Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vanderdeath posted:

Mos def. The final two seasons of Law and Order were fantastic and a return to form due to him and Anthony Anderson, also because of Linus Roache and de la Garza pairing well with Sam Waterston.

I'm still pissed off about it getting cancelled because it rivaled the best years of L&O (Orbach and Noth/Orbach and Martin).

Speaking of Linus Roache and Jeremy Sisto, they were both great in Kidnapped. Which works as a really fun mini-series if you can find it anywhere. Also stars Delroy Lindo, Timothy Hutton, and Dana Delany with guest stars like Mykelti Williamson, Giancarlo Esposito, Ricky Jay, and James Urbaniak. So you really can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Speaking of Linus Roache and Jeremy Sisto, they were both great in Kidnapped. Which works as a really fun mini-series if you can find it anywhere. Also stars Delroy Lindo, Timothy Hutton, and Dana Delany with guest stars like Mykelti Williamson, Giancarlo Esposito, Ricky Jay, and James Urbaniak. So you really can't go wrong.

I remember when that was broadcast in the UK and getting pretty into it. It's disappointing it didn't get another season. I seem to recall it was on at the same time as a similar series called Vanished, except from what I remember, Vanished went from being "the senator's wife has been kidnapped" to trying to be Lost and becoming "the senator's wife has been kidnapped... and it's part of an Illuminati conspiracy against the government / a plot to engineer the end of the world" or something.

Like most of the Lost clones, it was cancelled without resolving its story, but an interesting factoid is that the showrunner of Bones at the time insisted that the mystery of Vanished would be resolved in whatever the next season of Bones would be, and then nothing ever came of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember when that was broadcast in the UK and getting pretty into it. It's disappointing it didn't get another season. I seem to recall it was on at the same time as a similar series called Vanished, except from what I remember, Vanished went from being "the senator's wife has been kidnapped" to trying to be Lost and becoming "the senator's wife has been kidnapped... and it's part of an Illuminati conspiracy against the government / a plot to engineer the end of the world" or something.

Like most of the Lost clones, it was cancelled without resolving its story, but an interesting factoid is that the showrunner of Bones at the time insisted that the mystery of Vanished would be resolved in whatever the next season of Bones would be, and then nothing ever came of it.

Vanished is one of my favorite shows to reference when people ask for really bad shows. Because it's amazing how awful it was. They ended up killing the main character like six episodes in and it piled so many mysteries on so quick it managed to make Lost look like a simplistic Dr Seuss book at the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vanderdeath posted:

The Returned (US) was good but they made the mistake of putting Jeremy Sisto in there. I think every show he's been in recently has gotten the kiss of death. :(

e: Wait, Suburgatory went on for three seasons? drat.

Still miss that show, although the beginning half of the 3rd season was just a mess. Even more fun to go back since watching Mr Robot, Carly Chaikin is the best.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

He sucked as a bipolar in Six Feet Under

I loved that (spoilers for Six Feet Under's ending) Brenda died while Jeremy Sisto's character continued to prattle on at her. It was very fitting. :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think claire danes saw his lovely performance and modelled her own after it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

X-O posted:

The whole series is often on crackle, although it may be some time until it returns since it just left last month. Usually 1 season shows leave for about 6 mo unless they land elsewhere.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Atlanta is loving BRILLIANT.

Homeslice in the jail talking about his day. :allears: That guys needs his own gig.

Wish i could quote it, but i'm white.

Great show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rocksicles posted:

Atlanta is loving BRILLIANT.

Homeslice in the jail talking about his day. :allears: That guys needs his own gig.

Wish i could quote it, but i'm white.

Great show.

The best part about Atlanta is the white guy that works at the radio station who felt comfortable about saying nigga in front of him because he's a non-threatening black dude. I've had that happen to me and I never thought I'd see that portrayed in a show so accurately.

Also the part with Paper Boi and his friend in the J.R. Crickets was loving gold. J.R. Crickets chicken is delicious and the whole "lemon pepper wings with the sauce" thing is such an Atlanta native reference that I couldn't help but be :allears: about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta needs a thread. I wish I was less lazy so I would make it. It could possibly be the best new show of the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

The best part about Atlanta is the white guy that works at the radio station who felt comfortable about saying nigga in front of him because he's a non-threatening black dude. I've had that happen to me and I never thought I'd see that portrayed in a show so accurately.

