Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Something really unsettling about that house. The walls completely covered in art pieces. Enough seating for a family of two hundred. The pommel horse. The bizarre amount of hanging lights and chandeliers. The dining table with extremely inconvenient cuts taken out of the edges.

It's like a house you'd see in a movie, before the residents start getting murdered.

e: The giant safe in the living room, the chest used as a coffee table, whatever the hell those are draped over the single beds, the ridiculous amount of stuff on the back patio...

e2: lol that bathroom mirror

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There's just so much to process, we could call out individual elements for pages and pages. What the gently caress is hanging above the beds in the room with the two singles? It's like some sort of pointless canvas shade and a old timey sailor shirts.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Manslaughter posted:

e: The giant safe in the living room, the chest used as a coffee table, whatever the hell those are draped over the single beds, the ridiculous amount of stuff on the back patio...

e2: lol that bathroom mirror

e3: The library ladder hanging out right in front of the window with no shelving nearby

Unless one of the servants just forgot to put away the ladder and left it propped up in the corner... I can't tell

E4: the interior balcony railing to nowhere

It's like hgtv just threw up everywhere in there

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 8, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's like a Country Living test house

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I can't believe there's been 10 comments and nobody has mentioned the pommel horse in front of the bed...

But did you notice half a block and tackle hanging the light? :quagmire:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

The dining table with extremely inconvenient cuts taken out of the edges.

I'm pretty sure it's an old pool table.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I can't believe there's been 10 comments and nobody has mentioned the pommel horse in front of the bed...

How else do you expect a Gymkata Master to defend him/herself?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkata

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What about the simple things. Look at that loving floor trim. The base shoe matches the floor?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My take on that house is that it’s like if some indie game developer downloaded every free art asset they could find, then stuffed them all in the same house and cranked up the engine’s HDR.

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus I guess they dont have maximum lot coverage rules in Houston.

Houston: the largest city in the U.S. with no zoning laws.

Look at those lamps. :eyepop:

This room is like the waiting room in The Man in the High Castle where the kempetai take people they’re going to murder.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 9, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

What about the simple things. Look at that loving floor trim. The base shoe matches the floor?

It's when Lumber Liquidators or some other lovely franchise installs new hardwood floor without removing baseboards. Because they make more money from selling and nailing pre-stained matching shoe molding.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

I feel like I should be careful balancing my way across the rafters trying to retrieve my lost souls.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

That house looks like a house I'd take 3 weeks to decorate in The Sims 2 with all custom content, then get bored with and never play.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My take on that house is that it’s like if some indie game developer downloaded every free art asset they could find, then stuffed them all in the same house and cranked up the engine’s HDR.

Houston: the largest city in the U.S. with no zoning laws.

Look at those lamps. :eyepop:

This room is like the waiting room in The Man in the High Castle where the kempetai take people they’re going to murder.

I'll take 5 art please.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

:stare:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
New McMansion post and now I need a fantasy team or band name to be Ol' Brass 'n' Glass.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

What in the beige hell is wrong with Texas suburbia?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Today I learned 'jerkin head' is an actual architectural term. Thanks Worst of McMansions!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This roofline unironically owns.

Not the rest of the house, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

Realtors love using wide angle lenses to make houses look good so that you go in the house and realize the realtor is a liar immediately and to never look at anything repped by that person again

Holy poo poo is this the truth. They don't even try to hide that kitchens aren't really as small as they're trying to portray. Nope, slap a wide angle lens on the photo and hope nobody notices that the cabinet doors are 4 feet wide.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

This roofline unironically owns.

Not the rest of the house, though.

reminds me of the landscape tool in Sim City

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a good example of wide‐angle lenses distorting perception.

I think that keystone is, in fact, centred.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wide angle lenses are used to get as much of the room in one shot as possible without doing dumb panorama shots. AND they make the room look bigger.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SynthOrange posted:

Wide angle lenses are used to get as much of the room in one shot as possible without doing dumb panorama shots. AND they make the room look bigger.

This is true. And panoramas don’t solve the problem. You either project choose rectilinear projection and get the same “oh no that cabinet/left side of that arch is huge” problem or choose any other projection and bend lines (which is usually even worse).

That photo looks goofy, though. Shoot the staircase vertically. with artillery

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
The thing that bugged me most about the Houston house was the random bench in the middle of the goddamn master bathroom. Like the long suffering gold digger wife put it there so when her octogenarian husband gets up in the middle of the night to take a poo poo he will trip over it, crack his head on the tub, and she can finally run off to Paris with Carlos the pool boy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

The thing that bugged me most about the Houston house was the random bench in the middle of the goddamn master bathroom. Like the long suffering gold digger wife put it there so when her octogenarian husband gets up in the middle of the night to take a poo poo he will trip over it, crack his head on the tub, and she can finally run off to Paris with Carlos the pool boy.

