurt would return the sword of earth back to its true form on the jokers talking about American cartoons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

I wish Kurt would return the sword of earth back to its true form on the jokers talking about American cartoons.

lmao

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

coathat posted:

No coathat, anime are the cartoons.

And then sempai was a mouse.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 10, 2016

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I thought we were talking about good mangas and instead, just another example of why Steven Universe fans are annoying

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thechosenone posted:

mind directing me to these then, perhaps? would like something that is like steven universe in comic form.

Also, Steven universe is honestly better than most if not nearly all anime.

What I'm trying to say is that Western animation is slowly taking everything people like from anime, and doing it better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Give me IK powers to never let this man post again. I'm not gonna use it for anything else, just probate this guy every 6 hours until the heat death of the universe.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 10, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hahahaha, jesus christ y'all took that bait so eagerly

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, Sailor Moon is good and worth watching, Zog.

The fact that I need to say so in this thread of all places is weird, tho.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

In terms of animation and mainstream works in general you're probably right, but there are manga that I don't think it'd be improper to describe as serious or genuine, like Uko's stuff.

theres actually so much wtf

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sailor moon has a slow start but i encourage everyone everywhere to watch it because once it gets going it never stops

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
choosenone you're doing it wrong. You have to be more subtle. There's no art in just calling all anime inferior schlock.

Also the kaguya comic has always been about two dumb assholes who deserve each other. That's the joke. It's funny.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm working through Tomo-chan, and the dramatic rise and fall involved in the MisuzuxJun flashback nearly defeated me

e: yowza

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pavlov posted:

Also the kaguya comic has always been about two dumb assholes who deserve each other. That's the joke. It's funny.
Yeah, but a gimmick can only go on for so long. I've not caught up yet, I think I'm 9 chapters in, but it can get stagnant when the concept of each chapter is essentially the same.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There's a reason why people in this thread say that Kaguya's good even after nine chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

I haven't seen any Steven Universe or know anything about it, but a very cursory googling suggests it's not doing anything more with the homosexual representation thing than Sailor Moon did in the 90s, which is another show I haven't seen.

I should probably stop trying to talk about things I haven't seen, actually.

That's the wrong conclusion. The correct conclusion is that you need to watch 90s Sailor Moon.