Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Orange honestly isn't that bad. I did green once with a friend and it was pointless.

I get to make my fastpasses on Saturday! :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Orange is pretty mild compared to a lot of the top roller coasters out there. The g's are intense if you're new to it, but the design means that the motion is very smooth and gradual instead of whipping you around like a Cedar Point coaster.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I can ride literally any roller coaster, but the "gravitron" rides (centrifuge-style like Mission Space uses) are the only thing that have almost made me sick - like, hovering over a garbage can for five minutes trying not to throw up.

Something about the constant lateral G-forces really messes with me in a way that even the most extreme roller coaster doesn't.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Abu Dave posted:

Im debating on taking a tour my next trip to Disney World; any tours you guys reccomend?

I was thinkin Backstage Tales at AK, or Marceline ot Magic Kingdom or the Train tour. :shrug:

I *love* tours, and seeing how the magic is made, and I've been happy with all the tours I've taken so far.

Backstage Tales was neat, got to wander around behind the scenes at animal kingdom, get to walk through pangani trail before the park opens, feed some birds, see the vets, I got up close with a rhino, learn some interesting things. However opposed to what i had been told, you do *not* get to take a lemur home at the end.

I've been on Behind the Seeds at Epcot 3 times now, it's also the cheapest tour available, and doesn't have advance sign ups, so can be a spur of the moment thing after you ride Living With The Land. But I grew up on a farm, so I'm super into agricultural stuff.

I did the old segway tour at Epcot, which I guess was replaced with The UnDISCOVERed Future World, it was pretty interesting but overall kinda meh. Again, got to wander around the park before it opened, which was neat.

Backstage Magic was *awesome*. 7 hours, so if you do it that'll take a day from your trip. I did it a decade ago, so I don't know if they're still doing the same activities, but the whole thing was a blast. One of my favorite things was going backstage of The American Adventure while it was going. Also got to see costume shops, go into the utilidor at MK, see some offices where the hallways were decorated by different teams, just neat stuff all day long.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the advice im super excited for em now, although need to see about transportation to the parks before they open!!

I really want to see some animatornics up close, so i'm thinking maybe Marceline to the MK if that does take you into the HM and such.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks for the advice im super excited for em now, although need to see about transportation to the parks before they open!!

Uber or Lyft. Like half the price of a taxi, did that last trip to do Backstage Tales, and got dropped off right up front of AK before they opened the parking lot.

With the 7 hour tour, we got to go into the animatronics workshop. Seeing an entire table full of unpainted, eyeless Small World doll heads still haunts my dreams. (also fun fact, did you realize the faces are uni-sex? Same face for all race/genders)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Unfortunately we're not staying on premises, which I'm super bummed about. The reason we're going at the worst time of year is because we're staying at a friend's timeshare for free. Otherwise I'd never pick that week. This will be the first of many trips, though.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

demonR6 posted:

yeah but they covered up Jasmine.. NO MORE BELLY BUTTON!

Good, maybe now she won't get groped so much.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Good, maybe now she won't get groped so much.

And that right there is why I can't get too mad about the change. People are gross.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

And that right there is why I can't get too mad about the change. People are gross.

I bet that has to be a huge problem.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Apparently creeps are a big problem for all the princesses. A former friend of Belle reports:

quote:

Another tricky thing was the creepy dads who would whisper in my ear when their kids were taking pictures with me. They'd say, "When the Beast goes to bed, I'll be waiting for you in the library." All I could think was, God, I'd hate to be your wife. I couldn't break character, but I would always address it and say something like, "Um, I go to bed when the Beast goes to bed." One of my friends, an Aurora from Sleeping Beauty, her skirt was unzipped and one of the dads stuck his hand in the zipper. Luckily there are petticoats underneath, but he was totally feeling her butt outside of the petticoat.

:barf:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't forget about the Cinderella that literally got picked up and carried out of the room. Is there not a security protocol to punish the creeps?

Kung Fu Candy
Oct 28, 2010
I just wanted to thank you guys for the thread. We just got back from our trip to wdw and because of the tips in here i made sure that we saw the hoop dee doo musical revue and got one of the souveneir country bear jug mugs. It was an amazing jam packed trip and the advice here was super helpful.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Going to be in WDW next week and have a free day, is the waterpark worth it? Assuming it doesn't rain. Also we got the free meal plan, is it useable at the water park?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nodelphi posted:

Going to be in WDW next week and have a free day, is the waterpark worth it? Assuming it doesn't rain. Also we got the free meal plan, is it useable at the water park?
I really like the water parks. Personally, I think Blizzard Beach is the better of the two, but they're both fun.