Also the part with Paper Boi and his friend in the J.R. Crickets was loving gold. J.R. Crickets chicken is delicious and the whole "lemon pepper wings with the sauce" thing is such an Atlanta native reference that I couldn't help but be :allears: about it.

Hoping to see Deacon the Villain or Natti get a lickle cameo.

All great characters.

Homie in jail with his girlfriend HAHAHAHHA. That's some classic poo poo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Escobarbarian posted:

Atlanta needs a thread. I wish I was less lazy so I would make it. It could possibly be the best new show of the season.

If no one's done it by tomorrow evening, I'll make one when I get back in.

Rocksicles posted:

Hoping to see Deacon the Villain or Natti get a lickle cameo.

All great characters.

Homie in jail with his girlfriend HAHAHAHHA. That's some classic poo poo.

e: Sneak cameos for all of the Cunninglynguists, Killer Mike and Rich Homie Quan.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 9, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

e: Sneak cameos for all of the Cunninglynguists, Killer Mike and Rich Homie Quan.

I'm all in for that.

These guys are my jam atm. Mancunian rappers with DnB. These guys are all world class MC's and stone broke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZmmXaKxL7s

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 9, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's grime, sounds existed for years but nobody out of the UK really likes it. It's a very London thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those are the whitest grime rappers I've seen in my life

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I did not expect Atlanta to be loving funny. It's hilarious, Donald Glover has great comic timing even if he's not emoting great. It seems very dark.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Atlantic held on to Lasers, and forced him to use pop beats and hooks that they wanted him to use.(they gave him the hook and wanted Words I've Never Said to be a love song lol) Because he wouldn't sign a 360 deal(Atlantic gets paid not only off like album sales or music related things, but from every single thing you do) They held on to Lasers and were going to hold on to Tetsuo and Youth(his final album to complete his deal) until "anonymous" threatened to hack and release info they had from Atlantic records, and they just said gently caress it and let Lupe make the album he wanted to make and release it.

loving brutal. It feels like an artist of his statute doesn't even need a record label.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He sucked as a bipolar in Six Feet Under

Well any one in Claire's sub-plots usually sucked, I don't really blame him for that.

EDIT:

X-O posted:

Vanished is one of my favorite shows to reference when people ask for really bad shows. Because it's amazing how awful it was. They ended up killing the main character like six episodes in and it piled so many mysteries on so quick it managed to make Lost look like a simplistic Dr Seuss book at the time.

The Event still has the high water-mark for crazy rear end plots piled on top of each other (the show with the guy from ER also was pretty bananas too).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

The Event still has the high water-mark for crazy rear end plots piled on top of each other (the show with the guy from ER also was pretty bananas too).

I remember that show.

My favorite Lost ripoff though was probably Flashforward. It got stupid and didn't get renewed, but it had some neat ideas. And by it, I mean that the book it was based on probably had some neat ideas which were good for a show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wow, I did not expect Atlanta to be loving funny. It's hilarious, Donald Glover has great comic timing even if he's not emoting great. It seems very dark.

The advertising was a strange choice. It didn't sell comedy at all.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, none of the promo stuff pushes the comedy beat and I thought it was a "Donald Glover wants to be a Real Actor" vehicle but instead it's kind of a magical-realism comedy of errors in Atlanta. It's not nearly as...I dunno what to call it, besides "fresh". It's not like a lot of American television. And that makes sense, the pilot was directed by Japanese guy and Donald Glover wrote the script, explaining the comedy.

Darius is like a work of art. I wonder if the Man in the Suit is God, and the Dog is the devil. They go off with each other and then only the dog is visible in the big moment.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's not nearly as...I dunno what to call it, besides "fresh". It's not like a lot of American television.

It fits in with Girls and Looking in terms of genre, style (both visual and narrative) and themes, just in its own location and demographic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WHOA it's totally weird when NewsRadio starts adding these awkward-looking cast shots into the opening titles

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair, it's hard to sell absurdist and surrealist humor in a 15 or 30 second format.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

Well any one in Claire's sub-plots usually sucked, I don't really blame him for that.

EDIT:

Don't remind me of Zero Hour. I'm still sad about that one. Nazi Super Scientists vs Rosicrucians in a decades long secret war of conspiracy is like a series that was made to appeal to me and it was beyond awful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Let's clone Jesus and bring about the Apocalypse!" was quite possibly one of the best and craziest plots for a TV show ever.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

X-O posted:

Believe it because it's true.