Thought you guys were overdoing it here just for comedic effect... and then I looked. The loving wall baskets :psyduck:

I mean, to be fair, what I've seen of american interior design and architecture it's just all kinds of poor taste and hosed up, but this house is like a flamboyantly gay interior designer had an LSD-induced stroke and thought "you know what's kitchy? loving everything".

Marble kitchen countertops. loving everywhere.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 9, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You might also like...

Home of the Roma Kings

In a Romanian farm town, once itinerant traders have struck it rich, replacing caravans with mansions.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/wealthy-roma/oneill-text

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Once upon a time they probably had a fire drill and a bunch of people ended up in the basement perhaps?

Not just a drill. If you're in a building fire and it's dark and smokey and you can't see, it's a safety measure to people don't continue down to the basement and roast.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
It's weird that there's thousands, hundreds of thousands, of huge homes like this. People with just enough money to buy their "dream house" but with no taste or dreams of their own. They just buy "upper middle class to rich house package" off a literal assembly line. It's cheap garbage but it's marketed to tasteless money-havers and they are assured that once purchase they will officially be living correctly like rich people who own the fine things. They then putter around in these massive impersonal houses spending a fortune on upkeep and cleaning staff to keep the dust off their hoard of cheap tacky garbage.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I think it would be better if it just came off of a literal assembly line, the worst is when people want to make a design their own by adding elements that no sane designer would have included in the first place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Shoot the staircase vertically. with artillery
You got me :laffo:

Keep up the good work, thread.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Nitrox posted:

It's when Lumber Liquidators or some other lovely franchise installs new hardwood floor without removing baseboards. Because they make more money from selling and nailing pre-stained matching shoe molding.

I still don't get it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
So I know nothing about planes or hangars, I'm not an architect or an engineer. But some how a local flying club is entrusting my opinion on how to install a bunch of giant plane sized lift things in order for them to double their hangar space. They gave me a list of their current planes and some info on this lift (which looks legit) and told me to come up with a plan to maximize the amount of planes they can stack.

I came up with this

Everyone seems happy, large amounts of money is going to be spent, planes are going to be stacked on top of each other, and I'm terrified I measured something wrong or don't understand something about planes or hangars and the whole thing is going to end up a burning pile of aluminum and canvas. Or it will work out just fine!! I don't want my work to become a crappy construction tale, or a OSHA thread topic...

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

devicenull posted:

I'm pretty sure it's an old pool table.

That is definitely an old pool table, and just flat out weird. I love pool tables but c'mon, at least spend a few minutes prettying up the edges or something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Baronjutter posted:

So I know nothing about planes or hangars, I'm not an architect or an engineer. But some how a local flying club is entrusting my opinion on how to install a bunch of giant plane sized lift things in order for them to double their hangar space. They gave me a list of their current planes and some info on this lift (which looks legit) and told me to come up with a plan to maximize the amount of planes they can stack.

I came up with this

Everyone seems happy, large amounts of money is going to be spent, planes are going to be stacked on top of each other, and I'm terrified I measured something wrong or don't understand something about planes or hangars and the whole thing is going to end up a burning pile of aluminum and canvas. Or it will work out just fine!! I don't want my work to become a crappy construction tale, or a OSHA thread topic...

This seriously needs its own thread. Where the hell are you doing this that simply buying/renting/building another hangar is more expensive than replicating the aircraft handling system from the USS Akron?

What the hell are they using to lift the aircraft with?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It doesn't seem that strange to me. Airplanes are extremely light relative to their footprint. The lifts are probably $10k-$15k each (and there at least a few commercial options available). If rental space is expensive (or simply unavailable), it could pay off pretty quickly.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sorta like this?
https://youtu.be/hT9EEjDFD7w

We keep all our maintenance spares in these where I work, and I've seen it scaled up to cars in dense-pack auto garages but both the execution and reasoning to apply it to aircraft is lost on me.

Can you link us to some existing installs of this thing?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Much simpler than that. Aircraft hangar lifts

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
As someone who recently had a job that involved spending a lot of time scaling and working (anchored in) on rooftops, these houses literally haunted my nightmares.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Screw the Akron, go full Evangelion and move all aircraft storage underground, only invest in one lift. Way cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zhentar posted:

Much simpler than that. Aircraft hangar lifts

Missed their chance to call them hangar hangers