And rain? As long as there isn't lightning, a rainstorm is the best time to go! It's Florida, so it'll still be plenty warm, and you're going to be wet anyway, right? And less chance of sunburn! But the water parks empty out when it rains, which means no lines and lots of extra rides down the slides.

The meal plans work at the water parks (or did as of last year), but the food is pretty poor counter service across the board. You probably won't need a full day at either water park, so maybe eat a huge breakfast, then go someplace better for a late lunch?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Eat big breakfast. If you get hungry, they sell literal sand pails filled with ice cream. Just get that and be a child for a day.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is making fastpasses morning of release still 6am? I heard it went to 7am, but not sure.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

7 am EST.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I've heard the niece and nephew say Hocus Pocus Party Potion so many times now that it's lost all meaning.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh my god we just ate at Ohana and I'm dead. Posting while animated by the bread pudding in my system.

Welp time to cash in that evening FP at tower of terror. Hopefully my puke isn't caught on camera.

Edit: also to ask a question that isn't a thinly veiled way to talk about how happy I am to be here: what is the center area of Future World called? With the big fountain and the weird awning? It feels like it should have a name - everything else does, after all.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If it has a name, I don't know it.

I just looked it up and the fountain is named Fountain of Nations.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 11, 2016

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Braksgirl posted:

If it has a name, I don't know it.

I just looked it up and the fountain is named Fountain of Nations.

Pretty sure the plaza behind Spaceship Earth and between the Innoventions buildings is just called Innoventions Plaza.

Heard a rumor that the Star Wars fireworks are going away this winter. I really hope not because my cousin and his little sons are going down with us in February and Star Wars is the only Disney thing they're all in for. I get the sense that they really don't know what else there is to see and do there. Tellingly, they're arriving late one night, staying one full day, and leaving the next afternoon. And they're counting on Auntie Rahona to show them all the cool stuff. :psyduck:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I saw a thing on Facebook that it's ending in October? Possibly due to them revamping to focus on less projections due to difficulty viewing the show unless you're right in front of the Chinese theater.
Rivers of Light is potentially to start up soon, which makes me wonder if they push back the AK closing time an hour or two.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone here received their Vintage Ears T-Shirts yet? I think it was some of you who also ordered one. I haven't gotten my WDW Preview Center one yet :qq:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Officially submitted an entry to the Disney Mom's Panel. A goon is definitely needed to give sanity to the Mouse.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Star wars fireworks better not be gone in October because they allowed us to purchase dessert party tickets for it on Halloween.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Has anyone here received their Vintage Ears T-Shirts yet? I think it was some of you who also ordered one. I haven't gotten my WDW Preview Center one yet :qq:

Not yet. I got the X-S Tech.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Got back, am going through photos. Disney has 576 photos of us from our trip. This...could take a while to whittle down into ones worth printing.

I also got some good photos off my camera. Remind me, this thread approves of pictures, right?

EDIT: I should say that the trip was amazeballs. I dunno if anyone reads this thread wondering if they should go but the answer to any of those lurkers is "yes." Thanks to Braksgirl for the booking as well; the meal plan she secured for us led to some great meals. The Wave is so amazing, it's a little sad to think that at some point, someone has redeemed a meal credit at Tony's Town Square.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 12, 2016

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Not yet. I got the X-S Tech.

Same. I'm thinking more towards end of September at this point.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Pththya-lyi posted:

Apparently creeps are a big problem for all the princesses. A former friend of Belle reports:

Very interesting article. I like the part where she, as a "face" actor, was paid significantly more over the costume actors (which still, of course, amounted to less than $10 an hour).

And how the costumed actors hated the face actors for getting something approaching a livable wage while people regularly passed out in the costumes in the hot Florida sun, making $7.50 an hour.

Also the parts where girls were disallowed for things like their arms getting slightly chubbier or getting some typical hormonal acne.

Oh and how you literally have to smile for your entire shift, and if you're caught in a picture not smiling at any time, you're repremanded.