Details on Weiling being the reason why Smallville never put the Superman suit on him? Seemed like a higher up decision.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TV Zombie posted:

Details on Weiling being the reason why Smallville never put the Superman suit on him? Seemed like a higher up decision.

The earlier show runners said no suit no flying and then by the time they left Weiling was a producer so he had the power

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the impression I always got was that the original "no suit" thing gave way when "no flight" did and they had a god damned Justice League but Welling would never get on board because he didn't want to be stuck as a silly super hero.

Sucker. He misread that one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Escobarbarian posted:

WHOA it's totally weird when NewsRadio starts adding these awkward-looking cast shots into the opening titles

They're good and there are a few variations of them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Every single episode of Eric Andre this season has been better than the last. It's incredible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is totally the wrong place for this but it is technically TV chat, so gently caress it.

My big screen HD broke down and I replaced with an Ultra HD TV and holy poo poo do I hate how everything looks now. What the gently caress? Is this how TV has been looking and I didn't realize it? Why is there some weird foreground/background separation or something? Its like some kind of "natural" feel that enters the uncanny valley or something. Its creeping me out! How do I make it stop!

Am I crazy? From what I can tell its "high-dynamic-range imaging" that's freaking me out. Is this something anyone else can sympathize with or have I just lost my mind?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

This is totally the wrong place for this but it is technically TV chat, so gently caress it.

My big screen HD broke down and I replaced with an Ultra HD TV and holy poo poo do I hate how everything looks now. What the gently caress? Is this how TV has been looking and I didn't realize it? Why is there some weird foreground/background separation or something? Its like some kind of "natural" feel that enters the uncanny valley or something. Its creeping me out! How do I make it stop!

Am I crazy? From what I can tell its "high-dynamic-range imaging" that's freaking me out. Is this something anyone else can sympathize with or have I just lost my mind?

Image interpolation is the effect most TVs have enabled by default that make it look fucky to a discerning eye, look for some setting named [adjective]Motion or Motion[adjective] on your TV and that's probably it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

They're good and there are a few variations of them.

Just had the one in the episode where Catherine leaves, that was pretty great

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Are you talking about the thing that makes everything look unnaturally smooth like a soap opera, or is there some new weird thing that newer TVs are doing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HDR in TV is just a color thing.

You actually probably are looking at motion interpolation. This page has a list of manufacturers and their brand names for the feature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

It's usually somewhere in your Picture/Video settings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

Are you talking about the thing that makes everything look unnaturally smooth like a soap opera, or is there some new weird thing that newer TVs are doing?

Yeah, its something like that. Its some weird way with how people move, and I guess my mind was kind of interpreting that as an issue with foreground/background since I was watching the person move in the foreground vs the background? I don't know. I've had it since yesterday morning and I haven't been able to put my finger on it. And it doesn't happen with everything, just more actiony/movement (like a Sorkin type of "everyone's moving around and the camera's constantly moving) shows. So I don't really notice it when I have the news on or watching football/baseball but I flip to a movie or a show and suddenly its happening again.

Guy Mann posted:

Image interpolation is the effect most TVs have enabled by default that make it look fucky to a discerning eye, look for some setting named [adjective]Motion or Motion[adjective] on your TV and that's probably it.

I found something called "Auto Motion" and turning that off seemed to help. I think if I play with the brightness and contrast a bit I might be fine. Thank you. That was really freaking me out for some reason.

Aphrodite posted:

HDR in TV is just a color thing.

You actually probably are looking at motion interpolation. This page has a list of manufacturers and their brand names for the feature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

It's usually somewhere in your Picture/Video settings.

Yeah, you nailed it. I appreciate it. I really can't wrap my mind around how much that was bothering me. Thanks.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 10, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just finished binge-watching One Mississippi on Amazon Prime, the new Tig Notaro show that had its pilot debut last year, and had the entire season premiere today. The whole season, including that pilot, is six episodes, so you can get through it very quickly, and you will want to. It's very good, especially if you already like Tig. (We do -- we've enjoyed her recent wave of well-deserved fame and even caught her live last year.)

We found the show funnier than the pilots of Atlanta and Better Things, well-written, well-acted, well-paced, good music choices, poignant, life-affirming and depressing all at the same time. Some of the stylistic flourishes felt a lot like Louie, which makes sense, since Louis C.K. has an Executive Producer credit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. The Community finale was basically perfect.

Now I'm starting CSI. Ive seen most of CSI, but never from the beginning or strictly in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Starting Americans Season 3. Pretty hyped for it even over Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2 waiting in the backlog.

• Locked thread