And this:

quote:

We couldn't spend too much time playing with the kids though, because we had to greet 172 guests per hour. Disney decided that was the magic number. An attendant would have a clicker to count the number of people we met, and if we went under, we would get a reprimand. If you get four reprimands, you get fired

Truly, TRULY the happiest place on earth everyone. Truly just such a majestic place, by all accounts. Where the magic happens, to be sure. I cry every time I visit. Just such a glorious way to spend time, with horrifically underpaid wage slaves who are forced to smile for their entire shifts or they'll get fired, or they're fired if they meet with less than 172 loving guests per hour.

Sorry but this is a loving sham and everyone should feel bad for giving Disney money. But even more specifically you should probably take a good look at yourselves and try to understand why this entire city full of fake-smiling wage slaves is your favorite place on earth.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the PSA. There's plenty of cast members here who are happy with their role.

In other news- toy story land looks to be coming along with demolition and World Drive is seeing construction around Studios as well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Taima posted:

Truly, TRULY the happiest place on earth everyone.[/b] Truly just such a majestic place, by all accounts. Where the magic happens, to be sure. I cry every time I visit. Just such a glorious way to spend time, with horrifically underpaid wage slaves who are forced to smile for their entire shifts or they'll get fired, or they're fired if they meet with less than 172 loving guests per hour.

Sorry but this is a loving sham and everyone should feel bad for giving Disney money. But even more specifically you should probably take a good look at yourselves and try to understand why this entire city full of fake-smiling wage slaves is your favorite place on earth.

You first?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Taima posted:

Truly, TRULY the happiest place on earth everyone. Truly just such a majestic place, by all accounts. Where the magic happens, to be sure. I cry every time I visit. Just such a glorious way to spend time, with horrifically underpaid wage slaves who are forced to smile for their entire shifts or they'll get fired, or they're fired if they meet with less than 172 loving guests per hour.

Disney treat my wife great and has given her 5 raises in a year and a half putting her at double what she started out at. She also has paid sick days, plenty of paid vacation time, great health benefits, education opportunities, among a myriad of other perks.

Sure, there are lovely jobs at Disney, especially entry level or summer job type stuff, but there's also a lot of great career paths in the company and they take care of their people.

EDIT: Show us where Micky Mouse touched you.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm 100% happy with my decision to go to Disney half price just for selling a product that sells itself, thanks.

Somebody up there needs a little nap.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People work for Disney because they like to make people happy, like to touch lives (which is corny but ya know). Yeah maybe the pay sucks for most jobs or it's a hard job or its a job with rules that would make Hooters look like a shining example of EEO, but for some just working at Disney is a dream so :shrug: They knew what they were getting itno

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my family is going to be in Disney for my mom's birthday, and while she said she didn't want presents (the trip to Disney is generally enough for her), me and my sister want to surprise her with one of those dope-looking dome cakes from Amorette's. If I asked a cast member if they could keep it for a few hours and slip into our room and put it in the fridge while we're out at dinner that night, would they do that for us? My other option is just hiding it in the freezer until we leave and then slipping it in the fridge, but I don't want to look too suspicious if I don't have to.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yoshifan823 posted:

So my family is going to be in Disney for my mom's birthday, and while she said she didn't want presents (the trip to Disney is generally enough for her), me and my sister want to surprise her with one of those dope-looking dome cakes from Amorette's. If I asked a cast member if they could keep it for a few hours and slip into our room and put it in the fridge while we're out at dinner that night, would they do that for us? My other option is just hiding it in the freezer until we leave and then slipping it in the fridge, but I don't want to look too suspicious if I don't have to.

I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I would say it will be easier to do if you're staying at a property that has private dining (aka room service, like Yacht Club or Contemproary, for instance.) I know that if you want to order a cake from Disney and get it delivered to your room, it has to be from a resort that has private dining. Otherwise, I doubt they'd hold and deliver a cake.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Taima posted:

And how the costumed actors hated the face actors for getting something approaching a livable wage while people regularly passed out in the costumes in the hot Florida sun, making $7.50 an hour.

I got more than twice that salary back in the 90's... but then again, my labor wasn't unskilled.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The costumed cast make a lot more than 7.50. hell, I'm just a dude who pushes a button to make the spooky ride go and I get paid 10 dollars an hour (not counting any premiums I get for being a trainer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The costumed cast make a lot more than 7.50. hell, I'm just a dude who pushes a button to make the spooky ride go and I get paid 10 dollars an hour (not counting any premiums I get for being a trainer)

And since it's an Omnimover you only have to push the button once!!!